ADVERTISEMENT

Phinisee

https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2Fl0HlPbwgMQTue5xAc%2Fgiphy.gif
Sorry but OG didn't develop until he left IU.

Nice try but no, he’s developed into a very solid nba player but he did not develop that game until after he left IU. His college stats weren’t anything special and he was surely drafted on physical attributes

Oh! You want a guy who did not have great physical attributes when he arrived at IU, then produced excellent college stats once he got to IU, and has succeeded in the NBA, after Oladipo?

Gotcha.

Post high school:

images

After two years at IU:

220px-Thomas_Bryant.jpg

Last edited:
Crean sure as hell didn’t make him into what he became.
I'm not a Crean fan at all, but I kinda disagree -- the evidence shows otherwise.

Wherever Crean has been players have consistently developed into solid NBA players and it goes far beyond D Wade and Oladipo. Hell, Wes Matthews is still in the NBA from Crean's Marquette days. Wade, Novak, Matthews,Oladipo, OG, Zeller, Bryant, Nic Claxton and Edwards at Georgia. All with five or more years (or well on the way to five+ years) of NBA time as a rotation player. There's a definite trend of Crean players getting to the NBA and sticking.

Last edited:
I'm not a Crean fan at all, but I kinda disagree -- the evidence shows otherwise.

Wherever Crean has been players have consistently developed into solid NBA players and it goes far beyond D Wade and Oladipo. Hell, Wes Matthews is still in the NBA from Crean's Marquette days. Wade, Novak, Matthews,Oladipo, OG, Zeller, Bryant, Nic Claxton and Edwards at Georgia. All with five or more years (or well on the way to five+ years) of NBA time as a rotation player. There's a definite trend of Crean players getting to the NBA and sticking.
Crean was a good recruiter at IU. He’d still be there if he could develop talent he recruited and could coach a lick.

Oh, no, no, no, no. Don’t want Phinicky back ho.
Tired of his walkin’ on the flo.
No, thank you, please.
He’d only give us disease.
Let prodigal son travel on mo.

Crean was a good recruiter at IU. He’d still be there if he could develop talent he recruited and could coach a lick.
Good recruiter? Generally agree. Developed individuals for the next level really well. That's one of the primary reasons recruiting went well.

Couldn't coach defense a lick, and just a weird dude that wore people out after a while. Maxed out at two B1G championships and two Sweet Sixteens in nine years, and soooo inconsistent. Adios Tommy!

Oh! You want a guy who did not have great physical attributes when he arrived at IU, then produced excellent college stats once he got to IU, and has succeeded in the NBA, after Oladipo?

Gotcha.

Post high school:

images

After two years at IU:

220px-Thomas_Bryant.jpg
Ugh he was a top 25 recruit in his class coming in to IU so I don’t get your point on this one either

Ugh he was a top 25 recruit in his class coming in to IU so I don’t get your point on this one either
Well when I presented OG Anunoby as an example of a guy who developed at IU, you said he wasn't good enough in college, even though by his sophomore year OG averaged double digit points and over 5 rebounds in 26 mpg. OG came in as the #355 composite recruit and averaged 4.9 ppg his first year.

Do you mean a player who developed into an excellent college player only (not an NBA player) and was an underrecruited guy? Okay... Xavier Johnson. Over the course of his first year at IU he changed. He arrived as a problem, albeit with talent, from Pitt. He also started the year at IU as that same player. By the end of the year he was a pick and roll monster who shot over 45% from 3pt and about 90% from the line over the last ten games of the season.

Well when I presented OG Anunoby as an example of a guy who developed at IU, you said he wasn't good enough in college, even though by his sophomore year OG averaged double digit points and over 5 rebounds in 26 mpg. OG came in as the #355 composite recruit and averaged 4.9 ppg his first year.

Do you mean a player who developed into an excellent college player only (not an NBA player) and was an underrecruited guy? Okay... Xavier Johnson. Over the course of his first year at IU he changed. He arrived as a problem, albeit with talent, from Pitt. He also started the year at IU as that same player. By the end of the year he was a pick and roll monster who shot over 45% from 3pt and about 90% from the line over the last ten games of the season.
The Victor statement was a little sarcasm but some what true though. OG developed after leaving IU, he literally started like 10 games while he was there. I wouldn’t consider Xavier Johnson on that list until after his IU career is over after being a upper class that came from the transfer portal. Race Thompson is the only guy that comes to mind in the last 5+yrs that has truly developed into a better player over his IU career (he can play on my team I like his toughest). My point is IU has had a boat load of good recruits over the years that haven’t developed in to much….plus a 5* that should of been in the NBA by now but we won’t go there.

I am of the opinion that Victor O did very well at developing his game while at IU. A number of other players did too, but it didn’t seem to be a consistent development across the team. Crean and his coaching staff had lots of issues, but I think specific players did improve. However, I think those players did much of their development on their own, if such a thing is possible. In any case, it is hard to argue against Crean being a developer. I’m just not into revisionist history.

Now, I might add that using VO has an example of what Crean did might be using a significant outlier as an example of what everyone experienced under Crean.

:cool:

I’ll should add this for accuracy:

Development “at IU” is kind of deceptive. Players develop with coaching staffs far more than because of universities.

Development under Crean? Pretty strong. Under Archie? Horrendous. So my “IU development” examples were two Crean guys (OG & Bryant) and a Woodson guy (X). The OP threw in Race, who didn’t really improve much until Woody arrived. Not much progress in four years of Archie to say the least.

Development at Purdue is far more accurate because it’s a long long run of the same guy guiding the program. Painter has substantially developed many during their college years, but relatively few into NBA players that stick on rosters.

Last edited:
Reactions: indyogb
So question is with everyone jumping ship, will Indinia even have enough players to put a team together next year?
Purdue fans still running their mouths after another instant classic Purdue choke job that would even make mean gene jealous. This is why you are Purdue. Thanks for the giggles. It’s always cute when you guys start to think you are a sports school. However the lack of NCAA titles in all Purdue athletics tells the true story.

Purdue fans still running their mouths after another instant classic Purdue choke job that would even make mean gene jealous. This is why you are Purdue. Thanks for the giggles. It’s always cute when you guys start to think you are a sports school. However the lack of NCAA titles in all Purdue athletics tells the true story.
No bowl wins since 1991? You guys went from talking about playing in NY6 games and winning Big Ten titles to going 2-10 and half your players leaving.

In basketball, IU barely made the NCAAT this season and didn’t beat Purdue for 6 seasons.

IU’s AD is a joke. Keep living in the past, dude. Bob Knight is coming back.

No bowl wins since 1991? You guys went from talking about playing in NY6 games and winning Big Ten titles to going 2-10 and half your players leaving.

In basketball, IU barely made the NCAAT this season and didn’t beat Purdue for 6 seasons.

IU’s AD is a joke. Keep living in the past, dude. Bob Knight is coming back.
You still have the womens NCAA golf title to hang your hat on. Purdue isn’t a sports school. Never has been, never will. Gotta get that hardware boy.

The real joke is how does a big ten school in Indiana not have a ncaa title in basketball? Here is to another century of mediocrity and choke jobs! Boiler up!

My ass!

Last edited:
piss off loosier that lost so much they can't help hanging out on their RIVALS WEBSITE> LOL

St. Peter’s peacocks. Doh! Try again in a decade Purdue. One of these days!! Right!?!?
Loo-loo-loo-Loosiers. IU has the worst football (not futbol) program in NCAA history. 1991 since IU’s last bowl win. Purdue beat Tennessee 48-45 this last season, and beat #2 and #3 (Iowa and MSU) to go 9-4. When was the last time IU beat OSU?

Once again, I will not rag on a young man nor wish hum ill will. However, as my previous comment about Morton, I will continue to state that his skill traits are not at the level of BIG caliber. I was at the game last night and witnessed hid inability to be aggressive enough to work himself through picks or quick enough to "roll of the pick" and catch up with the switch. His shot his suspect because he doesn't let the ball roll off his fingertips and his wrist never rotates the outside when he releases the ball. What else can I say? Wish the young man the best of luck.
I remember when Morton was a senior in high school And painter made a comment about how Morton would’ve been starting for Purdue… Oh man, fun times!

Says it all.

GQkuhai.jpg

Just happy to be there for once.
They were so happy that they fired an assistant / former player / alum and then orchestrated a reputational hit job on him utilizing a website pigeon eager to maintain access to the program. They’ve been storming the court in celebration ever since.

Reactions: DAG10
Get XJ instead of RP

XJ has more talent, but no way he would ever be a Boiler. Not a fit for this program in any way... no offense. I don't talk negative about these 18-23 year old men as they find their way in life with many of them doing their best. But 100% no from me on XJ.

Phinisee however should have been here to start with and I am going to bet he wishes had had....

I stand by my statement even more today. Wow.

The worlds most popular sport? And yes it Beats womens golf. Purdue doesn’t haven’t enough NCAA titles to be considered a sports school.
Your avitar shows that you are crying. Your posts do, too. Entirely understandable. Funny for you to say that Purdue is not a "sports school" when Purdue owns Indinia and Indinia finishes in the bottom half of the B1G in nearly every major sport.

Reactions: Poprudy
The worlds most popular sport? And yes it Beats womens golf. Purdue doesn’t haven’t enough NCAA titles to be considered a sports school.
And men's soccer is less popular than women's volleyball in the USA. Women's volleyball. Oh yeah, another sport where Purdue dominates Indinia.

Reactions: DAG10 and Poprudy
Your avitar shows that you are crying. Your posts do, too. Entirely understandable. Funny for you to say that Purdue is not a "sports school" when Purdue owns Indinia and Indinia finishes in the bottom half of the B1G in nearly every major sport.
He was here for a reason. Don't forget they were so close to getting that first tournament win this year.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
St. Peter’s peacocks. Doh! Try again in a decade Purdue. One of these days!! Right!?!?
How depraved would somebody have to be to troll on another school's sports discussion board? There is really something mentally wrong there. It's truly sad.

Vonleh?

That said, those guys were talented guys...Crean recruited some talented guys...THAT was never the issue with him. I mean, he did nothing really for/with Vonleh, but, the guy has had a steady NBA career. I don't know that he truly developed some of those other guys either...they were talented...he played a stylet that benefited them...he certainly did not hold them back...they were allowed freedom, several played together and benefited as such.

If Crean were some great developer of players, he would not be out of a job...again, or, been on his third job even likely.

Reactions: indyogb

You have been a XJ guy, and, I have not...with the latest transgression and yet another stupid mistake off the floor, I stand by what I have said...the guy is a significant liability in every way, and, if Woodson were not SO desperate, he never would have been there to begin with, and, it is nothing short of ridiculous if he remains.

Talented kid...that was never the problem...more talented than I gave him credit for in some ways, but, just a guy that causes problems all of the time, and, not good ones generally...bad kid, and, should not be playing there...I can't stand that program, but, even I give them credit for at least having some semblance of culture for the most part, or trying to...and, this guy is NOT the guy that represents it positively...on the floor, or off.

Vonleh?

That said, those guys were talented guys...Crean recruited some talented guys...THAT was never the issue with him. I mean, he did nothing really for/with Vonleh, but, the guy has had a steady NBA career. I don't know that he truly developed some of those other guys either...they were talented...he played a stylet that benefited them...he certainly did not hold them back...they were allowed freedom, several played together and benefited as such.

If Crean were some great developer of players, he would not be out of a job...again, or, been on his third job even likely.
I was dismissive of Crean's recruiting successes at IU because I felt "anyone" could recruit there. Archie Miller convinced me of the inconvincible - he actually failed to recruit very well at IU (at least by their typical standards). Crean seemed to do less with more quite often, but he did build a few very good IU teams in his time. It's hard to say how much of that was player development. It seems more obvious when a coach gets the most out of marginal talent (Painter until the last few years) as opposed to getting everything out of the best players in the world (some of Crean's early teams and some of Painter's recent teams).

You have been a XJ guy, and, I have not...with the latest transgression and yet another stupid mistake off the floor, I stand by what I have said...the guy is a significant liability in every way, and, if Woodson were not SO desperate, he never would have been there to begin with, and, it is nothing short of ridiculous if he remains.

Talented kid...that was never the problem...more talented than I gave him credit for in some ways, but, just a guy that causes problems all of the time, and, not good ones generally...bad kid, and, should not be playing there...I can't stand that program, but, even I give them credit for at least having some semblance of culture for the most part, or trying to...and, this guy is NOT the guy that represents it positively...on the floor, or off.
Appreciate the reasonable discussion—your take is reasonable too.

X is absolutely a flawed person, but I’m still an XJ guy (with reservations until all facts come out). And that’s with this happening at the best time for IUBB; early in portal season when there are unlimited options. IU hasn’t gone after Pack but they could now.

I think X is a good kid that also has issues. His off court stuff is a lot like his on court stuff—lots of good followed by a public bad decision. He was with Leal at elementary schools this week and it was X, not Leal that arranged it all. People are seldom “bad” or “good.” Of course there are exceptions—IU had Devon Dumes and Armon Bassett- very little good there. XJ is not those kids; not at all IMO.

If you believe the police report and the news articles (and they seem consistent) he was not drunk, didn’t refuse a breathalyzer, but was doing 90 in a fast car and tried to switch seats when caught. Dumb.

18-21 year olds do dumb stuff. If you guys wanna pass Gillis over to IU I’m great with that. Good kids, bad decisions at times. XJ can still come out ahead in life and Woody can be part of that. That being said, he’s a risky guy to keep and if Woody had him on some sort of “one more time and you’re gone” status then I get it.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAG10 and indyogb
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT