ADVERTISEMENT

Think Woodson is gone after this year?

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
You think IU will take another financial hit to their athletic department budget and get rid of Woodson after the season? It seems that he has a pretty big buyout clause until April 2025, but hasn't stopped them in the past before. Also, 2 player ejections in the last 4 games. Seems that their fanbase is getting a little anxious.

I have to say that I am loving it, and I hope they don't. That might just be me that feels that way.

If he can win 20 games, he will stay. I doubt IU’s administration is as concerned about Woodson’s status as Purdue posters in this forum are. Some of you are obsessed with IU. You spend more time degrading them than praising Purdue!

Reactions: jtanoos1
He will not be fired for one bad year. The only way he leaves after this year is either A) He walks away or B) Some massive scandal comes to light.
From there, it will depend on what he can do in the off-season to secure some back-court players through the portal and shore up any defections that may occur. If they miss the post-season both this year and next, then the odds are significantly higher.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I know the Purdue/IU rivalry is big... but we have bigger fish to fry and IU is a complete non-factor to us at current. Painter and Purdue have a real opportunity to do something special and we are LOADED with talent for the foreseeable future. I kind of hope they keep him. He is a cool dude, an IU/Knight guy and more importantly... a mid college coach at best that has no discipline and frankly seems a little lazy. I hope they keep him for 5 more years and allow us to get even further ahead of them as a national contender.

But again, ultimately, I wish we would stop posting about their program on our board. It's super beneath us at this point, just let them go.... we are Don Draper in the meme at this point. Let's act like it. lolol

1y4r75.jpg

Our focus is obviously to win the ultimate prize in March. That should be the focus of any team that wants to compete on the national level.

However, they are our most hated rival. This rivalry used to be a fun rivalry, but they have been horrible in football and basketball for several years now. There was that blip last year in basketball and their football team in 2020. Otherwise, it has not even been close for a while, similar to the recent game.

Would you rather beat them by multiple points each year or have the old Knight/Keady type of rivalry games?

Our focus is obviously to win the ultimate prize in March. That should be the focus of any team that wants to compete on the national level.

However, they are our most hated rival. This rivalry used to be a fun rivalry, but they have been horrible in football and basketball for several years now. There was that blip last year in basketball and their football team in 2020. Otherwise, it has not even been close for a while, similar to the recent game.

Would you rather beat them by multiple points each year or have the old Knight/Keady type of rivalry games?
depends on how they finish the year, but I think he gets one more year

If he can win 20 games, he will stay. I doubt IU’s administration is as concerned about Woodson’s status as Purdue posters in this forum are. Some of you are obsessed with IU. You spend more time degrading them than praising Purdue!
I don't think it's unusual to fill time talking about the coach for our biggest rival, especially between games.

I'm sure IU administrators have some baseline expectations about Woodson's status, as well. Barring a major collapse, he deserves at least one more year to get things right, which I expect he'll try to do through the portal.

Why are you ridiculing and picking on the people on this board?!!! And entirely unprovoked!!!!! You are so mean!!!!!!!!

Why are you ridiculing and picking on the people on this board?!!! And entirely unprovoked!!!!! You are so mean!!!!!!!!
Perhaps I have a long history of being picked on by members of this board and I’m striking back! This is the Purdue forum. Posters here brag about posting on the IU forum and being banned. There are 14 teams in the Big 10, and who knows how many other teams in the NCAA. Yet posters here love to post about IU and their issues almost as much as Purdue. It’s as if this forum should be retitled the Purdue/iu. Forum.

On any other school forum if posters talk about other schools their threads are usually deleted as being off subject. But since this forum has no moderator threads such as this are common.

Unlike many posters, I didn’t call out any one poster, unlike you. I called out the entire forum.

Rather than being mean, I’m simply saying this forum should stick to the topic of Purdue basketball. And let the IU posters worry about their own team and issues concerning it. The neighbor’s dog was barking. Do we really need to be like facebook and start a thread about it?

I say return to Caesar what is Caesar’s . We have enough to talk about involving Purdue

• Haha
Reactions: z_one
You think IU will take another financial hit to their athletic department budget and get rid of Woodson after the season? It seems that he has a pretty big buyout clause until April 2025, but hasn't stopped them in the past before. Also, 2 player ejections in the last 4 games. Seems that their fanbase is getting a little anxious.

I have to say that I am loving it, and I hope they don't. That might just be me that feels that way.

Mellencamp has bottomless pockets

posts about iu, complains about others posting about iu...

Reactions: pu1985 and Poprudy
Perhaps I have a long history of being picked on by members of this board and I’m striking back! This is the Purdue forum. Posters here brag about posting on the IU forum and being banned. There are 14 teams in the Big 10, and who knows how many other teams in the NCAA. Yet posters here love to post about IU and their issues almost as much as Purdue. It’s as if this forum should be retitled the Purdue/iu. Forum.

On any other school forum if posters talk about other schools their threads are usually deleted as being off subject. But since this forum has no moderator threads such as this are common.

Unlike many posters, I didn’t call out any one poster, unlike you. I called out the entire forum.

Rather than being mean, I’m simply saying this forum should stick to the topic of Purdue basketball. And let the IU posters worry about their own team and issues concerning it. The neighbor’s dog was barking. Do we really need to be like facebook and start a thread about it?

I say return to Caesar what is Caesar’s . We have enough to talk about involving Purdue
I call hypocrisy.

Reactions: z_one
They can’t afford to pay the buyout for yet another failed coach, so he’ll be there at least another year. They needed a huge bailout from the IU Foundation last year to break even financially, and basketball and football attendance is falling even more. We saw plenty of empty seats in Assembly Mall last week, you can get tickets to most of their games for $20, their road crowds are really poor, and the football crowds are embarrassingly low. Woodson will be there awhile, even as the apathy grows. They just can’t afford to do any better. IU really does suck (cue the adorable sobbing).

They can’t afford to pay the buyout for yet another failed coach, so he’ll be there at least another year. They needed a huge bailout from the IU Foundation last year to break even financially, and basketball and football attendance is falling even more. We saw plenty of empty seats in Assembly Mall last week, you can get tickets to most of their games for $20, their road crowds are really poor, and the football crowds are embarrassingly low. Woodson will be there awhile, even as the apathy grows. They just can’t afford to do any better. IU really does suck (cue the adorable sobbing).
But we have been told that hiring a coach that will recruit and get you to a Final Four isn't so difficult. I wonder why blueblood IU is having such a hard time.

Reactions: RossMackey
At least they aren’t as bad as Louisville who literally cannot afford to fire any more coaches because they owe so many different buyouts.

Go look at what Trent Sisley said “Coach Walsh (an assistant) has been talking to me a lot and Coach Woodson more recently”. Like come on dude. One of the best in state kids and you’re sleeping on the job. Painter probably drives down solo just to catch a game because he likes ball.

Reactions: SKYDOG and Schnelk
I know the Purdue/IU rivalry is big... but we have bigger fish to fry and IU is a complete non-factor to us at current. Painter and Purdue have a real opportunity to do something special and we are LOADED with talent for the foreseeable future. I kind of hope they keep him. He is a cool dude, an IU/Knight guy and more importantly... a mid college coach at best that has no discipline and frankly seems a little lazy. I hope they keep him for 5 more years and allow us to get even further ahead of them as a national contender.

But again, ultimately, I wish we would stop posting about their program on our board. It's super beneath us at this point, just let them go.... we are Don Draper in the meme at this point. Let's act like it. lolol

1y4r75.jpg
Don doesn't think about him at all because he's incapable of caring about anything. A true narcissist.
NOT because he's "cool". ;)

At least they aren’t as bad as Louisville who literally cannot afford to fire any more coaches because they owe so many different buyouts.

Go look at what Trent Sisley said “Coach Walsh (an assistant) has been talking to me a lot and Coach Woodson more recently”. Like come on dude. One of the best in state kids and you’re sleeping on the job. Painter probably drives down solo just to catch a game because he likes ball.
He’s lucky to be able to see how dysfunctional things are there so he doesn’t get mired in a losing situation. Plenty of other places that will give him a much better mix of basketball and academics.

But we have been told that hiring a coach that will recruit and get you to a Final Four isn't so difficult. I wonder why blueblood IU is having such a hard time.
Their pattern of inbred hiring has finally caught up with them. Too many leadership roles filled with people whose primary qualification is that they went to school there, rather than actually being qualified for the job, has killed them. They also foolishly spent time trying to chase Brad Stevens, even though he had zero interest in going there. When Matta left for Butler, he spread the word about rampant dysfunction there. Looks like he was right. No wonder they have thousands of empty seats at most of their games.

When you ask about Woody, I really thought he'd bring IU back to the top. But when you compare Mike Davis' best year at IU (albeit with Bob's boys) Woody looks pretty bad.
He looks like he doesn’t have the energy to push that boulder up the hill. At least not as far as the IU fans want it pushed.

I am hoping he steps away. But that's just me. He just doesn't have what it takes. Wasn't a fan of the hire to begin with even. But the old guard at IU got their buddy a job and they'll likely see him fall flat on his face. As far as Purdue goes, he's guaranteed a .500 record against them if this were his last season. Only way it is his last season is if there is a plan for him to walk away and hire Dusty May.

I am hoping he steps away. But that's just me. He just doesn't have what it takes. Wasn't a fan of the hire to begin with even. But the old guard at IU got their buddy a job and they'll likely see him fall flat on his face. As far as Purdue goes, he's guaranteed a .500 record against them if this were his last season. Only way it is his last season is if there is a plan for him to walk away and hire Dusty May.
You sure IU wants to go the mid major route and not wait and see if Dusty can do it again/do it over with another recruiting class? Does he even want the IU job with unrealistic expectations??

You sure IU wants to go the mid major route and not wait and see if Dusty can do it again/do it over with another recruiting class? Does he even want the IU job with unrealistic expectations??
Would he want the job? Without a doubt. If I were the AD, I'd already been having talks with Woodson about stepping down and retiring. And then handing a blank check to Tommy Lloyd, Scott and Bruce Pearl. Buts that's just me. I do think May would absolutely take it. How will FAU do in the tourney this year? No clue. It's a pretty wide open field this year and college basketball as a whole has been incredibly mediocre. So.. he could definitely get to the Sweet 16 again. He could lose in the first round. Depends on matchups and if you're on a roll as a team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT