ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Cox is better!

oldboiler52

True Freshman
Jan 5, 2012
CJ has moved up my rankings for 2024. After watching 5+ games over the weekend. Kid is the heir apparent to Braden Smith. Hell, no it won't be Harris. I really like Harris at the 2 or point guard 1b. Harris is a combo guard and a great one. Cox is an elite PG he is a leader on the court. Never thought anyone in this class would challenge Harris for best defender but IMO Cox is better which is insane. So why the sudden change? Pressure on the ball he just wears on you and fills the passing lanes with his speed and court Savey. We need shooters I would rank him slightly behind Benter only because Benter's range is in the gym. He doesn't need screens or plays run for him he can get his shot up whenever he wants due to his speed. He is a better on ball defender than Braden right now Braden is the better passer. He just doesn't throw the fireball passes across the court like Braden. He is Jaden Ivey fast which has served a struggling shooter in Ivey well. IMO Painter had no choice in offering Cox. If i am Painter and I see a potential Jaden Ivey, the offer can't get out of my mouth soon enough. How was this kid even available? People say Painter see's what others don't and is the best talent evaluator in D1 in this case he didn't need to be. Last week I deemed Daniel the first player drafted in this class I am sticking with that, but Cox may get there as well. I am in no way calling him the next Jaden Ivey but he may become the next Braden Smith and that is high cotton IMO.

My rankings for the 2024 class this week #1 Gicarri Harris his defense was just crazy in two big time wins. #2 CJ Cox because he is just better than I thought. #3 Jack Benter entered the top 10 scorers in Indiana history. #4 Raleigh Burgess he was everywhere in leading his team to a conference Championship. Hitting shot all over the court while playing bully ball in the paint. I love his love for the game. #5 Daniel Jacobsen no one played the level of competition he did. Looked good hitting his three's and played physically in the lane.

Last and it's not even close. Kanon Catching is broken! The two games he played were disgusting. He came home to Indy for two games then didn't come to play. He played 39 minutes total in those games scored 16 points total. It was his body language that told you he didn't want to be there. He got away with it in the first game playing 23 minutes in a loss. Not so much in the 2nd he played only 15 minutes IMO he was benched due to a lack of effort. This league is a joke! I can't stand to watch it! And Catchings has had enough of it. I hear he will be on campus in April hopefully Purdue coaching will undo what this crap league has broken. IMO he may have gotten paid in the short run, but a lost year may cost him even more. He either finds his love for the game or he won't get in the game! Talent isn't enough without heart it just isn't. I don't blame him. I blame this crap circus for temporarily breaking our star recruit. I generally don't do negatives on our recruits, but the truth was out there for all to see. No worries for me because the talent is there. Sorry to be so negative.

CJ has moved up my rankings for 2024. After watching 5+ games over the weekend. Kid is the heir apparent to Braden Smith. Hell, no it won't be Harris. I really like Harris at the 2 or point guard 1b. Harris is a combo guard and a great one. Cox is an elite PG he is a leader on the court. Never thought anyone in this class would challenge Harris for best defender but IMO Cox is better which is insane. So why the sudden change? Pressure on the ball he just wears on you and fills the passing lanes with his speed and court Savey. We need shooters I would rank him slightly behind Benter only because Benter's range is in the gym. He doesn't need screens or plays run for him he can get his shot up whenever he wants due to his speed. He is a better on ball defender than Braden right now Braden is the better passer. He just doesn't throw the fireball passes across the court like Braden. He is Jaden Ivey fast which has served a struggling shooter in Ivey well. IMO Painter had no choice in offering Cox. If i am Painter and I see a potential Jaden Ivey, the offer can't get out of my mouth soon enough. How was this kid even available? People say Painter see's what others don't and is the best talent evaluator in D1 in this case he didn't need to be. Last week I deemed Daniel the first player drafted in this class I am sticking with that, but Cox may get there as well. I am in no way calling him the next Jaden Ivey but he may become the next Braden Smith and that is high cotton IMO.

My rankings for the 2024 class this week #1 Gicarri Harris his defense was just crazy in two big time wins. #2 CJ Cox because he is just better than I thought. #3 Jack Benter entered the top 10 scorers in Indiana history. #4 Raleigh Burgess he was everywhere in leading his team to a conference Championship. Hitting shot all over the court while playing bully ball in the paint. I love his love for the game. #5 Daniel Jacobsen no one played the level of competition he did. Looked good hitting his three's and played physically in the lane.

Last and it's not even close. Kanon Catching is broken! The two games he played were disgusting. He came home to Indy for two games then didn't come to play. He played 39 minutes total in those games scored 16 points total. It was his body language that told you he didn't want to be there. He got away with it in the first game playing 23 minutes in a loss. Not so much in the 2nd he played only 15 minutes IMO he was benched due to a lack of effort. This league is a joke! I can't stand to watch it! And Catchings has had enough of it. I hear he will be on campus in April hopefully Purdue coaching will undo what this crap league has broken. IMO he may have gotten paid in the short run, but a lost year may cost him even more. He either finds his love for the game or he won't get in the game! Talent isn't enough without heart it just isn't. I don't blame him. I blame this crap circus for temporarily breaking our star recruit. I generally don't do negatives on our recruits, but the truth was out there for all to see. No worries for me because the talent is there. Sorry to be so negative.
Dang. When a recruit loses OB52…

Kids leaving hometown schools for this garbage bothers me, wish he would have stayed put and was getting ready for the state tourney. One of my good friends kids did this (nowhere near Catchings level but low D-1) regrets it big time. No fans at the games, no newspapers reporting, absolute bore!

• Love
Reactions: oldboiler52
So you are saying there is tremendous talent coming in next year that could help make this team better, especially on defense and shooting?

So you are saying there is tremendous talent coming in next year that could help make this team better, especially on defense and shooting?
I was expecting Colvin and Heide to do some of that this year. People said Colvin would be a difference maker coming in.

I was expecting Colvin and Heide to do some of that this year. People said Colvin would be a difference maker coming in.
My biggest worry about Colvin coming into the year has appeared to play out. I've said for a couple of years that I thought it was a mistake to keep him at Heritage Christian and also not have him play the highest levels of AAU ball. He's been developing bad habits because he's played by and large against players that were not at his level and it shows.

Heide's biggest issue is he hadn't played competitive basketball in two years but I thought he had a better chance to contribute than he has because he had a full year in the system.

I don't know about better as we are about as good as it gets now. We will be different. We will play faster, and I promise you no opponent will want to see either Harris or Cox enter the game even as freshmen. The key to me is Catchings he is either our star or he isn't playing, there is no in between with him. If he isn't attacking, we don't want him out there.

I was one of them I thought his offense would hide his defense and lack of knowledge in playing team first. Seems I was wrong at this time. This is the first time he hasn't been handed the ball and told to do something. He will star when he gets it figured out. No worries

maybe will take a little more w/ Colvin to develop his game. I'll never forget when Jordan was at UNC during his JR and SR years. Alot of people said " where the hell has he'd been?" and the running joke was Dean Smith was the only guy to hold Jordan under 20.

maybe will take a little more w/ Colvin to develop his game. I'll never forget when Jordan was at UNC during his JR and SR years. Alot of people said " where the hell has he'd been?" and the running joke was Dean Smith was the only guy to hold Jordan under 20.
Am I missing the joke here?

No I get that part. I meant the joke about "people wondering where he had been until his Jr and Sr years" since he A) hit the game winning shot in the NC game as a freshman, B) averaged 20 ppg as a sophomore, and C) didn't stay for his senior year.
Yeah, was gonna at least say (C). MJ was a stud at UNC no matter how Smith kept him in check.

No I get that part. I meant the joke about "people wondering where he had been until his Jr and Sr years" since he A) hit the game winning shot in the NC game as a freshman, B) averaged 20 ppg as a sophomore, and C) didn't stay for his senior year.
animalhouse-over.gif
forget_it_he_s_rolling-DMID1-5hiej78ui-250x250.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Zaphod_B
What? Jordan went to the NBA after his Jr. Year.

Not only did he hit that shot, but that was the play called. For a freshman to take the shot.

No it according to Dakich 😂 😂

That myth was proved false tho and Dakich did nothing to slow down Jordan

I watched a good amount of the first game and he was engaged in the first quarter with two dunks —one off a press break and one from a pass from a teammate. He also had a pretty big block from behind on the opposing teams big guy. He looked fine to me, but after a bit his team was so frustrating to watch. Awful passing and just chucking up shots without running offense. Burger boi John Bol was very unimpressive to me—didn’t box out much, and got it stripped several times by smaller players.

I think Kanon, like you said, is over it all. I don’t think he’s going to be frustrated playing with this team. He may be frustrated by the expectations the coaches have to be able to play at the D1 level and hopefully he is mentally ready for that. He can score whenever he wants and that’s definitely something we have been missing last year and this (lance can do it a bit but not as well off the dribble and just pull up). Kanon is still the number 1 for me in this class.

If Jacobsen and/or cox gets to the next level, then I will be shocked but would love to be 100% wrong. That would show Painter being an absolute genius compared to anyone else in the country since no one was really offering those 2. Either way, excited to see what they bring and how they can contribute well during their careers as boilermakers.

If Cox is so quick AND a great shooter, why couldn’t he take Loyer’s spot?

I watched a good amount of the first game and he was engaged in the first quarter with two dunks —one off a press break and one from a pass from a teammate. He also had a pretty big block from behind on the opposing teams big guy. He looked fine to me, but after a bit his team was so frustrating to watch. Awful passing and just chucking up shots without running offense. Burger boi John Bol was very unimpressive to me—didn’t box out much, and got it stripped several times by smaller players.

I think Kanon, like you said, is over it all. I don’t think he’s going to be frustrated playing with this team. He may be frustrated by the expectations the coaches have to be able to play at the D1 level and hopefully he is mentally ready for that. He can score whenever he wants and that’s definitely something we have been missing last year and this (lance can do it a bit but not as well off the dribble and just pull up). Kanon is still the number 1 for me in this class.

If Jacobsen and/or cox gets to the next level, then I will be shocked but would love to be 100% wrong. That would show Painter being an absolute genius compared to anyone else in the country since no one was really offering those 2. Either way, excited to see what they bring and how they can contribute well during their careers as boilermakers.
Nice post. Jacobsen had a decent offer list (Creighton, IL, WI, others) and reclassified up a year, so he would be a great find but not a total shock. Cox would absolutely be a find from out of nowhere ala Braden Smith.

If Cox is so quick AND a great shooter, why couldn’t he take Loyer’s spot?

He could. Or someone else could.

But CMP default is to experience....most times. But there have been exceptions.

I always say, it's great when a frosh starts because we know players like Loyer, etc are very good. So if a frosh beats them out.....they must be a fantastic upgrade.

Sure, but Morton, Gillis and Furst all used to start…
None were beaten out by a true freshman. Not saying it's impossible and in fairness 1) I was very surprised that Loyer beat out Newman and 2) I'm probably biased because saying Cox was lightly recruited would be an understatement and I should know better and trust MP's evaluation skills. Just saying I would be shocked.

A quick look at the OTE stats and Catchings is still the leading scorer on his team which is tied for second in an eight team league. Shooting 54% from the field and 36 % from 3, while averaging nearly 6 rebounds. I'd also point out OTE has 10 top 100 guys for 2024 per Rivals playing in the league and 4 more from 2025.

Who knows who will have an impact, but I'm not sure describing Catchings as a broken player is fair.

I prefer not to hold much of an opinion of players before they arrive. When Edey signed I had no idea had good he would be. Same applies to Smith. I can point to others who haven’t been quite as good as I anticipated. Bottom line is that I don’t rule out any of the incoming recruits being great for Purdue and I don’t rule out any of them struggling in one way or another.

A quick look at the OTE stats and Catchings is still the leading scorer on his team which is tied for second in an eight team league. Shooting 54% from the field and 36 % from 3, while averaging nearly 6 rebounds. I'd also point out OTE has 10 top 100 guys for 2024 per Rivals playing in the league and 4 more from 2025.

Who knows who will have an impact, but I'm not sure describing Catchings as a broken player is fair.
I’d say he’s “broken” as in not playing actual team ball/real team defense. He will have to get back up to speed there, but if he’s on campus early, especially if it’s in April, he will be just fine.

They fired the head coach 4 games ago it went from barely watchable to unwatchable for me. I am anti OTE. Having watched all but 2 games of his or suffered through them he is broken. He is not wired to stand around and watch someone less talented take 90% of the shots. He is not wired for this crap show of one on one. IMO, he gets worse every time out. Numbers can lie Catchings is better than this league! What makes Kanon elite is he doesn't know or care that he is elite. At Brownsburg he played harder than hard. He never! ran down the court and stood in a corner. That happens on basically every play at OTE. When I see Raleigh Burgess at 6'10 diving on the floor at every opportunity right before I watch Kanon standing in the corner. I and everyone on here knows which player is on the court at Purdue. All five I listed ahead of him deserve it in my opinion. " PLAY HARD" it's not just a saying at Purdue it is what defines Purdue. Painter either fix's what OTE has broken, or he doesn't play. If you stand around while on the court with Cox and Harris, you will be a standout player but for the wrong reasons. Nothing rates higher for me than playing hard in a team setting because it works. As always, it's just my opinion.

They fired the head coach 4 games ago it went from barely watchable to unwatchable for me. I am anti OTE. Having watched all but 2 games of his or suffered through them he is broken. He is not wired to stand around and watch someone less talented take 90% of the shots. He is not wired for this crap show of one on one. IMO, he gets worse every time out. Numbers can lie Catchings is better than this league! What makes Kanon elite is he doesn't know or care that he is elite. At Brownsburg he played harder than hard. He never! ran down the court and stood in a corner. That happens on basically every play at OTE. When I see Raleigh Burgess at 6'10 diving on the floor at every opportunity right before I watch Kanon standing in the corner. I and everyone on here knows which player is on the court at Purdue. All five I listed ahead of him deserve it in my opinion. " PLAY HARD" it's not just a saying at Purdue it is what defines Purdue. Painter either fix's what OTE has broken, or he doesn't play. If you stand around while on the court with Cox and Harris, you will be a standout player but for the wrong reasons. Nothing rates higher for me than playing hard in a team setting because it works. As always, it's just my opinion.
Pretty sure Painter will “fix” anything that may be wrong with Catchings (if there’s anything that is). If Catchings doesn’t play and the others do…not sure where we end up next year then. Have full confidence Catchings will be fine and be diving on the floor for loose balls and playing hard like all others.

When I first saw Jaden in video, what struck me was his agility and balance around the rim. His shooting form was inconsistent in the video, but you saw the athletic potential. I've only seen Kanon twice and once he tried to do to much early and the coach took him out for a couple of minutes and he did fine after that. The second game he was fantastic and in that game he didn't have to have the ball in his hand a lot to do what he wanted. If his family was happy for him to go to Purdue and I believe that had a lot to do with Matt, then you hope the family supports Matt "IF" he sits the bench. If the game he is in right now has little team play, that won't be a problem at Purdue. Anyway, I hope he isn't broken...dented maybe, but dents can be fixed...

I find it interesting that Painter became interested in Cox when he went to one of his games and his primary recruiting interest was the guy playing for the other team, but it was clear that Cox outplayed him.

I think it’s also interesting how many positive posts were made about this time last year how awesome Myles and Heide were going to be. And now Harris, Cox, Catchings and Benter may even be better

And just like when we added Furst and TKR and they were both special, we are now adding two new big men who could be even better.

Loyer and Smith both started as freshmen. The more I read about these 6 incoming players, the more I believe any one of them could end up starting as a freshman.

And when I talk about Smith and Loyer starting as freshmen, I look back and see Morton, Furst and Gillis all accepted bench roles as experienced players. Painter is not afraid to put a starter on the bench. Look at Eastern and Stephen’s and to an extent Hunter and IT.

I like the present. But the future will be fun to watch as it all plays out.

I’d say he’s “broken” as in not playing actual team ball/real team defense. He will have to get back up to speed there, but if he’s on campus early, especially if it’s in April, he will be just fine.
On signing day Painter said something to the effect of Catchings plays really well within a a structured system, and a lot of the elite guys struggle with that at his age. I took that as Catchings has instincts to play well in team setting. OTE sounds the opposite of that, so it makes sense why he might be frustrated....

I'm sure there will be an adjustment, but he's walking into a culture where I think he'll be just fine in learning the effort side too. He definitely plays with some fire in his belly which this team needs more of IMO.

On signing day Painter said something to the effect of Catchings plays really well within a a structured system, and a lot of the elite guys struggle with that at his age. I took that as Catchings has instincts to play well in team setting. OTE sounds the opposite of that, so it makes sense why he might be frustrated....

I'm sure there will be an adjustment, but he's walking into a culture where I think he'll be just fine in learning the effort side too. He definitely plays with some fire in his belly which this team needs more of IMO.
If you can play without the ball in your hands as I mentioned above, you can play inside a system

Well plenty of PT for those who want to defend.

Sorry to hear about Catchings. But I expect by the time Brantley gets involved, it will long be forgotten.
I doubt Brandon has much to do with Catchings. He is going to have a bit more freedom and be out on the perimeter I expect. He has the talent to be REALLY good! Being THAT good is up to him though.

I find it interesting that Painter became interested in Cox when he went to one of his games and his primary recruiting interest was the guy playing for the other team, but it was clear that Cox outplayed him.

I think it’s also interesting how many positive posts were made about this time last year how awesome Myles and Heide were going to be. And now Harris, Cox, Catchings and Benter may even be better

And just like when we added Furst and TKR and they were both special, we are now adding two new big men who could be even better.

Loyer and Smith both started as freshmen. The more I read about these 6 incoming players, the more I believe any one of them could end up starting as a freshman.

And when I talk about Smith and Loyer starting as freshmen, I look back and see Morton, Furst and Gillis all accepted bench roles as experienced players. Painter is not afraid to put a starter on the bench. Look at Eastern and Stephen’s and to an extent Hunter and IT.

I like the present. But the future will be fun to watch as it all plays out.
You have to understand that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence and a different QB is the answer and so forth. Other than Kanon, and a video of here and there, I'm ignorant on the others, but also know that it is a step up in college in size, quickness and overall athletic ability. How quickly they adjust will be a key, because Matt has shown he has no problem playing a freshman...something somehow that has been a criticism in the past...because just throwing things out there happens. We do know Lance will be gone and there is nobody on the team with the characteristics Lance has, and doubt Fletcher makes a move in that direction and so Cox or Harris could be possible...and both will get some minutes most likely

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT