ADVERTISEMENT

Does Loyer start for next year's team?

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
As has been consistently shown over the last 2 years, Loyer has a hard time on the offensive and defensive side of the ball when he goes up against athletic and stronger guards. He would definitely benefit from additional muscle in the weight room. However, I don't know if that solves the problem or not.

When he squares his shoulders, gets set and fires his shot, he can definitely be deadly from 3. However, last night showed again, when he drives to the basket, shoots off balance shots or floaters, or tries to create that this does not work for him. He is too slow to guard quick guards, and he really help us with rebounding (Smith probably out rebounds him 4 or 5 to 1 and he is 4 inches shorter).

He does have 2 years of experience, but with the more athletic guards, plus Heide and Colvin getting some experience this year, does Loyer even start for next year's team or will he be more of a 6th or 7th man on that team?

As has been consistently shown over the last 2 years, Loyer has a hard time on the offensive and defensive side of the ball when he goes up against athletic and stronger guards. He would definitely benefit from additional muscle in the weight room. However, I don't know if that solves the problem or not.

When he squares his shoulders, gets set and fires his shot, he can definitely be deadly from 3. However, last night showed again, when he drives to the basket, shoots off balance shots or floaters, or tries to create that this does not work for him. He is too slow to guard quick guards, and he really help us with rebounding (Smith probably out rebounds him 4 or 5 to 1 and he is 4 inches shorter).

He does have 2 years of experience, but with the more athletic guards, plus Heide and Colvin getting some experience this year, does Loyer even start for next year's team or will he be more of a 6th or 7th man on that team?
Who knows? Is Harris, Colvin, Catchings or Heide good enough to replace him? Gotta replace Jones so one of those four does that. So one of the remaining three have to be better. Could happen. Could not.

If it does, then he probably transitions to a player off the bench who comes in to shoot threes as a microwave off the bench. If not, it might be because he simply has skills gap over the other three or because he dedicates himself to getting a little stronger and faster over the summer.

But I don't think we will know who this team is until January or February.

This now completed 23-24 season had the same starting 5 from the first game to the last. Any starting changes of the returning players will most likely result from the summer workouts and improvements. Game 1’s starting 5 will most likely be the same as the last game, barring any injuries. Rotation changes would be the variable.

This now completed 23-24 season had the same starting 5 from the first game to the last. Any starting changes of the returning players will most likely result from the summer workouts and improvements. Game 1’s starting 5 will most likely be the same as the last game, barring any injuries. Rotation changes would be the variable.
I agree, barring injuries. But Catchings could alter that with the fall months of practice.

Who knows? Is Harris, Colvin, Catchings or Heide good enough to replace him? Gotta replace Jones so one of those four does that. So one of the remaining three have to be better. Could happen. Could not.

If it does, then he probably transitions to a player off the bench who comes in to shoot threes as a microwave off the bench. If not, it might be because he simply has skills gap over the other three or because he dedicates himself to getting a little stronger and faster over the summer.

The minutes for the last 2 seasons have been earned, largely, by who played the best with Edey.

With Edey gone, the minutes calculus changes dramatically, IMO.

I am curious to see what happens with Loyer. Quite a few of us were convinced Morton wouldn't be rotated out of the starting lineup - but he was. I'm not convinced the alternatives are miles ahead of Loyer (which is a separate issue).

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
The minutes for the last 2 seasons have been earned, largely, by who played the best with Edey.

With Edey gone, the minutes calculus changes dramatically, IMO.
+1 - whole new team dynamic next season. Gonna need more scoring everywhere but 1.
I think there's a good chance we need Colvin (or other) to fill the role Castle did for ct.

I really hope not. Every time he penetrates to the basket I assume it's a turnover or bad shot. He is always out of control dribbling.

Once we know what kind of the offense we ae going to run with Edey gone I believe some starters may have to win a starting position and minutes. Once they are all here for the summer and start their workouts and scrimmages the cream always rises to top. What we know won't change is one has to play defense as an individual and in a team concept with Painter!

He's a spot up shooter. Not a creator. His creation come soff screens and penetration from others where it can get kicked out or from when Edey could kick it out. Obviously, no Edey next year so it's going to be a way different ball game for Purdue. He can start at the 2 or 3, but Purdue needs another playmaker to go along with Smith. A bigger playmaker if it could be found. You can win with 3 guys that are 6-0, 6-5 and a third that's under 6-5. Baylor won a title just a few years ago doing just that. But you gotta have at least two guys that can create for themselves. Itll be a totally different world more for Smith than Loyer though. Smiths game will have to change a ton.

Reactions: drewjin

Someone will have to prove that they are much better. Not just more athletic, stronger, and have a "higher ceiling". They will have to demonstrate to the coaching staff that they can grasp Purdue team offense and defense as well as, or better than, Loyer.

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
Unfortunately it probably won’t tell you a whole lot about your team whether he starts or not. When you look at this years team, people obviously thought they were pretty good, before UConn waxed the floor with them…and you might have been tempted to say fletch was ok, starting for a good team. All that was thrown out the window after Dan Hurley shoved your sh*t in.

And then of course, if he’s not starting , it doesn’t tell you anything, because you saw how pathetic he was Monday. So if you’re sitting around thinking Purdue must be pretty darn good if fletch isn’t starting, just remember…actually he’s god awful and probably shouldn’t be on a D1 roster to begin with.
Better than Galloway.

Reactions: A. Ness
Let's start with facts - he averaged almost 12pts/game before the championship game. He wasn't the only person who couldn't get an open look either. If he scores that average - this is a different game.

Does Fletch lack the strength of similar SGs - yes. He has to play smarter and diversify his game. Look at someone like Cam Spencer's game and build. Dude is crafty as hell and is patient. If Fletch can add 10-15lbs of muscle and add more elements to his game, I think he stays in a starter role. End of the day, his 2 years of starting will be hard for anyone to come in and supplant that experience.

The most likely person to supplant those minutes would be Colvin and I am sure Painter will give him a list of things he needs to improve this off-season to earn that role. I don't think Cam is a replacement at the 2 but more of a 3/4 hybrid depending on the lineups we settle in on.

Reactions: drewjin and Roeder

I like Loyer in that Cline/Sasha/ zone-buster roll off the bench
Definitely want him on my team, but we ideally need a much more athletic 2 guard that can do it all.

I could see him thriving in a 6th man role.
This.

Obviously, this depends on if/how well any of the other options pan out at the 2, but IMO Loyer is perfect coming off the bench as the change-of-pace /designated zone-buster, like Cline, Mathias or Sasha at their best....

It would be fantastic if we had the personnel to allow this.

Reactions: Schnelk
Let's start with facts - he averaged almost 12pts/game before the championship game. He wasn't the only person who couldn't get an open look either. If he scores that average - this is a different game.

Does Fletch lack the strength of similar SGs - yes. He has to play smarter and diversify his game. Look at someone like Cam Spencer's game and build. Dude is crafty as hell and is patient. If Fletch can add 10-15lbs of muscle and add more elements to his game, I think he stays in a starter role. End of the day, his 2 years of starting will be hard for anyone to come in and supplant that experience.

The most likely person to supplant those minutes would be Colvin and I am sure Painter will give him a list of things he needs to improve this off-season to earn that role. I don't think Cam is a replacement at the 2 but more of a 3/4 hybrid depending on the lineups we settle in on.
Cam definitely needs to get more minutes next season. Kid is a stud & may be most athletic player on the team. He made the 2 best plays of the season IMO with his up & under against Wisconsin at Mackey & his put back slam in the title game.

This sums it up in a nutshell perfectly.

When this season started, I was a bit shocked that he hadn't bulked up much more, or added a few more tools to his toolbox on the floor. Next year sans Edey, he will have to do both, and in big ways for him to truly develop individually and to help the team. Without Edey, he won't have near as many of those nice spot ups off of a kick out like he did this year.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Well ok. Just keep trotting Snoop-Scrawny-Bitch out there and let the bones fall where they may.
Hey! Don’t talk about Gabe Cupps that way! He’s going to be better than Braden Smith! Cupps will be first team all B1G, on the All American team, and break the single season assists record in the B1G! All he needs is 4 5 stars because he only had 41 assists with 3 of them!

He’s a coach’s son, high iq, hard worker! Just like Galloway! They both shoot so well, teams leave them wide open on purpose and they still miss!

Hahaha. You’ve been owned, string bean. Step aside now.
What?! No way! IU’s back court of Galloway, Leal and Cupps is superior to all other teams! The athleticism these 3 bring is off the charts! Leal and Cupps try so hard…Hard nose kids that embody IU! The rest of the B1G is very worried about Leal and Galloway coming back!

I mean they only got out scored by 30+ to UConn’s guards in the fifth game of the year …and they didn’t even have their lotto pick in Castle!

Now let’s go read those top 3 threads on your own board of Purdue, UK and Indiana St because all 3 of those teams are much more interesting than IU—even to your own board.

Unfortunately it probably won’t tell you a whole lot about your team whether he starts or not. When you look at this years team, people obviously thought they were pretty good, before UConn waxed the floor with them…and you might have been tempted to say fletch was ok, starting for a good team. All that was thrown out the window after Dan Hurley shoved your sh*t in.

And then of course, if he’s not starting , it doesn’t tell you anything, because you saw how pathetic he was Monday. So if you’re sitting around thinking Purdue must be pretty darn good if fletch isn’t starting, just remember…actually he’s god awful and probably shouldn’t be on a D1 roster to begin with.
Pathetic is little sister you not even making the NIT. Tell me Jethro, you have only 2 players on your roster and couldn't even pay players to stay, you loosiers going to be able to put 5 people on the floor?

You're a doormat program now. Get used to it.

piss off loosier. Come back when you MAKE the NCAA tourney.
Or nit.
or play in the finals of the big 10 tourney.
or contend. For something.
Or just piss off.
Why do so many loosiers seem obsessed with people doing the Bloomington Shuffle (ie: getting their sh*t shoved in)? hmmmm
Any psych majors here?

Keep on wishin loosier.

We'll be kicking your ass again soon enough.

And you'll have another shit season leading desperate idiots to post here on their rivals board that just swept them, won the league, again.
And made Final game.
But WE are delusional.............................. hahhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

• Haha
You’ve been owned , bud. You can move along now.
Owned? By who? You keep saying that but you don’t know what it means. Purdue has owned IU for the last 20 years…just like the rest of the B1G and NCAA. IU is no threat.

But No worries though, you can go look at your banners that are older than you and cuddle them and talk about the “good ol days”!

You should look at your banners too. Haha owned again.
Wasn’t alive for those as I’m under 40…so I’ve never seen IU ever be consistently good. So, hopefully, you saw one IU actually win one, but either way, youre pretty pathetic for setting up multiple burner accounts to do mental gymnastics in your head that you’re “owning” this board by using success from 40 years ago.

Cam definitely needs to get more minutes next season. Kid is a stud & may be most athletic player on the team. He made the 2 best plays of the season IMO with his up & under against Wisconsin at Mackey & his put back slam in the title game.
I thought it was Rutgers where he did the Jordan up and under? Regardless, kid can be a stud next year. Has to deepen his bag by getting dribble penetration to free up different shots. I know he will get baited into driving for dunks and taking cheap charging calls because the B1G loves calling those things.

This sums it up in a nutshell perfectly.

When this season started, I was a bit shocked that he hadn't bulked up much more, or added a few more tools to his toolbox on the floor. Next year sans Edey, he will have to do both, and in big ways for him to truly develop individually and to help the team. Without Edey, he won't have near as many of those nice spot ups off of a kick out like he did this year.
Was thinking about the bulking thing - some people just can't put on that type of muscle/build without sacrificing something else. I mean JaJuan never looked like he got bigger throughout his career but he certainly did.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT