ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Tourney Championship: Purdue vs. Michigan: Predictions & Game Thread

And, Painter needs to figure out why the 2nd half of the season has been a huge letdown compared to the first half. He may need to wipe the slate clean and come up with a brand new plan on both ends of the court. Because, CLEARLY, his plan has not been stellar. If other coaches have caught up with his gameplan, then he needs to create something else. I'm telling you, if he remains status quo, we won't be long in the NCAA. And, this talent will have been wasted on poor coaching.

Honestly, I think a big part of the reason is that Purdue started the season with 4 veteran seniors and a very good sophomore. Purdue hit its stride in early January, but many other teams (Michigan, Ohio State) have subsequently closed the gap.

Reactions: Do Dah Day and BBG
What's the "game plan"? What part are they failing at executing?
I'm not in the huddle like everyone else on here, so I am not sure what the true "plan" is. But you can see that defense has been terrible because of lack of effort and shots haven't been falling even with open looks.

I am sure fatigue is a factor as is VE's ankle and Haas taking a beating and getting thrown on the ground.

Why can't Purdue ever be that hottest team in basketball in march? Why is it we always lose to the hottest team in basketball?
because to be the hotttest in March, you need to be relatively cold in Jan and luke-warm in Feb.

Why? One loss to a Meetchicken team that may just be the hottest team in college basketball right now? Let's destroy every bit of chemistry the team has. Eastern has a role...right now it's not as a starter. And Eastern just got beat twice on defense.

It wouldn't destroy chemistry. We're watching Nojel blossom before our eyes, and the kid has the athleticism to be a difference maker in March.

I'm not in the huddle like everyone else on here, so I am not sure what the true "plan" is. But you can see that defense has been terrible because of lack of effort and shots haven't been falling even with open looks.

I am sure fatigue is a factor as is VE's ankle and Haas taking a beating and getting thrown on the ground.

You don't know the gameplan....but you're sure they aren't following it? Feels like a bit of a reach. I think Painter needs to figure out what has happened the 2nd half. I think he can, we have the talent. And, it's his job. I think you're right, we're fatigued. Another problem, as we've played less games. So, why isn't Mich even more tired? That's another bad sign. I've got some real concerns here with our trending direction as the season goes along.

You don't know the gameplan....but you're sure they aren't following it? Feels like a bit of a reach. I think Painter needs to figure out what has happened the 2nd half. I think he can, we have the talent. And, it's his job. I think you're right, we're fatigued. Another problem, as we've played less games. So, why isn't Mich even more tired? That's another bad sign. I've got some real concerns here with our trending direction as the season goes along.
You're right I don't know the gameplan, but I can guarantee it doesn't involve standing around. Otherwise Painter wouldn't be yelling "move" all the time.

Fatigue I think is a funny thing, yeah UM played more games but we have had a longer season. I have no clue if that was a factor but the announcers brought up we looked lethargic.

Probably the only good thing this condensed season and early BTT gives us is an extra week to heal up and rest.

Reactions: boiler-deuce
VE on the bench for much of the second half. I think his ankle needs these 10 days. He hasn’t been the same for like a month.

Yeah....been a tough stretch with the flu then the ankle. Good thing is that if he gets healthy and rested and a second wind......he could become lethal again. Purdue is going to need him one way or another to advance deep in the tournament.

It wouldn't destroy chemistry. We're watching Nojel blossom before our eyes, and the kid has the athleticism to be a difference maker in March.
Blossom? Not yet...maybe next year. He's going to be good, but he's got a lot to learn. Just being quick is not being athletic. You have to be able to hit free throws and you have to be able to hit open shots when getting them. Bring him in as a defensive stopper, but if the games close at the end, don't chance him.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
You're right I don't know the gameplan, but I can guarantee it doesn't involve standing around. Otherwise Painter wouldn't be yelling "move" all the time.

Fatigue I think is a funny thing, yeah UM played more games but we have had a longer season. I have no clue if that was a factor but the announcers brought up we looked lethargic.

Probably the only good thing this condensed season and early BTT gives us is an extra week to heal up and rest.

We can agree that the time off is a blessing. But, I do think Painter needs to make changes. If someone isn't following the gameplan, maybe he needs to sit them down? Maybe if opposing coaches have tape and have maybe figured him out, again, he needs to make changes. Either way, he needs to adjust. Peace out Bro.

Reactions: Gesysp
so much for rebounding winning games. i have listened to this theory all season and disagreed. this game showed that if we shoot poorly and dont play defense , we lose. we are not going to win shooting 24 percent from 3 no matter how many rebounds we get

We can agree that the time off is a blessing. But, I do think Painter needs to make changes. If someone isn't following the gameplan, maybe he needs to sit them down? Maybe if opposing coaches have tape and have maybe figured him out, again, he needs to make changes. Either way, he needs to adjust. Peace out Bro.
Maybe he does. Hey it's all good my friend, some healthy "what if" discussion is a good thing.

Reactions: boiler-deuce
Well, we have a week to regroup, rest and heal. Where does this loss put us with the NCAA committee, a #2 seed?

For the people saying this is not on Painter, are you kidding me? For the last five weeks we have gotten killed by high screen and roll, and he and his coaching staff have done zero to address it. It is like he thinks Issac and PJ are magically going to become fleet of foot. The number of points we have given up due to Issac or PJ getting burned by a faster player in the last month is beyond ridiculous (don't get me started on the number of defensive breakdowns where we have left someone wide open during that same period).

Do we make any changes? No. Does CMP get in anyone's face and challenge them? No. Does he shake up the lineup to send a message about effort? No.

I bleed black and gold, but it is clear that CMP is something of a dullard. I was hoping this was the year we broke through, but it seems like we are on pace for the typical Purdue March collapse under CMP.

For the people saying this is not on Painter, are you kidding me? For the last five weeks we have gotten killed by high screen and roll, and he and his coaching staff have done zero to address it. It is like he thinks Issac and PJ are magically going to become fleet of foot. The number of points we have given up due to Issac or PJ getting burned by a faster player in the last month is beyond ridiculous (don't get me started on the number of defensive breakdowns where we have left someone wide open during that same period).

Do we make any changes? No. Does CMP get in anyone's face and challenge them? No. Does he shake up the lineup to send a message about effort? No.

I bleed black and gold, but it is clear that CMP is something of a dullard. I was hoping this was the year we broke through, but it seems like we are on pace for the typical Purdue March collapse under CMP.
So where were you when we had the long win streak? I mean it's pretty clear you don't watch many games, but your post is still a hilarious troll attempt.

So where were you when we had the long win streak? I mean it's pretty clear you don't watch many games, but your post is still a hilarious troll attempt.

Umm, no, but good effort by resorting to the ad hominem attack instead of addressing the point. I believe there is a phrase in sports talk radio that describes my status. Long time listener first time caller. The fact that I am a recent addition to the board has nothing to do with being a troll or my loyalty to Purdue. It reflects that I have been kind of busy since graduating with law school and making partner at my firm. I apologize if my professional endeavors have not provided me with sufficient time to engage in trading witty bon mots with individuals of your unmistakable intellect.

And as an addendum. I will give you the courtesy of actually responding to your point. I believe it is you that has not been watching the team. Since the second Michigan game we have seen a pretty consistent approach from our competition. That has led to four losses off basically the same template. Based on your position, you would rather not make adjustments and rely on what we have previously done? That seems like a pretty awesome plan. Suggesting that we need to make adjustments to face a changing dynamic is not being a fair weathered fan or a troll. It is called being a pragmatic realist. Unless I am mistaken, they don't hang banners for 19 game win streaks. They hang banners for championships.

And as an addendum. I will give you the courtesy of actually responding to your point. I believe it is you that has not been watching the team. Since the second Michigan game we have seen a pretty consistent approach from our competition. That has led to four losses off basically the same template. Based on your position, you would rather not make adjustments and rely on what we have previously done? That seems like a pretty awesome plan. Suggesting that we need to make adjustments to face a changing dynamic is not being a fair weathered fan or a troll. It is called being a pragmatic realist. Unless I am mistaken, they don't hang banners for 19 game win streaks. They hang banners for championships.
With respect to your superior intelligence, I will refrain from listing mine. With that said, sure, adjustments are great and beneficial. But we have a defined skill-set. The adjustment that needs to be made is not readily available. We are who we are. Dance with the one that you brought. Do your best to improve your weaknesses. But when your strengths let you down, no team has the wherewithall to become a different team. We have the players we have. The experience they have, the will they have. You ask for them to be more than they are... a coach can only squeeze so much from the fruit. We could change practices and try to become something different, but there hasn't been much time ... maybe now there is.

Let's be honest here, you are a better attorney than Painter .... but perhaps he is a better coach than you are. We each have training and experience and expertise .... I could help a surgeon choose the best stereo system in the world back in the day. He was silly to do it on his own.... but I was not very good at telling him how to improve on his heart surgery technique.

You have no clue what CMP does in the locker room or in his office concerning players. My guess, he's calm on the court and resolves issues in private.

Blossom? Not yet...maybe next year. He's going to be good, but he's got a lot to learn. Just being quick is not being athletic. You have to be able to hit free throws and you have to be able to hit open shots when getting them. Bring him in as a defensive stopper, but if the games close at the end, don't chance him.
Get a life you have no idea who my son is and what he can do. He is a basketball player period not just a defender he understands the game he knows how to play basketball sir. You will find out soon enough though

Get a life you have no idea who my son is and what he can do. He is a basketball player period not just a defender he understands the game he knows how to play basketball sir. You will find out soon enough though
I've watched your son all year. He's improved as a freshman should. He still can't hit free throws and you admit that, and like every other player on the team he makes mistakes. As I said, the one thing I've seen that I like the most is that he tries to involve his team mates and I think he'll be very good next year. And....I have a great llfe. And for your info, both my sons were recruited D1, my oldest grandson was recruited D1, and as a coach I've had the great pleasure of sending several kids to play at the next level. Here's hoping all the players can "get it fixed" before their next tip off.

I've watched your son all year. He's improved as a freshman should. He still can't hit free throws and you admit that, and like every other player on the team he makes mistakes. As I said, the one thing I've seen that I like the most is that he tries to involve his team mates and I think he'll be very good next year. And....I have a great llfe. And for your info, both my sons were recruited D1, my oldest grandson was recruited D1, and as a coach I've had the great pleasure of sending several kids to play at the next level. Here's hoping all the players can "get it fixed" before their next tip off.
So what telling me you had multiple D1s get recruited or your sons got D1 scholarships has to do with your comments AND. Like I’ve said many times over I’m not worried about any of his FTs or shooting at this point that isn’t the only part of the game that matters last I checked. He can play multiple positions defensively and offensively can score in multiple ways so he can effect the game in many ways other than shooting FTs which will be corrected when season ends. Right now he is working on them and that’s ll he can do at this point. Enjoy your life I will enjoy mine but do not think you no what my son can do bcuz I haven’t questioned you about your sons or your D1s kids you sent to the next level. My son will be fine and I’m not worried about next season it’s all about finishing out this season strong and him helping this team get to a final 4 good day.

I had to reply to your thoughts on sending kids to the next level. I created a doc many years ago. So, I coached basketball, yet of the kids I coached, I had two baseball schollies to Stanford and one to Butler. Three sofball D1 schollies (one PU starter). Two golf schollies to IU, a football schollie to western michigan, and basketball schollies to four D1 and four DII programs. That was pre-2000 .... I have coached two D1 head coaches and two DII head coaches. Only one is setting the world on fire, but they are living their dreams.

Sports is to have fun doing what you love. Winning is important, but living your life the way you want to is more important.

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
I had to reply to your thoughts on sending kids to the next level. I created a doc many years ago. So, I coached basketball, yet of the kids I coached, I had two baseball schollies to Stanford and one to Butler. Three sofball D1 schollies (one PU starter). Two golf schollies to IU, a football schollie to western michigan, and basketball schollies to four D1 and four DII programs. That was pre-2000 .... I have coached two D1 head coaches and two DII head coaches. Only one is setting the world on fire, but they are living their dreams.

Sports is to have fun doing what you love. Winning is important, but living your life the way you want to is more important.
Maybe I should buy you another bottle, deliver it in person with two red solo cups and you and I could solve it all. Impressive record my friend. Very impressive. I bow to you in reverence.

Maybe I should buy you another bottle, deliver it in person with two red solo cups and you and I could solve it all. Impressive record my friend. Very impressive. I bow to you in reverence.
Oh C'mon. My point was they were athletes - I didn't have anything to do with their success in other sports... I will say that the age group I worked with was packed with great athletes - and red solo cups are always welcome

Reactions: BoiledSteel
Oh C'mon. My point was they were athletes - I didn't have anything to do with their success in other sports... I will say that the age group I worked with was packed with great athletes - and red solo cups are always welcome
DDD, I wasn't questioning your accomplishments as a coach...but applauding what you have done as a mentor...I truly am in awe of your record of LEADING young men and women to success.

And yes, there are those groups that come along that have a huge concentration of athletes or very smart kids. And once or twice in a lifetime, you get a group that has both. Congrats again my friend.

And my offer for the bottle of your choice still stands. Red Solo cups free of charge.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT