ADVERTISEMENT

Grambling v. Purdue - Game Thread (2024 NCAA Tournament, Midwest Region - round of 64)

Okay that was discussed at the start of the season . Think he would produce more if he got more than his 20+ minutes? Does Trey bring things Mason doesn’t? Could Trey also bring things Mason couldn’t depending on the team?
I think the general consensus is, it’s not who starts but who ends. Gillis usually ends, and even most times surpasses TKRs mins.

So why does he start? Doesn’t really matter but I assume it’s Painter keeping him happy because he’s our 5 next year. Not going to debate who brings what. That just appears to be the case to me.

And TKR looks better at the 5 than 4 which is obviously impossible with Edey in the game.

Not saying he should get no mins with Edey but him starting doesn’t make a lot of sense, considering how Painter handles everything after the game starts

Seth Davis has been singing our praises for some time now. He has openly said he is cheering for PU to win it all. Very unusual for a talking head to be so openly rooting for a team. I love it
I don't know. I've been watching Barkley. 😁
But yeah, for not being an alumn, it is unusual.

I think the general consensus is, it’s not who starts but who ends. Gillis usually ends, and even most times surpasses TKRs mins.

So why does he start? Doesn’t really matter but I assume it’s Painter keeping him happy because he’s our 5 next year. Not going to debate who brings what. That just appears to be the case to me.

And TKR looks better at the 5 than 4 which is obviously impossible with Edey in the game.

Not saying he should get no mins with Edey but him starting doesn’t make a lot of sense, considering how Painter handles everything after the game starts
A consensus from a fan base may be very wrong

You understand Matt disagrees? He has started him every game. Historically if Matt changes the lineup it is after a loss. Matt never changed the lineup. No question he isn’t the perimeter threat Mason is and what if Mason’s production decreases with longer minutes? What effect on the team is there if both fours play half a game instead of one playing longer? Do you think Purdue can do different things with those two? I mean Matt has to have a reason he believes since he keeps playing him or is Matt too stubborn?

30-4 with him starting. 11pts, 7 rebs, 2 assists tonight. I would want to keep him happy, too.

A consensus from a fan base may be very wrong

You understand Matt disagrees? He has started him every game. Historically if Matt changes the lineup it is after a loss. Matt never changed the lineup. No question he isn’t the perimeter threat Mason is and what if Mason’s production decreases with longer minutes? What effect on the team is there if both fours play half a game instead of one playing longer? Do you think Purdue can do different things with those two? I mean Matt has to have a reason he believes since he keeps playing him or is Matt too stubborn?
You do realize you have no more knowledge into painters psyche than me or anyone else, correct?

I’m not even saying it’s the wrong decision, just don’t understand it.

And you say painter doesn’t agree, but you can tell who he trusts by who he finishes games with, and that generally is Gillis and not TKR. Although TKR generally being bad at the foul stripe is probably a big factor in that

You do realize you have no more knowledge into painters psyche than me or anyone else, correct?

I’m not even saying it’s the wrong decision, just don’t understand it.

And you say painter doesn’t agree, but you can tell who he trusts by who he finishes games with, and that generally is Gillis and not TKR. Although TKR generally being bad at the foul stripe is probably a big factor in that
I already wrote things at the start of the season to explain some reasons and already wrote earlier that they provide different things. There are more ways to play than 4 out. Do you want Trey shooting FTs at the end of a game? I like having both players and different things they bring.

I’m a Mason fan but understand he doesn’t bring much inside. I like Trey but understand he doesn’t bring much offense on the perimeter. I do however understand how you can play the Zach and Trey together. Matt’s only concern with Trey was defense in space and they could work together on O

30-4 with him starting. 11pts, 7 rebs, 2 assists tonight. I would want to keep him happy, too.
I really think and maybe it is some youth that people have this vision of what Matt has done in the past with a 4 and then see Mason hit some key 3 balls and think why doesn't he play all the time because it validates what they were looking to see. First, I'm not sure that Mason would double his productivity with doubling his minutes and he struggles inside at times. This gives Matt a more versatile team and with Trey a physical presence inside should Zach be unable to keep the ball alive as well as defending a big on the perimeter so Zach doesn't have to do that. I'm not going to keep typing some advantages, but Matt plays Trey every game...some more than others depending...

Reactions: BoilerAndy
If you screw up this game , I will never ever root for a Purdue win again in my life time. I’ve rooted for you for 3 years in a row and have been killed all 3 times. My Rutgers family has made fun of me to the point of being shamed to death. I have you winning it all this year ! Please please don’t let me down.
If this doesn't motivate the team, what will?

Dont you have some painter or purdue mags to go "enjoy" or someone you can go blow smoke ups asses about how amazing and lerfect everything is?
Having tortured myself reading your representative posts for the last few months, they are largely of the "Purdue is doomed to fail," variety. If there were any positive posts, I missed them. Just a lot of bitching and moaning. Cheer up. Life is too short to get so worked up over the outcome of a game played by 18-22 year olds. In other words, "Lighten up, Francis!"

Gee idk because I want this team to win?

So ****ing tired of idiots acting like people that point out issues dont want to win.

homers are the absolute worst
I have never seen you post a positive thing about our team or coach and we are 30-4. Why is that?

Having tortured myself reading your representative posts for the last few months, they are largely of the "Purdue is doomed to fail," variety. If there were any positive posts, I missed them. Just a lot of bitching and moaning. Cheer up. Life is too short to get so worked up over the outcome of a game played by 18-22 year olds. In other words, "Lighten up, Francis!"
The name is “psycho ” call me anything else….

TKR is so much better with Edey out, ever understood him starting
Just so happen that I saw PJs comments on both over ON3 moments ago. I'm not going to post what repeats that has been said here. I will post a couple of snippets, because you are not the only one that has this view without seeing the other things and he does repeat those things saving some typing.
"The dynamic duo is one reason why Purdue has enjoyed one of the most successful seasons in program history.

“They complement each other very well because one posts so well and the other one shoots it so well,” sophomore guard Fletcher Loyer said. “They both play hard. When you get two 4 men in college basketball that aren’t afraid to go hit somebody and go get a rebound, they’re going to help your team win.”

That’s been the case all season.

And Purdue can showcase two different styles.

“I call a different game when Trey is in and when Mason is in,” Thompson said. “Maybe people prefer one or the other if you’re watching it, but as a coach – as someone who understands the game a little deeper – it’s not predicated on makes or misses. It’s drawing fouls, extra possessions on the glass, and wearing those guys out.”

“Ever since I got here, I knew what each was good at individually,” point guard Braden Smith said. “I know Mason is going to pop because he’s going to shoot better than Trey. I know Trey is going to post because he can post better than Mason.”

For the season, the averages are roughly the same – 6.9 points, 3.9 rebounds for Gillis and 6.2 points and 4.1 rebounds for Kaufman-Renn. The shooting percentages are close as well with Gillis hitting 49.3%, mostly from 3-point range, and Kaufman-Renn converting at 50.3% around the basket.

“If somebody has a hot hand, we’re probably going to go to that person but it’s good for the coaches to have options to manipulate the other team,” Gillis said. “Mix a lot of things up and lineups and It just helps us to have peace of mind.”

It also puts opponents in a bind unless they have a versatile player who can defend the paint and the perimeter. Since opponents are dealing with foul trouble, they usually have to go deep into their bench, giving the Boilermakers an advantage as the game unfolds.

“We get people in foul trouble a lot,” Thompson said. “You see a lot of the second, third and sometimes fourth big that sometimes don’t play. (Utah State) had a freshman big that didn’t play but we’re probably going to see him. When Trey and Zach are in together, they’re so physical that they accumulate fouls at a high level and forces you to see people you might not expect to see.”

All of this I personally know I've typed many times before. People fall in love with the 3 ball, dunks and blocks, but that is only part of the game

Reactions: BoilerDaddy
I have never seen you post a positive thing about our team or coach and we are 30-4. Why is that?

Because you are lying? And I dont feel the need to come on here in games we win by 40 because Im happy with how things went.

I dont need validation from homers when we win by 40. I come here to discuss big ganes or when things go wrong usually. There is no rule or right way to use an online discussion forum. There is no rule in life that says a fan is only someone who sounds like a moron to everyone else around them with cultist views and opinions. Srsly, some of you try SO HARD to defend the most obvious of things that are being done wrong. And it is so bad you guys dont even think you are doing it.

Some.of you need to get a damn grip and realize you can be a lifelong die hars fan of a team and still call their stupidity and shit out

Because you are lying? And I dont feel the need to come on here in games we win by 40 because Im happy with how things went.

Some.of you need to get a damn grip and realize you can be a lifelong die hars fan of a team and still call their stupidity and shit out
Like, Painter stubbornly continues to give minutes to Morton over other players, causing Purdue to lose to Wisconsin?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT