ADVERTISEMENT

Phinisee

BoilerPride08

Senior
May 18, 2006
Looks like he's transferring out of IU. Painter made a random remark in his press conference a while back how he really liked Phinisee as a player really wanted him at Purdue when he was recruiting him out of high school. Knowing we are short at PG next year, it's those things that make one go "hmmmm....". Was that a public signal to him that he'd be interested in adding him for next year?

• Wow
Reactions: Bethboilerfan
So question is with everyone jumping ship, will Indinia even have enough players to put a team together next year?
Even with Rob and Landers leaving, they are at 14 scholarships for next season. 1 more player needs to get sent thru the Woodchopper still.

Looks like he's transferring out of IU. Painter made a random remark in his press conference a while back how he really liked Phinisee as a player really wanted him at Purdue when he was recruiting him out of high school. Knowing we are short at PG next year, it's those things that make one go "hmmmm....". Was that a public signal to him that he'd be interested in adding him for next year?
I don’t think that’s a crazy idea for depth. But he clearly wants to start and if he’s our starting PG we are in trouble as I would say he’s a step back from Hunter. Good defense but less than 30% from 3 and 41% FT shooter.

So question is with everyone jumping ship, will Indinia even have enough players to put a team together next year?
They had to have at least 3 guys move on that...so, they now should be under the 13 limit by 1...assuming Thompson and Jackson-Davis return.

Even with Rob and Landers leaving, they are at 14 scholarships for next season. 1 more player needs to get sent thru the Woodchopper still.
I thought with Stewart, that put them at 13, and, with Durr, that put them at 12...but, maybe I am not right on that.

You're being silly if you think him coming here is going to make the team weaker. With or without Hunter. Has Hunter even talked about returning?

Oh ok. Addition by subtraction IMO.
Normally I would say yes but for a team that struggled with shooting 3s Stewart was their best shooter and Durr provided meaningful minutes off the bench. I’m not sure they will find many bigs that will agree to play Durrs role and be an improvment but I do think they can find a starting wing that would be an improvement over Kopp and Stewart.

I don’t think that’s a crazy idea for depth. But he clearly wants to start and if he’s our starting PG we are in trouble as I would say he’s a step back from Hunter. Good defense but less than 30% from 3 and 41% FT shooter.
I assume the reaponse was meant to respond to this. I didn’t mean he would be a step back in terms of sitting behind him but pointing out if he were our starting PG o think we would be weaker at that position than this year. Defensively they may be pretty close but Hunter is a much better shooter.

Do we need a shooting PG, with the wings/posts here/coming in or do we need a distributer who can play a sort of "true PG" style getting everyone involved and facilitating the offense.

I'd take a long hard look at Phinisee and Lander next year if EHJ moves on.
EHJ is moving on. Those two are terrible shooters. If they can’t shoot I at least want them to be good passers which they aren’t. I would rather Morton start at PG with IT backing up than Lander or Phinisee but I think we’ll have better options in the portal. Someone will want to come and be in great position to start for a winning team and with the good shooters we have at the 2-4 will see good potential to prove as a distributor.

Do we need a shooting PG, with the wings/posts here/coming in or do we need a distributer who can play a sort of "true PG" style getting everyone involved and facilitating the offense.
Either but the true PG still needs to hit FTs (Phinisee cannot).

Either but the true PG still needs to hit FTs (Phinisee cannot).
Looked up his free throw stats and Yikes it gets worse every year! Granted he has only shot 17 this year but still 41% this year and 65% career average....

Looked up his free throw stats and Yikes it gets worse every year! Granted he has only shot 17 this year but still 41% this year and 65% career average....
He was pretty good in high school. Did they move the FT line back in college play? Lol

• Haha
Reactions: ChoiceBeef
You going to start a candle light vigil for the return of the prodigal son, Robert Phinisee, for his return to the kingdom of his ancestors? (TIC)
If that's what it takes. LOL. He's an upgrade over whats left at the end of the season. You knew I wouldn't be able to resist this thread!!

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
They had to have at least 3 guys move on that...so, they now should be under the 13 limit by 1...assuming Thompson and Jackson-Davis return.

There is no way TJD returns. I am in Center Grove and their constant messages on the chatter boards about how he's a top 20 player and would've been a lottery pick last year but he wanted to go back and put IU back in the NCAA tournament to cement his legacy as an IU great. They guy just pisses excellence and NBA teams will be climbing all over each other to get him.

Yeah, I've blocked a lot of people on FB. I don't need that kind of stupidity in my life.

Lander, Phinisee, Durr, Stewart...

That's probably not all that will go...
Hard to know...I don't think any of those guys surprise me...maybe Stewart I guess. Odd that 3 of the guys were 3 of the 4 suspended...only one still remaining is Johnson.

Durr...no impact, and, again, I personally wish he would have stayed.

Stewart...the epitome of a mixed bag...only reason he is a loss is he was about the only guy that could shoot.

Lander...no impact, largely in that he made a horrible decision to go there, and, in that player development has been so poor there.

Phinisee was never appreciated there to the extent that he should have been. He may be the most impactful loss, but, with the kid they have coming in, possibly not.

All of that said, everything for them hinges on Jackson-Davis and Thompson.

There is no way TJD returns. I am in Center Grove and their constant messages on the chatter boards about how he's a top 20 player and would've been a lottery pick last year but he wanted to go back and put IU back in the NCAA tournament to cement his legacy as an IU great. They guy just pisses excellence and NBA teams will be climbing all over each other to get him.

Yeah, I've blocked a lot of people on FB. I don't need that kind of stupidity in my life.
It will be interesting to see what happens...he helped himself at the end of the year, but, I don't know how genuinely much.

I won't be surprised at all if he were to return.

Thompson is probably as interesting, if not more in that I feel like he was kind of a glue guy there.

Get XJ instead of RP

XJ has more talent, but no way he would ever be a Boiler. Not a fit for this program in any way... no offense. I don't talk negative about these 18-23 year old men as they find their way in life with many of them doing their best. But 100% no from me on XJ.

Phinisee however should have been here to start with and I am going to bet he wishes had had....

Reactions: Purdue85
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT