ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue v. Michigan Game Thread

Purdue Grad in Texas

All-American
Mar 22, 2010
Tonight, the #1-ranked Purdue Boilermakers (19-1; 8-1) visit Crisler Arena in Ann Arbor, Michigan to take on the Michigan Wolverines (11-8; 5-3) in a key conference match-up for both schools. Tip is scheduled for approximately 9:00 pm (Eastern time) with television coverage on FOX Sports 1 network. Michigan is coming off a home win against Minnesota, and Purdue also is coming off a home win, against Maryland last Sunday.

Expected Starting Line-ups:

Purdue - Caleb Furst, Zach Edey, Ethan Morton, Fletcher Loyer, and Braden Smith

Michigan - Terrance Williams II, Hunter Dickinson, Jett Howard (listed as questionable), Dug McDaniel, and Kobe Bufkin

This is Purdue's tenth conference game, and five of their previous nine have gone down to the last possession. This match-up could also be another tense possession-for-possession game. I expect Purdue on offense to initially try and establish Zach Edey in the post, even though Michigan can deal with his size more effectively than most teams due to Hunter Dickinson in the post. It will be interesting if Michigan still tries to double and force Zach Edey into early decisions on whether to try and distribute to a teammate. He's generally been adept at making the right play, although Maryland caught him a few times and forced a turnover.

Michigan doesn't turn opponents over with regularity, but they are generally good, themselves, in protecting possessions. On offense, Dickinson will be both a post presence and will also probably test Purdue's defense from the outside He's capable of making shots from beyond the three-pt arc. Michigan’s Jett Howard suffered an ankle injury late in the first half of the game against Minnesota and is listed as questionable for this contest. He is Michigan’s best scoring threat outside of Hunter Dickinson, so his loss would be a significant issue for the Wolverines’ offensive production. Michigan could really use him on offense in this game with Dickinson having to take on Zach Edey inside. Michigan’s rate of converting three-point shots drops when Howard is not on the court, as the Wolverines shoot just 32% from beyond the arc without him and 39% when he is playing. Even if Howard is limited, Michigan can still put pressure on Purdue's backcourt from the wings.

It's the same usual keys for Purdue - take care of the ball, work for the good shot, and hit the glass on both ends of the floor. The bench production has been a little inconsistent of late - I think someone will need to really step up if Purdue is going to take this one. The Boilers also can't afford the kind of mistakes from the second half of the last game with Maryland, and they will have to shoot it a little bit better as well. IF they have a focused consistent effort in both halves, they have a good chance on the road in a key conference game, but it won't be easy by any means. A Michigan victory puts them just one game back in the loss column. Can the Boilers continue to get it done on the road in a hostile environment? We shall see coming up later this evening.

Boiler Up, my friends.

i
i

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT