ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan State Observations

With all due respect, BC has been on here a lot more than you. You can rant all you want. But I didn't see you here making your own predictions. Only now beating people up over what they've said...

Yeah I just called him out because its easy to keep changing predictions. He's on ignore because (not actual quotes) "Purdue is going to suck" to revising to "Purdue should win so many more games" to "how can we lose to Minnesota or Wisconsin!?" and "Purdue's defense is dominant". It's OK to be wrong, but watch the games, and be more even keeled and realistic. The offense has under-performed and the defense has essentially over performed, and played better than expected.

You wanted some of my predictions, this was fun to compile.
https://purdue.forums.rivals.com/threads/four-star-recruits.187841/#post-2504363
February 20, 2020
The program is trending upward in talent, depth, Purdue’s AD/board support and recruiting outside of the Midwest. Yes, there’s been some bad games especially since the Music city bowl, but the program has been competitive in a lot of games in the Brohm era, which is a lot better than before.

We all want results now, but 17 wins in 3 years which includes some good conference wins, two bowls and some national exposure gives me hope. I think 2020 is going to be a tough up and down year, our non-conference is brutal and there’s still some depth issues, but I also think we have a punchers chance in all our 2020 games.

I absolutely can’t wait for what 2021 brings and Boiler Up!

https://purdue.forums.rivals.com/threads/big-recruiting-weekend-3-6-and-3-7.189092/#post-2527137
March 8, 2020
I think 2021 class has a ton of potential. Since it won’t be a full class, we won’t be pushing for a recruiting top 20 ranking, but our average recruit ranking should go up for the 4th year in a row (via 247), how can we not be excited about Purdue football? I can’t wait for the 2021 season (yes 2021), you can quote me, Purdue will be ranked.

https://purdue.forums.rivals.com/th...lysis-of-purdue-football.194506/#post-2654128
July 16, 2020
I think that's the best part of the graphics. We have posters either for or against Purdue (and the current coaching staff) on this board that try to look at W-L as the only metric of a coaches success.

While W-L is very important, I think these graphics demonstrate that prior to Brohm, Purdue football was historically poor in relation to both the conference and college football performance. Kudos to the current staff to dig out of the hole. While I'm optimistic (if games are played) of the results that could happen in 2020, I think 2021 is going to be a really great year for Purdue football.

https://purdue.forums.rivals.com/threads/depth-and-youth.199281/#post-2756510
Nov 4, 2020
This team is still very very young. That’s why I’m so excited about 2021 season and beyond with the exception of losing two 5th year DL and a reliable kicker. We will be ranked in 2021 at some point... my point is the same as yours, youth is plentiful, we will have more growing pains this year, but consider of the 44 current 2 deep positions, 34+ returning players next year plus other 2019 & 2020 recruits have a chance to step up.

https://purdue.forums.rivals.com/threads/pattern-repeats-itself.199943/#post-2771123
Nov 15, 2020
Brohm has shown the ability to recruit, score points, beat impressive teams, make the team competitive and play in 1 possession games. The team is continuing to trend upwards.
I like Aidan but he’s not dual threat. Hopefully we find a difference maker / game changer at QB sooner rather than later. It seems to me the other pieces of the team have a good foundation laid.

Can’t wait for 2021 especially.

https://purdue.forums.rivals.com/threads/good-to-see-football-back.206758/#post-2921245
Feb 19, 2021
Even if you throw in the full $16.8M add to his contract (not accounting for the additional year you'd pay someone else at least $3.5M, etc) the football team is still money ahead with the Brohm hire. Again, I'm not discussing merit of the hire or extension, just the economics of what Brohm brought to Purdue football.

Regarding 2021, having Notre Dame and Ohio State (CFP participants) in the schedule is not ideal, I think this team is a lot more solid than years past. I expect good things in 2021. I just wish there was a dynamic QB to take the offense (and team) to the next level.

Do I know what Purdue's record will be? No, but there have been multiple other signs (besides W-L) that the team was trending, albeit slower than preferred, in the right direction for awhile, but so is the league. The July 16, 2020 thread is pretty interesting Purdue football historical analysis via charts.

There are losses that really are frustrating and sting, and Purdue still has plenty of work and development to do, but this team is in much better shape than 2016. It is competitive. It helps to have a potential 1st round draft pick DE. If we can get a game-changing QB, there's some really good days ahead. There's some potential QB's that fit that mold on the team and committed already.

Think about it a different way, look at the mindset the week before playing #8 Notre Dame, #2 Iowa and #5 Michigan State. The optimism is there that we can hang with and potentially beat these highly ranked teams. Let that sink in.

By the way, I'm glad my predictions in March 2020 (after a 4-8 season) and November 2020 (during a 2-4 season), that we would be ranked in 2021, when things weren't great, came true. We haven't been ranked since 2007? Looking back, that seemed like a bold prediction.

Hopefully with Horvath back from injury, the offense can be balanced and come alive again since the defense has to guard the run. Scoring 13 points in 4 games after his injury really hurt. If you think about it, since his injury, in 5 games Purdue's put up 13, 13, 13, 24, 13 with 12 turnovers. With him playing in 3 games, Purdue put up 30, 49 and 28 with 1 turnover. It's against different types of teams, but the point is the same. The offense can function better.

Still think we need to score 28+ to have a chance against Michigan St. Haven't played great at home in two months (think ILL, MINN, WISC) but hopefully that was matchup issues more than anything. GO BOILERS!

"Deserve" is an interesting word. Im not sure any coaches deserve how much they make, but they make it nonetheless.

My point is that LSU, USC, etc. have no issue paying him $8 million to steal him. MSU has the money to keep him (as do all big ten schools), its just a matter of dedicating those resources.

$2 million more to a coach could lead to hundreds of millions more to the university in the long run. For example, MSU is trying to raise $30 million in donations to update facilities. Reports say they have received over $10 million between Saturday afternoon and today. Those donations (primarily one major one) don't come in without us being 8-0.

I'm not sure why a school like MSU would risk losing that over $2 million

Unsure if I used deserve or if you were just saying it in general, but agree. I used that same rational when Purdue increased Brohm's contract. Purdue was still money ahead.

There is always a lot of discussion of his pay on this board. His pay is high relative to a lot of other factors, which I am not debating or referencing.

However, I will offer a different perspective, like a CEO of a business. If the business makes more money in profit, does the CEO deserve more pay? IE think profit sharing (bonuses) or being entitled to stock and options. If so, then consider this information from PENNLIVE / USATODAY (slightly different #'s from other sources):
Even if you throw in the full $16.8M add to his contract (not accounting for the additional year you'd pay someone else at least $3.5M, etc) the football team is still money ahead with the Brohm hire. Again, I'm not discussing merit of the hire or extension, just the economics of what Brohm brought to Purdue football.

Also random info on Demarcus Mitchell for the Purdue faithful. Obviously he was a playmaker last year, lots of questions of where he's been, what's going on, lower body injuries, etc. I don't know the exact story (like did he play spring ball and get hurt?) but I know in fall camp and this season he's been out / very limited.

Regardless, I found an old post. Check out how he literally gets tackled by the RT in the game against NW last year at the 3 second mark. I wonder if that has anything to do with his injury this season. His leg did not look like it was in a good position as he went down.

https://purdue.forums.rivals.com/threads/holding-illegal-pick-on-td.199838/

Check out Damarcus Mitchell get held really bad. I can see why he got hurt on the play, the guy pulled him down.

Have to disagree on the strip sack. The views made available on the broadcast didn't provide anything indisputable. He was probably down, but that isn't the standard for replay. That said, the booth may have had angles we weren't shown.
Thought you were disagreeing that the strip sack wasn't a fumble.

Didn't say it was a conspiracy. But unless there was another angle, we caught a break. It is a fallacy to say there has to be a conspiracy if there is a bad call. And I'll take that break with no apology.
This response was more clear to me than your first post.

I just posted at least twice in this thread agreeing that the reversal was incorrect. But nice generalization about MSU fans, anyway. I'm sure Purdue fans have extraordinary qualities of logic and detachment not seen anywhere else in the conference.
As is this one, thanks for clarifying.

Oh don’t get me wrong he’s gonna have a day. I think he will and their passing game will get some yards. I think they probably score 24-27 and if we play well on offense we have a chance to get 34ish. If we don’t play well on offense it will be 27-13
I wouldn't be surprised if Purdue wins but I would be surprised if they scored 34. MSU's defense is a lot better than people think. They aren't a juggernaut but they give up less points and yards per play than Purdue.

I wouldn't be surprised if Purdue wins but I would be surprised if they scored 34. MSU's defense is a lot better than people think. They aren't a juggernaut but they give up less points and yards per play than Purdue.
I guess I’m looking at Michigan scoring 33 and I’m just not impressed with their QB or harbaugh’s offense..

The only three games Oconnell has started with a healthy David bell this year have been Iowa, Wisconsin and Nebraska.

Nebraska is 22nd in yards per play to Michigan states 39.. we got 21 on offense. Iowa is 5th and we got what 24? Thinking that difference would be good for the 34 range again If we play really well. We haven’t had a “really well game this year.” We may be having to look to win 24-21 if we win at all.

but I’m not seeing how a shoot out against Michigan couldn’t mean a shoot out against us. Michigan is overrated.

I guess I’m looking at Michigan scoring 33 and I’m just not impressed with their QB or harbaugh’s offense..

The only three games Oconnell has started with a healthy David bell this year have been Iowa, Wisconsin and Nebraska.

Nebraska is 22nd in yards per play to Michigan states 39.. we got 21 on offense. Iowa is 5th and we got what 24? Thinking that difference would be good for the 34 range again If we play really well. We haven’t had a “really well game this year.” We may be having to look to win 24-21 if we win at all.

but I’m not seeing how a shoot out against Michigan couldn’t mean a shoot out against us. Michigan is overrated.
Fair points. UM played fantastic against MSU. If Purdue comes out inspired anything is possble. I'm worried about Purdue's passing game. Purdue seems one dimensional. They should move the ball well between the 20s. Hopefully they have to settle for field goals.

Last edited:
Fair points. UM played fantastic against MSU. If Purdue comes out inspired anything is possble. I'm worried about Purdue's passing game. Purdue seems one dimensional. They should move the ball well between the 20s. Hopefully they have to settle for field goals.
If we end up with 19 points we will lose .. I won’t be surprised if we lose by 10+

Didn't say it was a conspiracy. But unless there was another angle, we caught a break. It is a fallacy to say there has to be a conspiracy if there is a bad call. And I'll take that break with no apology.
I mean yeah this is the millionth time I’ve heard from fans (myself included) over the years about asking what angles and videos they have access to that the tv doesn’t show. They have more technology at hand to make the call. Plus it’s the replay official talking to the head official on the field.

Yes it would be best if they came out and said they have access to other camera angles and stuff the fans don’t. But it would be tiresome having to explain every replay call post game when you explain it when the call is made during the actual game.

Boilers 24
SpartyMcFarty: 23

we contain Walker, don't let him bust any big plays, force 3 TOs, dink n dunk all day until the D cheats up and then we catch a big play on a slugo.
AOC 33-45 303-2-0
Bell, 11-148-1
Greek Freak: 2 sacks and causes problems all day

Walker 28-118-2-1

Reactions: BelizeBoiler
Boilers 24
SpartyMcFarty: 23

we contain Walker, don't let him bust any big plays, force 3 TOs, dink n dunk all day until the D cheats up and then we catch a big play on a slugo.
AOC 33-45 303-2-0
Bell, 11-148-1
Greek Freak: 2 sacks and causes problems all day

Walker 28-118-2-1

Lol Sparty McFarty

Reactions: BelizeBoiler
Don’t get me wrong I would be ecstatic if Purdue wins and I’ll be there in row 9 of section 121 cheering the entire time. But I am HAMMERING MSU -2.5. Kenneth Walker could have 250 yards against us

edit: our saving grace in this game is MSU’s pass defense. But I just don’t quite have the confidence to say our O-Line and QB play paired with a lacking run game will be enough to keep us within 2
Eating major crow tonight and I love every second of it!! I didn’t end up betting the farm deed but I did have more than necessary money on MSU. Guess there’s no such thing as a sure thing. But as long as Michigan takes care of IU tonight I’ll still break even on the day and I wouldn’t trade celebrating this win for anything

Reactions: Purdue85
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT