ADVERTISEMENT

Think Woodson is gone after this year?

Met Alford once. Seemed nice enough.
My exposure to Alford was very limited. Met him a few times when I was with Luke's dad. In those few encounters he was very friendly and was very nice to my two young sons. They were given a cool "backstage" tour of Carver-Hawkeye and the locker rooms. For young b-ball fans that was very impressive. We were probably fortunate to move away from Iowa a couple years later, or else I might have lost them forever!!

If they came up with enough NIL and returned the touted 3 and grabbed some guards, they could have a very good team next year. However, if they lose Ware and probably will, I doubt they get an adequate or comparable player as Ware next year and won't be towards the top of the Big. Need Ware to really be good to make sure he gets drafted as a no brainer. Makes IU fans happy as well, since they are or seemed to be, more concerned about their players going to the NBA than what they accomplish at IU.
I don’t get this logic, as I feel it works against them because it shows that with nba players, they aren’t able to win. And they don’t really develop nba players…those players were already going to the nba since they were so highly touted as recruits regardless of where they went except maybe Vic Olapido…but I have a suspicion he would have blossomed anywhere. I guess may OG ?

I don’t get this logic, as I feel it works against them because it shows that with nba players, they aren’t able to win. And they don’t really develop nba players…those players were already going to the nba since they were so highly touted as recruits regardless of where they went except maybe Vic Olapido…but I have a suspicion he would have blossomed anywhere. I guess may OG ?
The best comp I can think to Vic is Ivey. Both were explosive athletes and showed a high ceiling and with the right system and work, they became lottery picks. Similar 247 rankings (Vic was 122 and Jaden was 99).

OG was in the 200s so not sure his comp but certainly showed ability to develop a kid.

I don't know that there is logic in them viewing their players going to the NBA and not caring how they do at IU unless they really don't care about IU and only care about the NBA. Finding logic in many of their thoughts is a fleeting exercise. That said, "IF" they could hold on to the three players and pull in some guards they could be pretty good. Whether than happens or not is for another day

• Haha
Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
I don't know that there is logic in them viewing their players going to the NBA and not caring how they do at IU unless they really don't care about IU and only care about the NBA. Finding logic in many of their thoughts is a fleeting exercise. That said, "IF" they could hold on to the three players and pull in some guards they could be pretty good. Whether than happens or not is for another day
Yeah no doubt. If they get guards that fit woodsons system and that can run it how he wants it to be run, they would be pretty competitive..expensively if they retain Ware. But if IU blows it all up and goes with a new coach, I don’t see many guys sticking around.

Reactions: z_one and tjreese
The .500 record was a fluke and more of a statement on Purdue in those games, than IU
Lol. Indiana got out to a big lead at Assembly Hall last season and kept it. At Purdue, Indiana got up by 10 in the 2nd half fairly early, and Purdue never threatened at any point after. Indiana was just better in those games. Period.

Lol. Indiana got out to a big lead at Assembly Hall last season and kept it. At Purdue, Indiana got up by 10 in the 2nd half fairly early, and Purdue never threatened at any point after. Indiana was just better in those games. Period.

Look who is back after a big win yesterday. 20 + 21 thanks for playing

Reactions: z_one
Actually Purdue was worse in that game. Indiana was more "abnormal" in that game than over the season as was Purdue.

Actually Purdue was worse in that game. Indiana was more "abnormal" in that game than over the season as was Purdue.
Indiana was just better. It happens. Indiana got after Purdues guards last year and JHS exposed Purdues drop coverage defense. It was just a matchup that didn't work for Purdue last season. It happens.

Indiana was just better. It happens. Indiana got after Purdues guards last year and JHS exposed Purdues drop coverage defense. It was just a matchup that didn't work for Purdue last season. It happens.
Fully aware of matchups. Fully aware of how Purdue defended the sideline screens and drop coverage. Fully aware that Schifino had the game of his "career". That said IU played better than usual and Purdue played worse than usual particularly in the career best game for Schifino.

Last edited:
I couldn't careless about a useless win over Michigan State.
What happens to MSU if they lose to Minny on Thursday? They deserve a NIT bid if they’re bounced, guessing they’ll still get put in because of Izzo, they’d be 18-15, they wouldn’t deserve a bid.

What happens to MSU if they lose to Minny on Thursday? They deserve a NIT bid if they’re bounced, guessing they’ll still get put in because of Izzo, they’d be 18-15, they wouldn’t deserve a bid.
Well it's Michigan State so probably like a 7 seed.

Fully aware of matchups. Fully aware of how Purdue defended the sideline screens and drop coverage. Fully aware that Schifino had the game of his "career". That said IU played better than usual and Purdue played worse than usual particularly in the career best game for Schifino.
He did have a great game. That's just basketball. And Indiana was just flat out better on those 2 days. It happens.

He did have a great game. That's just basketball. And Indiana was just flat out better on those 2 days. It happens.
He had a great career game due to TJD. TJD is not playing and the D is more concerned about Schifino. The freshman were not used to all the name calling at Bloomington and the environment got to them. They knew what was going to happen this year. Still, those reasons in hand... IU was better those two games.

He had a great career game due to TJD. TJD is not playing and the D is more concerned about Schifino. The freshman were not used to all the name calling at Bloomington and the environment got to them. They knew what was going to happen this year. Still, those reasons in hand... IU was better those two games.
So Purdue fans weren't going after JHS? I think Smith turned out fine. Made him better.

So Purdue fans weren't going after JHS? I think Smith turned out fine. Made him better.
you mean recruiting him or just the focus of the D? I don't think Purdue tried to recruit him and he wasn't the focus of the D or he wouldn't have had as many open looks. You can question if that was a good decision, but who knew he would have a career game? TJD was the focus of teams that played IU and Race was worthy of fitting on a few teams. TJD is the one that caused more teams problems after he decided to play a bit harder. TJD inherited his dad's athletic ability, but his mom pointed him elsewhere

you mean recruiting him or just the focus of the D? I don't think Purdue tried to recruit him and he wasn't the focus of the D or he wouldn't have had as many open looks. You can question if that was a good decision, but who knew he would have a career game? TJD was the focus of teams that played IU and Race was worthy of fitting on a few teams. TJD is the one that caused more teams problems after he decided to play a bit harder. TJD inherited his dad's athletic ability, but his mom pointed him elsewhere
It was clear he wasn't a focus of the defense. Not after he scored 10... 15... 20... 25... It wasn't even a close game overall. Indiana handled Purdue at Mackey with ease. But that happens. It was just a game where the matchups hurt Purdue. Mainly JHS vs Purdues guards. It was Purdues Achilles heel last season.

It was clear he wasn't a focus of the defense. Not after he scored 10... 15... 20... 25... It wasn't even a close game overall. Indiana handled Purdue at Mackey with ease. But that happens. It was just a game where the matchups hurt Purdue. Mainly JHS vs Purdues guards. It was Purdues Achilles heel last season.
A-Chillies?

Sorry. Couldn't resist. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Boilers424
The way Purdue defended the sideline screen had the guards trailing and he took his size into the lane where his height was an advantage. I don’t know his scoring average but thought the 20&25 were not typical games. No TJD and Zach challenges his floater in the lane. TJD was the concern for probably all teams IU played. You couldn’t overplay his left hand within 8 feet of the rim, but surprised it didn’t happen out farther than 8 feet. I wonder how good he might have been had he went to Purdue. Very athletic but lacking skill

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
The way Purdue defended the sideline screen had the guards trailing and he took his size into the lane where his height was an advantage. I don’t know his scoring average but thought the 20&25 were not typical games. No TJD and Zach challenges his floater in the lane. TJD was the concern for probably all teams IU played. You couldn’t overplay his left hand within 8 feet of the rim, but surprised it didn’t happen out farther than 8 feet. I wonder how good he might have been had he went to Purdue. Very athletic but lacking skill
Well TJD is killing it in the NBA, so I'd say he's more than skilled enough. Considering he was the best passing and ball handling center in college last season, a great shot blocked and scorer. Purdues guards and wings just weren't good. It had nothing to do with TJD. TJD was the focus of the defense the first game and Hood-Schifino didn't go for 30.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT