ADVERTISEMENT

Pattern repeats itself......

TMA62

Junior
Nov 3, 2001
Every season under Brohm, there is a game that stands out. A game where the entire team plays FLAT and lethargic. Completely, uncharacteristic of the team's previous and following games. Last year it was Illinois. The year before, I believer it was Eastern Michigan. This year, it is Northwestern.

Also bad weather plays a factor. I seems that only Purdue is affected by the weather, not the opponent.

After this 'flat' game, Purdue suddenly plays better when it is now in a hole and has to play well to save the season. Now there is going to be urgency and focus, just like previous years.

The pattern continues

I don’t think you are giving Northwestern enough credit. If we came out flat it would have been a route like the 2019 TCU game or 2018 Minnesota game. This Northwestern team is better than both of those. If 27-20 against an undefeated ranked team is ‘flat’ then that’s a sign of progress I guess. Put Michigan jerseys on that Northwestern team and people would be reacting a lot differently. Or maybe they wouldn’t. I should realize by now this is just how the board is after every loss. We could go 5-2 for our best conference since 2003 and people will still be complaining.

I don’t think you are giving Northwestern enough credit. If we came out flat it would have been a route like the 2019 TCU game or 2018 Minnesota game. This Northwestern team is better than both of those. If 27-20 against an undefeated ranked team is ‘flat’ then that’s a sign of progress I guess. Put Michigan jerseys on that Northwestern team and people would be reacting a lot differently. Or maybe they wouldn’t. I should realize by now this is just how the board is after every loss. We could go 5-2 for our best conference since 2003 and people will still be complaining.
Also like this after a lot of wins.
Agree on NW too. Their defense looked really good I thought yesterday. Now is some of that on us as well? Sure. I thought we forces it to Bell too much but really hard to turn down a chance at him making a good 1v1 play. And we have to be able to run better than that even against a good team. But lets give NW credit for playing some tough D rather than constantly bashing our own team.

Reactions: phila and BBG
Every season under Brohm, there is a game that stands out. A game where the entire team plays FLAT and lethargic. Completely, uncharacteristic of the team's previous and following games. Last year it was Illinois. The year before, I believer it was Eastern Michigan. This year, it is Northwestern.

Also bad weather plays a factor. I seems that only Purdue is affected by the weather, not the opponent.

After this 'flat' game, Purdue suddenly plays better when it is now in a hole and has to play well to save the season. Now there is going to be urgency and focus, just like previous years.

The pattern continues
By any chance, have you noticed similar patterns with other cfb and nfl teams - or is it just Purdue?

I don’t think you’re giving this team enough discredit. We’re a one dimensional offense with a mediocre QB backed up by a defense that’s all break after they bend quite a bit. Yay! We’re going to be around 0.500 again.

I don’t think you’re giving this team enough discredit. We’re a one dimensional offense with a mediocre QB backed up by a defense that’s all break after they bend quite a bit. Yay! We’re going to be around 0.500 again.

Purdue has won half of its Big Ten games only once in the last 8 years. Winning half of our Big games this year is progress. Lets all check our expectations a bit please.

Reactions: FirstDownB
Northwestern is not better than last year's TCU defense. Not even close. They absolutely shut down Rondale Moore and David Bell simultaneously. And their offense is no 2018 or 2019 Minnesota. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Purdue has won half of its Big Ten games only once in the last 8 years. Winning half of our Big games this year is progress. Lets all check our expectations a bit please.
Ah crap, I never realized I should be happy about this. The Haze years are still setting the expectation bar.

“Well, we’re not the worst P5 team so everything is Jim Dandy”

Ah crap, I never realized I should be happy about this. The Haze years are still setting the expectation bar.

“Well, we’re not the worst P5 team so everything is Jim Dandy”

I am not saying we should be happy about it. I want to win more too. Hell I want Purdue to win them all. But thats not how building a program works. Hell look at Texas and FSU. Those guys get 5 and 4 stars all over the place and they are still struggling to rebuild to former glory. We just aren’t there yet as a program and it takes time. I hate to say it but if Brohm won 2-3 games as expected the first year and improved a game every year after we wouldn’t be having this conversation. I think we are set up well going forward but maybe I am wrong.

I am not saying we should be happy about it. I want to win more too. Hell I want Purdue to win them all. But thats not how building a program works. Hell look at Texas and FSU. Those guys get 5 and 4 stars all over the place and they are still struggling to rebuild to former glory. We just aren’t there yet as a program and it takes time. I hate to say it but if Brohm won 2-3 games as expected the first year and improved a game every year after we wouldn’t be having this conversation. I think we are set up well going forward but maybe I am wrong.
We aren’t building dick. We’re spinning our wheels in mediocrity.

Reactions: Boiler8285
Brohm when he started at Purdue adapted to the players" strengths, and didn't try to force them to fit into his system and therefore had success. Is part of the problem now that he is trying to fit square pegs into round holes? Look at the new players who start, they are early enrollees that have had more time to learn his system. Highly touted new recruits just don't see the field otherwise.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Wow man. Angry much?
No, not angry at all. I’ve watched this for forty years, anger subsided just after the Akers years. If we’re building something here tell me what we should look forward to next year? Recruited athletes at primary skill positions? Where’s the next step coming from?

Reactions: Outside blitz
No, not angry at all. I’ve watched this for forty years, anger subsided just after the Akers years. If we’re building something here tell me what we should look forward to next year? Recruited athletes at primary skill positions? Where’s the next step coming from?

You called me a dick for not being suicidal about being 2-1 hahaha. Yea I think you are quite angry.
All joking aside, I do see growth. And yes I realize I am in the minority. I have talked about it in other posts but this is what I believe. I think we caught lightning in a bottle with Blough/Moore (And the incredible performance of our D in year 1) which helped us overachieve in the first couple years under Brohm. That is hard to duplicate especially with Moore having been out basically since the beginning of last year. I think we have seen improved recruiting, O-line play, WR play, and starting to see improvement on D. Are we ready to win the Big yet? Nope. But I feel like we are improving. Everyone can have there own opinion though.

You called me a dick for not being suicidal about being 2-1 hahaha. Yea I think you are quite angry.
Did you graduate from Purdue? The phrase “we aren’t building dick” is a coarse way of saying “we aren’t building anything”. You can’t possibly be that stupid. Then again I’ve seen what our high schools are churning out these days.

Did you graduate from Purdue? The phrase “we aren’t building dick” is a coarse way of saying “we aren’t building anything”. You can’t possibly be that stupid. Then again I’ve seen what our high schools are churning out these days.

I did not. I spent 3 years there before joining the military where I finished my degree and subsequently got another.
I do not consider myself that stupid but I don’t mind if you consider me that stupid. I have never used or heard that phrase in my life. My apologies for taking it incorrectly.

You still seem angry though.

Reactions: Riveting
I did not. I spent 3 years there before joining the military where I finished my degree and subsequently got another.
I do not consider myself that stupid but I don’t mind if you consider me that stupid. I have never used or heard that phrase in my life. My apologies for taking it incorrectly.

Thank you for your service to this great nation - and for being a Boilermaker!

I’ve been with this program for 40 years. It’s impossible to remain angry for that long. Add in the basketball program and guys like me are just resigned to our fate.

“Resigned to our fate” means we accept the current situation will most likely be the situation moving forward. Usually it does not involve anger.

I’ve been with this program for 40 years. It’s impossible to remain angry for that long. Add in the basketball program and guys like me are just resigned to our fate.

“Resigned to our fate” means we accept the current situation will most likely be the situation moving forward. Usually it does not involve anger.

Well Brother Boilermaker. I hope that you are wrong and we both see some glory days ahead!!!!! Boiler Up!

I normally don’t jump into these type of conversations because I feel like there’s trolls masquerading as fans just to stir up discontent in the fan base and frankly nothing anyone will say will stop or change any opinion the posters make.

However, for the benefit of the average fan reading this post, these are overreactions.

The program is 2-1 with a high chance of being >.500 this year. Our team is mainly playing 3 R-Fr/T-Fr offensive lineman, 1 RB, So TE/WRs, the linebackers still are being developed and the secondary was just remade this offseason, plus a new defensive scheme and defensive coordinator.

Our past two recruiting classes have been impressive (especially 2020) and the team is still really young.

Brohm has shown the ability to recruit, score points, beat impressive teams, make the team competitive and play in 1 possession games. The team is continuing to trend upwards.

Yes, there’s been clunkers. Urban Meyer and Nick Saban both lost to Purdue too. There’s always teams that lose games they should win. Even Alabama and Ohio State, it’s frustrating but it happens. Tell me if you’d rather be a Michigan or Penn St fan this year.

Brohm’s contract is what it is. He also brought how much more revenue to the program through fan increased attendance and exposure?

My only confusion in his tenure is QB development / recruiting with that being his MO. I just assumed it was correlated to how good the OL can be. If you can run and pass protect, I’m sure more highly touted QB’s will look at Purdue.

Generally, if you look yearly at the good college teams, there’s a really good QB usually. Look at Indiana and Penix, I think he is a difference maker. Clemson. Ohio State. Oklahoma. BYU.

I like Aidan but he’s not dual threat. Hopefully we find a difference maker / game changer at QB sooner rather than later. It seems to me the other pieces of the team have a good foundation laid.

Can’t wait for 2021 especially.

I normally don’t jump into these type of conversations because I feel like there’s trolls masquerading as fans just to stir up discontent in the fan base and frankly nothing anyone will say will stop or change any opinion the posters make.

However, for the benefit of the average fan reading this post, these are overreactions.

The program is 2-1 with a high chance of being >.500 this year. Our team is mainly playing 3 R-Fr/T-Fr offensive lineman, 1 RB, So TE/WRs, the linebackers still are being developed and the secondary was just remade this offseason, plus a new defensive scheme and defensive coordinator.

Our past two recruiting classes have been impressive (especially 2020) and the team is still really young.

Brohm has shown the ability to recruit, score points, beat impressive teams, make the team competitive and play in 1 possession games. The team is continuing to trend upwards.

Yes, there’s been clunkers. Urban Meyer and Nick Saban both lost to Purdue too. There’s always teams that lose games they should win. Even Alabama and Ohio State, it’s frustrating but it happens. Go be a Michigan or Penn St fan this year if you want to grovel.

Brohm’s contract is what it is. He also brought how much more revenue to the program through fan increased attendance and exposure?

My only confusion in his tenure is QB development / recruiting with that being his MO. I just assumed it was correlated to how good the OL can be. If you can run and pass protect, I’m sure more highly touted QB’s will look at Purdue.

Generally, if you look yearly at the good college teams, there’s a really good QB usually. Look at Indiana and Penix, I think he is a difference maker. Clemson. Ohio State. Oklahoma. BYU.

I like Aidan but he’s not dual threat. Hopefully we find a difference maker / game changer at QB sooner rather than later. It seems to me the other pieces of the team have a good foundation laid.

Good Post!!! Thanks for stopping in this time!

Yes, there’s been clunkers. Urban Meyer and Nick Saban both lost to Purdue too. There’s always teams that lose games they should win. Even Alabama and Ohio State, it’s frustrating but it happens. Tell me if you’d rather be a Michigan or Penn St fan this year.

I was really excited when Brohm was hired. I realize the rebuilding would take time. I thought by year four it would happen. It’s not where I expected it to be. Now with covid this season is different. I give our walk on qb all the credit in the world. I really do. On the other hand disappointed not one of our five other scholarship Qb players can’t seem to beat him out. The same can be said about other recruited players being beat out by walk ons. It’s hard to understand the recruiting of these players only to get beat out by walk ons and Jucos.

I still like Brohm and hope he succeeds to the utmost. Admittedly I have some doubt now. Most certainly hope to be wrong and Purdue succeeds like we all want it to.

I was really excited when Brohm was hired. I realize the rebuilding would take time. I thought by year four it would happen. It’s not where I expected it to be. Now with covid this season is different. I give our walk on qb all the credit in the world. I really do. On the other hand disappointed not one of our five other scholarship Qb players can’t seem to beat him out. The same can be said about other recruited players being beat out by walk ons. It’s hard to understand the recruiting of these players only to get beat out by walk ons and Jucos.

I still like Brohm and hope he succeeds to the utmost. Admittedly I have some doubt now. Most certainly hope to be wrong and Purdue succeeds like we all want it to.
I agree with you. Player development has been suspect at certain positions but most definitely the QB position. I want Brohm to succeed. But it's year 4 and we should see more progress on offense by this point. This offense hasn't been fun to watch.

I agree with you. Player development has been suspect at certain positions but most definitely the QB position. I want Brohm to succeed. But it's year 4 and we should see more progress on offense by this point. This offense hasn't been fun to watch.
It would be plenty of fun to watch if his first major recruit were able to play. Otherwise, it is still pretty fun to watch in my view, but I have realistic expectations.

There’s plenty of discredit going around. I jumped in to balance the emotional ranting with some perspective.

Reactions: Beorik
There’s plenty of discredit going around. I jumped in to balance the emotional ranting with some perspective.
the main pattern I've seen is that we are not a physical team, we are a pitch and catch type team. When we run into a physical team, they shut down the run and makes us one dimensional. If we played Wisky the week before it would have been the same.

Reactions: purduepat1969
I'd love to see the other Moore on the field as he would be the fastest player on it. Either at running back or as a wide receiver. And how about some of those other 6'5" receivers besides Garrett Miller, the one that made that great play and then wasn't passed to again, we have them and they're supposed to be good. They'd be large targets.

the main pattern I've seen is that we are not a physical team, we are a pitch and catch type team. When we run into a physical team, they shut down the run and makes us one dimensional. If we played Wisky the week before it would have been the same.
That’s been the case for decades. Think the Rose Bowl team was physical? Physical defenses locked them up too. Maybe that changes in the near future with proper strength and conditioning of the last couple more talented classes. But for now those young guys will struggle going against equally talented 22 and 23 year olds. Maybe we’ll get there.. but I’m not staking Brohm to it. We can either be satisfied that we are building to a winning program or have expectations like OSU or ND and run our coach out of town and take our chances with the next one.

Last edited:
That’s been the case for decades. Think the Rose Bowl team was physical? Physical defenses locked them up too. Maybe that changes in the near future with proper strength and conditioning of the last couple more talented classes. But for now those young guys will struggle going against equally talented 22 and 23 year olds. Maybe we’ll get there.. but I’m not staking Brohm to it. We can either be satisfied that we are building to a winning program or have expectations like OSU or ND and run our coach out of town and take our chances with the next one.
Nobody's expecting Ohio St or Notre Dame results. However, we should be seeing better results on the field based on the talent that's currently there, especially on the offensive side of the ball. That's one of the main reasons Brohm was hired. The fact that Brohm hasn't developed an effective QB recruit of his own by year 4 is a red flag. That, along with the fact we only have one running back that is deemed ready, besides an injured Doerue, is another red flag. I'm very content with where the defense is right now. They've at least put the team in positions to win games. But for an "offensive genius", I would have expected more than the 11th best scoring offense in the Big Ten in year 4.

Reactions: PaBoiler78
We aren’t building dick. We’re spinning our wheels in mediocrity.
Yeah, because Purdue got a lot of 4 stars in the past. Guess you don’t build through recruiting. Unfortunately Rondale , George, and Bell will all leave early. Hard for any non Powerhouse programs to build things anymore with stars leaving early. Blue bloods just reload

I'd love to see the other Moore on the field as he would be the fastest player on it. Either at running back or as a wide receiver. And how about some of those other 6'5" receivers besides Garrett Miller, the one that made that great play and then wasn't passed to again, we have them and they're supposed to be good. They'd be large targets.
We only have two 6’5” WRs on the team. Carr who is injured and Kory Taylor who hasn’t played in 3 years

We only have two 6’5” WRs on the team. Carr who is injured and Kory Taylor who hasn’t played in 3 years

I also include tight ends as receivers. Then there are seven of them: Carr, Taylor, Piferi, Bilodeau, Miller, Cravaack and Durham.

I remember two Spring camps ago, that Dandelion was impressed with Kory Taylor and I have been hoping to see him in a game.

I also include tight ends as receivers. Then there are seven of them: Carr, Taylor, Piferi, Bilodeau, Miller, Cravaack and Durham.

I remember two Spring camps ago, that Dandelion was impressed with Kory Taylor and I have been hoping to see him in a game.
I'm not sure Taylor is an answer, but I would like to see other tight ends like Miller come into the mix on situational downs. Right now, we miss the athleticism of Hopkins down the middle.

The pattern continues
While I agree with your assessment, I honestly don't care if we finish 6-1 or 2-5. With the exceptions to redshirts, etc. that the NCAA has in place this season, I would like to see how a lot of different players would fare on the field. Garrett Miller's first catch as a TE goes for a TD... I want to see more of that since opposing defenses won't just double and triple cover David Bell. Play all 3 QB's - O'Connell is okay but he certainly isn't a player that an opposing defense has to put a lot of time in figuring out how to play against. If he's flat like he was against Northwestern, put in Burton and/or Plummer to see if it sparks something.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT