ADVERTISEMENT

Does Loyer start for next year's team?

Edey. He's significantly stronger and better conditioned.

I don't think anyone is expecting Loyer to become jacked or super athletic, but he gets ragdolled out there more than any player I've seen in a long time. I don't think it's crazy to put on ten pounds of muscle and at least reach Smith levels of ability to fight throw contact.
Look at E Hunter. He came in skinny, left skinny. Never put in any mass. Some of it might be genetics.

Kramer came in pretty solid out of HS where he was a good sized QB.
Loyer might be a gym rat, but probably not a weight room rat.
Kramer did, but still left jacked. JJ on the other hand, stayed skinny.

I'd say Hummel to an extent gained muscle and yes.. I know I am digging far back, but it's for a reason... basically.. there has been a program to get stronger, but some do and some don't..... and some do but don't APPEAR to have gotten stronger either.

Genetics, body structure and the whole thing I would assume impacts .. well.. everything. If we were all the same, we'd all be jacked :)

Reactions: bonefish1

I'd say Hummel to an extent gained muscle and yes.. I know I am digging far back, but it's for a reason... basically.. there has been a program to get stronger, but some do and some don't..... and some do but don't APPEAR to have gotten stronger either.

Genetics, body structure and the whole thing I would assume impacts .. well.. everything. If we were all the same, we'd all be jacked :)
Again, no one has said anything about Loyer needing to be "jacked."

Today’s high schools have very intensive and extensive conditioning and training programs. And the vast majority of high school athletes take advantage of these programs. The days of college players adding a lot of weight by redshirting or taking supplements and hitting the weight room are mostly behind us. Unless the player has a growth spurt, what you see is what you get. Look at Alan Iverson. Did he ever gain any weight?
Trevion Williams says hello

Reactions: BoilerAndy
I'm also not sold that some of Loyer going to the ground isn't an attempt to get a foul.. not all no.. but some.
It's not just his flopping. It's his inability to get a shot off with any kind of defensive attention and his trouble playing through contact.

If you wanna neutralize Loyer, you just get physical with him. He's the only player on the team you can say that about. Smith struggles with defensive pressure but he doesn't disappear because of it usually.

Loyer adding enough strength to play through contact and physical attention isn't asking him to jack up or do something physically impossible.

Reactions: Schnelk

I agree. People saying Loyer needs to get stronger, quicker, more athletic, etc., it’s all true but my point being, that rarely happens. Especially the athleticism part.

Reactions: BBG
Again, no one has said anything about Loyer needing to be "jacked."
Well that wasn't really the point of my comment. The context is getting stronger and throwing in "being jacked" is just a subset of that.

Fletch is clearly taking over Morton's fan whipping boy role and it's okay, we have one every class/year.

I have little doubt that Painter knows things are not going to be remotely the same as it was and will adjust accordingly with the players he has and Loyer I have little doubt will be starting until it's proven he doesn't need to.

I mean we haven't even gone through the summer and any changes that he/Painter end up doing and we're already making gross assumptions when anything can happen the next few months.

Reactions: Schnelk
Well that wasn't really the point of my comment. The context is getting stronger and throwing in "being jacked" is just a subset of that.

Fletch is clearly taking over Morton's fan whipping boy role and it's okay, we have one every class/year.

I have little doubt that Painter knows things are not going to be remotely the same as it was and will adjust accordingly with the players he has and Loyer I have little doubt will be starting until it's proven he doesn't need to.

I mean we haven't even gone through the summer and any changes that he/Painter end up doing and we're already making gross assumptions when anything can happen the next few months.
And that's what this is about, defending Loyer. Saying he needs to improve on something doesn't make him a whipping boy. Saying it's not guaranteed he starts the next two years doesn't make him a whipping boy.

Speculating who may or may not start or what folks might need to improve on are pretty typical things one does on a sports message board during the off season.

No one is saying Loyer sucks. Or he should be benched. Or transfer. THAT would be "fan whipping."

Saying Loyer needs to improve how he deals with physicality or he might have a hard time holding off talented younger players is not.

I have no doubt Painter has discussed each player's needs to improve, and I am not thinking it's crazy to think the discussion with Loyer involved getting stronger and better able to play against and with physicality.

Just like I'm sure he's told Colvin he needs to continue to get better on defense or Heide needs to be more assertive on offense.

I can't think of a player who's come into the program and really changed himself physically (Biggie was already on the weight loss program long before Purdue).
Recently, maybe Gillis, Furst, maybe Edey some.
Lot of skinny guys remained skinny.
Yes definitely Gillis and Edey. There's also Rowinski and a lot of guys in between.

Trevion Williams says hello
Carsen Edwards was 5-10, 165 lbs when he committed to Purdue. His body made a huge change from his freshman to sophomore year. Then he was even bigger his junior year.

I would say most players gain weight and muscle. So far, Loyer may be an outlier, which is why people are talking about him.

Reactions: BoilerDaddy
Carsen Edwards was 5-10, 165 lbs when he committed to Purdue. His body made a huge change from his freshman to sophomore year. Then he was even bigger his junior year.

I would say most players gain weight and muscle. So far, Loyer may be an outlier, which is why people are talking about him.
The idea that players can't change their bodies or that somehow that's only something that happened in the 80s or with overweight kids is crazy.

I don't understand those that make blanket statements like "Loyer will be a starter as long as he is at PU". He was Honorable Mention B1G this past season. How is he not someone that could be passed by others? We're not talking about Smith.

I think he's a day one starter next season, but after that, we'll see.

Great example. Vince, Trey (twice), Dakota. Plenty of examples. I think Fletcher has actually gained 10 pounds from high school but he still looks like a paper boy and gets tossed around. When you have Robbie Hummel calling out that a guy needs to transform his body to take the next step it's probably a warranted observation.

I don't understand those that make blanket statements like "Loyer will be a starter as long as he is at PU". He was Honorable Mention B1G this past season. How is he not someone that could be passed by others? We're not talking about Smith.

I think he's a day one starter next season, but after that, we'll see.
Bingo

Came skeletal and left skinny? Great post, I think it's easy to assume that unless a guy is jacked they haven't made progress.
Yep. He definitely added muscle and got stronger. Most players do. Even Trevion (you mentioned above) lost weight but gained muscle. Takes a lot of work in the off-season, and if Loyer didn't get the message after his freshman year, I'm certain he got it this year. Everyone is debating whether he starts, but I think it will depend on how he spends the off-season. It's his to lose. It really is up to him, because he has a big head start on all of the newcomers.

• Love
Reactions: northside100
You don’t have to have a traditional post for a great shooter to be valuable. Just look at 2019 with Ryan Cline.

I agree with those that say that Loyer isn’t guaranteed to keep his starting job, but I certainly wouldn’t bet against him. I think about the leap that some players before him, like Dakota Mathias, made in their junior years and see no reason why Loyer can’t come back better on both ends of the court.

As has been consistently shown over the last 2 years, Loyer has a hard time on the offensive and defensive side of the ball when he goes up against athletic and stronger guards. He would definitely benefit from additional muscle in the weight room. However, I don't know if that solves the problem or not.

When he squares his shoulders, gets set and fires his shot, he can definitely be deadly from 3. However, last night showed again, when he drives to the basket, shoots off balance shots or floaters, or tries to create that this does not work for him. He is too slow to guard quick guards, and he really help us with rebounding (Smith probably out rebounds him 4 or 5 to 1 and he is 4 inches shorter).

He does have 2 years of experience, but with the more athletic guards, plus Heide and Colvin getting some experience this year, does Loyer even start for next year's team or will he be more of a 6th or 7th man on that team?
I'll just point out that the Arizona and Tennessee game disproves this. Going into those games, some people were were saying the same things. I agree with most of the rest of this post.

You don’t have to have a traditional post for a great shooter to be valuable. Just look at 2019 with Ryan Cline.

I agree with those that say that Loyer isn’t guaranteed to keep his starting job, but I certainly wouldn’t bet against him. I think about the leap that some players before him, like Dakota Mathias, made in their junior years and see no reason why Loyer can’t come back better on both ends of the court.
I agree Loyer can retain the starting role. I also think that there’s a fairly significant chance that he gets displaced. Competition is increased and I believe the ceiling of those he’s competing with is likely higher. That being said, there’s something to be said for competitive spirit, high IQ, and playing experience which Fletch possesses. The other thing that factors in is roster makeup and positions other contributors are capable of playing. I think with the talent both already on the team as well as incoming class bodes well for all. Competition will hopefully lead to bigger leaps in ability and drive to improve in their quest for playing time and starting roles resulting in increased team success.
My hot take is that at some point during the season Fletch will lose the starting role and others will cut into his playing time. He’ll settle in at about 20ish minutes per game.

I agree Loyer can retain the starting role. I also think that there’s a fairly significant chance that he gets displaced. Competition is increased and I believe the ceiling of those he’s competing with is likely higher. That being said, there’s something to be said for competitive spirit, high IQ, and playing experience which Fletch possesses. The other thing that factors in is roster makeup and positions other contributors are capable of playing. I think with the talent both already on the team as well as incoming class bodes well for all. Competition will hopefully lead to bigger leaps in ability and drive to improve in their quest for playing time and starting roles resulting in increased team success.
My hot take is that at some point during the season Fletch will lose the starting role and others will cut into his playing time. He’ll settle in at about 20ish minutes per game.
Painter doesn't like to change line-ups unless the team loses. After this record-breaking year for wins, I expect he'll have more opportunities to experiment.

Reactions: BBG
I see Loyer starting out the season as the starter but I also see 5 players wanting that spot and being very capable in that spot.

I see so much talent on this team that I only see smith as a surety. Tkr could play the 5 or 4. Catchings could play the 4 or 3. Heide could play the 4 or 3. We have 5 players who could play the 5.

Rather than worrying about if Myles or Harris beat out Loyer, I’m more interested in seeing who starts at the 3. I’d love to see Catchings start at the 3 with Tkr at the 4

He certainly can retain his spot, but it's also almost certainly going to require improvement on his part.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT