ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue v. Michigan State Game Thread

Purdue Grad in Texas

All-American
Mar 22, 2010
Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. It's a Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday afternoon game for the visiting #3-ranked Purdue Boilermakers (16-1; 5-1) as they travel to the Breslin Center in East Lansing, Michigan to take on a familiar foe, the Michigan State Spartans (12-5; 4-2). Tip is scheduled for approximately 2:30 pm (Eastern time) with television coverage on FOX.

Projected Starting Line-ups:

Purdue - Caleb Furst, Zach Edey, Ethan Morton, Fletcher Loyer, and Braden Smith

Michigan State - Joey Hauser, Mady Sissoko, Jaden Akins, A.J. Hoggard, and Tyson Walker

Michigan State is coming off a loss at Illinois on Saturday after a good win at Wisconsin earlier in the week. Purdue knocked off Nebraska at home Friday night and has won three straight now. This game shapes up to be a rather physical challenge for both teams, similar to most of the games these two schools play against each other. Purdue is facing its most daunting road crowd environment so far this season, so that will be another good test for the younger Purdue players. Michigan State is not the most prolific 3pt-shooting team so far as in attempts, but they're quite capable around the perimeter if open. Expect Hoggard and Walker to try to push and penetrate, and the Boilers can't afford to leave Hauser open - he's been really good of late with mid-range and beyond the arc. Michigan State should also be able to bang with Purdue on the glass, so the Boilers will need to really focus on block-outs and limiting second chance opportunities for the Spartans.

Michigan State will likely give Zach Edey a variety of looks when Purdue has the ball. The Spartans have done it before, with decent success, including a win last year at Breslin Center and a close game in the Big Ten tournament. Regardless of when they go straight up or double, Purdue should get some opportunities from the outside. Michigan State is usually pretty good in closing out - offensive boards for Purdue will also be at a premium, and I expect Michigan State will also pay more attention to Fletcher Loyer as well. Zach Edey will need to make the smart decision and be decisive - he'll get some FT opportunities as well, one would think.

Michigan State may have a slight advantage in the backcourt on paper and with experience, even as well as Loyer and Smith have played. Hoggard has had some success against the Boilers before, and you’d expect he’ll have a bounce-back game after some of his errors at Illinois. If Malik Hall can’t play for the Spartans (he re-injured his ankle @ Illinois and is listed as day-to-day), though, that’s a problem, given his defensive flexibility and acumen — both could be very useful in a game like this. Now, if Smith and Loyer can hold up on defense and make some shots, that will really put Michigan State in a bind. Turnovers will also be a big factor for both teams......as this could be a game down to the last few possessions - both teams have played at a slower pace, generally. Purdue needs to really play with poise the full game.

How will Purdue's bench fare? Any solid production from Brandon Newman, David Jenkins, Jr., and Trey Kaufman-Renn could be the difference in putting the Boilers over the top. I expect Mason Gillis will be his usual - do a lot of the lunch pail work in the paint against a physical opponent in a hornets nest environment.

This is a classic big-time conference road test for Purdue - can they meet the challenge and continue to stay on top of the conference standings? The more physically ready and mentally tough team is going to take this one.....we'll see which team prevails starting in a little over an hour or so.

Boiler Up, my friends.

i
i

Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. It's a Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday afternoon game for the visiting #3-ranked Purdue Boilermakers (16-1; 5-1) as they travel to the Breslin Center in East Lansing, Michigan to take on a familiar foe, the Michigan State Spartans (12-5; 4-2). Tip is scheduled for approximately 2:30 pm (Eastern time) with television coverage on FOX.

Michigan State - Joey Hauser, Mady Sissoko, Jaden Akins, A.J. Hoggard, and Tyson Walker

Michigan State is coming off a loss at Illinois on Saturday after a good win at Wisconsin earlier in the week. Purdue knocked off Nebraska at home Friday night and has won three straight now. This game shapes up to be a rather physical challenge for both teams, similar to most of the games these two schools play against each other. Purdue is facing its most daunting road crowd environment so far this season, so that will be another good test for the younger Purdue players. Michigan State is not the most prolific 3pt-shooting team so far as in attempts, but they're quite capable around the perimeter if open. Expect Hoggard and Walker to try to push and penetrate, and the Boilers can't afford to leave Hauser open - he's been really good of late with mid-range and beyond the arc. Michigan State should also be able to bang with Purdue on the glass, so the Boilers will need to really focus on block-outs and limiting second chance opportunities for the Spartans.

Michigan State will likely give Zach Edey a variety of looks when Purdue has the ball. The Spartans have done it before, with decent success, including a win last year at Breslin Center and a close game in the Big Ten tournament. Regardless of when they go straight up or double, Purdue should get some opportunities from the outside. Michigan State is usually pretty good in closing out - offensive boards for Purdue will also be at a premium, and I expect Michigan State will also pay more attention to Fletcher Loyer as well. Zach Edey will need to make the smart decision and be decisive - he'll get some FT opportunities as well, one would think.

Michigan State may have a slight advantage in the backcourt on paper and with experience, even as well as Loyer and Smith have played. Hoggard has had some success against the Boilers before, and you’d expect he’ll have a bounce-back game after some of his errors at Illinois. If Malik Hall can’t play for the Spartans (he re-injured his ankle @ Illinois and is listed as day-to-day), though, that’s a problem, given his defensive flexibility and acumen — both could be very useful in a game like this. Now, if Smith and Loyer can hold up on defense and make some shots, that will really put Michigan State in a bind. Turnovers will also be a big factor for both teams......as this could be a game down to the last few possessions - both teams have played at a slower pace, generally. Purdue needs to really play with poise the full game.

How will Purdue's bench fare? Any solid production from Brandon Newman, David Jenkins, Jr., and Trey Kaufman-Renn could be the difference in putting the Boilers over the top. I expect Mason Gillis will be his usual - do a lot of the lunch pail work in the paint against a physical opponent in a hornets nest environment.

This is a classic big-time conference road test for Purdue - can they meet the challenge and continue to stay on top of the conference standings? The more physically ready and mentally tough team is going to take this one.....we'll see which team prevails starting in a little over an hour or so.

Boiler Up, my friends.

i
i
Excellent... Thank you.

Well I’ll try this again…It seems both my mental acuity as well as handcoordination has failed me this year!! Hard for me to watch game and keep up with you all….Sometimes you all lose my dear sweet Boilermakers and I just have to give up and watch game only…🙈🖤💛🖤💛🖤

…But I miss you all and your comments🥰

Boiler Up, my friends.

i
i
This game ...at this time is big, but Purdue does get them at home. Now who is going to beat Rutgers since I think Purdue only playes them once...

Well I’ll try this again…It seems both my mental acuity as well as handcoordination has failed me this year!! Hard for me to watch game and keep up with you all….Sometimes you all lose my dear sweet Boilermakers and I just have to give up and watch game only…🙈🖤💛🖤💛🖤
I agree. I can't watch on my TV and check here/type here. If I watch it on my monitor, then I can handle it if I choose to.

I think I have the same afflictions, but a different diagnosis. I prefer my reasons...when they happen... to total focus on the event at hand...and I'm sticking with it even if both of my left hands don't work together!!! ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT