ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Cox is better!

I doubt Brandon has much to do with Catchings. He is going to have a bit more freedom and be out on the perimeter I expect. He has the talent to be REALLY good! Being THAT good is up to him though.

Interesting. Sure CMP will be involved, but I thought Brantley was our Big man coach for all the 4s & 5s. Wouldn't know why he would coach some 4/5s and not others.....or be restricted to just the 5s? Doesn't seem correct unless you are saying 6-9" Catchings will be a 3......

Last edited:
Interesting. Sure CMP will be involved, but I thought Brantley was our Big man coach for all the 4s & 5s. Wouldn't know why he would coach some 4/5s and not others.....or be restricted to just the 5s? Doesn't seem correct unless you are saying Catchings will be a 3......
I've seen Catchings play a few times at Brownsburg. I would have a hard time believing he's a 4. He's a freakishly athletic 3 that should be playing around the perimeter.

I've seen Catchings play a few times at Brownsburg. I would have a hard time believing he's a 4. He's a freakishly athletic 3 that should be playing around the perimeter.
I am not opposed to him playing the 3, but that freakish athleticism can also be put to use at the 4, where he’ll be able to exploit his quickness advantage.

You may be correct. But it should be noted Hummel & VE were 4s that played everywhere around the perimeter. Moreover, with the 3 guards coming in combined with Smith & Loyer, not to mention Colvin & Heide..... I think we stay a 3 guard offense. That and his reported now near 6-9" size, I think Catchings is at the 4.

Last edited:
You may be correct. But it should be noted Hummel & VE were 4s that played everywhere around the perimeter. Moreover, with the 3 guards coming in combined with Smith & Loyer, not to mention Colvin & Heide..... I think we stay a 3 guard offense. That and his reported now near 6-9" size, I think Catchings is at the 4.
I think it depends on how he develops physically. He was very skinny the last time I saw him play. Hummel was listed at 6'8 200. I can't figure out where Catchings is as 247 and Rivals both have different sizes for him. He's 6'9 209 on OT Elite. I would agree he's a stretch 4 at 6'9 209.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
I think it depends on how he develops physically. He was very skinny the last time I saw him play. Hummel was listed at 6'8 200. I can't figure out where Catchings is as 247 and Rivals both have different sizes for him. He's 6'9 209 on OT Elite. I would agree he's a stretch 4 at 6'9 209.

One thing OTE has helped him do is get his body ready for college more than HS would. He has put on some really good weight while there

Kanon’s biggest issue going into this year was muscle/frame and needing to fill out. He certainly looks like he has bulked up. I would venture that it is harder to do in high school than at a basketball academy (or whatever you want to call it).

If it is true that he will join the team in April, that is awesome. Giving him more time to acclimate to college life and his teammates is a big positive.

He is 6'9 and still growing. He is a 4 there can be no doubt. He's a walking mismatch at the 4 especially when switching on to smaller players. He like Daniel doesn't look physical it would be safe to say Kanon is the best rebounder in this class.

Interesting. Sure CMP will be involved, but I thought Brantley was our Big man coach for all the 4s & 5s. Wouldn't know why he would coach some 4/5s and not others.....or be restricted to just the 5s? Doesn't seem correct unless you are saying 6-9" Catchings will be a 3......
He's a roaming everywhere wing 4 all day, every day. An aberration that no team will know how to defend. Long live the motion offense

GGWGfisXQAAW47U

Berg at the 5, TKR at the 4, Furst at the 3, Burgess at 2 and Jacobsen at the 1. Painters master plan of starting the tallest lineup ever is now complete.

Everyone else will fill in off the bench in limited minutes 😂

Quintuple towers, haha!

I had a flashback to an older NBA game from the early 80's we entertainingly watched from the dorm..... Seattle and Houston......there was a stretch where the Sonics had on the floor Jack Sikma, James Donaldson, and Lonnie Shelton against the Rockets' Elvin Hayes, Moses Malone, and Billy Paultz (aka The Whopper).....it was close to comical with that war in the paint and going after boards.

Even Choice would agree.....that was a lot of beef.

Last edited:
Did Brantley work exclusively with Hummel and Edwards? I hadn't heard that.

• Haha
Reactions: Boiler Buck
Maybe Burgess and /or Jacobson will force their way into starting at the 4! And forcing Catchings to play the 3. And neither Harris or Myles or Cox find their way into the starting lineup! I’ve heard both Burgess and Jacobson are awesome.

Boy would that be something if the players Who are receiving the least amount of speculation. End up being the best players!

Reactions: oldboiler52
I suspect Purdue plays a bit more motion and fewer sets next year, but that is a guess. If it does and under different scenarios as well as who is having a strong game I wouldn’t be opposed to seeing him at any place other than the one. He can be that versatile and the 5 would only be if 5 out.

He just really impressed me when I saw him play Kokomo and Flory. Just depends if he is as mentally tough as Big Dog was and brings it every game

I suspect Purdue plays a bit more motion and fewer sets next year, but that is a guess. If it does and under different scenarios as well as who is having a strong game I wouldn’t be opposed to seeing him at any place other than the one. He can be that versatile and the 5 would only be if 5 out.

He just really impressed me when I saw him play Kokomo and Flory
Agree. I think next year without Edey, we play some more positionless basketball. Obviously Smith will run the point, but even that may vary some and give Smith a chance to look to score even more than this year. Faster and fewer sets, should be fun to watch how it develops.

Maybe Burgess and /or Jacobson will force their way into starting at the 4! And forcing Catchings to play the 3. And neither Harris or Myles or Cox find their way into the starting lineup! I’ve heard both Burgess and Jacobson are awesome.

Boy would that be something if the players Who are receiving the least amount of speculation. End up being the best players!

Any frosh though their play earns a starting spot on an experienced team likely is a great one. It only makes the team better, so I love it when a frosh is so good they have to start.

Reactions: DrEss and tjreese
Agree. I think next year without Edey, we play some more positionless basketball. Obviously Smith will run the point, but even that may vary some and give Smith a chance to look to score even more than this year. Faster and fewer sets, should be fun to watch how it develops.
I see that more of a lean, but at the same time they will find Trey, but less than they have found some recent 5s I think. Then who is to say that a faster pace and a senior year doesn't find Caleb with many more minutes and effective play. Still, how they play will be on the players. Where does Berg fit in?

What we know is that they will not be as good as this team (at least not early) and could drop some games early. However, it will be fun learning about new players and how they play.

We need some of the frosh to be ready on day one. For all the talk of depth and youth, we lose 2 starters and our sixth man next year.

We could have a rotation of TKR, Furst, Berg, Smith, Loyer, Colvin and Heide. I think we'd be decent but not great. I really think we'd need a Jones type impact from one or two freshmen to make us a top 15 team.

We need some of the frosh to be ready on day one. For all the talk of depth and youth, we lose 2 starters and our sixth man next year.

We could have a rotation of TKR, Furst, Berg, Smith, Loyer, Colvin and Heide. I think we'd be decent but not great. I really think we'd need a Jones type impact from one or two freshmen to make us a top 15 team.
Unless Fletch makes a big jump I don't see him handling the ball outside of a couple of dribbles. That group would need some freshman help IMO. Now, here is what nobody has typed due to little to no minutes and that is Brian Waddell. Does he improve his perimeter shot and get stronger? If the team has a bit less low post play and a bit more quickness overall and spacing in the court we could find that a player that handles the ball and can create for others finding a role as well. So Brian and Caleb next year are questions as well. Both will get minutes, but how the team "shapes" will be an interesting watch

Reactions: Schnelk
Unless Fletch makes a big jump I don't see him handling the ball outside of a couple of dribbles. That group would need some freshman help IMO. Now, here is what nobody has typed due to little to no minutes and that is Brian Waddell. Does he improve his perimeter shot and get stronger? If the team has a bit less low post play and a bit more quickness overall and spacing in the court we could find that a player that handles the ball and can create for others finding a role as well. So Brian and Caleb next year are questions as well. Both will get minutes, but how the team "shapes" will be an interesting watch
Agree. Projecting next year's rotation is such a crapshoot. Smith is probably the only guy I see as a lock to start next year. A couple of others will have an inside track (TKR, Loyer) but who knows with all the guys we have coming in and the transfer portal. We have 14 guys who are scheduled to be on scholarship, and something has to give.

Just like every other Painter team we'll end up with 7 or 8 guys getting meaningful minutes, that means 6 of those 14 guys won't, at least not at Purdue. It's kind of an inconvenient truth when folks start making spectacular claims about guys who haven't made significant contributions at the college level yet.

Agree. Projecting next year's rotation is such a crapshoot. Smith is probably the only guy I see as a lock to start next year. A couple of others will have an inside track (TKR, Loyer) but who knows with all the guys we have coming in and the transfer portal. We have 14 guys who are scheduled to be on scholarship, and something has to give.

Just like every other Painter team we'll end up with 7 or 8 guys getting meaningful minutes, that means 6 of those 14 guys won't, at least not at Purdue. It's kind of an inconvenient truth when folks start making spectacular claims about guys who haven't made significant contributions at the college level yet.
Very few high school or college teams play more than 8. I expect at least one to redshirt...maybe two? What I asked a while back and nobody responded because nobody may know was whether NIL to two non scholly players were possible as preferred walk-ons as a title?

Reactions: SCBoiler1
Very few high school or college teams play more than 8. I expect at least one to redshirt...maybe two? What I asked a while back and nobody responded because nobody may know was whether NIL to two non scholly players were possible as preferred walk-ons as a title?
I have to think Painter has a plan or at least a couple of ideas in mind already on how he's going to manage the roster, unfortunately, I doubt he knows exactly what's going on in some of these guys' head and so things could always change.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
No way that happens, kids were offered scholarships, someone would leave if that happened. All teams lose players, my guess is Purdue loses 2, who that will be is open to speculation.

No way that happens, kids were offered scholarships, someone would leave if that happened. All teams lose players, my guess is Purdue loses 2, who that will be is open to speculation.
I certainly don't know. I think speculation could come up with a few suspects, but nothing clear. I wish someone was informed enough to understand if NIL can be used for "walk-ons" should that be an avenue...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT