ADVERTISEMENT

Just watched the game and came away encouraged

I went to YouTube and found the NFL game from 1980 that I remembered. NBC had no both announcers but allowed the audio from the Press Box announcer. I’m not sure why that didn’t catch on.

Was that Jets/Dolphins? Vaguely remember that, Doc....

Reactions: DrEss
Because the kids are gone and we don't have nearly as much going on, I have officially converted my wife over to a Purdue fan. Fist she did not like Smith, her opinion has now changed. Now she is on Fletch and yes, watching the game for a second time really helps. Not sure how long she is going to watch each game twice, but I am loving it.
Even during a live game Kim will have her phone going sometimes with some distraction (when needed). She doesn't handle Purdue stress well. Under some occasions I'm sure I've provided opportunity to be more resilient through experiences. ;) During the Rutgers game she asked if she needed to leave the room (not that she was being loud, but if it was getting to a point to be very worried) which she does when she gets nervous and then returns when things are going good. Still, watching a game again allows you to go back and forth on areas of interest without the emotion of a live game. Many would find that boring and just enjoy watching it live and the final score is all that is needed.

Once I saw Braden a couple of times in high school I told her I wanted her to see him and to see how good he was. I've never had her go to games that may have no particular reason for her, but wanted her to see Braden since her brother played high school with Braden's father. She dislikes NO Purdue player, but really likes Rapheal Davis and calls Mason her man and says Lance is a "baller". ;) I've never used the word baller and so she is more in tune with the language today. ;) I wish she were more interested in particulars of "why" or "what" may be happening, but she is a diehard Purdue fan. Glad your wife is taking an interest!

but I suppose you still like lots of replays? No question to each his own. If everybody liked the same things it would get pretty boring
If you love replays so much TJ, you know you can just back your tv up and watch every play again if you want. I keep reading guys say they thought there should be more replays. I don't know how you watch the games, but virtually every option allows you to pause live TV and rewind to watch whatever you want as many times as you want. It's not hard.

Reactions: tjreese
Exposure, exposure exposure. It's all we heard about 25 years ago when Duke was getting on ESPN all the time and Vitale was slobbering all over them. Remember those days?? That is what we are trying for.

Being highly ranked - check
Getting on National TV as much as possible - Getting there
Win a championship - Hopefully this year

It's how you become a "national" brand and not just a B1G, or mid-west brand. We have a ways to go, but I think CMP is getting us there. Edey, of course,has brought a ton of attention which is great. We just need to get over the hump and win it all and then stay relevant.

So, yes, we will be on a broadcast where the announcers don't know every nuance of our team. That is ok, you just keep getting as much exposure as possible. Eventually we will get where some of the current big boys are now.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Even during a live game Kim will have her phone going sometimes with some distraction (when needed). She doesn't handle Purdue stress well. Under some occasions I'm sure I've provided opportunity to be more resilient through experiences. ;) During the Rutgers game she asked if she needed to leave the room (not that she was being loud, but if it was getting to a point to be very worried) which she does when she gets nervous and then returns when things are going good. Still, watching a game again allows you to go back and forth on areas of interest without the emotion of a live game. Many would find that boring and just enjoy watching it live and the final score is all that is needed.

Once I saw Braden a couple of times in high school I told her I wanted her to see him and to see how good he was. I've never had her go to games that may have no particular reason for her, but wanted her to see Braden since her brother played high school with Braden's father. She dislikes NO Purdue player, but really likes Rapheal Davis and calls Mason her man and says Lance is a "baller". ;) I've never used the word baller and so she is more in tune with the language today. ;) I wish she were more interested in particulars of "why" or "what" may be happening, but she is a diehard Purdue fan. Glad your wife is taking an interest!
She went to Kansas and for the most part, waited until tourney to start getting interested. She does not dislike any of the players but is very competitive and she very much gets worked up during the games. She is just getting the full season experience of what it's like being a full time Purdue fan. I am fine with it all because it gives me an opportunity to talk about Purdue basketball.

• Love
Reactions: tjreese
If you love replays so much TJ, you know you can just back your tv up and watch every play again if you want. I keep reading guys say they thought there should be more replays. I don't know how you watch the games, but virtually every option allows you to pause live TV and rewind to watch whatever you want as many times as you want. It's not hard.
I do that. I record all the games, but many times it is hard to see without a replay where it is magnified and usually different angles.

There are a lot of people that just read and I have no idea if they are extreme or not, but they are probably the majority. There exists takes from time to time that are hard to explain, but all forums have that. I don't think this forum is bad at all. I enjoy it and post a lot since I think it generally has some good insight. I also don't think Matt is above criticism, but some of the criticism lacks support and are leaps in faith of what some think would happen if...

Purdue has a much greater chance of losing in the tourney than winning it as does any team against the field. If and when that happens you will see the usual leaps in faith that had Matt did something different, the opposite result would happen and that is stupid. None of us know inside a game what each player may be expected to do or how to play D. We don't know who screws up the timing of sets should that happen. We also get myopic and focused on what we think we see relative to a player that may be incorrect and lastly we look at individual stats as a measure of who should play inside the team and how long, but there are soooooooooo many things not measured by stats that are important and the +/- has it's many errors as well. Bottom line...people consider their view the correct one whether it stands up to scrutiny or not and then feelings get hurt and personal attacks elevate. This is to be expected due to human nature, but it still is what happens in ALL forums...this being no different
I mean there's nothing unfair about questioning choices after a loss anymore than praising them after a win. That's what being in charge is all about.

You make choices and those choices have an impact. Otherwise it's just arguing everything is just random. Certainly some things are out of a coaches control. He can't make shots or passes but he can insert players or change defenses or strategies.

Painter is a very good coach. You can believe that and also believe he made a mistake. I would say if you have a top team three years in a row and don't at least get past the Sweet 16 one of those times, it's going to be fair that people question you about it. I'd expect him to take this team at least to the Elite Eight. After that, it's the eight best teams and stuff happens. But another first weekend loss will raise valid and fair questions.

Just like a final four appearance will raise valid praise.

Reactions: Dryfly88
I mean there's nothing unfair about questioning choices after a loss anymore than praising them after a win. That's what being in charge is all about.

You make choices and those choices have an impact. Otherwise it's just arguing everything is just random. Certainly some things are out of a coaches control. He can't make shots or passes but he can insert players or change defenses or strategies.

Painter is a very good coach. You can believe that and also believe he made a mistake. I would say if you have a top team three years in a row and don't at least get past the Sweet 16 one of those times, it's going to be fair that people question you about it. I'd expect him to take this team at least to the Elite Eight. After that, it's the eight best teams and stuff happens. But another first weekend loss will raise valid and fair questions.

Just like a final four appearance will raise valid praise.
I don't have any problem with people questioning things. I do however think more merit is made with substance is supporting their position. I do agree with Matt that trying to believe the last three years were the same problem is off base. Most remember last year and somewhere I broke down some video on North Texas in the forum then and a few remember Jaden in the ST Peters game. It is almost like saying an orange, apple and walnut are the same since they all come from a tree.

The reality is had Robbie not got hurt and added to that Haas injury or Ryan not missed a FT the topics might not have been discussed much. Questioning is fine, but listing the advantage and disadvantage of such really helps IMO...and NONE of this is referenced to anyone...just a rule of thumb

I don't have any problem with people questioning things. I do however think more merit is made with substance is supporting their position. I do agree with Matt that trying to believe the last three years were the same problem is off base. Most remember last year and somewhere I broke down some video on North Texas in the forum then and a few remember Jaden in the ST Peters game. It is almost like saying an orange, apple and walnut are the same since they all come from a tree.

The reality is had Robbie not got hurt and added to that Haas injury or Ryan not missed a FT the topics might not have been discussed much. Questioning is fine, but listing the advantage and disadvantage of such really helps IMO...and NONE of this is referenced to anyone...just a rule of thumb
Well there's a pattern imo but saying it's the same problem is a little simplistic although Matt begged the question a bit by listing a problem and then knocking it down when I don't think anyone reasonably thought that was the problem.

At any rate, the other thing he says is he's the common denominator, which is also true.

Ultimately, he answers the question by advancing in the tournament and generates questions by not.

Well there's a pattern imo but saying it's the same problem is a little simplistic although Matt begged the question a bit by listing a problem and then knocking it down when I don't think anyone reasonably thought that was the problem.

At any rate, the other thing he says is he's the common denominator, which is also true.

Ultimately, he answers the question by advancing in the tournament and generates questions by not.
FWIW. I try to respect other's right to express opinions and have no problem being called out to support what I type or believe. I think I have a history of that as do others. The common denominator can be taken different ways, but even if a literal interpretation is taken that doesn't suggest that a main variable has the same significance as an interaction of other variables. Still, whatever the reasons or if never a reason is listed he will ultimately be viewed for the team on the court...and for some, off the court as well. Judgement will come from Purdue people, non Purdue people, previous players and coaches and Purdue administration...as well as his reflection on himself.

There are many...very many people that judge him, and the teams he had and has, based upon the tourney results only. I'm not one of them. I'm a unicorn that doesn't place the same value on the tourney as most , and I understand that. That doesn't mean I don't care, because I want those kids and coaches to reach their goals.

FWIW. I try to respect other's right to express opinions and have no problem being called out to support what I type or believe. I think I have a history of that as do others. The common denominator can be taken different ways, but even if a literal interpretation is taken that doesn't suggest that a main variable has the same significance as an interaction of other variables. Still, whatever the reasons or if never a reason is listed he will ultimately be viewed for the team on the court...and for some, off the court as well. Judgement will come from Purdue people, non Purdue people, previous players and coaches and Purdue administration...as well as his reflection on himself.

There are many...very many people that judge him, and the teams he had and has, based upon the tourney results only. I'm not one of them. I'm a unicorn that doesn't place the same value on the tourney as most , and I understand that. That doesn't mean I don't care, because I want those kids and coaches to reach their goals.
I mean there aren't many sports that value regular season over the "post season."

I mean there aren't many sports that value regular season over the "post season."
I fully understand that. Basketball is such a long season in comparison to the tourney. I get it though and why I said I was the unicorn. I don't like the 30 sec shot clock and many probably do. I have my reasons for not liking it due to the reduction in variation between teams and players. So what I like, I understand is different than others. Do Dah Day mentioned somewhere that Purdue has a lot of Indiana players and I believe that if Purdue could LOCK DOWN Indiana players it would have enough talent to compete at the highest level...and that view as well is somewhat a unicorn view.

It isn't that I don't understand why people place such a high value on the tourney, it is just that it isn't as high for me and is one data point among other data points. IU can't compete with Purdue in head to head or inside the same conference for all time ( a historical perspective, but the media tells you different) , but they let you know they have banners (of course not with any background). ;)

Reactions: BoilerAndy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT