ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue vs. Gophers tonight!! How do you see it playing out?

Woodsa

Redshirt Freshman
Jul 18, 2004
Purdue will be favored in the remaining B10 games given their #2 ranking. However, no game is a gimmie within the B10 and each team presents their own strengths and weaknesses that Purdue will need to exploit while playing their game to win out.

Minny has some pretty good guards (still think Battle is kicking himself for leaving to OSU). I can see Purdue being tested again at the 1-3 to ensure the team is able to keep Minny off balance in the 1-3 positions.

Purdue: 79
Minny: 68

I doubt the -16.5 will be covered. I expect a good game from both teams. Minny needs a high profile win.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roeder
The Gophers can be streaky and play tough. I think this is one we get out to an early lead but expect them to keep it closer than any Vegas line is predicting.

Their guards are good and can be a handful when they are connecting. Garcia is playing really well too. Curious how we guard them on the perimeter and force tough shots. Can’t have miscommunications on defense and leave guys wide open.

Think we extend late to win 87 72

Other than the obvious win, 3 things I'm looking for.....

1. Zach hitting 75% from FT line, hopefully he turned the corner against IU. Edey converting at a high rate can make Purdue nearly unbeatable IMO.

2. Bench play. It would be nice to have Heide, Colvin, or Furst have a breakout game off the bench. Will need someone other than Gillis to be consistent threat heading into March. Maybe it's a Heide game against his home state school?

3. Has defense improved since NW, or are IU and Wisconsin just playing that bad? We know this team can score, but would be nice to see them keep getting better on the defensive side of the ball.

1. Zach hitting 75% from FT line, hopefully he turned the corner against IU. Edey converting at a high rate can make Purdue nearly unbeatable IMO.

2. Bench play. It would be nice to have Heide, Colvin, or Furst have a breakout game off the bench. Will need someone other than Gillis to be consistent threat heading into March. Maybe it's a Heide game against his home state school?

3. Has defense improved since NW, or are IU and Wisconsin just playing that bad? We know this team can score, but would be nice to see them keep getting better on the defensive side of the ball.
Yes, defense remains an opportunity for improvement for Purdue. Intensity and rest will dictate Purdue's defensive abilities.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Garcia had a groin pull/lower back problem in their loss a few days a go at Iowa and those things can flair up again at any time. He sat out the last 16 minutes as Iowa came back from 20 down to win. He is able to step out that will cause some concern for us if he is hitting. That said, I have watched Minnesota play 5-6 times and they have some surprising talent that has blended well this year. They get hot in streaks from the 3. I do think if Garcia has to sit with fouls or the groin/back issue, they will be very thin in Zachland. Already a challenge, but 10-fold then. They are 2-4 on the road, and they never played a road game until the B10 schedule started.

Here is the Minnesota StarTribune game title from 5 hours ago:

The Gophers must face Purdue's inside force, Zach Edey, with Dawson Garcia likely questionable and the team coming off a collapse at Iowa.

Go Boilers!

The only teams who've been able to stay within double digits of us in Mackey are Illinois and NW. And they both had to shoot better than 47% from three to do that.

Boilers Roll!
And I suppose on a wild night, Minnesota could do the 3 point shuffle, but I don't see it happening here tonight, especially if Zach starts fouling bodies out.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChoiceBeef

what would constitute a break out game from Furst?

With as many double-digit wins the last few years, our food science staff should come up with the "Boilers Roll". I'm torn between a dinner roll or dessert role (i.e., cinnamon roll).

Maybe a two variation of the base roll. Then, get a backers partner and bamb, Purdue serves up "Boilers Rolls" throughout the week.

Purdue will be favored in the remaining B10 games given their #2 ranking. However, no game is a gimmie within the B10 and each team presents their own strengths and weaknesses that Purdue will need to exploit while playing their game to win out.

Minny has some pretty good guards (still think Battle is kicking himself for leaving to OSU). I can see Purdue being tested again at the 1-3 to ensure the team is able to keep Minny off balance in the 1-3 positions.

Purdue: 79
Minny: 68
I see Purdue winning with Minny covering the spread.

With as many double-digit wins the last few years, our food science staff should come up with the "Boilers Roll". I'm torn between a dinner roll or dessert role (i.e., cinnamon roll).

Maybe a two variation of the base roll. Then, get a backers partner and bamb, Purdue serves up "Boilers Rolls" throughout the week.
Maybe it is a BoilerMaker sweet roll. Dough has beer in it and bourbon nut filling

Agree on all points, especially #3.

caddyshack-bill-murray.gif

Haven't watched the Gophers much, so this will all be new to me.

Minnesota is much better than expected, but their overall profile is remarkably thin. They're #88 in the NET and #76 in Ken Pom, solidly in NIT territory. They"re #93 in offensive efficiency and #62 in defensive efficiency (Ken Pom). They're just 2-4 on the road (wins @Michigan and Penn State). They've played only 5 Q1 games all year thanks to a very soft non-conference schedule (#326) and are just 1-4. They are 5-3 v. Q2. They pushed Wisconsin to the very end in The Barn.

On paper Purdue looks like a far superior team. A result similar to the Indiana game looks possible if Purdue comes out sharp and focused.

If Garcia is out or even hampered, just don't see Minny keeping it close for long.

This Minnesota team was down by 21 points to IU last month late in the 2nd half before losing by a dozen.

I don't think it's particularly close tonight.

Minnesota 79
Purdue 83

I've learned over the past 6-7 years to never underestimate a matchup in NCAA basketball. "Any given night" and Minny has been playing well in spurts lately. Obviously this should probably be a 20+ point win but I see a little hangover from the dream night of curb-stomping Indiana, free chicken and Zach Threedy.

anything-can-happen-was-not-was.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: rgarlitz
what would constitute a break out game from Furst?
Not much this year, 10 points? Something to show us a pulse going into the home stretch. I'm really pulling for the kid. I know it must be tough to be out of the rotation for likely the first time in his life.

Got to put more points on the Gophers than IU, otherwise, people may think that Purdue doesn't like IU.

Minnesota 79
Purdue 83

I've learned over the past 6-7 years to never underestimate a matchup in NCAA basketball. "Any given night" and Minny has been playing well in spurts lately. Obviously this should probably be a 20+ point win but I see a little hangover from the dream night of curb-stomping Indiana, free chicken and Zach Threedy.

anything-can-happen-was-not-was.gif
Well, you called it--almost exactly. Well done, good sir.

There have been plenty of crazy Purdue/Minnesota games over the years.

I totally agree, glad for the kid and looked comfortable at the 5

Also had some really good defensive possessions in the second half....good sign to me that he was ready to play when called given that he's been the odd man out on minutes like TKR was last year, as Painter puts it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT