ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue SWEEPS Indiana in MBB and Football, again.

Woodsa

Redshirt Freshman
Jul 18, 2004
Now that we have quietly put little brother back into the closet under the stairs by dominating them in both football and basketball, again, we can move on to focus on the next set of goals...B10 Basketball conference Title, again. Followed by B10 Tourney win, again. While great and all, it is really all amounts to "preseason" and prepares Purdue for what lies ahead in March--when the season begins. Which IU won't participate in, again.

We played just ok.....and still stopped them. Like a preseason game talent wise for us, iu just isn't good.

Reactions: Dryfly88
I keep reading where Indiana has "more talent", but at what point is that not a true statement?

I will admit that they may have more kids with more "stars" next to their name, but that is less of an indicator of talent and more about marketing / recruiting. True talent plays to their abilities regardless of stars. At some point, talent has to step up and emerge on the court, displaying their influence at will against equal or better talent.

For Indiana, that simply has not happened on a consistent basis. So, they may have more stsrs next to their names but that does not translate to more talent, as evident by their sub-.500 B10 record (or non-cupcake games).

Okay, enough about little brother that we have dominated over that 10 years, we move on to conquer the B10.

May the love of Jesus be with each of you this approaching Valentines day.

I keep reading where Indiana has "more talent", but at what point is that not a true statement?

I will admit that they may have more kids with more "stars" next to their name, but that is less of an indicator of talent and more about marketing / recruiting. True talent plays to their abilities regardless of stars. At some point, talent has to step up and emerge on the court, displaying their influence at will against equal or better talent.

For Indiana, that simply has not happened on a consistent basis. So, they may have more stsrs next to their names but that does not translate to more talent, as evident by their sub-.500 B10 record (or non-cupcake games).

Okay, enough about little brother that we have dominated over that 10 years, we move on to conquer the B10.

Every year, it's the hoosiers who start the "we have more talent" talk. They think that more players with more stars means more wins.

Then something goes terribly wrong.

Yes, IU lives in the past and not the present, that is for sure. You can sum up their arguments in about three words:
  • No Banners
  • Women's BB team
  • 16 Seed / FDU
Its like trying to argue with a Liberal why their ideas are horrible and simple do not work. I apologize to any liberals on this board but if this comparison to IU helps "stop the woke" and brings you back to reality, then you can thank me later.

Yes, IU lives in the past and not the present, that is for sure. You can sum up their arguments in about three words:
  • No Banners
  • Women's BB team
  • 16 Seed / FDU
Its like trying to argue with a Liberal why their ideas are horrible and simple do not work. I apologize to any liberals on this board but if this comparison to IU helps "stop the woke" and brings you back to reality, then you can thank me later.
Please don’t ruin a fun thread with politics.

It's alright?

IU women's BB and Notre Dame FB are the current entertainment for Indinia fans. But do more than 22 fans show up for the women's games?
I don't know any Indiana fans that like ND football. Maybe that's more of a northern Indiana thing? Everyone knows North of Indy and South of Indy are two completely different worlds.

Indiana does have more talent. Problem is, Indiana doesn't have as good of a coach, talent that fits together very well or Zach Edey.

Not a single one. I know Notre Dame football fans. But they just don't care about basketball. But in Southern Indiana, Notre Dame fans are limited. Indiana, Purdue, Kentucky, Louisville are the flavors around here.
Wow. Must be IU fans north of Bloomington that are ND football fans then.

Covered an 18.5 pt spread. Yes played ok but…
We covered while spending the last 8-10 minutes of the game screwing around trying to get Edey a 3 and throw some crazy alley-oops. It was a reward for the starters where they could go out and have some fun because they put IU away early in the 2nd half. The final spread of 20 was plenty, but it was obvious from the way the game played out that we could've won by just about whatever we wanted.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Not a single one. I know Notre Dame football fans. But they just don't care about basketball. But in Southern Indiana, Notre Dame fans are limited. Indiana, Purdue, Kentucky, Louisville are the flavors around here.
ND fans are 'limited' wherever they are.

I don't know any Indiana fans that like ND football. Maybe that's more of a northern Indiana thing? Everyone knows North of Indy and South of Indy are two completely different worlds.
Well, Saturday night a car with an ND license plate pulls into the parking lot in front of me and 2 people with IU jackets get out and walk into Mackey. Kind of debunks your claim. We have all seen it over and over.

Reactions: Schnelk
Definitely need to get that women's basketball program back to where it was 15 years ago when competing for the B1G title and Sweet 16 or better was an annual expectation. I support Katie Geralds, but this year's senior-heavy team has really struggled against B1G competition.

Purdue has a couple of promising freshmen in Stevenson and Jones, but the rest of the roster is a question mark.

Apparently recruiting has improved under a new director. So maybe 1-2 years out.

Well, Saturday night a car with an ND license plate pulls into the parking lot in front of me and 2 people with IU jackets get out and walk into Mackey. Kind of debunks your claim. We have all seen it over and over.
Yup. I totally know those exact people and lied. It isn't like they could have come from somewhere nowhere near where I live or anything.

It's alright?

IU women's BB and Notre Dame FB are the current entertainment for Indinia fans. But do more than 22 fans show up for the women's games?
Sales are on an uptick in Bloomington for Indiana State clown pants.

• Haha
Reactions: Schnelk
  • No Banners
  • Women's BB team
  • 16 Seed / FDU
Not a lot of logic in proclaiming IU is a better basketball program than Purdue when they lose to Purdue head to head and lose to Purdue in conference championships or when playing the same competition. They only do better when not playing Purdue or not counting Big championships, but instead play desired teams at desired locations all different than those conference teams.

Matter of fact the last time the two teams actually played in the tourney Purdue won further supporting the illusion of IU having the better program.

Not a lot of logic in proclaiming IU is a better basketball program than Purdue when they lose to Purdue head to head and lose to Purdue in conference championships or when playing the same competition. They only do better when not playing Purdue or not counting Big championships, but instead play desired teams at desired locations all different than those conference teams.

Matter of fact the last time the two teams actually played in the tourney Purdue won further supporting the illusion of IU having the better program.
But TJ! They swept us last year and won 3 of 4 against our best teams in history! This is the golden age of Purdue basketball and Purdue can’t do anything in March!

March is the only thing that actually shows how good a team is (thats all they can hang onto because it’s the only thing Purdue doesn’t have consistently…even tho it’s been better the last 20 years). Apparently their 2012-2013 team wasn’t very good all year and was a failure because they were allergic to a 2-3 zone.

The “golden age” is still going on…and Purdue is 21-9 in the last 30 and 15-5 in the last 20 vs the “blue blood”. 😂 😂

Reactions: tjreese and Schnelk
But TJ! They swept us last year and won 3 of 4 against our best teams in history! This is the golden age of Purdue basketball and Purdue can’t do anything in March!

March is the only thing that actually shows how good a team is (thats all they can hang onto because it’s the only thing Purdue doesn’t have consistently…even tho it’s been better the last 20 years). Apparently their 2012-2013 team wasn’t very good all year and was a failure because they were allergic to a 2-3 zone.

The “golden age” is still going on…and Purdue is 21-9 in the last 30 and 15-5 in the last 20 vs the “blue blood”. 😂 😂
There is a certain level of "goodness" when maintaining that goodness for many weeks, not a couple like in the tourney. It is tough to win the league where you always have to be good and play on the other team's court. Naturally, without the Round Robin it isn't exactly the same due to scheduling differences, but you still have to be good over the long haul, not a couple of games.

Look at Wisconsin. They were ranked for many weeks and were quite good. Had that small stretch been a tourney, they too would have fared well, and yet today they are no longer ahead in the Big but have fallen to fourth. The coaches and players know how hard it is to win the league and BTT and both are very important to them. They also want to win the NCAA, but a loss in the tourney doesn't override the excellence portrayed over the long haul.

It is illogical to say IUs program has been better than Purdue's. Thankfully that kind of illogic doesn't happen in real life important events of testing claims. Still, Purdue fans feed IU when they choose a flash in the pan, hyper media over the logic of comparing head to head and comparative success against the same competition and that is the reality of the event no matter how much the media tells you.

This doesn't diminish the desire to win the tourney as the players want to win every game they are in, but comparing IU to Purdue basketball programs by elevating success against one set of competition that both do NOT play, and yet failure against the same competition and head to head is absent thought...even if grown by some Purdue fans

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
You must not know many Indiana fans outside of your neighborhood. Indy and just about everywhere else are full of the people I described. I know them in my family and in the workplace.

Just to guage your awareness, have you ever heard of the "reversable jacket" fans?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT