ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan State Observations

Boiler Addict

True Freshman
Feb 19, 2020
Watched the Michigan at Michigan St game. First off, I had no dog in the fight, but there were some really generous calls for the Spartans.

A called Spartan fumble recovered for a Michigan TD on the field was overturned via replay was wrong. Another huge one was Spartan RB fumbling out of the back of the end zone as he’s crossing the goal line, should have been a touchback, but was a Spartan TD instead.

Anyway, Michigan St’s offense is clever. What they do is a lot of hurry up, very quick snap, no substitution, run or pass plays with the same personnel offense, and it repeatedly exposed Michigan’s personnel.

The game winning drive, Michigan had 3 offside/illegal sub penalties.

Another example was in obvious passing situations, Michigan would sub in a nickel or dime package and Michigan St would convert, then quickly snap the ball, so no defensive substitutions could happen and run the ball with Walker, with a poor run stopping defense on the field.

On Spartan RB 8 yd TD, the previous play was a 4th and 1 deep throw conversion, the defense literally wasn’t even close to being set, guys standing up, confused, substitutions running onto the field, etc. Unsurprisingly, they ran the play AWAY from the Michigan side of the field, so the substituting defenders that are out of position are useless.

Likewise, if it was obvious running situation, Michigan would sub in the bigger guys, Michigan St would convert and immediately snap the ball and pass the next down, again catching Michigan with in the wrong personnel.

There were also 2 very aggressive 4th down and short, deep throws that converted in man to man coverage. It was gutsy and it worked.

Point is: you’ve got to deal with WRs Nailor and Reed who seem legit, Walker who can break tons of tackles and a very clever offense.

We will need to score 28+ to have a chance, Michigan St is going to put up some points. Michigan’s DE’s did get to the QB, the Spartan LT got beat a couple times.

FYI they’ve put up 37+ for 5 games and 31, 23 and 20 the others.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I thought Walker got across the goal line before letting go of the ball on the fumble out of the end zone play. Very close though.

Guessing it opens around MSU -7.

Any thoughts on timeslot? Night game maybe? Should be the marquee game of the day in the conference.

Reactions: DEcougar
I thought Walker got across the goal line before letting go of the ball on the fumble out of the end zone play. Very close though.

Any thoughts on timeslot? Night game maybe? Should be the marquee game of the day in the conference.
If it opens MSU -7 I’ll put the farm on MSU. I’d bet it opens around MSU -13.5 and even that would appear generous to Purdue based on our play as of late and Iowa’s play against us and Wisconsin

Reactions: indyogb
If it opens MSU -7 I’ll put the farm on MSU. I’d bet it opens around MSU -13.5 and even that would appear generous to Purdue based on our play as of late and Iowa’s play against us and Wisconsin

Yeah, they looked good today.

They are probably similar to ND in talent. Their RB is a beast though. He’s a game changer. Thier QB and WR’s are decent but maybe not elite.

if we pass protect we have the opportunity to stay in the game. If we get enough turnovers, we have a punchers chance.

Reactions: purduepat1969

That one was close, but I agree that it probably was the right call. I don't know how they overturned the sack fumble TD and at least two others. It's almost like they just decided to throw out the call made on the field and re-officiate the play on the review.....nah, the Big Ten officials wouldn't do that.

The overturn on the TD cost Michigan four points as MSU still punted, but UM only got a FG out of it.

Nailor came out of the game and was on the sideline with a soft cast on his right hand. Don't know what his availability will be - that could be a big loss.

Reactions: SDBoiler1
That one was close, but I agree that it probably was the right call. I don't know how they overturned the sack fumble TD and at least two others. It's almost like they just decided to throw out the call made on the field and re-officiate the play on the review.....nah, the Big Ten officials wouldn't do that.

The overturn on the TD cost Michigan four points as MSU still punted, but UM only got a FG out of it.

Nailor came out of the game and was on the sideline with a soft cast on his right hand. Don't know what his availability will be - that could be a big loss.
they are a physical team w/ a star RB , that doesn't bode well for us.

They are probably similar to ND in talent. Their RB is a beast though. He’s a game changer. Thier QB and WR’s are decent but maybe not elite.

if we pass protect we have the opportunity to stay in the game. If we get enough turnovers, we have a punchers chance.

ND has top10 talent, MSU is more like top30

I still wonder how Michigan State only scored 20 points against IU and I think one of their tds was on a pick six.

Reactions: indyogb
Watched the Michigan at Michigan St game. First off, I had no dog in the fight, but there were some really generous calls for the Spartans.

A called Spartan fumble recovered for a Michigan TD on the field was overturned via replay was wrong. Another huge one was Spartan RB fumbling out of the back of the end zone as he’s crossing the goal line, should have been a touchback, but was a Spartan TD instead.

Anyway, Michigan St’s offense is clever. What they do is a lot of hurry up, very quick snap, no substitution, run or pass plays with the same personnel offense, and it repeatedly exposed Michigan’s personnel.

Another example was in obvious passing situations, Michigan would sub in a nickel or dime package and Michigan St would convert, then quickly snap the ball, so no defensive substitutions could happen and run the ball with Walker, with a poor run stopping defense on the field.

On Spartan RB 8 yd TD, the previous play was a 4th and 1 deep throw conversion, the defense literally wasn’t even close to being set, guys standing up, confused, substitutions running onto the field, etc. Unsurprisingly, they ran the play AWAY from the Michigan side of the field, so the substituting defenders that are out of position are useless.

Likewise, if it was obvious running situation, Michigan would sub in the bigger guys, Michigan St would convert and immediately snap the ball and pass the next down, again catching Michigan with in the wrong personnel.

There were also 2 very aggressive 4th down and short, deep throws that converted in man to man coverage. It was gutsy and it worked.

Point is: you’ve got to deal with WRs Nailor and Reed who seem legit, Walker who can break tons of tackles and a very clever offense.

We will need to score 28+ to have a chance, Michigan St is going to put up some points. Michigan’s DE’s did get to the QB, the Spartan LT got beat a couple times.

Nailor broke his right hand vs Michigan. Will be tough to play with the cast he was wearing.

I still wonder how Michigan State only scored 20 points against IU and I think one of their tds was on a pick six.
If you look at Michigan's schedule, you'll see the only really good win was Wisconsin. And that was early in the season. Yes, Michigan was undefeated, which is no easy task. But it wasn't the most difficult schedule.

Reactions: Purdue85
Nebraska should have beat MSU but found a way to lose. MSU has been very lucky this year much like Iowa. If Purdue plays mistake free football it has a chance of winning. No turnovers and making your FGs should lead to a victory.

I’m not worried …

> Hutchinson is not George .. the effect of this is that Michigan state can’t run right at George and must keep a TE home to block George.. limiting their pass offense

> We play a nickel flex anyway with Graham.. he can be over a slot and hold his own (because the QB has a quick clock with George coming) and is stout in running scenarios

> we have the best corner duo we’ve had in a looooong time. Im not even sure I’d take reeves and Rogers

Perspective .. Michigan state is 25th in total offense and you made them sound scary (Michigan was overrated). I mean you made them sound SCARY! Vaunted! Ohh.. I mean just read everything you said. I don’t know what we will do!

uh.. yesterday we played the 12th ranked total offense in America and made them completely self destruct

Last edited:
Reactions: ChuckJr
Western Kentucky passed for 488 yards and 3 TD with no interceptions on Michigan state less than a month ago

I’m not worried …

> Hutchinson is not George .. the effect of this is that Michigan state can’t run right at George and must keep a TE home to block George.. limiting who their pass offense

> We play a nickel flex anyway with Graham.. he can be over a slot and hold his own (because the QB has a quick clock with George coming) and is stout in running scenarios

> we have the best corner duo we’ve had in a looooong time. Im not even sure I’d take reeves and Rogers

Perspective .. Michigan state is 25th in total offense and you made them sound scary (Michigan was overrated). I mean you made them sound SCARY! Vaunted! Ohh.. I mean just read everything you said. I don’t know what we will do!

uh.. yesterday we played the 12th ranked total offense in America and made them completely self destruct
And if Trice was healthy it would be the best three. Jamari Brown has been excellent and Mackey is playing the best he ever has. (Even though he got burned yesterday on that long throw).

Reactions: ChuckJr
Kenneth Walker is now the betting favorite for the Heisman. At least with my service. This is probably a year where there is a lot of discrepancy.

Kenneth Walker is now the betting favorite for the Heisman. At least with my service. This is probably a year where there is a lot of discrepancy.
Oh don’t get me wrong he’s gonna have a day. I think he will and their passing game will get some yards. I think they probably score 24-27 and if we play well on offense we have a chance to get 34ish. If we don’t play well on offense it will be 27-13

Oh don’t get me wrong he’s gonna have a day. I think he will and their passing game will get some yards. I think they probably score 24-27 and if we play well on offense we have a chance to get 34ish. If we don’t play well on offense it will be 27-13
I wasn't getting you wrong and wasn't stating any kind of opinion. Just facts.

That one was too close to overturn, either way. They replayed it probably 20 times. Either way it was called, there was no conclusive evidence to overturn.

Walker wasn't hit. Gotta wonder what he was thinking about when he dropped the ball.

I’m not worried …

> Hutchinson is not George .. the effect of this is that Michigan state can’t run right at George and must keep a TE home to block George.. limiting who their pass offense

Are you the same guy that admittingly had low expectations for the season (4-8?), then after a win (Iowa?) adjusted to 8-4 with a 7-5 to 9-3 range. You’re all over the place. If that wasn’t you I apologize, but there’s got to be a good reason why you’re on my ignore list. Purdue’s defense is as good as Georgia’s right?

So easy to jump on the bandwagon when the team is doing relatively well and slam them after a loss. Do you even watch the games? A majority of fans, and in a few select cases, a more realistic fan would maybe understand the ebbs and flows of a season and how particular matchups are problematic. Is it maddening that Purdue has lost to Wisconsin and Minnesota as much as it has this season and previous seasons? Yes it is, but this team is also finishing games better like OSU, Illinois and Nebraska games, compared to other seasons.

Regardless, it is obvious your reading comprehension skills are needing a refresh. Good luck.

Purdue football defensively rotates players in and out. Michigan St will try and expose that to the best of their ability, among other things. I post things like this to preview Michigan St game, aka anticipating problems rather than react to problems. To people like you, when something bad happens during the game, you’ll say “how bad” our defense played or horrible the defensive play call was.

Since I’m ranting, my personal favorite is “horrible playcalling” comments especially after I see AOC throw to a covered receiver rather than a wide open receiver, or a player miss an assignment, or the defense making a great play blowing up a designed play. There’s like 5 posters that on every loss the playcalling is trash, on wins, it’s much better. Ever consider its execution?

As for best corner duo we’ve had in awhile, you have to realize the players haven’t changed much, just more experienced. Schemes change and a coaching change has clearly helped too. Also consider ND missed some big downfield throws, Illinois and Nebraska as well, if one of those hits, we probably 4-4 rather than 5-3.

A much improved defensive line really helps the defense in general. Too bad some of the highly rated DL recruits haven’t played / panned out yet between Faucheux, Hunter and Hudgins and even transfer Anderson.

Nebraska should have beat MSU but found a way to lose. MSU has been very lucky this year much like Iowa. If Purdue plays mistake free football it has a chance of winning. No turnovers and making your FGs should lead to a victory.
I think you’re right on. Purdue can hang with MSU and doesn’t seem like a bad matchup, sans a very good RB and some hurry up offense, even though they’re AP #5. Should be a good game.

My only retort is Michigan scored 7 times (3TDs, 4 FG’s) and lost. Got to have more TD’s than FGs, but agree we need to make field goals when we kick them.

Are you the same guy that admittingly had low expectations for the season (4-8?), then after a win (Iowa?) adjusted to 8-4 with a 7-5 to 9-3 range. You’re all over the place. If that wasn’t you I apologize, but there’s got to be a good reason why you’re on my ignore list. Purdue’s defense is as good as Georgia’s right?

So easy to jump on the bandwagon when the team is doing relatively well and slam them after a loss. Do you even watch the games? A majority of fans, and in a few select cases, a more realistic fan would maybe understand the ebbs and flows of a season and how particular matchups are problematic. Is it maddening that Purdue has lost to Wisconsin and Minnesota as much as it has this season and previous seasons? Yes it is, but this team is also finishing games better like OSU, Illinois and Nebraska games, compared to other seasons.

Regardless, it is obvious your reading comprehension skills are needing a refresh. Good luck.

Purdue football defensively rotates players in and out. Michigan St will try and expose that to the best of their ability, among other things. I post things like this to preview Michigan St game, aka anticipating problems rather than react to problems. To people like you, when something bad happens during the game, you’ll say “how bad” our defense played or horrible the defensive play call was.

Since I’m ranting, my personal favorite is “horrible playcalling” comments especially after I see AOC throw to a covered receiver rather than a wide open receiver, or a player miss an assignment, or the defense making a great play blowing up a designed play. There’s like 5 posters that on every loss the playcalling is trash, on wins, it’s much better. Ever consider its execution?

As for best corner duo we’ve had in awhile, you have to realize the players haven’t changed much, just more experienced. Schemes change and a coaching change has clearly helped too. Also consider ND missed some big downfield throws, Illinois and Nebraska as well, if one of those hits, we probably 4-4 rather than 5-3.

A much improved defensive line really helps the defense in general. Too bad some of the highly rated DL recruits haven’t played / panned out yet between Faucheux, Hunter and Hudgins and even transfer Anderson.

I think you’re right on. Purdue can hang with MSU and doesn’t seem like a bad matchup, sans a very good RB and some hurry up offense, even though they’re AP #5. Should be a good game.

My only retort is Michigan scored 7 times (3TDs, 4 FG’s) and lost. Got to have more TD’s than FGs, but agree we need to make field goals when we kick them.
I've been wondering about Hunter and Hudgins myself.

Better get that farm deed out
Don’t get me wrong I would be ecstatic if Purdue wins and I’ll be there in row 9 of section 121 cheering the entire time. But I am HAMMERING MSU -2.5. Kenneth Walker could have 250 yards against us

edit: our saving grace in this game is MSU’s pass defense. But I just don’t quite have the confidence to say our O-Line and QB play paired with a lacking run game will be enough to keep us within 2

Don’t get me wrong I would be ecstatic if Purdue wins and I’ll be there in row 9 of section 121 cheering the entire time. But I am HAMMERING MSU -2.5. Kenneth Walker could have 250 yards against us
Hey, there have been times in my life I have threatened to drop a grand or two on a team Purdue plays just to alleviate the pain of a loss.

Minnesota and Wisconsin would have been such games. I hate losing to the those teams.

Knowing my luck, I would drop $2k on the Spartans and they would win 28-27 in a lose-lose scenario. (In this particular case I would take the money line to avoid such a disaster. I assume that would be about -150 in this case)

Last edited:
Hey, there have been times in my life I have threatened to drop a grand or two on a team Purdue plays just to alleviate the pain of a loss.

Minnesota and Wisconsin would have been such games. I hate losing to the those teams.
Also that, the emotional hedge is a dangerous but effective move

Reactions: TheGunner

I said I anticipated 5-7 because we had to many questions to answer without a great coaching performance.. they’ve been great. Only the OL concern has been left unanswered .. which I said was my remaining concern 3 days before the season.

when we beat Iowa I said we’d likely go 7-5 with things possible. Look up possible.

in this post I said I’m not worried. So.. I grew up differently than most people who went to Purdue .. if you say you aren’t worried, I take that as “he’s not worried but I can be whatever the f I wanna be about it.”

as far as rotating, we do. However, I think within the same drive, we can stick with what we have and make it just fine.

I also never said we’d shut MSU out or down. I think they’ll get about 24-27 points. Mind you, Nebraska is a higher rated offense. If they would have had a good second half, they could have got to 34.

we will have a chance to win this game. MSU is the best team we will have faced but likely only the third best in terms of being a bad matchup for us. They are better than Minnesota and Wisconsin but not as bad of a matchup .. as we have never functioned well against those massive offensive lines.

I didn’t start in with you but here’s what’s funny.. you started in with me but to people on this board it will be classic guy who pushes back gets the flag lol. If I start in with you you’ll play the victim bet

Oh and also.. this year I have defended the coaches and players from naysayers during every loss… the effort given by this team in the off-season from top to bottom deserves respect. They’ve been great

Line opens at Purdue +3. The only game with a single digit spread in the entire conference this week.

This is what Vegas knows. The best passing team MSU faced was WKU who put up almost 500 yards through the air. Miami threw for nearly 400. The best passing offense (statistically) they have faced in conference play is.. wait for it.. Nebraska.

With all due respect, BC has been on here a lot more than you. You can rant all you want. But I didn't see you here making your own predictions. Only now beating people up over what they've said...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT