ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue v. Michigan State Game Thread

Painter is used to it by now. He gets players that are so much bigger than everyone else. Refs tend not to call fouls on opponents hacking these huge players. It's human nature. Painter spent time complaining about these non calls in the past, but seems now just to work through it. Our bigs have to,play through the fouls best they can. It's not fair, it's not right. But life ain't fair.

When Wilt Chamberlain played and AVERAGED 50 points a game in the NBA it was said he lifted opposing players off the ground handing onto his arms. The next year the NBA widened the lane to hold down his scoring. Not fair. He only averaged 44 per game the next year.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I agree overall. It sure did seem their guards pushed-off a lot with out calls, but that's how the game was called, even if they were fouls. On the other hand, Morton didn't touch Walker and Edey arm wrestled their big guy - even-up on those two
I watched it on reply and was shocked at the number of no-calls on what should have been fouls against MSU. The get away with a shit-ton of push-offs and arm slaps. Then they call poor TKR on an arm bar letting MSU defend exactly the same way on the very next series. Ugh!

I agree overall. It sure did seem their guards pushed-off a lot with out calls, but that's how the game was called, even if they were fouls. On the other hand, Morton didn't touch Walker and Edey arm wrestled their big guy - even-up on those two
bans players from clamping an arm onto another player's arm and restricting freedom of movement during a rebound.

To me the replay appeared that Zach had the rebound and Sissoko got in-between his arms. To me it's either and no call or a call on Sissoko

I was wondering what the rule is pertaining to the play that Smith turned his back. It looked like the MSU player intentionally jumped into his back. Isn’t Smith entitled to his space?
I don't know the specific wording, but it appears the arc was in play. N ormally, when a person runs into another the ref has a decision and a lot of times if teh ref thinks the player is not trying to make a basketball play he doesn't bail out the offensive player. Here Braden turned his back to move out of the way and the ref gave him another bad call and the player got a FT as well. I'm unsure most refs would make that call. I think Braden got some really bad calls and Purdue even when not having his best game needs him on the court on offense. Even some struggles Matt knew he needed him on O and took a chance with his fouls, but I've always been worried about losing him to fouls. Still, I think he had the second highest +/- on the team which we know can be misleading at times, but the offense is just better when he is out there.

I hate the visiting team getting screwed due to seating arrangements in a gym. I haven't followed the rules, but when Zach went to defend the triggerman on the last possession he walked up to the out of bounds line and the ref moved him back to what I assume was a guess at 3 feet! If the rule is still in play, then require seating to allow a min of three feet back from out of bounds line. Old gyms many years ago that were small had a red line 3 feet in from teh black line that the defender could not enter until the ball was inbounds. Seating is even worse in south Mackey and I've seen the effects of the moonshine when their fans breath on the Purdue players.

I watched it on reply and was shocked at the number of no-calls on what should have been fouls against MSU. The get away with a shit-ton of push-offs and arm slaps. Then they call poor TKR on an arm bar letting MSU defend exactly the same way on the very next series. Ugh!
For a road game wouldn’t you agree it wasn’t reffed bad? I got no complaints, sure there were a few ticky tac calls on Purdue but the Boilers got a few as well.

For a road game wouldn’t you agree it wasn’t reffed bad? I got no complaints, sure there were a few ticky tac calls on Purdue but the Boilers got a few as well.
I am wondering about the Gillis foul when he went to box Sissoko out for an anticipated missed shot, and then Sissoko jumped up and landed on him.

Couldn’t you argue that’s over the back on Sissoko ?

Too many no-calls on both sides. It looked more like a scrum than a basketball game. I wish the refs would call it tighter and equally. TRK’s foul when he used an arm bar (legal) was ridiculous, especially when MSU defended exactly the same way on the next play. What was the issue with the way TRK was defending? I think it was just the color of his uniform. It was t green & white.

Reactions: Schnelk
I am wondering about the Gillis foul when he went to box Sissoko out for an anticipated missed shot, and then Sissoko jumped up and landed on him.

Couldn’t you argue that’s over the back on Sissoko ?
Gillis was moving, I thought the call was fine, like I said they weren’t perfect, however, I’ll take reffing like that anyday for a Big Ten road game, especially with Izzo bitching every damn possession, he’s worse than Knight with that crap.

Gillis was moving, I thought the call was fine, like I said they weren’t perfect, however, I’ll take reffing like that anyday for a Big Ten road game, especially with Izzo bitching every damn possession, he’s worse than Knight with that crap.
You have a good point about them ignoring Izzy’s tears and screams for the most part. I will take that in place of the trash that has happened in the hall-of-calls. I do get your point.

Reactions: Schnelk
Too many no-calls on both sides. It looked more like a scrum than a basketball game. I wish the refs would call it tighter and equally. TRK’s foul when he used an arm bar (legal) was ridiculous, especially when MSU defended exactly the same way on the next play. What was the issue with the way TRK was defending? I think it was just the color of his uniform. It was t green & white.
I think that’s why I liked it, I love when they let them play, I think it benefits Purdue. I try to take a fair approach in regards to officials, let’s be honest, every fan base will harp on the bad calls against but ignore the ones that they got. I think Purdue got a few calls like MSU did. I remember the IU era where they got every damn call at home because the refs were afraid of Knight. Izzo is a cry baby, really don’t care for him these days.

Guessing here a bit, but I think the thought was that Mason although maybe set had previously moved under him after he jumped up denying him a spot to land. Just a guess...not honed in on the rules...

ADVERTISEMENT