ADVERTISEMENT

Grambling v. Purdue - Game Thread (2024 NCAA Tournament, Midwest Region - round of 64)

Purdue Grad in Texas

All-American
Mar 22, 2010
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. Tonight is a first round game in the Midwest Region from Indianapolis with the #16-seed Grambling Tigers (21-14, 1-0) taking on the #1-seed, #3-ranked Purdue Boilermakers (29-4). The winner will advance to the second round on Sunday to take on the winner of the #8/#9 game between Utah State and Texas Christian University, which follows this game. Tip is scheduled for approximately 7:25 pm (Eastern time) with television coverage on TBS.

Projected Starting Line-ups:

Grambling - Jonathan Aku, Antwan Burnett, Jourdan Smith, Kintavious Dozier, and Tra'Michael Moton

Purdue - Zach Edey, Trey Kaufman-Renn, Lance Jones, Fletcher Loyer, and Braden Smith

Grambling advanced from the First Four in Dayton on Wednesday, outlasting Montana State 88-81 in overtime. Purdue's last outing was the Big Ten Tournament semi-final, losing a tough, close contest to Wisconsin, 76-75 in overtime last Saturday. Grambling and Purdue have met once before, in the non-conference, November 2014 - Purdue prevailed 82-30.

On the season, the Tigers are 311th in scoring offense as they put up an average of 68.2 points per game entering this game. Grambling is pulling down an average of 32.4 rebounds per game this season while they dish out an average of 9.8 assists per contest. The Tigers are above average on the defensive end of the floor as they are allowing an average of 69.4 points per game, leaving them 100th in scoring defense.

Kintavious Dozier leads the team with 12.9 points per game this season. Tra’Michael Moton (11.6 points) and Antwan Burnett (10.4 points, 6.1 rebounds) each average in double figures. Jourdan Smith (10 points), Terrence Lewis, Jalen Johnson, Mikale Stevenson, Jonathan Aku, Jimel Cofer and Zahad Munford are important role players for the team. Grambling is shooting 44.2% from the field as a team on the year. The Tigers connect on 5.2 three-pointers a contest while shooting 34% from beyond the arc this season. Grambling is fairly average at the free throw line, ranking 236th in the nation by draining 70.8% of their attempts on the year.

The KenPom ratings have them at 258th overall, with an adjusted offense rating of 281st and 199th adjusted defense. They are one of the slower teams with 316th adjusted tempo rating.

Grambling won their first-ever NCAA Tournament game with their First Four triumph, but this game is an entirely different challenge, matching up with the Boilers. The Tigers have just one player over 6’8 in Jonathan Aku (6’11), who is not a big factor on the offensive end of the floor. As in many cases, Purdue will look to establish its presence in the paint and exploit the advantage with Zach Edey - Purdue should get plenty of good scoring looks if it is able to avoid the turnover bug that has plagued them in recent tournament losses. If Grambling sags to keep Edey from doing damage, he can kick it out as Jones, Smith, Loyer and Gillis all have knocked down at least 47 threes on the season. Defensively, look for the Boilers to try and keep Grambling off the glass and limit second chance opportunities. They'll also need to try and limit the dribble drive penetration and scores off turnovers.

In the end, though, this games really comes down to the performance level of the Boilers. Ever since the stunning loss last season in the first round, they've been pointing to getting back and making amends. And after a long year's campaign - here it is.......the Boilers seek to exorcise some demons in front of what should be a favorable crowd in Indianapolis. Can this Purdue team summon the focus needed and get on track for a run in this 2024 NCAA Tournament? We shall see, starting in about a couple of hours.

Boiler Up, my friends....

i
i

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. Tonight is a first round game in the Midwest Region from Indianapolis with the #16-seed Grambling Tigers (21-14, 1-0) taking on the #1-seed, #3-ranked Purdue Boilermakers (29-4). The winner will advance to the second round on Sunday to take on the winner of the #8/#9 game between Utah State and Texas Christian University, which follows this game. Tip is scheduled for approximately 7:25 pm (Eastern time) with television coverage on TBS.

Projected Starting Line-ups:

Grambling - Jonathan Aku, Antwan Burnett, Jourdan Smith, Kintavious Dozier, and Tra'Michael Moton

Purdue - Zach Edey, Trey Kaufman-Renn, Lance Jones, Fletcher Loyer, and Braden Smith

Grambling advanced from the First Four in Dayton on Wednesday, outlasting Montana State 88-81 in overtime. Purdue's last outing was the Big Ten Tournament semi-final, losing a tough, close contest to Wisconsin, 76-75 in overtime last Saturday. Grambling and Purdue have met once before, in the non-conference, November 2014 - Purdue prevailed 82-30.

On the season, the Tigers are 311th in scoring offense as they put up an average of 68.2 points per game entering this game. Grambling is pulling down an average of 32.4 rebounds per game this season while they dish out an average of 9.8 assists per contest. The Tigers are above average on the defensive end of the floor as they are allowing an average of 69.4 points per game, leaving them 100th in scoring defense.

Kintavious Dozier leads the team with 12.9 points per game this season. Tra’Michael Moton (11.6 points) and Antwan Burnett (10.4 points, 6.1 rebounds) each average in double figures. Jourdan Smith (10 points), Terrence Lewis, Jalen Johnson, Mikale Stevenson, Jonathan Aku, Jimel Cofer and Zahad Munford are important role players for the team. Grambling is shooting 44.2% from the field as a team on the year. The Tigers connect on 5.2 three-pointers a contest while shooting 34% from beyond the arc this season. Grambling is fairly average at the free throw line, ranking 236th in the nation by draining 70.8% of their attempts on the year.

The KenPom ratings have them at 258th overall, with an adjusted offense rating of 281st and 199th adjusted defense. They are one of the slower teams with 316th adjusted tempo rating.

Grambling won their first-ever NCAA Tournament game with their First Four triumph, but this game is an entirely different challenge, matching up with the Boilers. The Tigers have just one player over 6’8 in Jonathan Aku (6’11), who is not a big factor on the offensive end of the floor. As in many cases, Purdue will look to establish its presence in the paint and exploit the advantage with Zach Edey - Purdue should get plenty of good scoring looks if it is able to avoid the turnover bug that has plagued them in recent tournament losses. If Grambling sags to keep Edey from doing damage, he can kick it out as Jones, Smith, Loyer and Gillis all have knocked down at least 47 threes on the season. Defensively, look for the Boilers to try and keep Grambling off the glass and limit second chance opportunities. They'll also need to try and limit the dribble drive penetration and scores off turnovers.

In the end, though, this games really comes down to the performance level of the Boilers. Ever since the stunning loss last season in the first round, they've been pointing to getting back and making amends. And after a long year's campaign - here it is.......the Boilers seek to exorcise some demons in front of what should be a favorable crowd in Indianapolis. Can this Purdue team summon the focus needed and get on track for a run in this 2024 NCAA Tournament? We shall see, starting in about a couple of hours.

Boiler Up, my friends....

i
i
I look for good D out of the gates and would like to see Zach delay his roll if Braden has a lane to drive to start the game

Last edited:
I have been reading quips from Grambling coaching staff. They are going after Edey with all they can. Its sounding like a planned game of Hack-a-Zach.

Will the refs call it tight? Does anyone know what conference they are from tonight?

I have been reading quips from Grambling coaching staff. They are going after Edey with all they can. Its sounding like a planned game of Hack-a-Zach.

Will the refs call it tight? Does anyone know what conference they are from tonight?
That only lasts as long as us not making shots. If we make shots then you have to go back to selling out to stop 2s while giving up 3s.

Reactions: goboilers2
My nephew is at the game. They are still in line waiting to get into the fieldhouse. Gonna be a lot of ticked fans if they miss tip off.

If you screw up this game , I will never ever root for a Purdue win again in my life time. I’ve rooted for you for 3 years in a row and have been killed all 3 times. My Rutgers family has made fun of me to the point of being shamed to death. I have you winning it all this year ! Please please don’t let me down.

We look solid on offense so far. That’s not saying a whole lot. But we looked absolutely lost last year.

That being said, we’re doing the classic “let one guy beat us everytime” routine.

And then we’ll collapse on him and some scrub will hit a 3. Hopefully part 2 doesn’t come

We look solid on offense so far. That’s not saying a whole lot. But we looked absolutely lost last year.

That being said, we’re doing the classic “let one guy beat us everytime” routine.

And then we’ll collapse on him and some scrub will hit a 3. Hopefully part 2 doesn’t come
getting tired of TKR

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT