ADVERTISEMENT

Loyer is a problem

qazplm

All-American
Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
Am I saying bench him? No.

You have to see if he's going to have one of his hot games.

But once it becomes clear, as it has the last three games where he's been 1-5, 1-5 and 1-7, that he isn't bringing anything on offense then Painter has to be willing to give him less time and put in other players like Heide or Colvin or more Gillis.

Because he's not just not providing much anywhere else, not rebounding, not assists, not ball handling, not defense, he's actively hurting us.

Again, start him and tell him to shoot, but once he's clearly not hitting, there just haven't been a lot of games in his career where he's gotten hot after a cold start, and Painter has to be willing to go somewhere else.

Jones has shot poorly to start too but the difference is he HAS shown he can get hit later in the game and he at least provides defense.

We have more problems than Loyer. I'm not putting it all on him, but he's too inconsistent on offense and too bad on defense to get as much leash as he gets.

But once it becomes clear, as it has the last three games where he's been 1-5, 1-5 and 1-7, that he isn't bringing anything on offense then Painter has to be willing to give him less time and put in other players like Heide or Colvin or more Gillis.

Because he's not just not providing much anywhere else, not rebounding, not assists, not ball handling, not defense, he's actively hurting us.

Again, start him and tell him to shoot, but once he's clearly not hitting, there just haven't been a lot of games in his career where he's gotten hot after a cold start, and Painter has to be willing to go somewhere else.

Jones has shot poorly to start too but the difference is he HAS shown he can get hit later in the game and he at least provides defense.

We have more problems than Loyer. I'm not putting it all on him, but he's too inconsistent on offense and too bad on defense to get as much leash as he gets.
I can't ever remember a game where he got hot after cold start. Maybe he has, but I'm not thinking of one. He either has it that day, or he doesn't that is for sure.

I can't ever remember a game where he got hot after cold start. Maybe he has, but I'm not thinking of one. He either has it that day, or he doesn't that is for sure.

It's seemingly the "Reverse Chally Principle" lately with Fletch.....when he gets that first really good look, if he misses it, it's like........oh no, nowhere today and no confidence. If he makes it, good game or better.

More to it naturally, but that's my hot curmudgeon take after a disappointing game.

Reactions: Dryfly88
It's seemingly the "Reverse Chally Principle" lately with Fletch.....when he gets that first really good look, if he misses it, it's like........oh no, nowhere today and no confidence. If he makes it, good game or better.

More to it naturally, but that's my hot curmudgeon take after a disappointing game.
I'm not a Loyer basher, but man, when he's "off" he is really off and just doesn't give much. I had hoped Colvin would give us something this year. That obviously isn't going to happen so we'll have to ride with what we have. Just have to hope we don't get bad Lance, Gillis and Loyer on the same day.....

Seems that he’s off way more than he’s on but when he’s on he wins games. I’m thinking of the Arizona game and the Tennessee game his shooting won those games. So you can’t bench him but the inconsistency is a problem. I remember him disappearing at the end of last year after having some good games early and now it seems he’s disappearing late into this season. Maybe his body can’t take the schedule which is why I’m for more minutes going to heide or Colvin.

Seems that he’s off way more than he’s on but when he’s on he wins games. I’m thinking of the Arizona game and the Tennessee game his shooting won those games. So you can’t bench him but the inconsistency is a problem.
Like I said, I'm not advocating benching. Give him his shot, but if second half comes and he's 1-7, then start giving someone else more minutes

IMO a bunch of tough, off balanced shots because he’s getting manhandled by the defense.

He’s shown he can make those shots but if he’s not getting open looks from three and is getting bodied when he drives and generally not getting calls it seems likely that he’s going to have a long day.

Overall agree that it’s a problem. Not sure what the solution is.

Agree. Do not understand the coaching when Loyer is clearly off....and still getting those minutes?? Has happened multiple times this year.

When the light switch is off, needs to be on bench because his D is at times average at best. And that's being generous.

Should start Colvin as a simple adjustment. Send a message to Loyer. Let Colvin shoot early. If he is making 3’s it will only help with freeing up the paint for Smith and Edey. Also allows teams to not double.

Loyer, Gillis, Furst off the bench. Cam is the 9 guy.

Keep Morton away from the floor. He not being any type of option on offense makes him unplayable. His defense is not good enough to make up for killing the offense.

To add, I don’t understand why his game recently is driving to the basket putting up floaters. Make him a spot up shooter like he is.
Defenses are generally not giving him that. Opens up the drive but he’s had trouble finishing and generally isn’t getting calls.

Reactions: Boilermakerdad
Keep Morton away from the floor. He not being any type of option on offense makes him unplayable. His defense is not good enough to make up for killing the offense.

If we play, Uconn or who ever in FF, I guarantee Morton sees minutes guarding a guy for a 5-13 minute stretch. He is a valuable tool, and will be used. Give the guy his due. At times he is a very good player to have.....but yes, his offense is offensive.

Braden has that pull up after a ball screen, why can’t Loyer do that ? I also agree as bad as Loyer is on D why not try Heide or Colvin . Also if Morton refuses to shoot then refuse to play him

Reactions: Ajas0810
I think Loyer's left knee isn't right. He hasn't been the same since he tweaked it a couple of games ago. His ability to create separation and get a good shot is very dependent on the health of his knees. I may be wrong but that is my take. His left knee wasn't a ding or banged knees it was an actual pull of some sort. (I watched the replay several times). I would sit him the next two games and give him rest. If we win the BIG regular season title great but if not, who cares. What matters is being healthy and ready for March.

The same people who will post we need options other than Loyer will also post that we can’t play Colvin because of defense.

Plus defender or not, there’s no reason he shouldn’t be playing more.

Painter always does this shit…when we get later in the year and guys are tired, we tighten up the rotation rather than keep it at 10-11. When we play guys more frequently it’s easier to find the hot hand.

I love Painter but if it’s going to hit post mid Feb and we are going to play tighter instead of use our depth we will never get over the hump. Looking like year 4 in a row of this playing out…

The same people who will post we need options other than Loyer will also post that we can’t play Colvin because of defense.

Plus defender or not, there’s no reason he shouldn’t be playing more.

Painter always does this shit…when we get later in the year and guys are tired, we tighten up the rotation rather than keep it at 10-11. When we play guys more frequently it’s easier to find the hot hand.

I love Painter but if it’s going to hit post mid Feb and we are going to play tighter instead of use our depth we will never get over the hump. Looking like year 4 in a row of this playing out…
I just hope Braden doesn’t start to wear down again.

I just hope Braden doesn’t start to wear down again.
I get if he does because we don’t have the depth at the 1 and Jones basically has to be the back up there but also on the floor with him too at times.

I think that changes big time with Harris and Cox coming in next year.

Digressing there…but if we had played Colvin and/or Heide more and they had developed a counter dribble slash/drive to the hard close outs we could have won a game that not much went really right for us. Have to shoot the 3 more too in today’s game.

UCONN would’ve blasted us like they did Marquette yesterday. I think we’d have lost to UK, Kansas, UNc and several others with the level of effort today.

OSU is a very raw talented team. Still completely raw and we did t do enough to take them out of their strengths nor did we do enough to get to ours. I think OSU talent wise compares to a UNC/UK/UCONN…they just hadn’t been developed nor had they bought in to Holtmann.

Will be interesting to see how they finished but they looked decent today for sure. We did nothing to take them out of their strengths tho.

Reactions: Boilerupone
Purdue does not have a backup point guard that comes off fresh off the bench. It's a missing piece.

Reactions: jdbrewer
Not letting Heidi and Colvin play though freshman mistakes and develop into useable pieces in March is a mistake that’s probably going to bite us. This team looks like it hit a wall again in February, much like last year. If we didn’t shoot lights out from the free throw line, we’d have lost by double digits. Clearly there is a scouting report on how to beat purdue, much like years past.. now we’ll see if CMP has learned anything.

Not letting Heidi and Colvin play though freshman mistakes and develop into useable pieces in March is a mistake that’s probably going to bite us. This team looks like it hit a wall again in February, much like last year. If we didn’t shoot lights out from the free throw line, we’d have lost by double digits. Clearly there is a scouting report on how to beat purdue, much like years past.. now we’ll see if CMP has learned anything.
The scouting report to beating Purdue is Chapter 1 in the “Introduction to College Coaching” manual. They all seem to know it.

Why not Gillis at the three, the other teams three is usually about his size? Let Loyer come in off the bench, maybe that can turn his shooting around.
Not good enough handles and can’t stay with most 3s defensively.

Painter is so stubborn that he will continue to try and fit a square peg in a round hole. He fails to see the obvious. This season will therefore end well short of Phoenix. Loyer is a weak link and not the answer at the SG position.

Start Colvin or Heide and let them develop their game with what is left of the season b4 Tournament time and have Loyer come off the bench.

Another fault of Painter, which reared its ugly head today, is taking out a hot player. Kaufman-Renn had 7 early points today…but only played 21 minutes. He should have seen 30 minutes of floor time. He played well today!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT