ADVERTISEMENT

Loyer...has the B10 figured him out?

I think he's just struggling right now. Obviously don't know if he has an injury but his shot is flat. His FT's are flat which normally means leg injury or just fatigue...

I have to give a LOT of credit to Mason on working on his shooting. He has progressed from simply spotting up to now coming off screens or just on the move and setting his feet quicker. This was not an over the night success. It actually started towards the end of two years ago.

BTW, last week I typed a comment about Caleb working on his "right" hand jump hook before the game and last night he hit one. I'd like more skill elsewhere as well, but if he can use either hand when overplayed inside...that too would be huge for him.
Just finished watching the game and Matt even mentioned Mason shooting more on the move after the game . FWIW, it didn't have to take a couple of years to be effective doing that

I was hoping Loyer would dedicate considerable time in the weight room during the offseason…but his physique looks similar to last year.
Agree. While in fairness to Fletcher he's now listed at 180 versus his high school listing of 165 and I have no idea how much his weight room numbers have improved, he really gets thrown around and pushed off balance when opponents are allowed to be physical with him. Continuing to add muscle and strength seems like the next logical step for him.

I suspect he'll never be a 200 pound plus guy but it seems within the realm of possibility to follow a Ryan Cline type trajectory where Ryan went from 170 in high school to 195 his senior year at Purdue. I don't remember Ryan getting thrown around the same way that Fletch seems to.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
if you look on the slo mo replay, Langborg's elbow hits the navel area but of course the RU guy has to sell cracked nuts
I will never feel bad for Chris Collins and his NU teams, any time they get screwed it's just things coming back around, but totally agree with you here. That's intentional and a flagrant 1, IMO, but it doesn't look to me like he's trying to hurt the kid, just aggressively clearing space. The flagrant 1 on the Rutgers kid to me absolutely should have been a flagrant 2 as the only purpose of what he did there was to try to inflict inventory.

Glad to see NU take the loss but another example of poor and uneven officiating.

I believe Loyer should pull up for the jump shot instead of trying to drive to the basket. He doesn’t have the strength to take it to the hole. Also agree Jones hasn’t found a shot he doesn’t like, when he runs the point almost assured he is looking for his own shot first. Also agree Loyer’s shot looks flat but who cares if he makes them. We need Loyer to help stretch the floor so let’s hope he gets more consistent

I will never feel bad for Chris Collins and his NU teams, any time they get screwed it's just things coming back around, but totally agree with you here. That's intentional and a flagrant 1, IMO, but it doesn't look to me like he's trying to hurt the kid, just aggressively clearing space. The flagrant 1 on the Rutgers kid to me absolutely should have been a flagrant 2 as the only purpose of what he did there was to try to inflict inventory.

Glad to see NU take the loss but another example of poor and uneven officiating.
don't care for NW neither but RU is lower on my dislike list

Northwestern and Rutgers stretch the rules and put the onus on the officials. Knowing they won’t call all the fouls their way of mucking up the game and gaining an competitive edge

Reactions: northside100
I have to vehemently disagree with this. Loyer is not a liability with the minutes he is getting. How quickly we forget he had 19 points and was our second leading scorer in the win at IU. Sure, I would like to see him be more consistent, but I think his minutes are about right. Looking at the replay of the Loyer injury against IU. It didn't look like a ding but more of a pulled something. I think he will be alright, or he probably would have missed the game last night. As far as the foul calls; (The refs were absolutely awful - imo) I have a question: With the hook and hold take down of Edey by Wilson; what in the world does it take to get a Flagrant 2 anyway? That was about as unsportsmanlike a play as you will ever see.
LOLOLOLOLOL

11 games now with single digit scoring. Has the B10 figured him out?

Some time ago, in the past has comes back strong after these single digit games. But now in the B10 has had 3 times where he has back to back single digit games. And so far no 20+ pt games like the couple he had in preseason, although close vs iu, then again that's iu.

So he has had 2 bad games again. Look for him to score big next game......unless the B10 has his number. Hoping for a Loyer break out in the next game.
Did Loyer lift a single weight in the off-season? He has the build of a middle school kid and just gets bullied.

Did Loyer lift a single weight in the off-season? He has the build of a middle school kid and just gets bullied.

Weights are not his problem.

Standing around on offense, and not working hard to get open is. He has become an easy guard.

In a CMP offense famous for "Move".....he seems to be allowed by coaches to stand around and watch

Reactions: 02BoilerUp
Weights are not his problem.

Standing around on offense, and not working hard to get open is. He has become an easy guard.

In a CMP offense famous for "Move".....he seems to be allowed by coaches to stand around and watch
This isn't the same offense from 10 years ago. And not moving on offense doesn't have anything to do with him not be able to get through screens or bullied to the basket.

This isn't the same offense from 10 years ago. And not moving on offense doesn't have anything to do with him not be able to get through screens or bullied to the basket.

Yes more PnR.

But you have the admit he is standing around watching. It's easy to see. Not alot of movement without the ball.

Loyer makes some of the worst entry passes I have seen at any level of play.

The timing, angle, height, etc or all of the above with his passing is just so abysmal. His entire game is reduced to taking wide open threes (if just wide open) or driving for a weak soft floater. Zzzz.

Painter is not benching nor limiting his boy. He will die with Loyer for some reason we can’t imagine. We all see the need to get a more physical player at the 3 spot but apparently Painer has his blinders on.

Loyer makes some of the worst entry passes I have seen at any level of play.

The timing, angle, height, etc or all of the above with his passing is just so abysmal. His entire game is reduced to taking wide open threes (if just wide open) or driving for a weak soft floater. Zzzz.
Were you saying “zzz” during the Tennessee or Arizona games ?

Reactions: Poprudy
Probably.
Just stop it. The kid can flat out play. Yes, does he need to be aggressive 100% of time....sure, but he's good. He plays well against good/great competition. I'm not sure why he tends to take games off, but so does half this team. They need to be gritty every single possession and/or game... including Zach and Braden.

Yes more PnR.

But you have the admit he is standing around watching. It's easy to see. Not alot of movement without the ball.
I am not an X's and O's guy so what I say here may be completely wrong, but I tend to agree that it looks like we're at times relying too heavily on PnR and when that breaks down or is taken away we struggle.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
I am not an X's and O's guy so what I say here may be completely wrong, but I tend to agree that it looks like we're at times relying too heavily on PnR and when that breaks down or is taken away we struggle.
also like this past sunday where it took too long to get into the O, where Smith was just dribbling out by half court then wait too long to get into sets, too often Edey gets it w/ 5 secs to go and the D knows he has to do something and they collapse on him

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT