ADVERTISEMENT

Just watched the game and came away encouraged

boilerzz

All-American
Jul 5, 2002
West Chester, OH
www.marchfirstbrewing.com
I was at the bar during the game so couldn’t watch well so I just watched with a more mindful eye….especially after reading some of the posts.

A few thoughts:

Purdue won a road game in one of the most hostile environments we’ll play in all year. They did so despite:
  • Loyer, Jones and Heide going 0-10 from 3 and 2-15 from the floor. And they were largely great looks. I doubt that happens again.
  • Officiating that was poor or at least officiated in a manner that fit Rutgers’ strengths much more than Purdue’s. Omoruyi easily could’ve fouled out in the first half if the refs hadn't swallowed their whistles.
  • Rutgers making several runs to get close and really getting the crowd into it. Purdue kept its composure in a tough environment
  • Smith and Gillis being the only players to hit a 3 and the 5th best 3P shooting team in the country going just 5-19 from three

A few other thoughts:
  • Smith had complete control of this game. He did a great job of picking his spots and really made Rutgers work. I know he only had 2 assists but would have had several more if his teammates had hit some of the shots they normally make.
  • Love Zach keeping his composure despite the physical abuse. The smirk late in the game was hilarious.
  • Gillis is fearless and provided a big spark when TKR was struggling
  • Jones has been aggressive at generating steals and easy buckets the last couple of games. That just makes us tougher. And his rebounds and assists were huge in a game where his shot wasn’t falling.
  • For those lamenting Loyer’s defense, you really should rewatch the game. He had a few buckets scored on him but each one I saw was the direct result of an uncalled moving screen. He was hustling his ass off, which is something we just aren’t seeing out of Colvin.
  • The press was largely a non-issue. The only turnover vs the press was because Jones was a little lackadaisical after the catch.

One other thing. I’m not sure I’ve seen a broadcast in a long time (if ever) where both announcers were clearly rooting for one team. Brando and Ellis might have well been Rutgers cheerleaders.
hype sells and beating Purdue would have allowed them to say all the things they want to say to sell the hype. They were just planting seeds so that if it happened it might add credibility to their thoughts

I was at the bar during the game so couldn’t watch well so I just watched with a more mindful eye….especially after reading some of the posts.

A few thoughts:

Purdue won a road game in one of the most hostile environments we’ll play in all year. They did so despite:
  • Loyer, Jones and Heide going 0-10 from 3 and 2-15 from the floor. And they were largely great looks. I doubt that happens again.
  • Officiating that was poor or at least officiated in a manner that fit Rutgers’ strengths much more than Purdue’s. Omoruyi easily could’ve fouled out in the first half if the refs hadn't swallowed their whistles.
  • Rutgers making several runs to get close and really getting the crowd into it. Purdue kept its composure in a tough environment
  • Smith and Gillis being the only players to hit a 3 and the 5th best 3P shooting team in the country going just 5-19 from three

A few other thoughts:
  • Smith had complete control of this game. He did a great job of picking his spots and really made Rutgers work. I know he only had 2 assists but would have had several more if his teammates had hit some of the shots they normally make.
  • Love Zach keeping his composure despite the physical abuse. The smirk late in the game was hilarious.
  • Jones has been aggressive at generating steals and easy buckets the last couple of games. That just makes us tougher. And his rebounds and assists were huge in a game where his shot wasn’t falling.
  • For those lamenting Loyer’s defense, you really should rewatch the game. He had a few buckets scored on him but each one I saw was the direct result of an uncalled moving screen. He was hustling his ass off, which is something we just aren’t seeing out of Colvin.
  • The press was largely a non-issue. The only turnover vs the press was because Jones was a little lackadaisical after the catch.
I think everybody that sees the game in a less emotional place (after it is over) always sees things a bit more clearly...maybe not all, but more...

A few thoughts:

A few other thoughts:
Very well said and wish a lot of the “sky is falling” crowd would realize this

Announcers (no matter the network) want the upset. Much better TV than "well PU wins another one easily". See it all the time in broadcasts. We are still getting used to being the hunted instead of the hunter. It's a great spot to be in and I hope CMP can keep us there after Edey is gone.

Announcers (no matter the network) want the upset. Much better TV than "well PU wins another one easily". See it all the time in broadcasts. We are still getting used to being the hunted instead of the hunter. It's a great spot to be in and I hope CMP can keep us there after Edey is gone.
I just prefer those that know the teams better as well as the players inside each team...and of course a lot more replays. ;)

I just prefer those that know the teams better as well as the players inside each team...and of course a lot more replays. ;)
No doubt a big ten network broadcast is going to have announcers that know a B1G ten team better. But the difference in the number of eyeballs on the game is huge for our team being on a national TV broadcast. Leading up to the football games yesterday was a huge number I'm sure compared to a typical B1G network game.

I don't love Brando or Ellis on the call, but I do love us being on the National broadcast. Great exposure. We want as many of those as possible.

No doubt a big ten network broadcast is going to have announcers that know a B1G ten team better. But the difference in the number of eyeballs on the game is huge for our team being on a national TV broadcast. Leading up to the football games yesterday was a huge number I'm sure compared to a typical B1G network game.

I don't love Brando or Ellis on the call, but I do love us being on the National broadcast. Great exposure. We want as many of those as possible.
I get that and with teams from the east coast to the west coast there are a LOT of eyeballs that will see the games whether Fox owned the Big or not. Somebody wants those games for the exact reason you state. That said I think most Big viewers prefer those that know the teams and players better instead of those outside the Big somewhat and certainly more replays on the "existing" play that just finished...not two before. As the blob grows the intimate knowledge more local is lost.

I liked when we had Bilas earlier in the year, being an ex player he's knowledgable and knows the players and what's going on in the game

I liked when we had Bilas earlier in the year, being an ex player he's knowledgable and knows the players and what's going on in the game
I had commented somewhere else that I thought he did a good job in Hawaii for us. I'm not normally to keen on him, but the past couple of years I have thought he has done better on the PU games he did.

I know I'm not going to get many likes for this......but I really wish we were still associated with ESPN. I just think the overall exposure is better and that can only be good for our program.

I had commented somewhere else that I thought he did a good job in Hawaii for us. I'm not normally to keen on him, but the past couple of years I have thought he has done better on the PU games he did.

I know I'm not going to get many likes for this......but I really wish we were still associated with ESPN. I just think the overall exposure is better and that can only be good for our program.

Even with the ESPN comment (which I disagree partly - the first half....haha), I liked your post, Dry. :)

Reactions: Dryfly88

too many people have to get over he played at Duke, I get it but I think he's been great and enjoy his insights and doesn't ramble.

too many people have to get over he played at Duke, I get it but I think he's been great and enjoy his insights and doesn't ramble.
Bilas is great with Sean McDonough. Jay Williams on the other hand…was great in the studio, very bad on the broadcast. Maybe he will get better with time like Robbie did.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
There were a lot of complaints in ON3 I read this afternoon. Some went as far to say it was the worst announcers they have seen. I couldn't rate worse ever, but it is the only time I can ever remember Kim turning on radio coverage on her phone. I still watched because many times I don't really hear them speak. I do want to hear the call when sometimes it isn't obvious and of course see the replays on those calls as well.

A few thoughts:

A few other thoughts:
I fully support your run for President of this forum

There were a lot of complaints in ON3 I read this afternoon. Some went as far to say it was the worst announcers they have seen. I couldn't rate worse ever, but it is the only time I can ever remember Kim turning on radio coverage on her phone. I still watched because many times I don't really hear them speak. I do want to hear the call when sometimes it isn't obvious and of course see the replays on those calls as well.
Yeah, to each his own. I'll take a Fox, ESPN, CBS national game any day. It's about exposure and numbers watching our team. I don't get too caught up in announcers. Good and bad with all of them. I watch to "see" my team I don't even need the announcers most of the time.

Reactions: tjreese
Should be an audio option to only hear the calls made by the refs and that’s it

LaPhonso is an ex-player too, much better than Bilas ever was. Doesn't help him. Most of these color guys are either ex-players or ex-coaches or both.

Bilas is great with Sean McDonough. Jay Williams on the other hand…was great in the studio, very bad on the broadcast. Maybe he will get better with time like Robbie did.
Probably why he doesn't do many games these days, if at all?

Yeah, to each his own. I'll take a Fox, ESPN, CBS national game any day. It's about exposure and numbers watching our team. I don't get too caught up in announcers. Good and bad with all of them. I watch to "see" my team I don't even need the announcers most of the time.
But if you want national exposure for your team, there are 2 kinds of exposure -- good and bad. The announcers can impact that. They don't impact your or my view of the team, obviously, because if they are being negative or silly, I turn off the sound. But for a national audience that may not know Purdue, you would like some true professionals who know the teams they are talking about.

but I suppose you still like lots of replays? No question to each his own. If everybody liked the same things it would get pretty boring

But if you want national exposure for your team, there are 2 kinds of exposure -- good and bad. The announcers can impact that. They don't impact your or my view of the team, obviously, because if they are being negative or silly, I turn off the sound. But for a national audience that may not know Purdue, you would like some true professionals who know the teams they are talking about.
Purdue has been number 1 for three years and is only the third program in recorded history to do that. How much media has pointed that out? Purdue has been only 1 of 2 programs in the Big to have 3-petes. It has been a very consistently good program for many years. However, the hype of the tourney relative to Purdue's performance has not been good. Who knows if Robbie never got hurt? Who knows if Haas never got hurt? Going back farther Purdue played on the home court of some teams in the tourney, but that and announcers getting negative soundbites probably doesn't do Purdue favors (few remember some of those match-ups prior to a computer).

Still, it is what it is and you need to be good and get some breaks for a couple of weeks and then they will shower the program with love. Soon, the conference will stretch the east coast to the west coast and there will be a LOT of exposure and a lot of hours to be on TV allowing many unemployed a few games a night in the big to watch the teams in the conference. Anyway, I like the audio only from the refs option. Just want the replays... ;)

I mean there's like three posters who are that way, let's not lump in folks who might have an occasional criticism with a tiny number.
👍🏼 I don’t have the energy at the moment to go and tally up how many doom and gloomers there are after we either lose or “barely win” but it’s a lot more than 3.

But all good. Hope they’re proven wrong…however many of them there are!

👍🏼 I don’t have the energy at the moment to go and tally up how many doom and gloomers there are after we either lose or “barely win” but it’s a lot more than 3.

But all good. Hope they’re proven wrong…however many of them there are!
Not really. Unless you count every person who doesn't think Painter is perfect. The VAST majority of posters on here are not doom and gloom.

Not really. Unless you count every person who doesn't think Painter is perfect. The VAST majority of posters on here are not doom and gloom.
That is probably true, but wait until a loss God forbid and posters that typically don't post now share their thoughts. it is okay, but one poster will fight verbally with another if they don't agree...part of a forum in sports. ;)

That is probably true, but wait until a loss God forbid and posters that typically don't post now share their thoughts. it is okay, but one poster will fight verbally with another if they don't agree...part of a forum in sports. ;)
Beat me to it. The Fire Painter crowd only posts when Purdue loses. And yes, it is more than a handful.

I was just accused of that (being someone who only posts after losses and being a Debbie Downer) the last time we lost. Didn't matter that I literally posted I in no way thought the team couldn't make a final four this year or several other things. It was the mere suggestion that we might have to ever so slightly adjust that sent a few people to the vapors.

The issue is both extremes get more vocal after a loss. The people who take even a hint of criticism as blasphemy and the ones who only have criticism of everything both come out after a loss.

That doesn't mean the vast majority are either extreme.

Imagine how the Ohio State fans must have felt during the Tyler Trent game!

I don't get the rub. I heard both announcers say at least once they were skeptical about Purdue the last couple of years but with the addition of Jones and the maturity of the guards, they think Purdue has to be considered a serious contender to win it all this year. They also mentioned that the player of the year discussion was over before it was even started because there is no one close to Edey.

I'm not sure what you want them to say. Purdue's great and Rutgers is 2-5 in conference? No way Rutgers can come back? It's TV. I'll admit when Purdue was up 30 against Michigan, even I lost interest. They want people to watch. That's their business.

Should be an audio option to only hear the calls made by the refs and that’s it
They should have the refs mic’d up especially during reviews. Not saying that fixes anything but would be hilarious. During the Texas Houston game last night, they had a mic near the review table so it heard they were reviewing a foul to see if it was a 2 or 3pt shot. Whoever was on the call said “the foul happened clearly before that shot attempt”.

• Haha
Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Purdue has been number 1 for three years and is only the third program in recorded history to do that. How much media has pointed that out? Purdue has been only 1 of 2 programs in the Big to have 3-petes. It has been a very consistently good program for many years. However, the hype of the tourney relative to Purdue's performance has not been good. Who knows if Robbie never got hurt? Who knows if Haas never got hurt? Going back farther Purdue played on the home court of some teams in the tourney, but that and announcers getting negative soundbites probably doesn't do Purdue favors (few remember some of those match-ups prior to a computer).

Still, it is what it is and you need to be good and get some breaks for a couple of weeks and then they will shower the program with love. Soon, the conference will stretch the east coast to the west coast and there will be a LOT of exposure and a lot of hours to be on TV allowing many unemployed a few games a night in the big to watch the teams in the conference. Anyway, I like the audio only from the refs option. Just want the replays... ;)
I went to YouTube and found the NFL game from 1980 that I remembered. NBC had no both announcers but allowed the audio from the Press Box announcer. I’m not sure why that didn’t catch on.

I was just accused of that (being someone who only posts after losses and being a Debbie Downer) the last time we lost. Didn't matter that I literally posted I in no way thought the team couldn't make a final four this year or several other things. It was the mere suggestion that we might have to ever so slightly adjust that sent a few people to the vapors.

The issue is both extremes get more vocal after a loss. The people who take even a hint of criticism as blasphemy and the ones who only have criticism of everything both come out after a loss.

That doesn't mean the vast majority are either extreme.
There are a lot of people that just read and I have no idea if they are extreme or not, but they are probably the majority. There exists takes from time to time that are hard to explain, but all forums have that. I don't think this forum is bad at all. I enjoy it and post a lot since I think it generally has some good insight. I also don't think Matt is above criticism, but some of the criticism lacks support and are leaps in faith of what some think would happen if...

Purdue has a much greater chance of losing in the tourney than winning it as does any team against the field. If and when that happens you will see the usual leaps in faith that had Matt did something different, the opposite result would happen and that is stupid. None of us know inside a game what each player may be expected to do or how to play D. We don't know who screws up the timing of sets should that happen. We also get myopic and focused on what we think we see relative to a player that may be incorrect and lastly we look at individual stats as a measure of who should play inside the team and how long, but there are soooooooooo many things not measured by stats that are important and the +/- has it's many errors as well. Bottom line...people consider their view the correct one whether it stands up to scrutiny or not and then feelings get hurt and personal attacks elevate. This is to be expected due to human nature, but it still is what happens in ALL forums...this being no different

Noticed what defensive problems Morton and Jones on the court together presented for R. Virtually shut them down in H1.

I think everybody that sees the game in a less emotional place (after it is over) always sees things a bit more clearly...maybe not all, but more...
Because the kids are gone and we don't have nearly as much going on, I have officially converted my wife over to a Purdue fan. Fist she did not like Smith, her opinion has now changed. Now she is on Fletch and yes, watching the game for a second time really helps. Not sure how long she is going to watch each game twice, but I am loving it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT