ADVERTISEMENT

How many feel

My memory is that Purdue always has a very slim lead. And somehow the other team always gets the ball with 5 seconds left and finds a way to get a shot off and it always goes in. One year Purdue had all of its defenders except one guarding the basket. The lone defender up court just stood there and allowed the guy to dribble by him and watched as he threw up a prayer and it went in. If he had contested the shot or prevented it or fouled him the likelihood would be it was doubtful he would have made 3 free throws. And many times we have a 6’ guy guarding a 6’6 guy and the guy just shouts right over his outstretched hands.
One of the areas many times I watch is the switching Purdue does. As in everything there is no answer that works all the time. I understand why the switch and I personally wish Purdue switched a bit less. That said I am surprised that more teams do NOT take of advantage of Purdue than they do when we see a big under the basket and a guard due to a switch defending him. Many times it doesn't hurt them and quite often they are able to switch back with a big. That said...switching and a team knowing you will do it can also be a chance for the offensive team to get the match-up they want. I think it was North Texas that exploited it. Hard to remember which team since you may only recall a few key things in a game, but believe it was North TExas since I spent a lot of time breaking down video on that game in the past.

I guarantee the Fire Painter crowd is lurking, waiting for there moment.
You're right, there are a group of people on here that do not like/appreciate CMP. They are small, but very vocal when we lose. I'm sure that if/when we lose they will be here in full throat saying he should be gone. I just brush past those posts and focus on the more reasonable ones.

Those people should not be confused with the folks that think CMP is a very good coach and do not want him fired, but they still have criticisms of him. Two very different groups that get thrown into one often on here when a criticism is raised.

There is absolutely no question. Not everybody will hold the same opinions or weigh what they value the same. The reality is...it won't make a difference. Nobody in this forum or others have a say. We just are not that important. That may strike at the self-esteem of some, but we just are not that important. It is their life and even if we disagree...who are we to say how they must believe or profess?

Yeah, I have seen some talking heads openly pulling for PU (Seth Davis) and the other guy on CBS Sports Network even called us Purdon't and laughed. So it's a real mixed bag. I know a lot of folks on here don't care and that is fine, but this national narrative will not stop unless we make a serious run.

Bilas has us in the final and losing to Uconn.
unsure of Seth's credentials other than the son of Lanny and that was probably enough. ;)

THAT-IS-THE-WHOLE-POINT. Every game we lose in the tournament, we give it away. How to find ways to WIN these games and not play the what-if game?
I want game one to be that one where all the demons and doubt are laid to rest. I want Grambling or Montana to be scared to come out for the second half because we are relentless. Run them out of the gym. No celebrations after each made basket or jawing. Just focused a ripping their souls out.

I want each game after that our opponent is the deer in the headlights. Scared that each miss leads to a run out bucket. Have them be the ones tightening up. Have them ready to quit at halftime.

I want game one to be that one where all the demons and doubt are laid to rest. I want Grambling or Montana to be scared to come out for the second half because we are relentless. Run them out of the gym. No celebrations after each made basket or jawing. Just focused a ripping their souls out.

I want each game after that our opponent is the deer in the headlights. Scared that each miss leads to a run out bucket. Have them be the ones tightening up. Have them ready to quit at halftime.

All Need to show that emotion Zach gives the rim when he stares it down at the FT line. …but agree 100% with you beef. Let’s hope it happens

unsure of Seth's credentials other than the son of Lanny and that was probably enough. ;)
He's been the most vocal in wanting PU to do well that I've seen. He flat out said he was pulling for PU to win it all. Pretty unusual for a national talking head. He's been around for a long time including back in the good days of Sports Illustrated. Some don't like him because he's a Duke grad, but his pulling for PU is refreshing to see.

Reactions: Schnelk
Wisconsin, much like a few other BIG teams, fouls on every single play. In one of the final possessions, Braden was fouled the entire way down court but the refs sat on their whistles. Yes Braden was even fouled before he pushed off. Wisconsin had 28 fouls to our 17. That doesn't include many Wisconsin fouls that went uncalled. This is the painful state of college basketball now. Why is this more of a problem for Purdue than other teams? Our guards are undersized and have been undersized for years. We get man-handled and have trouble defending one on one. Late game it rears it's ugly head because refs "let them play." Maybe, in late game situations, bigger is better? Just a thought.
relying on the refs to call fouls as part of your offensive strategy is a poor one. A foul is only a foul if a ref blows his whistle. Nobody, especially a Purdue fan should complain about a lack of fouls called when you look at our foul and free throw stats.

Right? The absolute denial by some here and the spinning to make losing in march early to a bad team not being a big deal is truly breath taking.

I cant imagine how some people can be so incredibly dense.
What you are seeing is the difference between the optimists and pessimists. The difference between people who are enjoying the moment and looking ahead with hope, and the people perpetually wringing their hands with anxiety over past seasons. The difference between the people who realize their feelings won't impact the results, and the people who believe that their venting and ranting will somehow cause a change in the results.

If you are the type of person who can't understand optimism, enjoyment, hopefulness, and emotional self-control, then the people who do understand are not the ones who are incredibly dense.

Reactions: PurdueDave

As Qaz (maybe others?) has pointed out, I believe the farther Purdue goes, the more relaxed it gets and the more typical the play will be and the refs improved.

Last edited:
I just don't understand your focus on a tiny subset of people.

So what if some folks want him fired? No one here has a voice that affects whether he stays or goes.

Reactions: bonefish1
What you are seeing is the difference between the optimists and pessimists. The difference between people who are enjoying the moment and looking ahead with hope, and the people perpetually wringing their hands with anxiety over past seasons. The difference between the people who realize their feelings won't impact the results, and the people who believe that their venting and ranting will somehow cause a change in the results.

If you are the type of person who can't understand optimism, enjoyment, hopefulness, and emotional self-control, then the people who do understand are not the ones who are incredibly dense.
Oh stop. You're not a better person because you are an optimist. I'm not a better person because I'm middle of the road. And they aren't worse because they are pessimistic.

I appreciate one thinking highly of themselves but good grief man.

I just don't understand your focus on a tiny subset of people.

So what if some folks want him fired? No one here has a voice that affects whether he stays or goes.
Maybe it's not so different than your focus on me?

Oh stop. You're not a better person because you are an optimist. I'm not a better person because I'm middle of the road. And they aren't worse because they are pessimistic.

I appreciate one thinking highly of themselves but good grief man.
Where did I say one person was better than the other? You seem to be overly defensive.

Oh please man, don't be disingenuous to boot.
Not being disingenuous. I'm trying to understand your point and why you think I was addressing you in my post. I noted that you did the same when someone else made some general comments. Don't take things personal when they are not addressed to you, personally.

Can you please rephrase this?

(I am like you (us). They are not.)?
There's a difference between interacting with people who post regularly on a message board you also actively post on, and constantly referencing people who rarely post at all.

Not being disengenuous. I'm trying to understand your point and why you think I was addressing you in my post. I noted that you did the same when someone else made some general comments. Don't take things personal when they are addressed to you, personally.
I didn't take anything personally bud. I certainly don't understand your need to lift yourself up to some sort of fandom apex because you're "optimistic" and tearing down not just idiots but anyone who is just less optimistic than you.

You seem to want a board of nothing but cheerleaders where the only topics are Painter, great coach or greatest coach?

You talk about joy but spend most of your time angry about fans who aren't joyful enough.

• Haha
As Qaz (maybe others?) has pointed out, I believe the farther Purdue goes, the more relaxed it gets and the more typical the play will be and the refs improved.
That's a good point - going to be interesting watching that first 5-10 minutes Friday. Get settled in and find the flow and start moving. I do wonder how refs call Edey when you know coaches will be trying the goon ball technique. Perhaps a few early flagrant and/or hook and holds will set the tempo early that refs want a basketball game and not rugby.

You're right, there are a group of people on here that do not like/appreciate CMP. They are small, but very vocal when we lose. I'm sure that if/when we lose they will be here in full throat saying he should be gone. I just brush past those posts and focus on the more reasonable ones.

Those people should not be confused with the folks that think CMP is a very good coach and do not want him fired, but they still have criticisms of him. Two very different groups that get thrown into one often on here when a criticism is raised.
I fall into both these groups. I think Painter is a great regular season coach, but I think his insistence on running the offense through a 7 footer in the low post is maddeningly stubborn because it has yet to be proven effective in March.
I've come to the realization that Painter will probably coach at PU as long as he wants, similar to Keady, regardless of tourney performance.

Now...God forbid Purdue loses in the first weekend this year.....

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
There's a difference between interacting with people who post regularly on a message board you also actively post on, and constantly referencing people who rarely post at all.
OK. There's a difference, I guess. And...?

do you honestly pay that much attention to screen names and post history? I don't. Does it make you better than me?

OK. There's a difference, I guess. And...?

do you honestly pay that much attention to screen names and post history? I don't. Does it make you better than me?
I'm not better than anyone, but I can recognize when someone else is acting like they are.

There's like a couple of dozen regular/frequent posters on here. Maybe 50 tops. Ain't that hard.

I fall into both these groups. I think Painter is a great regular season coach, but I think his insistence on running the offense through a 7 footer in the low post is maddeningly stubborn because it has yet to be proven effective in March.
I've come to the realization that Painter will probably coach at PU as long as he wants, similar to Keady, regardless of tourney performance.

You may believe you are in both groups, but I think by definition of the groups you either want CMP gone or you don't.

I'm squarely in the "don't want him fired" but have my criticisms of him.

I can understand why he's done it in the past. He's lost out on some players, so he came at it by zigging where everyone else was zagging. Makes sense.

His recruiting is seemingly blowing up to another level recently so you might see him going back the other way the next couple of seasons.

And to be fair, I don't think even Painter anticipated Edey being POTY caliber when he signed him. I don't know if this was "the plan." But with the players he has right now, it's obviously the best plan.

I doubt Berg slots in next season as the starter so you're probably going to have a team that is less dump it down focused, although I think TKR will still get his share of post ups.

You may believe you are in both groups, but I think by definition of the groups you either want CMP gone or you don't.

Right. Almost no one wants him fired. Plenty have criticism. One can argue which, if any, are fair or accurate, but that's separate.

Until he breaks the current postseason cycle, criticism is going to be a thing. Once he does, it will significantly lessen.

Reactions: Dryfly88
I'm not better than anyone, but I can recognize when someone else is acting like they are.

There's like a couple of dozen regular/frequent posters on here. Maybe 50 tops. Ain't that hard.
Again, with the personallization of things you insist don't describe you.

If it's important to you to keep track of screen names and posting history, good for you. It's a harmless activity and seems to give you enjoyment. But it doesn't make you a better person than people who don't.

If it's important to you to keep track of screen names and posting history, good for you. It's a harmless activity and seems to give you enjoyment. But it doesn't make you a better person than people who don't.
Lol you're trying awfully hard to manufacture an equivalency there bud.

relying on the refs to call fouls as part of your offensive strategy is a poor one. A foul is only a foul if a ref blows his whistle. Nobody, especially a Purdue fan should complain about a lack of fouls called when you look at our foul and free throw stats.
It is expected that if you have action close to the rim there will be more fouls called than behind the 3 pt arc. That is a balance between 2pt baskets and fouls and 3 pt baskets and no fouls. If that was not a realization, then everyone would play horse behind the arc. It is why coaches for decades have wanted to take the ball close to the rim to get into bonus, to remove pieces and to score without the clock moving. I know you know this. It is an expectation knowing who Purdue has inside and how Purdue plays that Purdue should draw more fouls from any opponent than on Purdue...especially if Purdue is not scoring inside. I'm guessing next year the foul differential between Purdue and other teams is not as great.

I can understand why he's done it in the past. He's lost out on some players, so he came at it by zigging where everyone else was zagging. Makes sense.

His recruiting is seemingly blowing up to another level recently so you might see him going back the other way the next couple of seasons.

And to be fair, I don't think even Painter anticipated Edey being POTY caliber when he signed him. I don't know if this was "the plan." But with the players he has right now, it's obviously the best plan.

I doubt Berg slots in next season as the starter so you're probably going to have a team that is less dump it down focused, although I think TKR will still get his share of post ups.
I think next year will be totally different game and style. Smith will be a true facilitator with all the pieces around him. With that said, you can’t take away that Edey is almost unstoppable when he gets in position. The failures are 4 other guys watching the game instead of trying to get their own shot. As well as getting tight and missing shots.

As much as people complain about feed the post, we have done well in transition and uptempo. Showed that in Maui and against Bama and Zona. If Smith is back close to 100% come Friday, we should see that pace return. We will need it.

I'm not very good either. I read his post and started thinking about posters and a few are obvious like he said, but no way could I begin to get to two dozen and would take a little bit of work to get to a dozen. Now, when I see a post it does remind me and I might find two dozen that I recognize when I read their post? What we all know is that there are significantly more people that read than post

Zach, Braden, and the rest just come out focused on your game and not the yappers on the other team. Best way to shut them up is just win. In a one and done the ultimate focus is to win the next game.

Zach, Braden, and the rest just come out focused on your game and not the yappers on the other team. Best way to shut them up is just win. In a one and done the ultimate focus is to win the next game.
I think there is something to playing the same guys in conference a couple times a year that makes it easier to yap back. Emotions run a little higher with familiarity/rivalry in the B1G. I don't see it happening in an NCAA game.

Maybe I'll put it this way: I'm looking forward to see if a new Purdue coach can change the perception of Purdue basketball. Maybe they bring in a completely new system, recruit a different type of player and find the formula for tourney success.
Then again, maybe they have 4 bad years and we're onto another new coach. All unpredictable but will be interesting to see after having only 2 HCs for the last 40+ years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT