ADVERTISEMENT

How many feel

Gman544

Redshirt Freshman
Feb 20, 2018
Excerpts from Doyle column. Haters can hate him , he like Izu better blah blah. But deep down he nails it as to what we fear and feel about Purdue.
- - -
“Edey scored 12 of Purdue’s final 13 points, including eight of nine in overtime. Nobody but Edey scored a field goal for Purdue in the final eight minutes of play (the last three minutes of regulation, and all five of overtime). That would be concerning for any team, but it’s alarming for Purdue because we’ve seen this movie before.

But the thing is, it’s hard to give Purdue the benefit of the doubt after North Texas and Saint Peter’s and FDU. Fair, not fair, doesn’t matter. It just … is. Purdue finds a way to lose to inferior teams almost every March, and let’s be clear, this was happening long before Matt Painter took the job.

Purdue was 24-for-32 from the line. Wisconsin was 5-for-9. Any idea how hard it is to lose a game when you’re plus-14 on the glass and plus-23 at the line? It’s almost impossible to lose that game, and we’ve not even mentioned one more advantage Purdue enjoyed Saturday: Player availability. Edey helped foul out the Badgers’ top three big men — 7-0 starting center Steven Crowl and 6-9 power forward Tyler Wahl, plus the Badgers’ top post sub, 6-11 Nolan Winter.

Plus-14 on the glass. Plus-19 at the line. Plus-3 on the roster.
Purdue found a way to lose because it couldn’t stop Chucky Hepburn from scoring near the rim in the final second of regulation to force overtime, and because it couldn’t stop Max Klesmit from scoring near the rim with five seconds left in overtime, and because it couldn’t get a better shot than Lance Jones’ 25-footer at the OT buzzer, a shot that missed everything.

It’s kismet, the way Purdue finds a way to lose these things. Purdue found a way to lose Saturday despite having the lead and the ball in the final 30 seconds of overtime, because Braden Smith lowered his left shoulder and extended his left arm and sent Hepburn stumbling back with 21 seconds left. That gave the Badgers the ball with plenty of time to find an easy shot for Klesmit, and that gave the Boilers the ball with enough time to find only a difficult heave from Jones at the buzzer.

See how hard was it for Purdue to lose this game? Almost impossible, to lose this game, but let’s spin it forward now with something positive. Let’s say the No. 3-ranked Boilers, with a 29-4 record entering the NCAA tournament, took care of their one unfathomable loss — think of another movie, “Mission: Impossible” — before the NCAA tournament even begins.
Feel better?

Yeah, me neither.

Maybe because Purdue beat them twice in the regular season and had nothing to gain today? Maybe the guys who got Purdue here just had a tough afternoon? I mean maybe -- just maybe -- the game meant a whole lot more to the team that pissed away a month than it meant to the team that won the league by 3 games?

What do you really want? Since November, Purdue has won 29 times in 33 games. Purdue had starters banged up, and there was nothing to gain in a BTT semi-final. Yes, Purdue might very well lose a game in the NCAA Tournament. So will 66 of the other 67 teams.

Can you really expect perfection from November through March, and then perfection in the B1G Tornament, and then perfection in the NCAA Tournament? Does Doyel have any right to expect that?

You either appreciate it or you don't. It's up to you. This team threw it all out there for four months and won 29 times in 33 games. If that's not enough then maybe, just maybe, that's on you.

Excerpts from Doyle column. Haters can hate him , he like Izu better blah blah. But deep down he nails it as to what we fear and feel about Purdue.
- - -
“Edey scored 12 of Purdue’s final 13 points, including eight of nine in overtime. Nobody but Edey scored a field goal for Purdue in the final eight minutes of play (the last three minutes of regulation, and all five of overtime). That would be concerning for any team, but it’s alarming for Purdue because we’ve seen this movie before.

But the thing is, it’s hard to give Purdue the benefit of the doubt after North Texas and Saint Peter’s and FDU. Fair, not fair, doesn’t matter. It just … is. Purdue finds a way to lose to inferior teams almost every March, and let’s be clear, this was happening long before Matt Painter took the job.

Purdue was 24-for-32 from the line. Wisconsin was 5-for-9. Any idea how hard it is to lose a game when you’re plus-14 on the glass and plus-23 at the line? It’s almost impossible to lose that game, and we’ve not even mentioned one more advantage Purdue enjoyed Saturday: Player availability. Edey helped foul out the Badgers’ top three big men — 7-0 starting center Steven Crowl and 6-9 power forward Tyler Wahl, plus the Badgers’ top post sub, 6-11 Nolan Winter.

Purdue found a way to lose because it couldn’t stop Chucky Hepburn from scoring near the rim in the final second of regulation to force overtime, and because it couldn’t stop Max Klesmit from scoring near the rim with five seconds left in overtime, and because it couldn’t get a better shot than Lance Jones’ 25-footer at the OT buzzer, a shot that missed everything.

It’s kismet, the way Purdue finds a way to lose these things. Purdue found a way to lose Saturday despite having the lead and the ball in the final 30 seconds of overtime, because Braden Smith lowered his left shoulder and extended his left arm and sent Hepburn stumbling back with 21 seconds left. That gave the Badgers the ball with plenty of time to find an easy shot for Klesmit, and that gave the Boilers the ball with enough time to find only a difficult heave from Jones at the buzzer.

See how hard was it for Purdue to lose this game? Almost impossible, to lose this game, but let’s spin it forward now with something positive. Let’s say the No. 3-ranked Boilers, with a 29-4 record entering the NCAA tournament, took care of their one unfathomable loss — think of another movie, “Mission: Impossible” — before the NCAA tournament even begins.
Feel better?

Yeah, me neither.

I mean, he's not wrong. This team's had some shaky moments the past few weeks, and yesterday was a game they should have won by 10 or more. So many self-inflicted mistakes, bad decisions, defensive breakdowns, missed shots, etc. It's totally fair to question if they can make a March run, when they are clearly not playing their best in March. Again. It's frustrating to watch.

On the flip, I still personally think this team is different. They have a gear that they flashed recently at Illinois in 2nd half that they've hit all season when it's time to prove people wrong. Why can't they play like that every game? I think it's about being on edge and being locked in, and yesterday they just weren't for some reason. Don't get me wrong, they wanted to win, but Wisconsin wanted it more and that is something hard to manufacture when you've beat a team twice and already won outright championship.

Next week though, no team will be more ready or on edge to play than Purdue. No one. After sitting in the FDU loss for a year this team finally made it back and it's time to right the wrong. Get Braden healthy, and I guarantee we will all be talking about who we are playing in sweet 16 next Sunday night.

Purdue got a lot of calls against Wisconsin.

Most would have resulted in a bucket if the foul hadn’t been called on the floor anyway.
Critical calls/no calls late that cost Purdue the game IMO

Edey got hacked on the arm on the Smith pass. A number of reviews, when called on the floor one way, is very close either way and reveals a missed foul, aren’t overturned.

Gillis never touched the guy on that
Wisconsin player rebound.

Smith push off. That foul at that point in the game when no advantage was gained.

Ok so he is wrong. Nobody is worried about ghosts of seasons past in the tournament. Good.

Reactions: drewjin
If Purdue had won this tournament, people would still be make comparisons to last year. Personally, I think this game meant a lot more to Wisconsin than it did Purdue.

Once Purdue has played its first game in the next tournament, this loss will be forgotten. It would have been nice to have won another BTT, but not winning it isn’t some ominous sign. Rather, it’s a game with a lot of correctable errors which Purdue needs to clean up before the next one.

Can you really expect perfection from November through March, and then perfection in the B1G Tornament, and then perfection in the NCAA Tournament? Does Doyel have any right to expect that?
Strawman. Nobody expects that. The expectation/hope is to be closer to perfection in March than November more often than we have in the last 40+ years.

Wisconsin, much like a few other BIG teams, fouls on every single play. In one of the final possessions, Braden was fouled the entire way down court but the refs sat on their whistles. Yes Braden was even fouled before he pushed off. Wisconsin had 28 fouls to our 17. That doesn't include many Wisconsin fouls that went uncalled. This is the painful state of college basketball now. Why is this more of a problem for Purdue than other teams? Our guards are undersized and have been undersized for years. We get man-handled and have trouble defending one on one. Late game it rears it's ugly head because refs "let them play." Maybe, in late game situations, bigger is better? Just a thought.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
- - -

Feel better?

Yeah, me neither.
Wow, lets get down and wallow in it.
We lost because Braden Smith was hurt and we didn't have anyone to contest the pg.
Big whoop.
To suggest that the game yesterday had ANYTHING to do with Purdue "history" is lame as f.
Yeh, I feel better.

If Purdue had won this tournament, people would still be make comparisons to last year. Personally, I think this game meant a lot more to Wisconsin than it did Purdue.

Once Purdue has played its first game in the next tournament, this loss will be forgotten. It would have been nice to have won another BTT, but not winning it isn’t some ominous sign. Rather, it’s a game with a lot of correctable errors which Purdue needs to clean up before the next one.
I just hope Braden's lower rebounding total and lower FG% in the Wisconsin
loss aren't due to his calf injury. We need him 100% the rest of the way.

People can be “worried” (tho it does them no good) but his reasoning is flawed.
Nah. Despite the excuses Smith hurt, Purdue not into it, they had the rebounding and foul shots and their front line out and found a way to lose anyway. That’s the point. Can Purdue meet the moment, we will see.That was the point.

Ok so he is wrong. Nobody is worried about ghosts of seasons past in the tournament. Good.
There are a lot of things that can be written explaining such and such. However, Zach in drop or one man zone has to be better in contesting the deeper mid range shots and doing so requires the other players in position to be tuned in to Zach's man on the boards as well as wings cutting for a bounce pass from the person driving into the middle of the lane...especially if not worried about the 3 ball. Zach is very vulnerable to the bounce pass when in drop.

You are a rational poster as are some others. I appreciate that. Generally there are a lot of emotional outbursts that happen in all areas of comment. There always a generalization to "lump together" things that may have a different reason. I wanted the team to win as did the players. It meant a lot more to MSU as well as you could see in their starting lineup intro. When Purdue has loss a game this year...there usually are unusual events.

There are a lot of things that can be written explaining such and such. However, Zach in drop or one man zone has to be better in contesting the deeper mid range shots and doing so requires the other players in position to be tuned in to Zach's man on the boards as well as wings cutting for a bounce pass from the person driving into the middle of the lane...especially if not worried about the 3 ball. Zach is very vulnerable to the bounce pass when in drop.
All true. Your technical knowledge is best on the board. The question is why these mistakes by players and coaches now? Why does a 41% three point shooting team hit in the low 30’s this time of year?

Reactions: drewjin and Grob13
- - -

Feel better?

Yeah, me neither.
I don’t like at the end of the games how guys pass up shots and force into Edey, guys like Loyer and Gillis need to bust 3’s, Jones seems to take most of those type shots and he’s the worst shooter of the 3.

I don’t like at the end of the games how guys pass up shots and force into Edey, guys like Loyer and Gillis need to bust 3’s, Jones seems to take most of those type shots and he’s the worst shooter of the 3.

I agree generally in most games a balanced attack is best.

But yesterday with guys with 4 fouls many of them being bench guys.....that absolutely was the place for the NPOTY to feast.

Strawman. Nobody expects that. The expectation/hope is to be closer to perfection in March than November more often than we have in the last 40+ years.
OK, I do see where you're coming from on this. There might not be a fan base in the country that feels its own ghosts of March than Purdue. I've been guilty of it myself.

BUT, some things aren't strawmen:

1. We've heard the same hot takes after every Purdue loss this year. Each loss becomes positive proof that the team is doomed to an early NCAA exit.

2. Purdue is not the only national champion contender that has struggled down the stretch. Only 1 of the 4 projected #1 seeds won their conference tournaments. Houston got curb stomped by 28. Arizona lost to a team that might not even make the tournament. Nort Carolina lost (soundly) to a team that definitely would not have made the tournament. Tennessee lost to a team that is 13 spots lower than Wisconsin in the NET.

All true. Your technical knowledge is best on the board. The question is why these mistakes by players and coaches now? Why does a 41% three point shooting team hit in the low 30’s this time of year?
Thank you. That was very kind if not deserving. First, I do see this team different even if there are some similarity in metrics. I would need to really go back and review each game a bit to see what my thoughts might be. That said there are general things in play concerning the "best" look behind the arc.

There are wide open transition shooting as a result of a turnover or long rebound that allows a push. Against MSU there was a time that Braden and Fletch were on that push and Braden never hit Fletch, but saw another. Fletch threw his arms down not getting the ball. That happens, but you never know if the opportunity is there to score off in transition or not. I wrote elsewhere that in the MSU game Walker hit two 3s in the corner due to no safety back...which would be Lance or Fletch. Braden drove the ball and missed at the rim and so MSU gets the ball and Braden's man is already on the fly down the court and Braden is under the basket.

The best look for a 3 is when the ball comes out of the lane. The shooter has less footwork and is already looking at the basket. This can happen by ball penetration either by a pass, shot or a player. If player (Braden) penetrates and finds an open player...good, but teams conference teams know that and may not leave a shooter open. Naturally if Zach has the ball and a guard digs down at the ball, then Zach and the shooter can pass back and forth and possibly get a 3 ball or time is running out and Zach tries to score. We rarely see guards dig at the ball (period) that come from a shooter that Zach can see. Sometimes if comes from more of a blind side...and why that shooter has to move to an area Zach can see. Sometimes if Zach is successful when a 4 man comes to double he has Trey at the basket or Mason if playing behind the arc, but those players behind the arc have to be in the window or view and so a little battle between Zach to widen that view and the defense to not allow it are in play al the time. This whole paragraph above is about execution in which the D is trying to make more difficult. Lastly, mid range to long rebounds in general where the D is already out of position and scrambling allow a kick out to an open shooter.

These teams know each other well and so they are typically more effective in playing D against the various looks. What I have also seen some that would have been somewhat unheard of years ago was for the perimeter defenders to not look at the ball as it enters the lane, but to stay focused on a shooter only watching him and so better D and familiarity with the players enhancing the D can be blamed. Lastly, knowing the shooters and their spots, we are now seeing harder closeouts and maybe 1/2 second less time to shoot. Lance may be shooting a bit farther out, Mason, needing that 1/2 second and Fletch now driving against the harder close out...where he may get bounced around. Those explain maybe why less shots, but could in addition contribute to poorer shooting. What I don't think is the shooters getting in a funk collectively at this time, but not getting quite as good of look which has nothing to do with being open for some, but all to do with the shooter feeling he is open. Now should the games get tight and Purdue is behind , then always that pressure grows.

OK, I do see where you're coming from on this. There might not be a fan base in the country that feels its own ghosts of March than Purdue. I've been guilty of it myself.

1. We've heard the same hot takes after every Purdue loss this year. Each loss becomes positive proof that the team is doomed to an early NCAA exit.

2. Purdue is not the only national champion contender that has struggled down the stretch. Only 1 of the 4 projected #1 seeds won their conference tournaments. Houston got curb stomped by 28. Arizona lost to a team that might not even make the tournament. Nort Carolina lost (soundly) to a team that definitely would not have made the tournament. Tennessee lost to a team that is 13 spots lower than Wisconsin in the NET.
agree people that fill their diaper after every loss are tiresome. especially after they claim we should rest guys and not care about the BTT.

Right? The absolute denial by some here and the spinning to make losing in march early to a bad team not being a big deal is truly breath taking.

I cant imagine how some people can be so incredibly dense.

None of those teams have the blatant history of choking against double digit seeds anywbere near as often as us, thats why it is totally different and no where near as alarming. You know this, but choose to play stupid instead.

When was the last time Arizona, UNC, Houston were in final 4s or elite 8s?

Now when was our last time?

Just stop the stupidity and the charade of not understanding why people get upset at purdue repeating history

Next week though, no team will be more ready or on edge to play than Purdue. No one. After sitting in the FDU loss for a year this team finally made it back and it's time to right the wrong. Get Braden healthy, and I guarantee we will all be talking about who we are playing in sweet 16 next Sunday night.
Agree 100%. It's Go Time now, and I expect Purdue to meet the moment.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
- - -

Feel better?

Yeah, me neither.
I always know when Purdue is "on" their game by watching their passing. 16 turnovers, which Doyle didn't mention. One fewer turnover and Purdue wins. Play to their average TOs and it's likely a double-digit win. But the turnovers were a sign that they just weren't mentally focused -- they weren't sharp. You could find dozens of examples throughout the game.

It's a coach's nightmare when you spend countless hours preparing for these moments and then, out of the blue, you see they are mentally not fully engaged.

None of those teams have the blatant history of choking against double digit seeds anywbere near as often as us, thats why it is totally different and no where near as alarming. You know this, but choose to play stupid instead.

Just stop the stupidity and the charade of not understanding why people get upset at purdue repeating history
Arizona and Tennessee absolutely have that history.

Everyone should go on a non-stop hysterical rant. That will fix it.

agree people that fill their diaper after every loss are tiresome. especially after they claim we should rest guys and not care about the BTT.
The team and staff cared about the BTT. Your reference indicates just how much the NCAA tourney must mean to them personally as though it is the only thing of importance. I hope they find other things in their life of importance and not have 18-22 year olds running up and down a court dictating their esteem. You wonder when soooooo many references all lead to the tourney as the only important or real importance of the team. I hope the team does well in the tourney for the team and staff sake and the others that need it for some other reason

I always know when Purdue is "on" their game by watching their passing. 16 turnovers, which Doyle didn't mention. One fewer turnover and Purdue wins. Play to their average TOs and it's likely a double-digit win. But the turnovers were a sign that they just weren't mentally focused -- they weren't sharp. You could find dozens of examples throughout the game.

It's a coach's nightmare when you spend countless hours preparing for these moments and then, out of the blue, you see they are mentally not fully engaged.
The mental part is always a question...much more than the X and Os. If one good team is fully focused and another is not fully focused...focused but not on the same edge it will play a huge role in different areas. I don't think Purdue was generally unfocused (well maybe some pass and catch things), but not as ready to go as MSU and Wisconsin...teams it had already beaten

The team and staff cared about the BTT. Your reference indicates just how much the NCAA tourney must mean to them personally as though it is the only thing of importance. I hope they find other things in their life of importance and not have 18-22 year olds running up and down a court dictating their esteem. You wonder when soooooo many references all lead to the tourney as the only important or real importance of the team. I hope the team does well in the tourney for the team and staff sake and the others that need it for some other reason
I'm talking about fans who claim the BTT is meaningless then still get all hyper emotional about a 1 pt loss to a top 25 team like it's the end of the world and indicative that nothing has or will ever change. I understand that the team wants to compete and win every time they step on the court from scrimmages to BTT and NCAAT.

Right? The absolute denial by some here and the spinning to make losing in march early to a bad team not being a big deal is truly breath taking.

I cant imagine how some people can be so incredibly dense.
I can't imagine some people being so negative and torn up about a loss. Some ignorant people on here!

I'm talking about fans who claim the BTT is meaningless then still get all hyper emotional about a 1 pt loss to a top 25 team like it's the end of the world and indicative that nothing has or will ever change. I understand that the team wants to compete and win every time they step on the court from scrimmages to BTT and NCAAT.
I agreed with you and added a bit about the tourney. No disagreement from me. Looking back I think "them" confused you. I was talking about those on a rant

Reactions: Gemini95

Zona - 2001 , last E8 was 2015
Houston - 2021…before that 1984, E8 2021 and 22, then before that 1984
UNC - while having multiple 5 stars and future nba stars almost every year, it was in 2022 which that team caught fire, but returned everyone except one player and they didn’t even make the tourney the following year. They have a new coach that made that run, but hes still unproven.

Not saying you’re wrong that we have to still prove ourselves and that it’s disappointing and devastating each time it happens, but Arizona isn’t exactly the poster child for getting to the F4…they lost to a 15 seed last year. Houston just recently became good with Sampson.

Just not the best examples to use here.

3P% from Yesterday back to beginning of February (2 losses over this span) -

31% (L vs Wisconsin in BTT)
36%
50%
56%
50%
29%
52%
33% (L at OSU)
47%
38%
27%

- - -

Feel better?

Yeah, me neither.
Doyel is a modern day Muckraker. He's a WWITWB so-called journalist.

Reactions: z_one
I mean, he's not wrong. This team's had some shaky moments the past few weeks, and yesterday was a game they should have won by 10 or more. So many self-inflicted mistakes, bad decisions, defensive breakdowns, missed shots, etc. It's totally fair to question if they can make a March run, when they are clearly not playing their best in March. Again. It's frustrating to watch.

On the flip, I still personally think this team is different. They have a gear that they flashed recently at Illinois in 2nd half that they've hit all season when it's time to prove people wrong. Why can't they play like that every game? I think it's about being on edge and being locked in, and yesterday they just weren't for some reason. Don't get me wrong, they wanted to win, but Wisconsin wanted it more and that is something hard to manufacture when you've beat a team twice and already won outright championship.

He's not wrong. It's up to Painter and Purdue to make him wrong. That's been the cross borne especially this season but several seasons prior.

I mean he's right about not losing that game. We could have won it when Edey threw the ball out of bounds, or if either Edey or Jones hit two free throws, or if we don't give up multiple easy layups at the end of regulation and overtime, or if Braden doesn't do that boneheaded push off. I mean the number of chances we were given to win that game is kind of ridiculous.

So ultimately folks can get mad at him or declare he's click baiting, but until this program actually gets deep into the tournament, it's correct.

Now can they? Of course. Will they? TBD, by the coaching staff and the players. They can make all these criticisms go away with one FF run. Heck they can probably do it with an elite 8 run.

But lose the first weekend or to a double digit seed yet again? Welp, some Purdue fans might say that's ok, the tourney isn't really all that matters, but folks outside of the program are going to be spending another year asking why Purdue can't get it done in the tourney.

So, if players and fans want to look at this as nonsense they can, but it's going to be the perception outside the program if we lose to Utah State or TCU or fall in the Sweet 16 to some double digit darling again.

Reactions: Gesysp and drewjin
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT