ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan State v. Purdue Game Thread

That's my big takeaway from this one too. Would have loved an easy 15-20 point win, but Fletch breaking out of his slump in a close win is exactly what this team needed.

I also think Braden needs a shout out for playing 40 mins, controlling the offense as usual, AND keeping Walker in check on defense. Maybe his best defensive game?

second half defense on Walker was really good...... 23/9/3 and no second half turnovers......great game/mission accomplished for Agent Smith. :)

second half defense on Walker was really good...... 23/9/3 and no second half turnovers......great game/mission accomplished for Agent Smith. :)
I was trying to catch Dustin after the game to tell him not only Braden running the team and great offense, but was really impressed with his D on Walker the 2nd half. They wouldn’t let anyone go down to where the parents sat

So satisfying to beat izzo at home for the BIG championship while trying his usual crap of crying over every call that goes against him, whining about every msu foul while coaching them to beat the crap out of the other team, and takes forever to play the game because he wants to discuss every call with either the refs or the scorekeeper. Yes very satisfying.

Definitely need more involvement and sharing the ball. 38 is a good half, but I look for Purdue to be 44+ in H2.....even with all the mugging Izzo has talked the refs into. If they don't score 44+....that let's MSU in the game
Purdue got into bonus with around 5 to go first half and was in bonus with 14:26 to go second half I believe

Hey Gillis got a point!

he usually doesn’t disappear but he has this game
So MSU covered the 3 ball pretty well most the game as far as position on Mason and Lance and why Mason passed up some looks. Then MSU used bodies on Zach and thank God he never missed a bunch of FTs. Just now reading comments but not a good game for Lance. Lost his head a bit. Had a push and rather than Lance catching and going for the layup he went behind the arc for 3 😔

Reactions: Schmedly_Whiplash
What a weird game! From the slip-and-slide turned into a Malik Hall 3 (that you knew was going in), to the strange call on the goaltend (why can't they review it right away? and why wasn't it an and-1?) to Courtney Greene tripping Loyer. In the end, I couldn't be happier for these guys to win a Big 10 Championship once again.

If only Braden could have had more assists I would have won some $$$$.

Reactions: Roeder and tjreese
Purdue got into bonus with around 5 to go first half and was in bonus with 14:26 to go second half I believe

Yes that will cut down assists. But that has happened before.

But when Smith only has 3 assists, it is a fair statement to say they needed to share the ball more @ the half. Admittedly, Smith was on a tear offensively by himself. And that alone cuts down assists. 15 team assists for the game not bad. But not the best either. Many of those 15 assists in H2 after I said that.

I thinks it’s interesting when one guard is having an off night the other two guards elevate their game. It’s also nice to see when the game gets close at the end , we didn’t choke and lose

That was very strange.
Yea, I freaking needed
It was like Izzo had MSU and the points and didn’t want to risk blowing the cover with a bunch of free throws in the last 10 seconds.
I neede Walker to hit one more basket for a pretty big parlay, well, for me $80 is big lol, dude couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn in the second half! I did take Sparty, hammered Loyer as well, plus for the game but minimal.

So MSU covered the 3 ball pretty well most the game as far as position on Mason and Lance and why Mason passed up some looks. Then MSU used bodies on Zach and thank God he never missed a bunch of FTs. Just now reading comments but not a good game for Lance. Lost his head a bit. Had a push and rather than Lance catching and going for the layup he went behind the arc for 3 😔
A couple of times Mason passed up wide open looks, one time either him or maybe Cam was hearing about it from an assistant Coach, need to shoot those wide open ones.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef

Great coaching adjustment on a bad coaching move in H1. No way Morton was doing that. Not sure why they even tried that in H1??

That Smith/TKR double worked early in H2 to frustrate him. Jones had him a play or two. Smith worked harder in H2. He still got points but the team D made it difficult in H2.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Great coaching adjustment on a bad coaching move in H1. No way Morton was doing that. Not sure why they even tried that in H1??

That Smith/TKR double worked early in H2 to frustrate him. Jones had him a play or two. Smith worked harder in H2. He still got points but the team D made it difficult in H2.
Glad you called out that KrazyChicago dude, if he’s not a troll he could be the most obnoxious fan on here, Jesus, get a grip, it’s a freaking game. I guess Purdue should be 30-0 with every game being a blowout, MSU was sweet 16 last year, pretty much the same team out there.

I thinks it’s interesting when one guard is having an off night the other two guards elevate their game. It’s also nice to see when the game gets close at the end , we didn’t choke and lose
That's how it's been all year. That's why this team will have a deep March run.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
I was trying to catch Dustin after the game to tell him not only Braden running the team and great offense, but was really impressed with his D on Walker the 2nd half. They wouldn’t let anyone go down to where the parents sat
That was the best defensive game I have seen Braden play. He handled Walker very well , staying in front and denying him his spots. He was excellent.

Wrong context.
I posted, "Good Heavens Loyer", after Smith worked his but off to make a great steel, and then Loyer gave it right back to MSU.
I think you and another was in my replay. My reply was to the other but as I was reading the car hit a bounce and it went to a reply for you I went back out and then replied to the other and apparently you were included. Not sure, but if you read my response the other person maybe Paboiler didn't like Lance to take the ball out and my reply was ...do you want him to catch it (meaning he would not be the trigger man, but the person that could be the receiver of the ball getting bounced around under the basket)

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Yes that will cut down assists. But that has happened before.

But when Smith only has 3 assists, it is a fair statement to say they needed to share the ball more @ the half. Admittedly, Smith was on a tear offensively by himself. And that alone cuts down assists. 15 team assists for the game not bad. But not the best either. Many of those 15 assists in H2 after I said that.
The bonus allows Purdue easier opportunity to score...and score without the clock running. Purdue should always have a better half when in bonus early. I wasn't even considering assists, but scoring.

The bonus allows Purdue easier opportunity to score...and score without the clock running. Purdue should always have a better half when in bonus early. I wasn't even considering assists, but scoring.

Oh.
You replied to a post about both sharing the ball and scoring so perhaps I was the confused one there

Reactions: tjreese
A couple of times Mason passed up wide open looks, one time either him or maybe Cam was hearing about it from an assistant Coach, need to shoot those wide open ones.
Where do you sit? You must be down quite a bit from me. Mason didn't shoot because he didn't feel it it appeared to me and part of that was the coverage on him. I recall on elbow pass that took him out as well. Haven't seen any stats but don't think Lance shot a lot behind the arc either (2 bad ones I can recall). I recall Mason getting a look in front of the bench and one on top in the second half, but it appeared to me where I was sitting that for most of the game MSU did a good job covering people off a pass that they wanted. Fletch surprised them a bit thinking he streak would continue and Braden got his off the dribble, but it appeared to be that overall they had good coverage on Mason and Lance. I may have a different perspective once I watch it again on the TV?

Yeah. Probably Painters fault for not making sure pot holes are fixed in West Lafayette.
I think it may have been a dip (railroad track ?) heading east on 26 just before 52. We were going to East End Grill or would have turned off before then. I thought I fell a bit of vibration and she pulled into the parking lot and I got out and sure enough the rear pass tire was flat. I'll take it to get a plug in just a few.

They had a man covering Mason tightly on all those late shot clock flashes he does so well with. THey worked hard taking him out.

They had a man covering Mason tightly on all those late shot clock flashes he does so well with. THey worked hard taking him out.
I have to rewatch the game since when I saw it live I thought there were a lot of good decisions not to shoot behind the three-point line and force things, but some others thought that the coaching staff was wanting them to shoot, which is kind of contrary to what I thought I saw maybe I was mistaken?

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
I have to rewatch the game since when I saw it live I thought there were a lot of good decisions not to shoot behind the three-point line and force things, but some others thought that the coaching staff was wanting them to shoot, which is kind of contrary to what I thought I saw maybe I was mistaken?
I too thought there were several looks that were passed up in the last 10 minutes. That resulted in several turnovers forcing it into Zach.

I think it may have been a dip (railroad track ?) heading east on 26 just before 52. We were going to East End Grill or would have turned off before then. I thought I fell a bit of vibration and she pulled into the parking lot and I got out and sure enough the rear pass tire was flat. I'll take it to get a plug in just a few.
do they still do plugs in tires out there? Here in Pa. they used to but about 5 yrs ago it has to be a patch on the inside

We won. Anybody have anything they want to complain about?
thought the announcers were talking too much during the game and sometimes talking about things outside of the game while it's going on, like Jim will you be checking in on nascar tomorrow? and nothing against the guys personally but at times just rambling

thought the announcers were talking too much during the game and sometimes talking about things outside of the game while it's going on, like Jim will you be checking in on nascar tomorrow? and nothing against the guys personally but at times just rambling

Haha - then I'm "guessing" you really liked the Pinball Wizard/Who/Tommy discussion.

do they still do plugs in tires out there? Here in Pa. they used to but about 5 yrs ago it has to be a patch on the inside
so, what is considered the sidewall is whatever is outside the groove. I went to Sam's Club and got some Michelin defenders...more than I wanted to spend approx $900, but have had them before and have been a great tire. NO, they wouldn't plug it, but would if more in the middle of the tire. I was probably due for some tires. I had a gas station in the past that had a special plug that I've used when NOBODY would plug it and they plugged two tires in the past that never had an issue. That plug was like a hybrid plug/patch and they had a certain place they could get them, but don't recall where (retired and sold station a couple of years ago). I assume you could buy from amazon a plug kit if you wanted to do your own and you couldn't find a kit locally?

This is the result of companies being afraid of a lawsuit should there be a blame on the tire plugged. Spilling hot coffee and deep pockets have contributed to lots of problems.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT