Redshirt Freshman
Mar 17, 2022
Right now, if I were the coach I would project starting:

1: Amiyah R, Poole
2: Jones, Monson
3: Swanson, McKenna, Monson
4: Stevenson, McKenna
5: Puryear, McCarthy, Stevenson

That is a 9 player rotation if everyone is ready to play. Any one player not being ready is not really an issue. Any portal players we get move one of the underclassmen out of the rotation and probably into the portal next year. IF we lose any of the above players to the portal this year, then yes, we probably need to look really hard at getting someone that can play. Honestly I am far more concerned about the 1 then the 5. Poole and Amiyah are talented, but point is a big jump from high school to college ball. I would think we need a veteran point far more than a wing scorer for next season if we are going to go portal shopping.

Reactions: tomgloe
Right now, if I were the coach I would project starting:

1: Amiyah R, Poole
2: Jones, Monson
3: Swanson, McKenna, Monson
4: Stevenson, McKenna
5: Puryear, McCarthy, Stevenson

That is a 9 player rotation if everyone is ready to play. Any one player not being ready is not really an issue. Any portal players we get move one of the underclassmen out of the rotation and probably into the portal next year. IF we lose any of the above players to the portal this year, then yes, we probably need to look really hard at getting someone that can play. Honestly I am far more concerned about the 1 then the 5. Poole and Amiyah are talented, but point is a big jump from high school to college ball. I would think we need a veteran point far more than a wing scorer for next season if we are going to go portal shopping.
Good lineup, maybe Poole if they go 3 guard?

Good lineup, maybe Poole if they go 3 guard?
IF she can stroke the three at a good percentage, and IF she is capable and willing to let others drive the ball while she is a kick out option at sf, then I'd be okay with that, but that is more IFs than I'm conformtable with at this time.

I like the dark horse guesses. More than likely Im wrong.

My thoughts are two in the portal (everyone is using it now) for some veteran presence since the upper classmen will be Reynolds/Harper/smith. I think we could lose one or two but not a key contributer.

1. A Reynolds, Poole, Jones
2. Jones/portal, Poole, Monson
3. Swanson, Poole, Smith, Monson
4. Stevenson, McKenna, M Reynolds
5. Portal, Lana, Puryer, M Reynolds, Alaina

M Reynolds, Alaina, Monson and Smith are all deep on the bench.

I will be interested to see what it'll be like when teams have to defend all five players instead of sagging off Terry.

Reactions: tomgloe

My thoughts are two in the portal (everyone is using it now) for some veteran presence since the upper classmen will be Reynolds/Harper/smith. I think we could lose one or two but not a key contributer.

I will be interested to see what it'll be like when teams have to defend all five players instead of sagging off Terry.
Hoping Reynolds can shoot ( hearing she can) Purdue’s offense with Terry pounding the ball most of the shot clock drove me absolutely crazy. Looking forward to a more athletic team, move that ball around quicker, push the pace, this is 2024, Purdue’s offense was so boring an outdated, maybe it was because of the roster, we’ll see.

Reactions: Gesysp and Larry77
Hoping Reynolds can shoot ( hearing she can) Purdue’s offense with Terry pounding the ball most of the shot clock drove me absolutely crazy. Looking forward to a more athletic team, move that ball around quicker, push the pace, this is 2024, Purdue’s offense was so boring an outdated, maybe it was because of the roster, we’ll see.
Before Michael jumps in and declares it the CSV offense 2.0, I noticed a bigger effort to get posts open inside this year. It drove me nuts the last couple years the guards would not get the ball inside or made bad passes that resulted in turnovers.

We went and watched the Reynolds a few times in South Bend. Amiya can pass and score. I noticed from the last three years Terrys defender sagged off and helped on Ellis/Stevenson/Petree/etc. It should open up more options for everyone else.

Before Michael jumps in and declares it the CSV offense 2.0, I noticed a bigger effort to get posts open inside this year. It drove me nuts the last couple years the guards would not get the ball inside or made bad passes that resulted in turnovers.

We went and watched the Reynolds a few times in South Bend. Amiya can pass and score. I noticed from the last three years Terrys defender sagged off and helped on Ellis/Stevenson/Petree/etc. It should open up more options for everyone else.
Well, it is CSV offense 2.0, meaning it's been tweaked slightly. Having 2 quality posts necessitated this year's tweaked offense. But 70-90% of all the half court offense we run is still the Benton Central high school offense. Dave's pounding the ball aneurysm issue is the play betting called to burn clock and KG still believes despite three years of contrary evidence it gets is better shots. If the offense is not overhauled this off season he will be stroking out watching Poole and Amaiyah running the same plays.

Reactions: BoilerRingside

Agreed, I saw the same thing. Won’t miss Terry one bit running the point.

Reactions: Gesysp and Larry77
Well, it is CSV offense 2.0, meaning it's been tweaked slightly. Having 2 quality posts necessitated this year's tweaked offense. But 70-90% of all the half court offense we run is still the Benton Central high school offense. Dave's pounding the ball aneurysm issue is the play betting called to burn clock and KG still believes despite three years of contrary evidence it gets is better shots. If the offense is not overhauled this off season he will be stroking out watching Poole and Amaiyah running the same plays.
Won’t stroke out, I won’t watch, this season tested me, it was brutal. Thank goodness a real offense with a good PG lives at Purdue with the men, that was fun to watch. I enjoy watching some women’s hoops, Purdue not at all.

I think you're spot on with this lineup. I don't think Mike Carmin would say purdue is going to be active in the portal without CKG or a staff member giving him inside info. Carmin mentioned a downhill scorer at the wing position, I would agree but also think we need another shooter(maybe you can find both in one player). Swanson seems to be the only reliable shooter from outside going into next season. (Here's to hoping Amiyah, Spider, Poole, and McKenna can be somewhat reliable from range).

I think you're spot on with this lineup. I don't think Mike Carmin would say purdue is going to be active in the portal without CKG or a staff member giving him inside info. Carmin mentioned a downhill scorer at the wing position, I would agree but also think we need another shooter(maybe you can find both in one player). Swanson seems to be the only reliable shooter from outside going into next season. (Here's to hoping Amiyah, Spider, Poole, and McKenna can be somewhat reliable from range).
With Jones, Poole, and Amaiyah all being down hill scorers, that seems to NOT be a need unless KG feels one of those three isn't capable of playing at this level. Smith when she does score is also only a downhill scorer.

As to Carmin's credibility, he was still talking a possible NCAA bid as recently as a couple of weeks ago. I wouldn't take what he posts as inside info at all, just stuff to fill his column as a huge homer.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
With Jones, Poole, and Amaiyah all being down hill scorers, that seems to NOT be a need unless KG feels one of those three isn't capable of playing at this level. Smith when she does score is also only a downhill scorer.

As to Carmin's credibility, he was silk talking a possible NCAA bid as recently as a couple of weeks ago. I wouldn't take what he posts as insure info at all, just stuff to fill his column as a huge honer.
Good point on the downhill scorers, guess I just wanted to give him some credit. He might of meant someone else that can create their own shot consistently.

I think he's been honest about the team's weakness and I enjoy his coverage. I will admit he was a little redundant the last few weeks when it came with what purdue needed to do to avoid the first night of the BTT, but I get keeping people informed.

Personally, I preferred that we played the first night. It gave us another win, and a second game for our younger players.

Reactions: BoilerRingside
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT