ADVERTISEMENT

Loyer...has the B10 figured him out?

Boiler Buck

All-American
Mar 11, 2010
11 games now with single digit scoring. Has the B10 figured him out?

Some time ago, in the past has comes back strong after these single digit games. But now in the B10 has had 3 times where he has back to back single digit games. And so far no 20+ pt games like the couple he had in preseason, although close vs iu, then again that's iu.

So he has had 2 bad games again. Look for him to score big next game......unless the B10 has his number. Hoping for a Loyer break out in the next game.

Last edited:
My personal opinion:

If Loyer was looking to score more, he would

However, in the current offense, alot of players, but especially him, are content to pass up a wide open 3 for a potential Edey dunk. They are pass first. By the time they do a quick scan for a Edey, the defense has caught up for a contested shot.

There is even hesitation most times he drives to the hoop, which lets the defense collapse more and he gets his pocket picked or his shot blocked. Especially because he needs to bulk up a bit.

Teams also know that Loyer is our best shooter outside of Braden and Zach. And some teams have seemed to be content letting Braden and Zach get theirs and shut down everyone else and try to beat two guys. When you have Gillis in, its not as much of an issue, but when TKR and Edey are basically clogging the lane, it's easier to have one guy kinda on Jones and someone always on Loyer.

I don't break down film, but I felt last night Loyer has just always having a guy in his face. Whereas Braden and Edey got theirs. Jones only gets as many shots as he does, because there isn't a shot he doesn't like. lol

My personal opinion:

However, in the current offense, alot of players, but especially him, are content to pass up a wide open 3 for a potential Edey dunk. They are pass first. By the time they do a quick scan for a Edey, the defense has caught up for a contested shot.

There is even hesitation most times he drives to the hoop, which lets the defense collapse more and he gets his pocket picked or his shot blocked. Especially because he needs to bulk up a bit.

Teams also know that Loyer is our best shooter outside of Braden and Zach. And some teams have seemed to be content letting Braden and Zach get theirs and shut down everyone else and try to beat two guys. When you have Gillis in, its not as much of an issue, but when TKR and Edey are basically clogging the lane, it's easier to have one guy kinda on Jones and someone always on Loyer.

I don't break down film, but I felt last night Loyer has just always having a guy in his face. Whereas Braden and Edey got theirs. Jones only gets as many shots as he does, because there isn't a shot he doesn't like. lol

Good point. He sure isn't a shoot first guy and looks to pass, unless wide open

My personal opinion:

Jones can pretty easily create shots off the dribble with his quickness, power, change of direction, and ball handling.

Sometimes they aren’t the greatest shots, but he seems to be making better decisions in that regard as the year goes on.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
I think Loyer's knee might not be 100%. If he is not 100% that is going to have a big impact on his scoring ability. I think he will be fine but needs to get healthy. Hoping he has a good game on Sunday. We need him to be a scoring threat moving forward.

I think Loyer's knee might not be 100%. If he is not 100% that is going to have a big impact on his scoring ability. I think he will be fine but needs to get healthy. Hoping he has a good game on Sunday. We need him to be a scoring threat moving forward.
Well if his knee hurts, he should not be driving the lane into the middle of nowhere. Lately, most of those have resulted in TO’s or uncomfortable passes to teammates. I hope he regains his shooting stroke from distance soon. To get to the F4, that is most certainly needed.

Reactions: Boiler Buck

Had not heard reports of his knee being anything? I know he dinged it when CMP kept starters in so long that past game. But that did not seem to be much, and hadn't heard anyone say it was.

11 games now with single digit scoring. Has the B10 figured him out?

Some time ago, in the past has comes back strong after these single digit games. But now in the B10 has had 3 times where he has back to back single digit games. And so far no 20+ pt games like the couple he had in preseason, although close vs iu, then again that's iu.

So he has had 2 bad games again. Look for him to score big next game......unless the B10 has his number. Hoping for a Loyer break out in the next game.
Biggest issue IMO with Big Ten defenders for Fletch is that if refs allow defenders to be really physical with him on drives he struggles. From my perspective he was getting fouled taking it to the hole last night and didn't get any calls (correction, I think he got one). He's just not physical enough to be able to absorb that contact and finish if he's not getting calls.

Biggest issue IMO with Big Ten defenders for Fletch is that if refs allow defenders to be really physical with him on drives he struggles. From my perspective he was getting fouled taking it to the hole last night and didn't get any calls (correction, I think he got one). He's just not physical enough to be able to absorb that contact and finish if he's not getting calls.
Agree with that. I think B10 coaches know the refs allow it and Loyer gets manhandled every game. Just doesn't have the muscle and strength to handle contact.

Reactions: northside100
Agree with that. I think B10 coaches know the refs allow it and Loyer gets manhandled every game. Just doesn't have the muscle and strength to handle contact.
I was surprised that he is hitting 42% of his three point shots. His shot looks flat to me. If he put more air under it like Gillis, I wonder if his percentage would improve?

I was surprised that he is hitting 42% of his three point shots. His shot looks flat to me. If he put more air under it like Gillis, I wonder if his percentage would improve?
42% doesn't surprise me. He is a great shooter. Sometimes streaky, but with experience, knows that and is selective on shooting when off.

Reactions: Schnelk
My personal opinion:

The only way you stop Zach is to load up the lane or have outstanding perimeter D on the ball and front him and nobody has had all that. The only way you stop Braden is to pack the lane to prevent the drive and have a taller athletic defender on him on the perimeter. Either leaves open the perimeter shot for Fletch, Lance and Mason primarily and why defending Purdue is so tough and why coaches want the refs to allow their team to maul Zach so they can cover the others better.

The last couple of games Lance has hunted a few shots and hope he reels that in a bit while still being aggressive, but not driving into a crowd without an opening. Of the three (lance, braden&Fletch) fletch is the least likely to drive effectively although he does sometimes and so they get into him a bit. The absolute biggest concern I have for the team at this time is Zach's FT shooting. Trey doesn't shoot as much and is a concern, but Zach's FT shooting affects the game more IMO. Look at Myles and recall when he would get up a LOT of shots in a short time and now he is not hunting shots...more improvement and growth that can be seen in Myles

Reactions: Schnelk and SKYDOG

Tend to agree here - he took it a couple of times early with no success and looked a little flustered. The other thing I noticed is that sometimes (not always) when he gets a good early look and makes it - he can get really going. Conversely, if he misses, sometimes he goes the other way - had one early on the break last night....just not his night. The capper was that foul with Garcia......got trampled essentially and when Garcia fell after knocking him down, Fletch gets whisled for it.

Teams do focus on him - watch some of the off ball action if you can......coverage sometimes limits that.

Hopefully, we see a good game from him in Columbus - he should have good vibes there after last year's game. Purdue needs him down the stretch.

Reactions: SKYDOG and tjreese
I was trying to follow you a bit, but was confused with the above. I don't understand "it's easier to have one guy kinda on Jones" instead of a man ON Jones. Purdue has seen VERY, very, very few digs on Zach from a perimeter defender for fear of the 1,2 and 3 players hitting a shot.

they let the bumping go on during the dribble making him off balance and difficult to get where he wants to get and even if not fouled during shooting he is off balanced many times.

they let the bumping go on during the dribble making him off balance and difficult to get where he wants to get and even if not fouled during shooting he is off balanced many times.

He did get the one bump call (Christie) for and one @ 12-5 Purdue.

Then, he missed the FT. :(

Reactions: tjreese
Tend to agree here - he took it a couple of times early with no success and looked a little flustered. The other thing I noticed is that sometimes (not always) when he gets a good early look and makes it - he can get really going. Conversely, if he misses, sometimes he goes the other way - had one early on the break last night....just not his night. The capper was that foul with Garcia......got trampled essentially and when Garcia fell after knocking him down, Fletch gets whisled for it.

Teams do focus on him - watch some of the off ball action if you can......coverage sometimes limits that.

Hopefully, we see a good game from him in Columbus - he should have good vibes there after last year's game. Purdue needs him down the stretch.
This should be a great game to get the attention to go into Columbus. Last night there was a lot of screen the screener around the blocks with Braden and Fletch and maybe Lance but can't recall anything specifically for lance. Prior to the game as I wrote somewhere??? ;) Fletch was struggling with his shot. FWIW, Purdue doesn't depend on Cam for his shooting, but if you just look at his form his balance hand many times goes forward with a bit more two handed shot. Hope he works on that over the summer as he has LOT of potential and will play next year a lot

Loyer is a liability with the huge amount of mins he is getting at the moment. Whatever is keeping him from growing/playing better, I'm sure CMP is figuring it out...but he is a minus on defense and makes too many poor choices on offense with lazy passes and the like.

We are going to need him in the post season especially, I hope he can figure it out.

The capper was that foul with Garcia......got trampled essentially and when Garcia fell after knocking him down, Fletch gets whisled for it.
I thought there were some really poor calls last night and the Garcia call was the worst of it. He completely disposed of Fletcher and then tripped over him. I honestly don't know how the ref missed it, must have been looking the other way and then just saw Garcia fall.

100%, most of the contact was before the act of shooting

I thought there were some really poor calls last night and the Garcia call was the worst of it. He completely disposed of Fletcher and then tripped over him. I honestly don't know how the ref missed it, must have been looking the other way and then just saw Garcia fall.

Lamont Simpson and Brian Dorsey are not a good combination (for any conference game let alone with Purdue), and I'll leave it at that.

They were horrible. Good preparation for the NCAA. Still don't see the "holding with arms around players and no call" that seems to be a bit common in the Big East games that Butler is in...both by Buter (Marquette) and against Butler (Villanova)

Lamont Simpson and Brian Dorsey are not a good combination (for any conference game let alone with Purdue), and I'll leave it at that.
This has probably been posted elsewhere, but was the first foul on Zach (offensive foul posting up) legit? I'm a homer and I didn't go back and rewatch, but watching it live it looked to me like Zach was holding the defender off with his left arm, which he's allowed to do, the defender was trying to be very physical and wasn't strong enough to hold up. I though it was complete bs live but I could be wrong.

Last edited:
This has probably been posted elsewhere, but was the first foul on Zach (offensive foul posting up) legit? I'm a homer and I didn't go back and rewatch, but watching it live it looked to me like Zach was holding the defender off with his left arm, which he's allowed to do, the defender was trying to be very physical and wasn't strong enough to hold up. I though it was complete bs live but I could be wrong.
his 2nd foul was absolute BS as he had position for a charge call, but he also got away w/ an over the back no call in the 2nd half where I was expecting a whistle ( even Robbie mentioned that could have been an over the back on Edey), chalk it up to win some lose some

Reactions: SKYDOG
Mason's stoke is beautiful!!!!

Yes it is just shy of perfect

A true Boilermaker......yes, keeping the fire going. :)

200w.gif

Yes it is just shy of perfect
I have to give a LOT of credit to Mason on working on his shooting. He has progressed from simply spotting up to now coming off screens or just on the move and setting his feet quicker. This was not an over the night success. It actually started towards the end of two years ago.

BTW, last week I typed a comment about Caleb working on his "right" hand jump hook before the game and last night he hit one. I'd like more skill elsewhere as well, but if he can use either hand when overplayed inside...that too would be huge for him.

that foul on Loyer where Garcia took him on Shake Down Street was the worst call of the game

I have to give a LOT of credit to Mason on working on his shooting. He has progressed from simply spotting up to now coming off screens or just on the move and setting his feet quicker. This was not an over the night success. It actually started towards the end of two years ago.

BTW, last week I typed a comment about Caleb working on his "right" hand jump hook before the game and last night he hit one. I'd like more skill elsewhere as well, but if he can use either hand when overplayed inside...that too would be huge for him.
totally agree w/ this post, Furst has to do whatever to make his game better or diverse, he only has a little more than a year to go. Mason has really worked on his shot as far as not being a stationary shooter

Reactions: rjmpu82 and tjreese
I was hoping Loyer would dedicate considerable time in the weight room during the offseason…but his physique looks similar to last year.

Let's not throw Fletch under the bus as we will need his shooting like we will need Morton's defense. The foul on Dawson still has me perplexed.

Loyer is a liability with the huge amount of mins he is getting at the moment. Whatever is keeping him from growing/playing better, I'm sure CMP is figuring it out...but he is a minus on defense and makes too many poor choices on offense with lazy passes and the like.

We are going to need him in the post season especially, I hope he can figure it out.
I have to vehemently disagree with this. Loyer is not a liability with the minutes he is getting. How quickly we forget he had 19 points and was our second leading scorer in the win at IU. Sure, I would like to see him be more consistent, but I think his minutes are about right. Looking at the replay of the Loyer injury against IU. It didn't look like a ding but more of a pulled something. I think he will be alright, or he probably would have missed the game last night. As far as the foul calls; (The refs were absolutely awful - imo) I have a question: With the hook and hold take down of Edey by Wilson; what in the world does it take to get a Flagrant 2 anyway? That was about as unsportsmanlike a play as you will ever see.

I was hoping Loyer would dedicate considerable time in the weight room during the offseason…but his physique looks similar to last year.
I mentioned this at the beginning of the year, you can see guys like Smith and Barnhizer developed their physique, but some on here said he doesn't have the frame or he did add some?

Reactions: seminolesboilers
I have to vehemently disagree with this. Loyer is not a liability with the minutes he is getting. How quickly we forget he had 19 points and was our second leading scorer in the win at IU. Sure, I would like to see him be more consistent, but I think his minutes are about right. Looking at the replay of the Loyer injury against IU. It didn't look like a ding but more of a pulled something. I think he will be alright, or he probably would have missed the game last night. As far as the foul calls; (The refs were absolutely awful - imo) I have a question: With the hook and hold take down of Edey by Wilson; what in the world does it take to get a Flagrant 2 anyway? That was about as unsportsmanlike a play as you will ever see.
I did notice after the game when going thru post game congrats Edey and Wilson hugged and exchanged a few pleasantries w/ Zach smiling

*** As far as the foul calls; (The refs were absolutely awful - imo) I have a question: With the hook and hold take down of Edey by Wilson; what in the world does it take to get a Flagrant 2 anyway? That was about as unsportsmanlike a play as you will ever see.

Here's an example of what it supposedly takes - latest one from the conference - Langborg for NW @ Rutgers the other night.

https://www.foxsports.com/watch/fmc-y8uczwtqyuoe8c46

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT