ADVERTISEMENT

Does Loyer start for next year's team?

Someone will have to prove that they are much better. Not just more athletic, stronger, and have a "higher ceiling". They will have to demonstrate to the coaching staff that they can grasp Purdue team offense and defense as well as, or better than, Loyer.
I don't think that's a universal truth. Painter has shown before he'll play someone young who is just a bit behind an established veteran to start the season if he thinks he'll surpass him by season's end.

Loyer cannot stand pat and keep his starting spot. I'm gonna guess he knows that. He's been great but he's benefitted from the attention and open attempts Edey brings more than anyone else.

There's too much talent about to start their second season and coming in for him to keep his job without some improvements. Not saying he can't improve.

Was thinking about the bulking thing - some people just can't put on that type of muscle/build without sacrificing something else. I mean JaJuan never looked like he got bigger throughout his career but he certainly did.
Loyer isn't exactly quick, so adding some muscle and weight isn't really going to slow him down or take anything away.

As has been consistently shown over the last 2 years, Loyer has a hard time on the offensive and defensive side of the ball when he goes up against athletic and stronger guards. He would definitely benefit from additional muscle in the weight room. However, I don't know if that solves the problem or not.

When he squares his shoulders, gets set and fires his shot, he can definitely be deadly from 3. However, last night showed again, when he drives to the basket, shoots off balance shots or floaters, or tries to create that this does not work for him. He is too slow to guard quick guards, and he really help us with rebounding (Smith probably out rebounds him 4 or 5 to 1 and he is 4 inches shorter).

He does have 2 years of experience, but with the more athletic guards, plus Heide and Colvin getting some experience this year, does Loyer even start for next year's team or will he be more of a 6th or 7th man on that team?
Loyer will be an absolute STUD next year!!! He was a major key to many of our Big Wins!! Great things will happen! Looking forward to watching him play

But it doesn’t matter how old you are. You can’t look at your banners. No one can.

No person in existence has ever seen a Purdue men’s National title banner.

Haha and you don’t even understand that. Consider yourself owned bub.
“Owned” looooool. Cuz you said banners?

Soon enough no one will remember IU’s banners. Will be similar to Nebraska football and Minnesota football.

Reactions: drewjin
As long as our banners aren’t as old as Purdues consider yourself owned.

Oh yeah you don’t have any since the beginning of time. How stupid do you have to be to talk age of banners when you have none since the beginning of time.

Owned! Just like Junkyardshaft owned you!
Fried Rice Cooking GIF by Nigel Ng (Uncle Roger)

Someone will have to prove that they are much better. Not just more athletic, stronger, and have a "higher ceiling". They will have to demonstrate to the coaching staff that they can grasp Purdue team offense and defense as well as, or better than, Loyer.
He starts next year for the reasons you pointed out. Hard for me to believe any of the freshman are going to walk in and be able to replace him going into the season. Later in the year? We will see if anyone catches him.

Oh yeah you don’t have any since the beginning of time. How stupid do you have to be to talk age of banners when you have none since the beginning of time.

Yep so owned by the same person making 3 different accounts saying the same thing every time.

Looks like it’s Purdue who owns you if you take the time to make 3 different accounts and post the same thing over and over.

Rent free.

I was hoping you were gone for good, @HoosierfanJM, but here you are again, still desperate for attention.

Reactions: Schnelk and BBG
I think he's likely to start. Braden and TKR to me are definite starters, and the rest will be shaped by who lays well together. As others have said, taking out Edey changes the dynamic of the team considerably, and everyone is going to have to adjust. Cam and Colvin both deserve long looks as starters, and I think we may see one freshman starter.

As has been consistently shown over the last 2 years, Loyer has a hard time on the offensive and defensive side of the ball when he goes up against athletic and stronger guards. He would definitely benefit from additional muscle in the weight room. However, I don't know if that solves the problem or not.

When he squares his shoulders, gets set and fires his shot, he can definitely be deadly from 3. However, last night showed again, when he drives to the basket, shoots off balance shots or floaters, or tries to create that this does not work for him. He is too slow to guard quick guards, and he really help us with rebounding (Smith probably out rebounds him 4 or 5 to 1 and he is 4 inches shorter).

He does have 2 years of experience, but with the more athletic guards, plus Heide and Colvin getting some experience this year, does Loyer even start for next year's team or will he be more of a 6th or 7th man on that team?
He absolutely starts next year.

I think he's likely to start. Braden and TKR to me are definite starters, and the rest will be shaped by who lays well together. As others have said, taking out Edey changes the dynamic of the team considerably, and everyone is going to have to adjust. Cam and Colvin both deserve long looks as starters, and I think we may see one freshman starter.
Heide certainly deserves to start.

I thought it was Rutgers where he did the Jordan up and under? Regardless, kid can be a stud next year. Has to deepen his bag by getting dribble penetration to free up different shots. I know he will get baited into driving for dunks and taking cheap charging calls because the B1G loves calling those things.
You might be right… Rutgers

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Cam Spencer was brought up earlier and is a great career for Loyer to look at and learn from. Spencer was good at Loyola but as 5th year transfer at UConn he had taken it to a new level. Yea okay his numbers aren’t terribly different comparing when he was at Loyola to Rutgers to UConn, but the leagues and competition were different and he maintained a very important role and was more meaningfully impactful this year than any other.

If he does then hopefully it's because he comes back with his shoulders about a foot wider and not because Colvin couldn't beat him out.

Was thinking about the bulking thing - some people just can't put on that type of muscle/build without sacrificing something else. I mean JaJuan never looked like he got bigger throughout his career but he certainly did.
Agree, I doubt that Fletch ever looks overly muscular, but that doesn’t mean he can’t make significant gains. I think JJ gained something like 40 pounds while at Purdue and still looked skinny as heck.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I think that Loyer will continue to improve. He can improve his strength and explosiveness with focused training and I think he will. I saw Mathias and Cline and several others make significant improvements as defenders as upperclassmen and I think Loyer can as well. I also think that he can improve his midrange game.

I am pretty confident that Loyer will start, but I also think that his teammates will be given an opportunity to beat him out. Painter has proven that he will give the younger guys a shot and there will be a lot of guard/wing talent on next year’s team. Heide and Colvin are athletic shooters with huge upsides and the freshmen class seems to be pretty loaded. It’s possible that Loyer could be significantly improved and still be coming off the bench.

Reactions: Schmedly_Whiplash
Here we go again. Yes, of course Loyer is going to start. Smith, Loyer, TKR are locked in and 2 spots are up for grabs between Heide, Colvin, Catchings, and maybe even Furst.

Cam definitely needs to get more minutes next season. Kid is a stud & may be most athletic player on the team. He made the 2 best plays of the season IMO with his up & under against Wisconsin at Mackey & his put back slam in the title game.

I am excited to see what CH can do when he will be counted on. The 2 big plays forecasted his ability, but still only 4 pts. I am more excited how he and the other starters can work together so the team gets to an 85+ average.

Here we go again. Yes, of course Loyer is going to start. Smith, Loyer, TKR are locked in and 2 spots are up for grabs between Heide, Colvin, Catchings, and maybe even Furst.
Exactly, a 11 point scorer/2 year starter on a National Runner up team isn’t going to all of a sudden be on the bench on a team losing 2 starters including a guy that plays a position that Loyer sort of plays.

Reactions: HUD628 and BBG
Of course? No. Is he likely to start at the beginning of the season? Probably. Is he locked in if Harris comes in hot or Colvin take a leap like Smith did? Not remotely.

Catchings is very likely to start as a likely one and doner. TKR is almost assuredly starting. Smith is starting. Heide seems pretty likely to snag a spot and Colvin shoots as well as Loyer, it's his defense that has held him back and that's clearly improving. We haven't seen Harris yet although it's likely he follows a trajectory similar to Colvin, we don't know that yet.

No one's game benefited more from Edey opening things up than Loyer. Now, if he makes some improvements in his ability to play through contact and get his own shot then he most certainly can hold off the younger players. If he doesn't, those younger players absolutely could replace him.

I get folks really like the kid. He's a good kid and a good player. But he has limitations, and those limitations are where the players coming up excel at or have the athletic ability to excel at. He addresses them, it helps him. He doesn't, and yes, someone else can eventually take his spot. He's in now way guaranteed to start no matter what the rest of his career.

Exactly, a 11 point scorer/2 year starter on a National Runner up team isn’t going to all of a sudden be on the bench on a team losing 2 starters including a guy that plays a position that Loyer sort of plays.
He could if the following happens:

TKR, Catchings and Smith start.

Heide takes the 3.

Colvin has a similar leap in play to Smith.

If Colvin plays better defense, shoots similarly and rebounds better you don't start him over Loyer because?

Now, that's an if, not remotely a guarantee. But it's not a crazy if. It's quite possible. He already shoots as well, and we know he's quicker and more athletic. The issue is primarily defense and I suppose overall understanding of the game plan.

So if figures that out, then why would he sit over Loyer?

Reactions: Heads up BOILER
Of course? No. Is he likely to start at the beginning of the season? Probably. Is he locked in if Harris comes in hot or Colvin take a leap like Smith did? Not remotely.

Catchings is very likely to start as a likely one and doner. TKR is almost assuredly starting. Smith is starting. Heide seems pretty likely to snag a spot and Colvin shoots as well as Loyer, it's his defense that has held him back and that's clearly improving. We haven't seen Harris yet although it's likely he follows a trajectory similar to Colvin, we don't know that yet.

No one's game benefited more from Edey opening things up than Loyer. Now, if he makes some improvements in his ability to play through contact and get his own shot then he most certainly can hold off the younger players. If he doesn't, those younger players absolutely could replace him.

I get folks really like the kid. He's a good kid and a good player. But he has limitations, and those limitations are where the players coming up excel at or have the athletic ability to excel at. He addresses them, it helps him. He doesn't, and yes, someone else can eventually take his spot. He's in now way guaranteed to start no matter what the rest of his career.
Yes, of course. 4 year starter. Seems pretty obvious to me, but lots of you will have to see it to believe it. And you will.

Yes, of course. 4 year starter. Seems pretty obvious to me, but lots of you will have to see it to believe it. And you will.
Wow. I mean I've seen nothing to say he's a guaranteed four year starter. Could he be? Sure. If Colvin doesn't make improvements or Harris doesn't have the potential we all think he does.

Guaranteed? Not remotely. That's completely discounting the ability of other players to get better.

He could if the following happens:

TKR, Catchings and Smith start.

Heide takes the 3.

Colvin has a similar leap in play to Smith.

If Colvin plays better defense, shoots similarly and rebounds better you don't start him over Loyer because?

Now, that's an if, not remotely a guarantee. But it's not a crazy if. It's quite possible. He already shoots as well, and we know he's quicker and more athletic. The issue is primarily defense and I suppose overall understanding of the game plan.

So if figures that out, then why would he sit over Loyer?
At least early on Loyer is starting, wouldn’t you agree? I can actually see a scenario where Furst because he’s a Sr gets first dibs at the Center or 4 slot. Probably at some point during the year Catchings is a starter, when I don’t know.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
I was pretty confident Gillis or Furst would start over TKR this year and was wrong. I was pretty confident Lance Jones wouldn't start alongside Smith and Loyer and I was wrong. I was very confident that Purdue wouldn't start two true freshmen in the backcourt in 2022-23. I, once again, was wrong.

I'm just going to let it play out and realize that when there are as many variables at play as there are, my confidence in something happening this far in advance of what occurs is often wrong.

At least early on Loyer is starting, wouldn’t you agree? I can actually see a scenario where Furst because he’s a Sr gets first dibs at the Center or 4 slot. Probably at some point during the year Catchings is a starter, when I don’t know.
Probably yes. Unless Colvin's jump happens extremely quickly, any improvement by Colvin Painter would want to see in real gameplay first. He would obviously like to see how Loyer does without Edey and whatever improvement he makes as well.

So to start for sure, forever guaranteed? Sorry, that discounts players like Colvin and Harris or others even ability to leap him.

First isn't getting first or Furst dibs at starting. TKR is. One need only look at playing time this season. Furst barely played as the season went on. You rarely go from that to starting. Particularly when Catchings and TKR are almost guaranteed to start. And I'd say Heide and Smith are almost guaranteed to start. Smith is guaranteed . Loyer or Colvin taking the last spot.

I am curious to see what happens with Loyer. Quite a few of us were convinced Morton wouldn't be rotated out of the starting lineup - but he was. I'm not convinced the alternatives are miles ahead of Loyer (which is a separate issue).

Myles ahead? Catchings up?

I see what you guys did there? ;)

Joking aside, I agree

Its impossible to know if Loyer remains a starter. As been said Lance leaving opens up a spot, but there are 5 players for 2 spots as Smith isnt loosing his spot.

Loyer has the inside track because he has started for 2 years, but we have seen with Morton, starting one year doesnt mean Painter will start you the next.

We are losing arguably the best player in the history of Purdue Basketball, but our team will be deeper and more athletic next year with a very talented incoming freshman class.

We willl see.

Myles ahead? Catchings up?

I see what you guys did there? ;)

Joking aside, I agree

Its impossible to know if Loyer remains a starter. As been said Lance leaving opens up a spot, but there are 5 players for 2 spots as Smith isnt loosing his spot.

Loyer has the inside track because he has started for 2 years, but we have seen with Morton, starting one year doesnt mean Painter will start you the next.

We are losing arguably the best player in the history of Purdue Basketball, but our team will be deeper and more athletic next year with a very talented incoming freshman class.

We willl see.
And that's the thing. This team completely changes without Edey. So who starts and why they start may also change significantly as well.
We just don't know right now. Painter doesn't even know because he hasn't practiced with the team he will have. I'm sure he has an idea lol but that could easily change.

Morton and Furst started this season playing significant minutes, and then they stopped. Loyer lost a few minutes even I believe at the expense of Colvin getting more time.

Painter does make changes. And sometimes he makes them in season based on how it's going. Next year's team is going to be a fresh experiment if you will. So Painter may end up doing some tinkering. Even with starting lineups.

Probably yes. Unless Colvin's jump happens extremely quickly, any improvement by Colvin Painter would want to see in real gameplay first. He would obviously like to see how Loyer does without Edey and whatever improvement he makes as well.

So to start for sure, forever guaranteed? Sorry, that discounts players like Colvin and Harris or others even ability to leap him.

First isn't getting first or Furst dibs at starting. TKR is. One need only look at playing time this season. Furst barely played as the season went on. You rarely go from that to starting. Particularly when Catchings and TKR are almost guaranteed to start. And I'd say Heide and Smith are almost guaranteed to start. Smith is guaranteed . Loyer or Colvin taking the last spot.
Why is it just Colvin or Loyer? Why can't they both start? I can't understand saying Heide is almost guaranteed to start but not Loyer. Maybe it's a battle between Heide and Catchings to start. Heide at the 4 is something we will see at least at times.

Why is it just Colvin or Loyer? Why can't they both start? I can't understand saying Heide is almost guaranteed to start but not Loyer. Maybe it's a battle between Heide and Catchings to start. Heide at the 4 is something we will see at least at times.
I mean they could both start but that means one of Catchings or Heide don't start, and that would be surprising and probably not the best case scenario.

Loyer is going to start at the beginning of the season. My problem is your blanket declaration he starts all four seasons as if it's impossible for any other outcome.

CMP is going to have to figure out who plays best with who. Next season the only player that will get 30+ minutes / game may be Smith. That said, the 2nd team will need to jell together and be able to hold its own re: scoring, rebounding and defense.

I mean they could both start but that means one of Catchings or Heide don't start, and that would be surprising and probably not the best case scenario.

Loyer is going to start at the beginning of the season. My problem is your blanket declaration he starts all four seasons as if it's impossible for any other outcome.
What would be so surprising about one of Catchings or Heide not starting? You're just handing a starting role to a sophomore and/or RS sophomore who in reality have not done much or a true freshman who has done nothing over a player who has started every game over the best 2 year period we've ever seen.

Nothing is impossible, but the odds for Loyer to be a 4 year starter are really strong. It's just so clearly likely.

What would be so surprising about one of Catchings or Heide not starting? You're just handing a starting role to a sophomore and/or RS sophomore who in reality have not done much or a true freshman who has done nothing over a player who has started every game over the best 2 year period we've ever seen.

Nothing is impossible, but the odds for Loyer to be a 4 year starter are really strong. It's just so clearly likely.
Lol I didn't hand anything to anyone. But we only have five JR or above players left who could theoretically start so at least one sophomore or below is going to start.

And since Furst and Waddell are both unlikely to start, that means at least 2 spots are going to be "handed" to a frosh or soph.

So given that, yes I would be surprised if Catchings and Heide don't both start. Particularly since Loyer likely starts the season starting and Colvin is, to this point, behind Heide and Colvin definitely isn't starting at the four.

Next year's team is going to be completely different. So citing how the team did the last two years as if that 100 percent informs how things are going forward is beyond perplexing to me.

Loyer simply can't be the same player he's been. He will have to get better because the next iteration is going to be more like our 2019 iteration than the last two years version. If he adapts, he starts, if not he doesn't.

You've also in your certainty and defense of Loyer thrown other players into some weird you can't ever start going forward because someone started before you got here and you can't possibly improve past him.
Painter has never operated that way. He starts the best players each season. This is the first season in a long time the starting lineup stayed the same all season.

There's zero reason to believe that is the case next season. And the only player absolutely guaranteed a starting spot is Smith. Both because he's obviously really good, but also because we really don't have another point guard on the roster.

Lol I didn't hand anything to anyone. But we only have five JR or above players left who could theoretically start so at least one sophomore or below is going to start.

And since Furst and Waddell are both unlikely to start, that means at least 2 spots are going to be "handed" to a frosh or soph.

So given that, yes I would be surprised if Catchings and Heide don't both start. Particularly since Loyer likely starts the season starting and Colvin is, to this point, behind Heide and Colvin definitely isn't starting at the four.

Next year's team is going to be completely different. So citing how the team did the last two years as if that 100 percent informs how things are going forward is beyond perplexing to me.

Loyer simply can't be the same player he's been. He will have to get better because the next iteration is going to be more like our 2019 iteration than the last two years version. If he adapts, he starts, if not he doesn't.

You've also in your certainty and defense of Loyer thrown other players into some weird you can't ever start going forward because someone started before you got here and you can't possibly improve past him.
Painter has never operated that way. He starts the best players each season. This is the first season in a long time the starting lineup stayed the same all season.

There's zero reason to believe that is the case next season. And the only player absolutely guaranteed a starting spot is Smith. Both because he's obviously really good, but also because we really don't have another point guard on the roster.
Ok, let's just see what happens then.

-5000000 odds we are doing this again next year the first night Loyer goes 0-fer from 3 and someone else scores like 12 points lol

Ok, let's just see what happens then.

-5000000 odds we are doing this again next year the first night Loyer goes 0-fer from 3 and someone else scores like 12 points lol
Has nothing to do with criticism of Loyer having off shooting nights. Has to do with the team becoming something fairly different, as well as very talented players both coming in and getting better.

Neither you nor I know whether Colvin makes a leap similar to Smith. If he does, and if Heide and Catchings also start, then yeah Loyer may end up playing significant minutes with the second team.

Gillis played significant minutes without starting. Just because someone suggests someone else might end up starting doesn't equate to some slam on Loyer. Some talent players will not start when you have a talented team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT