ADVERTISEMENT

Huge positives and Huge red flags

Nov 5, 2022
Forget the Smith injury and physical play for a moment, there were some nice positives but also huge red flags from doay's game:

Positives:

1) JOnes - Imagine Purdue w/ him last year. Guy was a menace on both ends today and played well at PG w/ Smith out of the game. He's going to be a huge factor the rest of the way. He also can't be manhandled physically like Loyer and Smith can at times.

2) Better D - Played really good D for the most part today.

3? Colvin - In a game that typically wouldn't be ideal fo him (super physical) he showed up and played well. And played with aggressiveness and physicality I haven't seen much this year.

Red Flags:

1) Style of PLay -- A HUGE problem. All on Painter. Think about this team the 1st month against several top 10 teams. Pushed the tempo, got out in transition, shot 3s, took it to the rim, put a lot of pressure on opposing Ds. And it actually opened up things for Edey when they played outside in. Now Painter has reverted back to half-court, grind-it-out, dump it into Edey and hope for the best. IT's way too conservative and is a recipe for an early tourney exit again. Way too content w/ playing a methodical style which played into MSU's hands.

2) Loyer - Yes, he hit that big 3 late which was huge. But he was a non-factor for 38 minutes. ON both ends. Gotta get more from him.

3) FTs - I chalk it up to the physical play, but obviously have to improve here.

I agree with all this, except 'really good D'. The transition defense is what got and kept MSU in the game.

First score was that three we gave up since we didn't get back. Foreshadowing from the start.

I agree with all this, except 'really good D'. The transition defense is what got and kept MSU in the game.

First score was that three we gave up since we didn't get back. Foreshadowing from the start.
Gotta look at the big picture. MSU shot less than 40 percent from the field and 4-18 from 3. Yes gave up some transition 2s but that will happen in a 40 minute game. Overall D was really good. It was style of play on offense that made it so tight.

Reactions: MetMyWifeAtHarrys
Forget the Smith injury and physical play for a moment, there were some nice positives but also huge red flags from doay's game:

Positives:

1) JOnes - Imagine Purdue w/ him last year. Guy was a menace on both ends today and played well at PG w/ Smith out of the game. He's going to be a huge factor the rest of the way. He also can't be manhandled physically like Loyer and Smith can at times.

3? Colvin - In a game that typically wouldn't be ideal fo him (super physical) he showed up and played well. And played with aggressiveness and physicality I haven't seen much this year.

Red Flags:

1) Style of PLay -- A HUGE problem. All on Painter. Think about this team the 1st month against several top 10 teams. Pushed the tempo, got out in transition, shot 3s, took it to the rim, put a lot of pressure on opposing Ds. And it actually opened up things for Edey when they played outside in. Now Painter has reverted back to half-court, grind-it-out, dump it into Edey and hope for the best. IT's way too conservative and is a recipe for an early tourney exit again. Way too content w/ playing a methodical style which played into MSU's hands.

2) Loyer - Yes, he hit that big 3 late which was huge. But he was a non-factor for 38 minutes. ON both ends. Gotta get more from him.

3) FTs - I chalk it up to the physical play, but obviously have to improve here.
Loyer hit a huge 3 when we needed it. Doesn’t happen last year. He was was absolutely a factor in the game. Just by keeping pressure on the defense by driving to the hole, that’s being a factor. He wasn’t that big of a liability on defense either.

Thought prior to smiths foul, we were getting up and down with quick pace and whipping the ball around. Not worried about this. Plus, we showed we can win this type of game. Won’t be playing up tempo all tournament. You have to be able to adjust to different styles and Purdue has been able to so far all year.

FTs— Zach had a bad stretch there but hit them in the clutch. I’d also attribute that to him being tired. Colvin hasn’t shot many all year, so all good there, TKR he’s been up and down. Lance missed 2, but hit in the clutch when needed.

Very encouraged by Myles today. Man when he met Booker at the rim, NO FEAR. Got some buckets that weren’t 3s…the dunk was awesome.

Heide was good too.

Smith, can we just sit him rest of the weekend? Or just GTFO of Minnesota?

Thought refs really took away from the flow of this game and called a lot of charges (similar to IU PSU) that hadn’t been called all year.

The half-court D, especially in the 1st half, was some of the best we've seen. Even some of the baskets they did get were a little fluky. Yes, they scored in transition a ton but that's really the only way they did.

Positives:

Red Flags:

The only RED FLAG here, is your post! We just beat a team on neutral floor that has a good shot of getting to the sweet 16, and you don't like the tempo played????? To say the least that Michigan St is one old veteran team with one old veteran Hall of Fame coach!

The only RED FLAG here, is your post! We just beat a team on neutral floor that has a good shot of getting to the sweet 16, and you don't like the tempo played????? To say the least that Michigan St is one old veteran team with one old veteran Hall of Fame coach!
💯

The half-court D, especially in the 1st half, was some of the best we've seen. Even some of the baskets they did get were a little fluky. Yes, they scored in transition a ton but that's really the only way they did.
Yep. Sparty's only hope was getting out in transition because our halfcourt D was as stifling as I've seen in years.

Gotta look at the big picture. MSU shot less than 40 percent from the field and 4-18 from 3. Yes gave up some transition 2s but that will happen in a 40 minute game. Overall D was really good. It was style of play on offense that made it so tight.
That wasn't D. They had plenty of open shots. That's Izzo recruiting athletic future armed felons over actual fundamental basketball talent.

• Haha
Reactions: boilerzz
It was crazy how many courtney green and crew have called in last two games….more than the whole conference season combined it seems
Some foul calls and lack of calls were absolutely insane. I do think the awful calls went both ways. I have always said, I can accept bad calls, as long as they are consistent. But after watching how this game was called, I want to know why they can't be consistent -- and good.

Tastes awful too.

Not sure how to rate it over some duration, but was generally focused. I think the team has increased their D knowing that will be crucial in the next few games

Some foul calls and lack of calls were absolutely insane. I do think the awful calls went both ways. I have always said, I can accept bad calls, as long as they are consistent. But after watching how this game was called, I want to know why they can't be consistent -- and good.
Green did the last game last night and then did this one…why is that allowed? We are now 4-26 against the spread with green as ref

Loyer hit a huge 3 when we needed it. Doesn’t happen last year. He was was absolutely a factor in the game. Just by keeping pressure on the defense by driving to the hole, that’s being a factor. He wasn’t that big of a liability on defense either.

Thought prior to smiths foul, we were getting up and down with quick pace and whipping the ball around. Not worried about this. Plus, we showed we can win this type of game. Won’t be playing up tempo all tournament. You have to be able to adjust to different styles and Purdue has been able to so far all year.

FTs— Zach had a bad stretch there but hit them in the clutch. I’d also attribute that to him being tired. Colvin hasn’t shot many all year, so all good there, TKR he’s been up and down. Lance missed 2, but hit in the clutch when needed.

Very encouraged by Myles today. Man when he met Booker at the rim, NO FEAR. Got some buckets that weren’t 3s…the dunk was awesome.

Heide was good too.

Smith, can we just sit him rest of the weekend? Or just GTFO of Minnesota?

Thought refs really took away from the flow of this game and called a lot of charges (similar to IU PSU) that hadn’t been called all year.
I thought Loyer passed up a couple of good open threes for some dubious drives. He needs to shoot more.

Yep. Sparty's only hope was getting out in transition because our halfcourt D was as stifling as I've seen in years.
This MSU team outside of Walker and Hall and every now and then Akins struggle in the half and really need the push to score as you stated

I think the OP raised some good points. I thought we looked slow, especially to the ball.

That being said, MSU likes to grind it out against us and we can never pull away.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Green did the last game last night and then did this one…why is that allowed? We are now 4-26 against the spread with green as ref
PURDUE is a finesse team day in and day out...Green rarely blows the whistle and so he has a lean to athletic play and physical play makes it tougher on a finesse team than a quicker whistle. They had quick whistles on some touch things and let some physical go...as alway

Reactions: Do Dah Day
I think the OP raised some good points. I thought we looked slow, especially to the ball.

That being said, MSU likes to grind it out against us and we can never pull away.
I saw the same thing. Too much standing around waiting for loose balls and rebounds to come to them while MSU was hustling to get them.

Reactions: tjreese

Positives:

Red Flags:

I think you are over reacting on the red flags. Painter takes what the defense gives him on offense and that happened to be Edey one on one for most of the game. On top of that they were running our shooters off the three point line. So in summary, the defense was giving us layups for Zach and no threes for the shooters thus we played feed Zach all game.

Also, we didn’t want to run with MSU. That is their strength and it would be stupid to play to that when we have the player of the year on our team.

Tough win but it appeared Painter was playing it loose with sharing minutes. Probably wasn’t too concerned with a loss.

I think you are over reacting on the red flags. Painter takes what the defense gives him on offense and that happened to be Edey one on one for most of the game. On top of that they were running our shooters off the three point line. So in summary, the defense was giving us layups for Zach and no threes for the shooters thus we played feed Zach all game.
I think that’s a good point. I just would love to see the Boilers play a little faster even if it means some quick shots. I think they can get some open and better looks more when pushing the ball than in transition due to some challenges Smith and Loyer have at times against longer athletic guards.

Positives:

Red Flags:

Your point on the offense is spot on. I think we again had 0 fast break points today.

Early in the year commentators pointed out how we were playing faster and more up tempo and you are spot on with lately we are back to slow and pound it inside.

Maybe that is the exact thing I have been noticing about us playing more like last year but wasnt able to pin point it exactly.

This is concerning moving forward and explains why so many of our recent games against what would be double digit seed teams are coming down to the wire

• Haha
Reactions: boilerzz
He’s an idiot and is now on ignore. I suggest everyone else do the same.
At least he had a take and opinion. Which is more than you offered! It takes balls to offer an opinion. It takes nothing to cut someone down and call them names instead of discussing the points he made. That’s what politicians do. They resort to name calling rather than facts.

Last edited:
How does this happen? They are hated rivals.
;)
Ha! Both fanbases seem amazingly cordial with each other and other fanbases. I’ve been to Purdue v Iowa football and bball games and the fans have always been respectful and complimentary. Both fan bases seem rather intelligent and have good perspectives. No hostility. Except when it come to IU for Purdue fans and for some reason Nebraska for Iowa fans.
I understand the IU disgust. I share it for many reasons lol

Your point on the offense is spot on. I think we again had 0 fast break points today.

Early in the year commentators pointed out how we were playing faster and more up tempo and you are spot on with lately we are back to slow and pound it inside.

Maybe that is the exact thing I have been noticing about us playing more like last year but wasnt able to pin point it exactly.

This is concerning moving forward and explains why so many of our recent games against what would be double digit seed teams are coming down to the wire
Except it's just not true. Purdue's last 6 games last year were all played at a pace of 65 possessions or lower with an average of 63.2. Purdue's last 6 games this year have all been played at 65 possessions or higher with an average of 66.8.

For those that follow advanced metrics, those differences are significant. For example, this season, 63.2 possessions would be 350th nationally. 66.8 possessions would be 221st.

On the season, we are at 67.5 possessions so we've slowed down a little but that has a lot to do with opponents. 3 of our last 5 games have been against MSU x 2 and Wisky. MSU is 304th in pace and Wisky is 307th.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
How does this happen? They are hated rivals.
;)

MOST HATED Rivals to be precise.....

omhr1984.0.jpg

• Haha
Ha! Both fanbases seem amazingly cordial with each other and other fanbases. I’ve been to Purdue v Iowa football and bball games and the fans have always been respectful and complimentary. Both fan bases seem rather intelligent and have good perspectives. No hostility. Except when it come to IU for Purdue fans and for some reason Nebraska for Iowa fans.
I understand the IU disgust. I share it for many reasons lol
Yeah, I don't recall how it started that we jokingly refer to Iowa as Our Most Hated Rival, or OMHR. It causes visiting Iowa fans to scratch their heads and lurking Indinia fans to have conniptions.

Reactions: IowaMuse
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT