ADVERTISEMENT

Phinisee

Appreciate the reasonable discussion—your take is reasonable too.

X is absolutely a flawed person, but I’m still an XJ guy (with reservations until all facts come out). And that’s with this happening at the best time for IUBB; early in portal season when there are unlimited options. IU hasn’t gone after Pack but they could now.

I think X is a good kid that also has issues. His off court stuff is a lot like his on court stuff—lots of good followed by a public bad decision. He was with Leal at elementary schools this week and it was X, not Leal that arranged it all. People are seldom “bad” or “good.” Of course there are exceptions—IU had Devon Dumes and Armon Bassett- very little good there. XJ is not those kids; not at all IMO.

If you believe the police report and the news articles (and they seem consistent) he was not drunk, didn’t refuse a breathalyzer, but was doing 90 in a fast car and tried to switch seats when caught. Dumb.

18-21 year olds do dumb stuff. If you guys wanna pass Gillis over to IU I’m great with that. Good kids, bad decisions at times. XJ can still come out ahead in life and Woody can be part of that. That being said, he’s a risky guy to keep and if Woody had him on some sort of “one more time and you’re gone” status then I get it.
Timing is as ideal as possible to your point. Personally, I can't see how you let him come back after the suspension earlier (which may have been a second transgression already I thought either you had said or somebody else), then this. That said, and, again...you likely know better and more, and, no doubt that Woodson does...maybe if he does not come back, something worse happens for/with him.

Like say, I just don't see how you can build with/around a guy that just does not seem to fit what they are trying to do there and get back to...the days of Todd Meier and Steve Alford are in the past, but, it still should mean something to play there...there were any number of knuckleheads with Sampson for which it didn't, and, it seemed like there were some similar such guys this past year, including, to me at least, Johnson.

The kid can play...he was outstanding down the stretch for the most part...but, he just makes bad decisions...a lot...on the floor, and, off. He was fortunate that this did not turn out worse, and, to your point, the same could be said about Gillis and his transgression...I am confident though that there would be no question with respect to Gillis' status should something else have happened...Painter has been very clear on that in the past, and, taken action multiple times that were not in his, or his team's, best interest.

One thing we can/will agree on is that a lot of 18-21 year-old kids do a lot of dumb stuff...that said, when you are in the position(s) that they are as student-athletes and representatives of the program at major Universities, there is more that is expected, and, less allowance generally for such dumb things.

I don't want to put the cart before the horse, but, Pack to Purdue has traction...a lot of it...to the point admittedly now that I would be very surprised if it did not happen.

FWIW, if I were in Vegas I’d bet on Pack to Purdue too.
FWIW, and, it is admittedly little...I saw Phinisee after the game in Mackey...had the chance to tell him that as much as it pained me incredibly as a Purdue fan to watch the game down there this year, and, what he did, I was genuinely happy for him...despite his decision to go there, I always liked him, and, despite the fact that I could not have hated what happened more that night, it was such a special and memorable night for him (and his family), and, I was happy for him in that regard...I told him that I wish EVERY kid could have a moment like that, and, that I was happy for him that he had his.

Reactions: HoosierfanJM
FWIW, and, it is admittedly little...I saw Phinisee after the game in Mackey...had the chance to tell him that as much as it pained me incredibly as a Purdue fan to watch the game down there this year, and, what he did, I was genuinely happy for him...despite his decision to go there, I always liked him, and, despite the fact that I could not have hated what happened more that night, it was such a special and memorable night for him (and his family), and, I was happy for him in that regard...I told him that I wish EVERY kid could have a moment like that, and, that I was happy for him that he had his.
Phinisee is easy to root for and it’s not complicated. Just a squared away young guy.

Reactions: DAG10
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT