ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan State v. Purdue Game Thread

Purdue Grad in Texas

All-American
Mar 22, 2010
Good evening ladies and gentlemen. Tonight, the Michigan State Spartans (17-11; 9-8) visit Mackey Arena to take on the #2-ranked Purdue Boilermakers (25-3; 14-3) in a key conference clash. Tip is scheduled for approximately 8:00 pm (Eastern time) with television coverage on FOX.

Projected Starting Line-ups:

Michigan State - Xavier Booker, Malik Hall, Jaden Akins, A.J. Hoggard, and Tyson Walker

Purdue - Zach Edey, Trey Kaufman-Renn, Lance Jones, Fletcher Loyer, and Braden Smith

This is the only regular season meeting between the two teams. Michigan State has had somewhat of an up and down year but playing better in the latter stages until two recent stumbles against Iowa and Ohio State at home. However, make no mistake, they can be a formidable team under Tom Izzo. Despite being further down the standings than expected, they come in as the 20th ranked team according to KenPom, only below Purdue and Illinois among conference teams.

The Spartans have the 45th adjusted offense according to KenPom and score 74.4 points per game on the season. They are 12th in adjusted defense and play at a very deliberate pace at 296th in adjusted tempo. Tyson Walker leads Michigan State with 18.1 points plus 2.9 assists a game this season. Jaden Akins (10.8 points, 3.7 rebounds), A.J. Hoggard (11.2 points, 3.1 rebounds, five assists) and Malik Hall (12.9 points, 5.4 rebounds) are solid secondary scoring options. Malik Hall has played particularly well of late and expect him to be a key contributor this evening. Michigan State shoots 47.1% from the field as a team this season. The Spartans knock down an average of 6.5 three-point field goals on the year while shooting 36.7% from beyond the arc, putting them 46th in Division I.

Even though Michigan State and Purdue have not played yet this season, these two teams are very familiar with the other and their respective tendencies. Purdue has an edge in the front-court overall, and Michigan State has an edge in the back-court. Tyson Walker has had big games against the Boilers in the past, and they'll need to keep him somewhat in check. All three of the Spartans' starting guards can penetrate and score off the drive as well as from long-range, and Purdue will have its hands full containing them. This game shapes up to be an extremely competitive, physical contest. Purdue would grab at least a share of the regular season conference title with a win tonight. Michigan State would get back on track and likely improve its seeding for post-season play.....expect Purdue to get their best shot and then some.

Can the Boilers execute successfully now that the stakes have gotten higher? We shall see, stating in a little over an hour or so.

Boiler Up, my friends...

i
i

Purdue should handle Sparty, but the fact we've had their number lately has me a wee bit nervous their due to steal one.....

Also, I feel like Zach is going to hit 40 in one of these last regular season games. Maybe tonight if Izzo goes coverage with the worst 5's in the B1G?

Reactions: Schnelk
Purdue should handle Sparty, but the fact we've had their number lately has me a wee bit nervous their due to steal one.....

Also, I feel like Zach is going to hit 40 in one of these last regular season games. Maybe tonight if Izzo goes coverage with the worst 5's in the B1G?
Zack should have a great game vs their Centers, and if Purdue is head and shoulders better than the rest of the BIG10 as most talking heads say, we should win it at home in prime time

Reactions: Schnelk and Roeder
Was there a LANCE JONES....senior moment thread??

Love that kid. Great, great family.
Playing for pops

Don't have a ticket for Purdue/Wisconsin to finish the season? The Autograph app is going to be selling a couple last minute tickets for $16.

Autograph has partnered with Boiler Upload this month to provide an even better fan experience during March Madness. Autograph: Fandom Rewarded

Let’s go from Saratoga - Lance Jones - can you think of a better off season addition? Way he plays D, loves the team and community, isn’t afraid to shoot it - man love this guy.

Bad foul call but what is jones doing. a few calls go against us and we become head cases

edey has to make that

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT