ADVERTISEMENT

Loyer is a problem

Yes… he is a problem right now.

In the last 3 games, loyer has played a combined 76 minutes ., taken 18 shots and Missed 16 of them!while .committing. 8 fouls..I hope he can turn that around just as quickly as he fell into this horror show. but if he keeps putting up numbers like that while Smith and Zach combine for 9 turnovers like they did in Columbus, the season isn’t going to end well.

Am I saying bench him? No.

You have to see if he's going to have one of his hot games.

But once it becomes clear, as it has the last three games where he's been 1-5, 1-5 and 1-7, that he isn't bringing anything on offense then Painter has to be willing to give him less time and put in other players like Heide or Colvin or more Gillis.

Because he's not just not providing much anywhere else, not rebounding, not assists, not ball handling, not defense, he's actively hurting us.

Again, start him and tell him to shoot, but once he's clearly not hitting, there just haven't been a lot of games in his career where he's gotten hot after a cold start, and Painter has to be willing to go somewhere else.

Jones has shot poorly to start too but the difference is he HAS shown he can get hit later in the game and he at least provides defense.

We have more problems than Loyer. I'm not putting it all on him, but he's too inconsistent on offense and too bad on defense to get as much leash as he gets.
Am I saying bench him? No.

You have to see if he's going to have one of his hot games.

But once it becomes clear, as it has the last three games where he's been 1-5, 1-5 and 1-7, that he isn't bringing anything on offense then Painter has to be willing to give him less time and put in other players like Heide or Colvin or more Gillis.

Because he's not just not providing much anywhere else, not rebounding, not assists, not ball handling, not defense, he's actively hurting us.

Again, start him and tell him to shoot, but once he's clearly not hitting, there just haven't been a lot of games in his career where he's gotten hot after a cold start, and Painter has to be willing to go somewhere else.

Jones has shot poorly to start too but the difference is he HAS shown he can get hit later in the game and he at least provides defense.

We have more problems than Loyer. I'm not putting it all on him, but he's too inconsistent on offense and too bad on defense to get as much leash as he gets.
Loyer and Jones need more designed open looks! They can knock shots down when they are squared up!!

We must've played against a bunch of terrible coaches this year then, eh?
No, they play fine versus established coaches, but struggle for some reason with the newbies, thus the Introduction manual comment. I obviously was not clear enough.

Someone on another thread said something about putting Colvin in for these situations. I agree. They are both similarly bad on defense but at least Colvin has the potential to get hot.
One point when Colvin was guarding Thornton, he used his size and strength to force him off his spot and made him retreat and pass the ball out. He actually gets down in his defensive stance now. He just needs to anticipate a little more and not be caught flat footed. Use that size as an advantage.

I’ll say it again but we need to run sets for him and Cam to get them involved. Instead of having them stand in the corner, have them sprinting around the court, going in and around folks to get open. Make the defense work. I wouldn’t mind setting a play where we can get them a handoff going down hill toward the rim. Just something.

That’s who I’d put in, if Loyer isn’t hitting. He was open a few times today but we didn’t look for him.

You can’t have Morton and Furst in the game at the same time.
Hopefully they catch that incorrect that in watching film. I saw at least one instance where he was wide open on the wing for three and Braden just didn’t pass it to him. Other than just getting him experience why would you have him out there if you’re not going to get him the ball

Someone on another thread said something about putting Colvin in for these situations. I agree. They are both similarly bad on defense but at least Colvin has the potential to get hot.
What have you seen with Colvin that makes you believe he's anything but a liability the way he's played this year? No defense, weak screens, out of control shots most of the time.....

What have you seen with Colvin that makes you believe he's anything but a liability the way he's played this year? No defense, weak screens, out of control shots most of the time.....
He’s hitting 44% from 3. He can be as out of control as he wants if he’s anywhere near that number. Especially when Loyer is shooting 1-7 and also playing bad defense.

You're 0-3 on this one.

His defense by everyone's accounts, has gotten better. To say he plays no defense is flat wrong.

Weak screens? No idea where that comes from.

Out of control shots? Once again, completely wrong. He hasn't taken any shots the last 2 games he has played and he's shooting 44% from 3 on the year. Please give me as many of those "out of control" shots as possible!!

This was just a strange take by you.

Painter used Colvin against IU, and then gave him a shot in a competitive game against Minnesota. He came in in the 1st half against the Gophers and they took over the game. Coincidence? Maybe, but I doubt the coach thinks so.

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
You're 0-3 on this one.

His defense by everyone's accounts, has gotten better. To say he plays no defense is flat wrong. His defense could get better and still suck swampwater. And not everyone believes it's better as you state. Several on here agree with me.

Weak screens? No idea where that comes from. He attempted one screen and looked like a fish out of water. He simply is not ready for prime time.

Out of control shots? Once again, completely wrong. He hasn't taken any shots the last 2 games he has played and he's shooting 44% from 3 on the year. Please give me as many of those "out of control" shots as possible!! He scored most of his points in the first six non conference games save nine against a horrible Michigan team. He has more turnovers than assists, and he's given up more points than he's scored when in the games.

This was just a strange take by you. Not really if you look at the entire package. He hasn't played well against any team better than Jacksonville where he played his most minutes (17) in a 100 to 55 blowout. In that game he was 2-6 from beyond the arc. For him to get more playing time right now probably isn't going to happen

Painter used Colvin against IU, and then gave him a shot in a competitive game against Minnesota. He came in in the 1st half against the Gophers and they took over the game. Coincidence? Maybe, but I doubt the coach thinks so.
Wasn't he in for the last few minutes of the first half against O$U?

I think Rosevelt must have taken Twins lunch money from him! Geezus you have an unhealthy hate for Myles. Maybe you've been watching too much of your beloved hoosiers. It's tainted your ability to be objective when talking about a good team.

Must be Loyer’s brother who is always defending him. I think everyone on this board hopes and wishes Loyer the best . We need him and everyone to get where we want to go. But let’s be real, he hasn’t played well except a few games this year. Way too inconsistent with his shot taking and needs to quit trying to drive to the hole. Definitely needs a pull up like Smith has

Reactions: 02BoilerUp
Wasn't he in for the last few minutes of the first half against O$U?
Yes, and again, during a big run for the opponent. He was standing wide open for 3 a few times and didn't get it and that's all that's really been talked about. But Painter tried it in the first half 2 games in a row and disaster ensued. I seriously doubt he's going to start getting more minutes now.

Yes, and again, during a big run for the opponent. He was standing wide open for 3 a few times and didn't get it and that's all that's really been talked about. But Painter tried it in the first half 2 games in a row and disaster ensued. I seriously doubt he's going to start getting more minutes now.
that run was mostly due to Edey not being in

I think Rosevelt must have taken Twins lunch money from him! Geezus you have an unhealthy hate for Myles. Maybe you've been watching too much of your beloved hoosiers. It's tainted your ability to be objective when talking about a good team.
No hate. He's not worthy of playing expanded minutes right now. And my objectivity is based purely on facts. And I fully support that good team. If CMP had faith in Myles like you do, he'd play him more minutes, which have by the way, gone down the longer the season goes on which should tell everyone that Myles progress has not improved.

No hate. He's not worthy of playing expanded minutes right now. And my objectivity is based purely on facts. And I fully support that good team. If CMP had faith in Myles like you do, he'd play him more minutes, which have by the way, gone down the longer the season goes on which should tell everyone that Myles progress has not improved.
Actually, he has played more the past few games. He went through a stretch of games where he DNP. So by your own admission, that must mean that CMP feels he can contribute. Otherwise why would he play him now after not playing for so many games??

I don't agree with everything CMP does, but I'm pretty confident in saying he only plays guys that he feels can contribute. The fact that Myles has played the past couple of games would suggest just the opposite of what you said above.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Actually, he has played more the past few games. He went through a stretch of games where he DNP. So by your own admission, that must mean that CMP feels he can contribute. Otherwise why would he play him now after not playing for so many games??

I don't agree with everything CMP does, but I'm pretty confident in saying he only plays guys that he feels can contribute. The fact that Myles has played the past couple of games would suggest just the opposite of what you said above.
Not necessarily. Maybe he's giving him time to prove himself or he has even less confidence in the other bench guys. The point is, Myles has done nothing in the time given.

Must be Loyer’s brother who is always defending him. I think everyone on this board hopes and wishes Loyer the best . We need him and everyone to get where we want to go. But let’s be real, he hasn’t played well except a few games this year. Way too inconsistent with his shot taking and needs to quit trying to drive to the hole. Definitely needs a pull up like Smith has
Nope, not h is brother.

Try someone who can get their own shot off?
Cam can’t get his own shot so the only solution is Myles. If you are in the camp of anything, different is better, I can see why you’d want to go that direction. I personally feel like you have to rebound and play defense in addition offense in order to win games. I like that Myles is getting minutes, but he needs to significantly improve.

Cam can’t get his own shot so the only solution is Myles. If you are in the camp of anything, different is better, I can see why you’d want to go that direction. I personally feel like you have to rebound and play defense in addition offense in order to win games. I like that Myles is getting minutes, but he needs to significantly improve.
Loyer got 1 rebound and played poor defense, while shooting 1-7. Don’t see how we can do much worse trying Myles.

Loyer got 1 rebound and played poor defense, while shooting 1-7. Don’t see how we can do much worse trying Myles.
Understood. I generally disagree with the 'can't do much worse' view but understand it. BTW, MP commented in his radio show that he thought after watching the tape that Fletcher generally played well against OSU on defense. Not saying he's right, but thought it was interesting.

Side note, just my opinion, but a guard can have a good or bad rebounding game without it being reflected in their rebounding count by either being in the right rebounding position and boxing out or failing on those counts. Those are my bigger concerns with Myles' rebounding.

Understood. I generally disagree with the 'can't do much worse' view but understand it. BTW, MP commented in his radio show that he thought after watching the tape that Fletcher generally played well against OSU on defense. Not saying he's right, but thought it was interesting.

Side note, just my opinion, but a guard can have a good or bad rebounding game without it being reflected in their rebounding count by either being in the right rebounding position and boxing out or failing on those counts. Those are my bigger concerns with Myles' rebounding.
And I have no idea if running some stuff for Myles would have helped. But if he comes in and knocks down 2 or 3 triples like he did in Maui…

I guess the question is . Why is Braden ignoring him ? He was wiiiiide open twice and Braden tries a pass into double or triple coverage

• Sad
Reactions: Boiler Buck
Heide needs to start at the 3 , would give us a better rebounder than Loyer , better defender and at this point better shooter

Be careful, I said there is a good chance that Fletcher doesnt start next year with Harris and Catchings coming in and another year of Heidi and I got told I dont know what I am talking about from people who...well probably dont know what they are talking about.

Future NBA talent will always find its way into starting lineup. Scottie Barnes and Dion Waiters are the exception, and I realize they will be just freshman, but tallent is coming and right now Loyer has been a weak spot in our starting lineup, especially on defense. When Loyer isnt shooting he really isnt contributing much overall. I am not rooting against him, but I have eyes and watch the games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT