ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Cox is better!

I certainly don't know. I think speculation could come up with a few suspects, but nothing clear. I wish someone was informed enough to understand if NIL can be used for "walk-ons" should that be an avenue...
I believe it can, don’t see why not. I’m not an expert on that though.

So back to Cox, it reminded me of a story. When Kobe was in high school he was being recruited by Jim Calhoun at UCONN. I guess he pushed on Kobe and was told that he was going to the NBA and not college. While he was out watching Kobe play he noticed another hard nosed guard that he liked so he offered him. That kid was Richard Hamilton.

Some how my Twitter feed is filled with a bunch of UCONN stuff now that we had a beef with their fans after our loss to OSU and their beat down by Creighton.

You can watch Catching's Thursday night game on YouTube. After the 21 point game (3-6 from 3) he went for 16 and 10 on Friday. I'm really impressed with his shot. He shoots his threes like a guard (side-step/step-back threes not just toes on the line). Body wise he reminds me of Wheeler. Looks to have good handles and seems willing to share the ball. I think his natural position would be the three but could see him at the 4. There are a lot of D-1 athletes in the OTE and the game is somewhat Helter Skelter but Catching's seemed calm in the midst of chaos.

IMO, I think he's a day one starter. We don't have anyone on our roster that can do the things he does. I'd compare him favorably to maybe Vince Edwards???

One last thought on Catchings before I let this thread go ........

Catchings is the leading scorer on a team that has the following recruits:
Brown #16, 2025 Miss St
Catchings #32, 2024 Purdue
Bol, #37 2024 Ole Miss
Parker, #128 2024 NC State
Oumiddoch, #36 2026 undecided
Plus a couple of nice international players

In the last 2 playoffs game where he's scored 21 and 16 the other team has:
Ian Jackson, #8 2024 North Carolina
Moore, #53 2024 Syracuse
Solomon Ominu, 2024 Washington State
Warren #123 2024 Mississippi St

He may have had a bad game or even 2 when Oldboiler saw him but his overall play this year has lived up to the hype.

Brown #16, 2025 Miss St
Bol, #37 2024 Ole Miss

Moore, #53 2024 Syracuse

He may have had a bad game or even 2 when Oldboiler saw him but his overall play this year has lived up to the hype.
So….not broken?

• Sad
Reactions: Boiler Buck

Brown #16, 2025 Miss St
Bol, #37 2024 Ole Miss

Moore, #53 2024 Syracuse

For me it's not about results. The kid can do anything he decides to do. I took a shot at my favorite recruit in this class because he lacked effort. He scored 2-6-6 in the three previous games. I have watched or stomached thru all but two of his games. I didn't even know I was taking a shot at him my intent was to say OTE should just go away. Some people think OTE has classrooms with instructors wrong. They recommend online classes they have no campus. Kids fly in for normally 2 games per week. There is little to no comradery no team chemistry. What there is money nothing more. Kanon is fortunate as his family has access to everything the WNBA has to offer. A seventeen-year-old subject to this circus is just wrong IMO. You can take it to the bank Kanon Catching's is better than OTE he just is. I get it every player out there has an agent who demands playing time for his client. Sorry I will get down from my soap box now.

I see that more of a lean, but at the same time they will find Trey, but less than they have found some recent 5s I think. Then who is to say that a faster pace and a senior year doesn't find Caleb with many more minutes and effective play. Still, how they play will be on the players. Where does Berg fit in?

What we know is that they will not be as good as this team (at least not early) and could drop some games early. However, it will be fun learning about new players and how they play.
I hope Berg can be the rim protector and really big guy defender that Furst/TKR aren't at 6'9". Backup center and rotation player hopefully by tourney time. Got a ways to go defensively but shows some aptitude for sure.
Should be very interesting to see how it plays out.
Lots of interesting pieces.
Lots of spotlight with Zach gone.

For me it's not about results. The kid can do anything he decides to do. I took a shot at my favorite recruit in this class because he lacked effort. He scored 2-6-6 in the three previous games. I have watched or stomached thru all but two of his games. I didn't even know I was taking a shot at him my intent was to say OTE should just go away. Some people think OTE has classrooms with instructors wrong. They recommend online classes they have no campus. Kids fly in for normally 2 games per week. There is little to no comradery no team chemistry. What there is money nothing more. Kanon is fortunate as his family has access to everything the WNBA has to offer. A seventeen-year-old subject to this circus is just wrong IMO. You can take it to the bank Kanon Catching's is better than OTE he just is. I get it every player out there has an agent who demands playing time for his client. Sorry I will get down from my soap box now.

I think most know how good Catchings can be, and understood what you were posting the first time. A few above didn't, but that says more about them.

I appreciate your efforts in scouting these kids and giving us your forthright assessment.

Last edited:
I think most know how good Catchings can be, and understood what you were posting the first time. A few above didn't, but that says more about them.

I appreciate your efforts in scouting these kids and giving us your forthright assessment.
He wasn't the only one that saw what he did. Getting around some good kids at Purdue will be helpful to him

Okay what was he trying to say? He lists the other 5 recruits in order of how he thinks they will impact Purdue and then writes (copy and paste):

"Last and it's not even close. Kanon Catching is broken! The two games he played were disgusting. He came home to Indy for two games then didn't come to play."

Update
Catchings goes for 21 points and 15 rebounds in 3rd playoff game on 9/16 shooting. Averaged team highs of 19.3 points and 10 rebounds in three game series as his team advances.

Anyone can watch these games on YouTube. There are links to them on the OTE webpage. It might not be your style of basketball but the guys play hard and in my view Catchings is the best guy on the court playing against Elite talent. If you don't have time to watch go to around the 8:20 mark on the replay. Catchings gets the rebound, dribbles down, goes behind his back, passes to his teammate, gets it back and hits a step back 3. Turns around before it goes in and runs back down the court.

I'm just saying reports of Catching's demise may be premature.

Okay what was he trying to say? He lists the other 5 recruits in order of how he thinks they will impact Purdue and then writes (copy and paste):

"Last and it's not even close. Kanon Catching is broken! The two games he played were disgusting. He came home to Indy for two games then didn't come to play."

Update
Catchings goes for 21 points and 15 rebounds in 3rd playoff game on 9/16 shooting. Averaged team highs of 19.3 points and 10 rebounds in three game series as his team advances.

Anyone can watch these games on YouTube. There are links to them on the OTE webpage. It might not be your style of basketball but the guys play hard and in my view Catchings is the best guy on the court playing against Elite talent. If you don't have time to watch go to around the 8:20 mark on the replay. Catchings gets the rebound, dribbles down, goes behind his back, passes to his teammate, gets it back and hits a step back 3. Turns around before it goes in and runs back down the court.

I like OB52 and all but I find that post to be heavy conjecture. Just because you do t like the style he’s playing doesn’t mean he can’t come here and adapt.

Yes, Jacobson and Benter, etc look like diamonds in the rough and good snags. Just because they had great games vs inferior competition and Catchjngs had some bad ones vs better competition doesn’t mean a kid is broken, not going to be good here or not the best recruit in the class far and away.

I find it interesting that Painter became interested in Cox when he went to one of his games and his primary recruiting interest was the guy playing for the other team, but it was clear that Cox outplayed him.

I think it’s also interesting how many positive posts were made about this time last year how awesome Myles and Heide were going to be. And now Harris, Cox, Catchings and Benter may even be better

And just like when we added Furst and TKR and they were both special, we are now adding two new big men who could be even better.

Loyer and Smith both started as freshmen. The more I read about these 6 incoming players, the more I believe any one of them could end up starting as a freshman.

And when I talk about Smith and Loyer starting as freshmen, I look back and see Morton, Furst and Gillis all accepted bench roles as experienced players. Painter is not afraid to put a starter on the bench. Look at Eastern and Stephen’s and to an extent Hunter and IT.

I like the present. But the future will be fun to watch as it all plays out.
That player was his primary recruit for that class Travis Perry. CJ dominated him. Travis was waffling and he offered CJ.

I like OB52 and all but I find that post to be heavy conjecture. Just because you do t like the style he’s playing doesn’t mean he can’t come here and adapt.

Yes, Jacobson and Benter, etc look like diamonds in the rough and good snags. Just because they had great games vs inferior competition and Catchjngs had some bad ones vs better competition doesn’t mean a kid is broken, not going to be good here or not the best recruit in the class far and away.
Kanon is a can't miss commit. Timing is everything and mine is lacking. Funny how people disagree with me without watching the games I referenced. I doubt anyone on here watches those games. And I think Grayson ranked 7th in the country ( Harris ) could beat anyone of those 8 OTE teams. Daniel Jacobsen plays for national power Brewster Academy few if any play a better schedule. Every team he plays has a 6'10 or better player. Best kid in the class yes far and away hell no. He isn't far and away better than any of the other five. This class is loaded there isn't a recruit in this country that is far and away better than any of the 6. I said this before but IMO Daniel when all is said and done will be the highest player drafted in this class and that includes Kanon. The best players I watched this year are Ace Bailey #2 (Rutgers) the second best is Dylan Harper #3 (Rutgers), If you want to see what a player far and away may look like watch either of them. Harris matched Bailey blow for blow and got the win which is all that kid cares about. Is this one of the kids you think Kanon is far and away better than? As far as how I ranked them each week I could change where they rank 1-6 every week. CJ Cox is a player who can and does take over games and could go down as the best for Purdue in this class. IMO Purdue has a class that can compete for a National Championship. Let's hope they play together putting one above the others especially when it isn't warranted has nothing to do with winning. Thanks for your opinion. " I never have learned anything from people who agree with me."

Kanon is a can't miss commit. Timing is everything and mine is lacking. Funny how people disagree with me without watching the games I referenced. I doubt anyone on here watches those games. And I think Grayson ranked 7th in the country ( Harris ) could beat anyone of those 8 OTE teams. Daniel Jacobsen plays for national power Brewster Academy few if any play a better schedule. Every team he plays has a 6'10 or better player. Best kid in the class yes far and away hell no. He isn't far and away better than any of the other five. This class is loaded there isn't a recruit in this country that is far and away better than any of the 6. I said this before but IMO Daniel when all is said and done will be the highest player drafted in this class and that includes Kanon. The best players I watched this year are Ace Bailey #2 (Rutgers) the second best is Dylan Harper #3 (Rutgers), If you want to see what a player far and away may look like watch either of them. Harris matched Bailey blow for blow and got the win which is all that kid cares about. Is this one of the kids you think Kanon is far and away better than? As far as how I ranked them each week I could change where they rank 1-6 every week. CJ Cox is a player who can and does take over games and could go down as the best for Purdue in this class. IMO Purdue has a class that can compete for a National Championship. Let's hope they play together putting one above the others especially when it isn't warranted has nothing to do with winning. Thanks for your opinion. " I never have learned anything from people who agree with me."
There are always going to be reasons why someone disagrees with another. Don't sweat it. State your opinion and be done. I believe the ONLY thing that some took perhaps too strong (I didn't) is when you used the word "broken". Had you said Kanon never played very well the last couple of games and not sure the style of play and/or teammates is helpful to Kanon based upon his body language, I doubt others would have taken such an exception. As I previously said, there were others that shared your concern in what you saw. No issue on my end...

They are all the best player you’ve ever seen. Except Kanon.

I see the agenda here

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford

Update

Yep. The tone and tenor was what I took offense to. If he had said "I hate OTE. I don't think it's benefited Kanon at all and he's developing some bad habits that Coach Painter and staff are likely going to have to break when he arrives in April." instead of "Kanon Catchings is broken", I'd have been fine.

The funny thing is, reading between the lines, I think the former was what he meant but nowhere near what he typed.

I also remember him very inappropriately reaching out to recruit's family in the past and I don't think that's something a fan should ever do.

That player was his primary recruit for that class Travis Perry. CJ dominated him. Travis was waffling and he offered CJ.
Exactly! Perry may end up being a great player. But, he really didn’t want to come to Purdue.

With that said, Cox dominated him in their one matchup that Painter was at.

An honest question to ask. We all talk about teams and players that lose. And then we say after the loss that if given 10 times, The player who lost would win 8 times out of 10. And he just had an off night.

So my question is this: if Perry and Cox played each other 10 times, who would win the majority of those games/ matchups. Would Cox win the majority of those games, or did he just have the game of his life knowing who was in the crowd watching?

How much interest did Painter have in Cox before this game? And looking at Purdue’s team and its future and other recruits, where does Cox fit in? Is he better than Myles and Harris or Heide or Loyer?

Admittedly. Many coaches go to see one player and many times they see another player. That’s why I’m not a fan of highlight reels. They never show the bad games. How well has Cox fared against other worthy competition?

Exactly! Perry may end up being a great player. But, he really didn’t want to come to Purdue.

An honest question to ask. We all talk about teams and players that lose. And then we say after the loss that if given 10 times, The player who lost would win 8 times out of 10. And he just had an off night.

So my question is this: if Perry and Cox played each other 10 times, who would win the majority of those games/ matchups. Would Cox win the majority of those games, or did he just have the game of his life knowing who was in the crowd watching?

How much interest did Painter have in Cox before this game? And looking at Purdue’s team and its future and other recruits, where does Cox fit in? Is he better than Myles and Harris or Heide or Loyer?

Admittedly. Many coaches go to see one player and many times they see another player. That’s why I’m not a fan of highlight reels. They never show the bad games. How well has Cox fared against other worthy competition?
Perry’s team had Flory Bidunga on it and I don’t even think painter cared who won. I’d assume he saw what cox could do and what Perry couldn’t do.

Cox has also beat the number 1 prospect in the 2025 class multiple times (his only losses).

Yep. The tone and tenor was what I took offense to. If he had said "I hate OTE. I don't think it's benefited Kanon at all and he's developing some bad habits that Coach Painter and staff are likely going to have to break when he arrives in April." instead of "Kanon Catchings is broken", I'd have been fine.

The funny thing is, reading between the lines, I think the former was what he meant but nowhere near what he typed.

I also remember him very inappropriately reaching out to recruit's family in the past and I don't think that's something a fan should ever do.
Family members reach out to me! Has anyone ever told you your kid was great that you had a problem with? Look at my followers on twitter many are current and former players parents or recruits. With in the last week, I have had DM's with at least five. Coach Painter has NO PROBLEM! with me and my handling of my account. If I cross a line which I have once (Caleb Swanigan) Elliot Bloom jumped down my throat over a bowl of cereal of all things. If none of them have a problem with me some jealous message board guy can get screwed. I suffer from dementia it takes me a hour to respond in detail so I struggle with every aspect of life so again screw you! You're attacking me to make yourself feel better crosses a line. You know less than I have forgotten this morning alone. I live my life with one basic principle treat people the way you want to be treated. Prove what you claim or shut the hell up. I am willing to stop if I ever cross the line. Prove it and it can be easy my twitter and everything on it can be reviewed. You're a liar and cannot prove yourself less. Again, screw you! When you used the term stalker a parent of a current player informed me of it. People like you are why I turndown offers to write for people like Travis and Kyle and get paid for it. SCREW YOU! You're a Liar come on prove me wrong! I do apologize to all who have to read this but this same POS keeps making accusations without ever offering any proof I have had enough! PROVE IT! I am truly sorry for this response. Elliot is the compliance officer ask him if I am an asset or a liability, he see's everything I put out. Why do you follow me on twitter? My wife and I are having lunch today with a player's mom and I will grab the check report me!

Your comments about OTE are exactly what I took from his comments. Maybe I was reading between the lines, but it was very clear to me that he absolutely hates OTE and what it has done to Catchings. And maybe I put it all in the context of all of his past posts, which were extremely positive about Catchings. He saw something different in those games where Catchings disappeared. And he is probably correct when he wrote that the people criticizing his assessment didn't even watch those games.

A few answers I have read/heard:

1. Painter was on CJ Cox at 0%. He saw CJ play against Perry and was blown away. Painter also was blown away about how supportive and excited his teammates were for him. All said the same genuine things: great leader, role model and loved more that others succeeded than he did. Everyone responded the same way. I believe coach interviewed a lot of players, family members from other players and coaching staff. All said the same things.

2. Milton Academy plays in one of the deepest and most talented leagues. Top East Coast teams- tough as nails games. He also plays for Middlesex Magic, one of 26 programs in the country sponsored by Under Armour and playing on the prestigious UAA (Under Armour Association) circuit. Shocked he was overlooked. These are the type of East Coast players we hate to play in March.

3. Nope, I think he would have dominated Perry most match-ups, IMO. On ball defense has deflated Perry in past poor games. Perry needs defensive growth.

4. I think Cox is a natural point guard but could easily play the 2. He’s a two way player at day one as is Harris, IMO. He’ll be better than Smith on defense year one and will be better then Loyer and Myles on defense next year. A stud. I think Heide will jump next year and could play the 3 or 4 next year. I believe our backcourt will be our strength next year. We are going to frustrate a lot of teams next year and push the offense more (faster play).

1. Painter was on CJ Cox at 0%. He saw CJ play against Perry and was blown away. Painter also was blown away about how supportive and excited his teammates were for him. All said the same genuine things: great leader, role model and loved more that others succeeded than he did. Everyone responded the same way. I believe coach interviewed a lot of players, family members from other players and coaching staff. All said the same things.

2. Milton Academy plays in one of the deepest and most talented leagues. Top East Coast teams- tough as nails games. He also plays for Middlesex Magic, one of 26 programs in the country sponsored by Under Armour and playing on the prestigious UAA (Under Armour Association) circuit. Shocked he was overlooked. These are the type of East Coast players we hate to play in March.

3. Nope, I think he would have dominated Perry most match-ups, IMO. On ball defense has deflated Perry in past poor games. Perry needs defensive growth.

4. I think Cox is a natural point guard but could easily play the 2. He’s a two way player at day one as is Harris, IMO. He’ll be better than Smith on defense year one and will be better then Loyer and Myles on defense next year. A stud. I think Heide will jump next year and could play the 3 or 4 next year. I believe our backcourt will be our strength next year. We are going to frustrate a lot of teams next year and push the offense more (faster play).
Thanks a good reply and insight

players that have the ability and are hungry are a positive whether that name is Edey or Smith or Cox

I don’t know if he is a natural 1 or 2 but the fact he and Harris can do both is awesome. Looking at teams who are successful in the tourney is because they have a deep backcourt of guys who can create for themselves and others. Like that he and Harris are both strong and physical and can hopefully step in as day 1 guys.

Family members reach out to me! Has anyone ever told you your kid was great that you had a problem with? Look at my followers on twitter many are current and former players parents or recruits. With in the last week, I have had DM's with at least five. Coach Painter has NO PROBLEM! with me and my handling of my account. If I cross a line which I have once (Caleb Swanigan) Elliot Bloom jumped down my throat over a bowl of cereal of all things. If none of them have a problem with me some jealous message board guy can get screwed. I suffer from dementia it takes me a hour to respond in detail so I struggle with every aspect of life so again screw you! You're attacking me to make yourself feel better crosses a line. You know less than I have forgotten this morning alone. I live my life with one basic principle treat people the way you want to be treated. Prove what you claim or shut the hell up. I am willing to stop if I ever cross the line. Prove it and it can be easy my twitter and everything on it can be reviewed. You're a liar and cannot prove yourself less. Again, screw you! When you used the term stalker a parent of a current player informed me of it. People like you are why I turndown offers to write for people like Travis and Kyle and get paid for it. SCREW YOU! You're a Liar come on prove me wrong! I do apologize to all who have to read this but this same POS keeps making accusations without ever offering any proof I have had enough! PROVE IT! I am truly sorry for this response. Elliot is the compliance officer ask him if I am an asset or a liability, he see's everything I put out. Why do you follow me on twitter? My wife and I are having lunch today with a player's mom and I will grab the check report me!
Old52, keep up your postings and info as I stated in the past. I'm sorry to hear about your Dementia as my wife developed it 3 yrs ago at 63. Only the people living w/ it or being affected by it can understand how it undermines ones life and family daily. It's not like a mood or anything equivalent, you wake up to it everyday and it's a constant. Keep up the good work and fight the good fight

Old52, keep up your postings and info as I stated in the past. I'm sorry to hear about your Dementia as my wife developed it 3 yrs ago at 63. Only the people living w/ it or being affected by it can understand how it undermines ones life and family daily. It's not like a mood or anything equivalent, you wake up to it everyday and it's a constant. Keep up the good work and fight the good fight
Same here Old52. Do your thing. Enjoy your life and don’t give any S$its to anyone who responds to you. I appreciate all the info you bring.
We are Boilermakers and should respect other. Don’t agree. Fine. A little banter, cool. Being a little snarky. Yes please. But be respectful. I lost my Boilermaker dad before Thanksgiving. First generation Boilermaker from a poor Polish immigrant family. Distinguished alumni. Lived 3 days with a torn aorta. Tough generation, and we are happy you are still here. Please enjoy the board and the happiness it bring you.

For those who are quick to throw stones at others, it did appear there was a stretch of several games where Catchings did appear to be not at his best or close to his norm. But it appears somebody lit a fire under his behind and he is back to his dominant self once more.

Maybe catchings or a person in his circle saw Old Boiler’s article and it motivated him. We have often said many people who are not posters read the posts here. Maybe Catchings saw the post. Maybe a scout or nil agent read old boilers post. It’s interesting that Catchings has really picked up his game after that review was written.

There was a similar post about Edey’s FT shooting becoming a liability a couple of weeks ago. And after that was posted, Edey’s FT shooting regained its previous form. It kind of makes you believe players or their handlers read our post.

Same here Old52. Do your thing. Enjoy your life and don’t give any S$its to anyone who responds to you. I appreciate all the info you bring.
We are Boilermakers and should respect other. Don’t agree. Fine. A little banter, cool. Being a little snarky. Yes please. But be respectful. I lost my Boilermaker dad before Thanksgiving. First generation Boilermaker from a poor Polish immigrant family. Distinguished alumni. Lived 3 days with a torn aorta. Tough generation, and we are happy you are still here. Please enjoy the board and the happiness it bring you.
my wife is of Polish ethnicity

Reactions: Flot
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT