ADVERTISEMENT

Does Loyer start for next year's team?

Probably yes. Unless Colvin's jump happens extremely quickly, any improvement by Colvin Painter would want to see in real gameplay first. He would obviously like to see how Loyer does without Edey and whatever improvement he makes as well.

So to start for sure, forever guaranteed? Sorry, that discounts players like Colvin and Harris or others even ability to leap him.

First isn't getting first or Furst dibs at starting. TKR is. One need only look at playing time this season. Furst barely played as the season went on. You rarely go from that to starting. Particularly when Catchings and TKR are almost guaranteed to start. And I'd say Heide and Smith are almost guaranteed to start. Smith is guaranteed . Loyer or Colvin taking the last spot.
To be fair, TKR went from not starting last year at 11 mins a game to starting this year.
So Furst could start (avg 9 this year) and then Catchings finish the game (like Gillis did a lot).

Not saying Furst will start but it happened last year with TKR

Probably yes. Unless Colvin's jump happens extremely quickly, any improvement by Colvin Painter would want to see in real gameplay first. He would obviously like to see how Loyer does without Edey and whatever improvement he makes as well.

So to start for sure, forever guaranteed? Sorry, that discounts players like Colvin and Harris or others even ability to leap him.

First isn't getting first or Furst dibs at starting. TKR is. One need only look at playing time this season. Furst barely played as the season went on. You rarely go from that to starting. Particularly when Catchings and TKR are almost guaranteed to start. And I'd say Heide and Smith are almost guaranteed to start. Smith is guaranteed . Loyer or Colvin taking the last spot.
And Furst will make a great doctor. He appears to have his priorities in order.

To be fair, TKR went from not starting last year at 11 mins a game to starting this year.
So Furst could start (avg 9 this year) and then Catchings finish the game (like Gillis did a lot).

Not saying Furst will start but it happened last year with TKR
Furst may have overall averaged that much but he certainly finished the season effectively only coming in with the end of the bench. TKR wasn't that low on the list.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
As has been consistently shown over the last 2 years, Loyer has a hard time on the offensive and defensive side of the ball when he goes up against athletic and stronger guards. He would definitely benefit from additional muscle in the weight room. However, I don't know if that solves the problem or not.

When he squares his shoulders, gets set and fires his shot, he can definitely be deadly from 3. However, last night showed again, when he drives to the basket, shoots off balance shots or floaters, or tries to create that this does not work for him. He is too slow to guard quick guards, and he really help us with rebounding (Smith probably out rebounds him 4 or 5 to 1 and he is 4 inches shorter).

He does have 2 years of experience, but with the more athletic guards, plus Heide and Colvin getting some experience this year, does Loyer even start for next year's team or will he be more of a 6th or 7th man on that team?
He’s going to be a Great Player. Watch what happens!

Why is it just Colvin or Loyer? Why can't they both start? I can't understand saying Heide is almost guaranteed to start but not Loyer. Maybe it's a battle between Heide and Catchings to start. Heide at the 4 is something we will see at least at times.
Heide is 6'8", decently athletic and jumps like a rabbit. Loyer is 6'4", not as athletic, very thin and weak and doesn't jump much. In 2 years he avgs less than 2 rebounds per game at 28 mpg.
What part of that gives you trouble comprehending?

We lose the best rebounder this school has ever seen. AND Mason Gillis with him. Together THEY set the tone and physical nature of Boiler basketball.
Our centers will likely be 2- 6'9" guys unless Berg can win the backup spot.
Going to need better rebounding from EVERY POSITION that isn't center and THAT is why (probably) not Colvin AND Loyer starting. Nor Heide at 4. Going to take Furst/TKR AND Heide up front probably. Hopefully Myles grows into a front line role next year and can help inside with his long arms and hops.
Fans that have grown accustomed to never getting beat up front are in for some eye opening and mind expanding times.

Reactions: Boiler8285
Heide is 6'8", decently athletic and jumps like a rabbit. Loyer is 6'4", not as athletic, very thin and weak and doesn't jump much. In 2 years he avgs less than 2 rebounds per game at 28 mpg.

We lose the best rebounder this school has ever seen. AND Mason Gillis with him. Together THEY set the tone and physical nature of Boiler basketball.
Going to need better rebounding from EVERY POSITION that isn't center and THAT is why (probably) not Colvin AND Loyer starting. Nor Heide at 4. Going to take Furst/TKR AND Heide up front probably. Hopefully Myles grows into a front line role next year and can help inside with his long arms and hops.
Fans that have grown accustomed to never getting beat up front are in for some eye opening and mind expanding times.
Oh brother, freakin spare me this nonsense. I’ve watched plenty of Purdue teams, I’m not 20.

Loyer is going to start for the duration of his career. That’s the way I see it, and it seems pretty clear to me. But hey, that’s just me. Like I told the other guy, let’s just see what happens.

Oh brother, freakin spare me this nonsense. I’ve watched plenty of Purdue teams, I’m not 20.

Loyer is going to start for the duration of his career. That’s the way I see it, and it seems pretty clear to me. But hey, that’s just me. Like I told the other guy, let’s just see what happens.
Why? What makes him so great that it's not possible for anyone else to improve over him?

He averages just over 11 a game. Great shooter albeit two mini slumps in two seasons. Not a particularly great rebounder, not great at driving or getting his own shot. Improving in defense but not great at it. I'd say he is a decent passer and I think he certainly understands the offense and he gives great effort. He's definitely not a strong or physical guy.

His shooting, hustle, understanding of the game and fairly consistent production guarantees him significant playing time the rest of his career. I'm just trying to understand why you're so locked into his being not just ahead of other players now, but the impossibility of anyone surpassing him in the next two years.

Late fall last season we had Gillis and Morton starting. Painter changed it up when players improved and passed and fit the best game plan. No one's guaranteed a starting slot two years from now except for Smith.

Why? What makes him so great that it's not possible for anyone else to improve over him?

He averages just over 11 a game. Great shooter albeit two mini slumps in two seasons. Not a particularly great rebounder, not great at driving or getting his own shot. Improving in defense but not great at it. I'd say he is a decent passer and I think he certainly understands the offense and he gives great effort. He's definitely not a strong or physical guy.

His shooting, hustle, understanding of the game and fairly consistent production guarantees him significant playing time the rest of his career. I'm just trying to understand why you're so locked into his being not just ahead of other players now, but the impossibility of anyone surpassing him in the next two years.

Late fall last season we had Gillis and Morton starting. Painter changed it up when players improved and passed and fit the best game plan. No one's guaranteed a starting slot two years from now except for Smith.
Let’s just see what happens. I’ll be here for you to tell me all about it if I’m wrong.

That Heide kid really has had a growth spurt since being recruited at 6-5" for most services.

Last edited:
Let’s just see what happens. I’ll be here for you to tell me all about it if I’m wrong.
I mean I'm just trying to understand your position. There's no right or wrong since I've already said both his starting and not starting are both possibilities.

I mean I'm just trying to understand your position. There's no right or wrong since I've already said both his starting and not starting are both possibilities.
Yeah but aren’t you like an attorney or something? Maybe even a JAG or something? I can’t give you a convincing argument lol

Yeah but aren’t you like an attorney or something? Maybe even a JAG or something? I can’t give you a convincing argument lol
Bud I'm just trying to understand your point. A conversation. You're taking it to either some sort of personal attack on Loyer or an argument with you. It's neither.

Most of Loyer’s shots were created by Zach drawing doubles. That’s over. Shot creation is now at a premium moving forward, and he doesn’t do that.

Most of Loyer’s shots were created by Zach drawing doubles. That’s over. Shot creation is now at a premium moving forward, and he doesn’t do that.
It's going to be just a far different offense IMO. Gone will be the dump into the post 3/4 of possessions. Instead we will have a more flowing offensive gameplan, with movement all over the court instead of playing out of the collapse on Zach. Think more about the Hummel/Johnson/Moore teams. Does that make things easier or harder for a guy like Fletch to get open? The novice would say harder, but I'm not so sure. Did Carsen Edwards get better shots with Haas or Haarms? Granted, he was a year older, but then again so will Loyer be.

It's going to be just a far different offense IMO. Gone will be the dump into the post 3/4 of possessions. Instead we will have a more flowing offensive gameplan, with movement all over the court instead of playing out of the collapse on Zach. Think more about the Hummel/Johnson/Moore teams. Does that make things easier or harder for a guy like Fletch to get open? The novice would say harder, but I'm not so sure. Did Carsen Edwards get better shots with Haas or Haarms? Granted, he was a year older, but then again so will Loyer be.
I don't think it's impossible for Loyer to adapt. But adapt he's going to have to in order to stay as a starter.

Reactions: Heads up BOILER
I don't think it's impossible for Loyer to adapt. But adapt he's going to have to in order to stay as a starter.
GIF by Star Wars

Reactions: Boiler Buck
I’ve never been a huge fan of the 3 guard offense Painter has run. I was never a huge fan of having Sasha or Cline in that 3 spot. I’d really love to fill the 3 spot with a 6’8 forward who can shoot. Maybe Catchings or Heide.

That would force Loyer to compete with Harris and Colvin for the starting spot at the 2.

Many people have said Painter will have to change his offense without Edey. I’m not so sure he will. I wouldn’t be surprised if he ran the exact same offense and he replaced Edey with Furst or Tkr or Jacobson and had them running the same plays he ran for Edey.

Next year will be interesting to watch. My money is on Catchings and Harris starting as freshmen much like smith and Loyer did And like Hummel and Moore did. Painter isn’t afraid to start freshmen.

Next year will be fun to watch. And this board will be full of speculation. At this point the fans like myself know just as much as the so called forum experts. We shall all see how it plays out!

Hmmm did I catch a comparison between Carsen Edward’s and Fletch? lol little similarities in their games and skills in my opinion so any comparison seems strange to me. I agree with what you’re saying in the post as a whole.

Hmmm did I catch a comparison between Carsen Edward’s and Fletch? lol little similarities in their games and skills in my opinion so any comparison seems strange to me. I agree with what you’re saying in the post as a whole.
Yeah I agree. Fletch doesn't have the shooting ability or get your shot off anywhere ability of Carsen, then again, who does?

Reactions: Schnelk
Since I know you’re in the industry, what odds would you put on Loyer being a 4 year starter at Purdue? I honestly don’t even expect you to put a number on that but it would seem likely, no? Thinking probabilistically Loyer starts every game of his career. Keeping in mind that this is college basketball and Purdue is not at this time buying starters in the portal.
Being in the industry has no bearing on this discussion.

• Haha
Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
All I'm talking about is the ability to get shots. Not comparing their skill-set at all.

Loyer is going to start for the duration of his career. That’s the way I see it, and it seems pretty clear to me. But hey, that’s just me. Like I told the other guy, let’s just see what happens
What part is nonsense?

Last edited:
This sums it up in a nutshell perfectly.

When this season started, I was a bit shocked that he hadn't bulked up much more, or added a few more tools to his toolbox on the floor. Next year sans Edey, he will have to do both, and in big ways for him to truly develop individually and to help the team. Without Edey, he won't have near as many of those nice spot ups off of a kick out like he did this year.
If you look at pictures of him as a freshman he is more solid now. You can see it in his face.
Not as 'scrawny' skinny. just not muscular like we'd all like to see. Some guys just don't get bulky no matter how much work they put in. He can be significantly stronger without getting bulkier, but i hope for his sake we can see more muscle there next season. The kid has the game and instincts and fight to give 2 years of paybacks IF his body catches up.

Last edited:
If you look at pictures of him as a freshman he is more solid now. You can see it in his face.
Not as 'scrawny' skinny. just not muscular like we'd all like to see. Some guys just don't get bulky no matter how much work they put in. He can be significantly stronger without getting bulkier, but i hope for his sake we can see more muscle there next season. The kid has the game and instincts and fight to give 2 years of paybacks IF his body catches up.
So he can show Catchings and Jacobsen around and they 3 are required to hit up each dining hall 3x a day for each meal to bulk up 😂

So he can show Catchings and Jacobsen around and they 3 are required to hit up each dining hall 3x a day for each meal to bulk up 😂
I was 135 when I went to Basic training. Sadly I was only like five pounds away from being required to get double rations 😋

a player can put on a few pounds of muscle, but athletically, there's not a whole lot them can do to improve. You either have it or you don't.
Loyer's been in the program for 2+ years but his body has changed very little. He's not going to gain 10 inches on his vertical or suddenly develop noticable increase in footspeed and develop the ability to finish at the rim against these bigger guards who give him trouble.

a player can put on a few pounds of muscle, but athletically, there's not a whole lot them can do to improve. You either have it or you don't.
Loyer's been in the program for 2+ years but his body has changed very little. He's not going to gain 10 inches on his vertical or suddenly develop noticable increase in footspeed and develop the ability to finish at the rim against these bigger guards who give him trouble.
Today’s high schools have very intensive and extensive conditioning and training programs. And the vast majority of high school athletes take advantage of these programs. The days of college players adding a lot of weight by redshirting or taking supplements and hitting the weight room are mostly behind us. Unless the player has a growth spurt, what you see is what you get. Look at Alan Iverson. Did he ever gain any weight?

Reactions: bonefish1
Today’s high schools have very intensive and extensive conditioning and training programs. And the vast majority of high school athletes take advantage of these programs. The days of college players adding a lot of weight by redshirting or taking supplements and hitting the weight room are mostly behind us. Unless the player has a growth spurt, what you see is what you get. Look at Alan Iverson. Did he ever gain any weight?
I can't think of a player who's come into the program and really changed himself physically (Biggie was already on the weight loss program long before Purdue).
Recently, maybe Gillis, Furst, maybe Edey some.
Lot of skinny guys remained skinny.

I was pretty confident Gillis or Furst would start over TKR this year and was wrong. I was pretty confident Lance Jones wouldn't start alongside Smith and Loyer and I was wrong. I was very confident that Purdue wouldn't start two true freshmen in the backcourt in 2022-23. I, once again, was wrong.

I'm just going to let it play out and realize that when there are as many variables at play as there are, my confidence in something happening this far in advance of what occurs is often wrong.
Same... I think we've seen Loyers ceiling & he has a role on this team. To say he's a starter for sure is crazy talk. We haven't seen Heide, Colvin or any of the freshman's ceiling yet. This is going to be a completely new team next year with Edey gone and those open looks from 3 will be much fewer. Someone on the team is going to need to create their own shot. Morton started last year & wasn't even in the rotation by the end of this season.

I can't think of a player who's come into the program and really changed himself physically (Biggie was already on the weight loss program long before Purdue).
I'd say Kramer did. He left pretty jacked.

I've been saying this for a few years now. We need guys to get stronger for sure.

Edey. He's significantly stronger and better conditioned.

I don't think anyone is expecting Loyer to become jacked or super athletic, but he gets ragdolled out there more than any player I've seen in a long time. I don't think it's crazy to put on ten pounds of muscle and at least reach Smith levels of ability to fight throw contact.

Swanigan is an example of a player who used Purdue’s conditioning and dietary counseling to lose weight.

Tre and Heide areexamples of players who used Purdue’s conditioning as part of physical therapy recovering from injuries.

Edey used Purdue’s conditioning program to lose weight weight and increase his mobility.

A lot of players have used Purdue’ strength and conditioning program to strengthen their body and improve their stamina and agility. But I’m at a loss to name a player who has used the program to actually gain a significant amount of weight .

Swanigan gained a lot of weight after he left Purdue but that was because he no longer cared about being in shape.

The one constant is that Painter will play the 5 players he believes will provide the best chance of winning. He replaced Hunter with smith and Loyer. If Harris or Myles or Heide proves he is better, painter will not be afraid to start them.

We saw it with Stephens. He was starting and then was benched. Then he decided to take time off. When he came back, he was no longer the starter. So he decided to leave. On the other hand, Furst, Tkr, Morton and Gillis even when their playing times were reduced. They placed the team and winning ahead of their individual desires.

And that’s what I see in Loyer’s future. I don’t see him gaining 50 pounds or being much stronger. He may continue to start. He may not. I see him as a shooter. He may play 30 minutes or 10. If he loses his job to Harris or Myles, he’ll continue to give it everything he has.

For those that love Myles or Harris, if they beat out Loyer and start , it will be because they earned that starting position. And the team will be even stronger.

Ivey worked his way into starting as did Smith, Moore, Loyer Hummel and Carsen. They each beat out a capable player and proved their worth.

I look forward to the competition!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT