ADVERTISEMENT

RE: Woodson and Indiana basketball

Most of the other coaches in the BIG other than Izzo and Howard would have canned his arse by now
Izzo and Howard would have already brought in someone just as good or better and stuck him back in the portal.

Or not recruited the knucklehead in the first place.

Reactions: DAG10
Continually wanting guys to stick around that have not done one thing. Not even a tournament win. That tells them the morality of the program and fans.
Trying to flame the IU NCAA win over Wyoming is silly if you ask me. But go ahead and see if it catches on for a few thread pages -good luck!

• Haha
Reactions: Poprudy
You're talking s**t on a Purdue board after IU failed to win a game in the tournament since 2016. You're wrong on the best team since 1980. That team got to an E8...I know you're trolling and grasping for straws, but come on any basketball brain can see the trend difference between both programs.

Could Woody change that ...sure. But, nothing has been proven. As for relevance Purdue has been trending that way for years as IU has been a laughable program outside of IU minds. I can't remember when was the last time Purdue has locked up most of the Indiana talent. You can say "who cares" but that's where IU got such a relevant fan base. When Indiana kids trend to Purdue, so do fans. Outside of Indiana these recruits only know of Woody and nothing about the program.
Hey Bud. I didn’t start it. So what.

Trying to flame the IU NCAA win over Wyoming is silly if you ask me. But go ahead and see if it catches on for a few thread pages -good luck!
That isn't a tournament win.

#12First Four:
#12 Wyoming W 66-58
First Round:
#5 Saint Mary's L 53–82

I'll leave this here for ya.. You didn't get a tournament win...just as I said.

Hang your head up on the play-in victory.

This aged well.
Honestly, do you want TJD around? Your board was killing his game and how it hasn't developed. Some were claiming your offense was stagnant because of him.

Unless, you guys plan to play an uptempo offense? Him sticking around doesn't help move the needle much and his numbers will drop. It would be a guard oriented offense at that point. I think his best option is to leave. Good player, but not an NBA caliber player and that's what Woody's trying to establish. IMO

Good fishin', guys. Finally got one desperate enough to bite!

Honestly, do you want TJD around? Your board was killing his game and how it hasn't developed. Some were claiming your offense was stagnant because of him.

Unless, you guys plan to play an uptempo offense? Him sticking around doesn't help move the needle much and his numbers will drop. It would be a guard oriented offense at that point. I think his best option is to leave. Good player, but not an NBA caliber player and that's what Woody's trying to establish. IMO

Honestly?
Yes. Very much.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy

You guys? There was like 2 people and both seem to be trolling. You don’t say no to TJD. Honestly it’s stagnant because of shooting. Has little to do with him. Glad you aren’t a coach or scout. Honestly.

You guys? There was like 2 people and both seem to be trolling. You don’t say no to TJD. Honestly it’s stagnant because of shooting. Has little to do with him. Glad you aren’t a coach or scout. Honestly.
Ok, bud.

Your post are comical for an evicted trailer park boy.😉 Hey but it's expensive to live in Bloomington 😂

Reactions: PumpkinShuckers07
BTW, what has he won since his time at IU? Oh great one😉

Ok, bud.

Your post are comical for an evicted trailer park boy.😉 Hey but it's expensive to live in Bloomington 😂
I bet I make as much or more as you do. Never lived in a trailer or an apartment. Ever. Live in Newburgh in . Next to Victoria National. 3500 sq ft. House. So the old trailer park thing isn’t accurate. My posts are a bit on the troll side but damn you guys say some dumb stuff.

• Haha
Reactions: Poprudy
BTW, what has he won since his time at IU? Oh great one😉
I’m not arguing about what he has or hasn’t done. What did Oscar Tshebwey (SP) win? What about all those other players that had bad coaches and teams win? Individually he’s done pretty well without players to help him. He might be the quickest big I’ve seen in a long time.

The rate they are going with people leaving or getting arrested, yeah I can see them wanting TJD to stick around. They likely wouldn't have enough players otherwise :p
We might consider adding Pack, but he is likely not good enough for IU; with 12 current scholly players we have to be selective for that last open spot. Need a guy that is not too short to see above the locker room stools.

Pack needs to be on a team that is fine with zero above-average defenders. Hope he finds one!

:)

He’s a solid college player against inferior competition who disappears against guys better than him. The NBA is obviously aware and have signaled to him that another year at the collegiate level won’t impact his NBA future at all (since he doesn’t have one). He‘ll get some cash to stay, few rules to live by, and an Uber light academic load. It’s his only viable option, unless he wants to try to catch onto the tail end of the G League or learn to speak a foreign language. The culture in Bloomingdumb is toxic, so he’ll fit right in. Would wager the Indinia fans are already having grandma knit a new banner.

I bet I make as much or more as you do. Never lived in a trailer or an apartment. Ever. Live in Newburgh in . Next to Victoria National. 3500 sq ft. House. So the old trailer park thing isn’t accurate. My posts are a bit on the troll side but damn you guys say some dumb.
Wow! Thanks for the insight.🤔

These quotes from Thad Matta about his time in Bloomington seem to be polar opposite to what the OP stated. From this article:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.indystar.com/amp/9464671002

"This year, being around it but not in it, was really good for me," Matta said. "Sitting in meetings and watching practice and learning an inordinate amount of basketball from Woody, that kind of got me going again."

Matta said he believes IU remains in good hands. He said Dolson has become one of his best friends, and that he developed an immense respect for Woodson as a coach, a man and a leader.

"Mike is such a special guy," Matta said. "He's got one of the biggest hearts I've ever seen in terms of just his compassion. What I walked away with is his commitment to the game of basketball. Mike Woodson loves basketball. Loves ball. I'd sit in those meetings and we'd be watching, God knows who we were watching play, just because he wanted to learn. He wanted new ideas and wanted to be innovative. That's what I took away was that burning passion for the game of basketball."

These quotes from Thad Matta about his time in Bloomington seem to be polar opposite to what the OP stated. From this article:

"This year, being around it but not in it, was really good for me," Matta said. "Sitting in meetings and watching practice and learning an inordinate amount of basketball from Woody, that kind of got me going again."

Matta said he believes IU remains in good hands. He said Dolson has become one of his best friends, and that he developed an immense respect for Woodson as a coach, a man and a leader.

"Mike is such a special guy," Matta said. "He's got one of the biggest hearts I've ever seen in terms of just his compassion. What I walked away with is his commitment to the game of basketball. Mike Woodson loves basketball. Loves ball. I'd sit in those meetings and we'd be watching, God knows who we were watching play, just because he wanted to learn. He wanted new ideas and wanted to be innovative. That's what I took away was that burning passion for the game of basketball."
The OP needs better connected "friends" (or stories).

You expect someone to say something negative on the way out the door? Of course he's going to say good things, most reasonable people are going to do that.

Reactions: boilermaker75
You expect someone to say something negative on the way out the door? Of course he's going to say good things, most reasonable people are going to do that.
He’s a gracious guy who said some gracious things. Funny that the Indinia fans are surprised by this kind of conduct. Even funnier that they keep showing up here looking for validation. IU really does suck. Their fans prove it every day.

Matta is a class guy. I’m glad he is staying in the college basketball world. We are all better for it.

As for IU, I think they will be fine without Matta, and without Fife. However, I do think Woodson has yet to prove he can recruit and field a winning team on his own. Indications are that he can, but the IU faithful have been down this yellow brick road before.

:cool:

Reactions: HoosierfanJM
Nope, he's too good of a guy to say bad things, but he didn't have to say anything at all. Could have just started work at Butler and forgot about IU, but he chose to say good things. Interpret how you like.

Matta is a class guy. I’m glad he is staying in the college basketball world. We are all better for it.

As for IU, I think they will be fine without Matta, and without Fife. However, I do think Woodson has yet to prove he can recruit and field a winning team on his own. Indications are that he can, but the IU faithful have been down this yellow brick road before.

:cool:
Woodson has Yasir Rosemond on staff for a reason, and it’s not X’s and O’s. You’ll recall YR was caught on tape in Vegas trying to be a part of the scheme that landed several Addidas reps and a few coaches in some hot legal water. He couldn’t deliver to them so he ended up not breaking the law, but he wanted to be a part of the illegal stuff. In the NIL world where you’re not supposed to be able to offer things, I’m sure he’s actively testing those standards every day. He’s one of the guys who got Fife booted, since coaching isn’t what matters to him. At this point, I doubt IU is constrained much by their view of the rules. They’ve been irrelevant for so long that they just want to get back to some level where they matter. Plus, they have a huge departmental deficit, thousands of empty seats at every game, and a football program that draws tens of hundreds of fans. Financially, even with all the money they get from the Big 10, they’re still screwed up. Desperate people usually do desperate things.

Last edited:
He’s a gracious guy who said some gracious things. Funny that the Indinia fans are surprised by this kind of conduct. Even funnier that they keep showing up here looking for validation. IU really does suck. Their fans prove it every day.
Why would I expect validation here? Do you expect validation from IU fans? I know that won't happen, so no, not what I'm looking for.

But when a thread is titled "Woodson and Indiana Basketball", I'm gonna look at it. And when the OP spouts rampant speculation that disparages the program and couldn't be further from the truth, I'm going to post actual statements (not rumors) that show those rumors to be BS.

You can continue to believe the trash from a guy that will continue to spew it as long as Bob Knight isn't coach, because he got butt hurt when he was fired. I'm just trying to give a viewpoint that isn't unsubstantiated rumors. That's all I'll say, have a good one.

Woodson has Yasir Rosemond on staff for a reason, and it’s not X’s and O’s. You’ll recall YR was caught on tape in Vegas trying to be a part of the scheme that landed several Addidas reps and a few coaches in some hot legal water. He couldn’t deliver to them so he ended up not breaking the law, but he wanted to be a part of the illegal stuff. In the NIL world where you’re not supposed to be able to offer things, I’m sure he’s actively testing those standards every day. He’s one of the guys who got Fife booted, since coaching isn’t what matters to him. At this point, I doubt IU is constrained much by their view of the rules. They’ve been irrelevant for so long that the just want to get back to some level where they matter. Plus, they have a huge departmental deficit, thousands of empty seats at every game, and a football program that draws tens of hundreds of fans. Financially, even with all the money they get from the Big 10, they’re still screwed up. Desperate people usually do desperate things.
Wasn't he the one that said "I'll do anything to facilitate the deal". In the fact he's their leading recruiter 🤔

Reactions: Kern County
Why would I expect validation here? Do you expect validation from IU fans? I know that won't happen, so no, not what I'm looking for.

But when a thread is titled "Woodson and Indiana Basketball", I'm gonna look at it. And when the OP spouts rampant speculation that disparages the program and couldn't be further from the truth, I'm going to post actual statements (not rumors) that show those rumors to be BS.

You can continue to believe the trash from a guy that will continue to spew it as long as Bob Knight isn't coach, because he got butt hurt when he was fired. I'm just trying to give a viewpoint that isn't unsubstantiated rumors. That's all I'll say, have a good one.
kthanksbai

Talking to a good friend today...former banker...who has great connections to the IU basketball program.

Dane was let go because of his belief that punishments should be tougher than Woodson was giving and he hated the way players were allowed to go through the motions. More Knight in Fife than Izzo, and Dane confronted Woody about it. Woodson accused Fife of insubordination and trying to run the show. Woodson also takes no advice from his assistants and all they do is work during practices.

It seems that Matta didn't agree with Woodson's philosophy either, that he wouldn't listen to Thad, who would have pretty much taken any opportunity to get away from the current situation in Bloomington. I'm personally happy for Matta because he's always been a great guy.

According to my friend, it's total chaos right now in Trailer City trying to save Johnson's scholarship. I'm guessing there is a shortage of Old Milwaukee Light in Monroe County tonight.

Also, look for Woodson to rely on the portal for players and slow down recruiting. For what he wants to do to mimic the NBA, that suits him better.

Why was your friend let go at the bank?

I have great connections who have said it was TOTAL chaos at that bank.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT