ADVERTISEMENT

ODU

Now, not that I expect major changes, but...
"IF" they play Carver AND Robinson at the same time and Carver is no threat on O, then "maybe" if no foul trouble we "could" see for a few (Low possession game?) Haarms having Carver but playing in the lane as a one man zone more less and Tre on Robinson eliminating their low post game AND contending the jumpers in the lane (Haarms) that seem to be a good portion of their offense. Course someone has to find Carver then on the glass...judgement calls by Haarms as to when to defend the lane and yet keep Carver off the boards.

When this is said, "Aaron Carver - Junior forward. Strong on glass and rim protection but almost nonexistent offensive threat." Is he talking defensive rebounder, offensive rebounder? I would think an offensive rebounder would score some on putbacks. Anyway, without really watching a few games...lot of guess work on what tweaks Matt may do. Let's hope for none and it is smooth sailing...
After re-reading six or seven times, I do expect to see a floating Haarms, we worked on it a bit the last few games, seems to fit these guys well . . . hard to play with a 4 man who doesn't score . . .

This is far to analytical for me before 3:00pm .... i think we absolutely eviscerate them ... I got that word after 3:00pm yesterday and saved it.
I hope that word was not in reference to your health? Anyway, let's hope nobody gets hurt like last year and the Boilers still pull out a W. Defense...in your face...playing ugly sounds physical...just hope it is clean...

I hope that word was not in reference to your health? Anyway, let's hope nobody gets hurt like last year and the Boilers still pull out a W. Defense...in your face...playing ugly sounds physical...just hope it is clean...
butterflies can't play unclean ... we will hold them under 55

After re-reading six or seven times, I do expect to see a floating Haarms, we worked on it a bit the last few games, seems to fit these guys well . . . hard to play with a 4 man who doesn't score . . .
Course we may not see them together. I hope they have practiced this a bit...but who practices against it. Dribble containment is the word for the day...and grabbing the defensive rebounds maybe are the defensive concerns.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
butterflies can't play unclean ... we will hold them under 55
hard to believe with the clock even if they use all the clock that Purdue doesn't score over 55..."if" they (ODU) get one shot...

Last edited:
Course we may not see them together. I hope they have practiced this a bit...but who practices against it. Dribble containment is the word for the day...and grabbing the defensive rebounds maybe are the defensive concerns.
I meant them having a 4 that can't score, so no penetrate the middle and hit the baseline cutter ... or so it seems ...

Good stuff Girl. And I applaud your responses on the ODU message board. They seem like a decent group. Continue to BTFU!
Thanks.
I like their board. You can tell that it is an intelligent bunch. No one has attacked me merely for being a boilermaker and they are making solid observations regarding our team. Not perfect but close for not seeing us play much.

I meant them having a 4 that can't score, so no penetrate the middle and hit the baseline cutter ... or so it seems ...
The few video I've watched shows them penetrating by the dribble into the lane a lot. I'm curious if Purdue forces baseline effectively or not...and the video is not against Big Ten teams. I just think contain the dribble...switch when you can without a disadvantage and force them to take contested shots...don't make the stupid foul that haunts you later in the game when they add up. Again, this in your face D they talk about might be the catalyst Carsen needs...????

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Thanks.
I like their board. You can tell that it is an intelligent bunch. No one has attacked me merely for being a boilermaker and they are making solid observations regarding our team. Not perfect but close for not seeing us play much.
I started to get access a few days ago...but didn't

Thanks.
Ummm ... I wouldn't know what to do ... Meaning I am a busy man, of course!!! .... CURIOUS - St. Mary's or 'Nova?

The few video I've watched shows them penetrating by the dribble into the lane a lot. I'm curious if Purdue forces baseline effectively or not...and the video is not against Big Ten teams. I just think contain the dribble...switch when you can without a disadvantage and force them to take contested shots...don't make the stupid foul that haunts you later in the game when they add up. Again, this in your face D they talk about might be the catalyst Carsen needs...????
just caught a few minutes here

and have no idea about WKU, but ODU doesn't extend their D very far...very compact and as I expected (so far) most the offense is off the dribble...don't see a lot of off ball action. If they are that compact against Purdue Carsen, Cline, Sasha, Aaron and Grady will be within range...course CArsen may not get to the rim like I thought based upon earlier comments. Course this is WKU and not Purdue...the D might have a few more tweaks. Also, didn't see any switching by ODU. Does ODU see a lot of screening away from the ball???

just caught a few minutes here

and have no idea about WKU, but ODU doesn't extend their D very far...very compact and as I expected (so far) most the offense is off the dribble...don't see a lot of off ball action. If they are that compact against Purdue Carsen, Cline, Sasha, Aaron and Grady will be within range...course CArsen may not get to the rim like I thought based upon earlier comments. Course this is WKU and not Purdue...the D might have a few more tweaks. Also, didn't see any switching by ODU. Does ODU see a lot of screening away from the ball???
ran the "Flex Cut" a bit...spacing appeared to get out of flex after the cut
FlexABCA.GIF

They’re a 14 seed. There should be “no such thing as a broken heart” against old dominion. If CMP can’t win this one we will have to “Snapback” to reality and potentially “Break up with him.”

Translation: Looking for any excuse to fire th B1G COY and nationalist COY Finalist......mental giants never cease to amaze.

I think Nojel is going to be the secret weapon in this game. They will defend Carsen who is ailing anyway. They will attempt to neutralize Haarms with their 7' centers. They will have nothing to contest Nojel. Cline will get his 10-12 points. It will hinge on Nojel.

Good luck guys!

:cool:

Think I read one of their guards is 6’5” but guessing he doesn’t have Nojel’s D....

Now, not that I expect major changes, but...
"IF" they play Carver AND Robinson at the same time and Carver is no threat on O, then "maybe" if no foul trouble we "could" see for a few (Low possession game?) Haarms having Carver but playing in the lane as a one man zone more less and Tre on Robinson eliminating their low post game AND contending the jumpers in the lane (Haarms) that seem to be a good portion of their offense. Course someone has to find Carver then on the glass...judgement calls by Haarms as to when to defend the lane and yet keep Carver off the boards.

When this is said, "Aaron Carver - Junior forward. Strong on glass and rim protection but almost nonexistent offensive threat." Is he talking defensive rebounder, offensive rebounder? I would think an offensive rebounder would score some on putbacks. Anyway, without really watching a few games...lot of guess work on what tweaks Matt may do. Let's hope for none and it is smooth sailing...
I can’t imagine the kid being that bad but if he is, your plan is perfect. I have done that before with youth teams. Very effective.

I could see Eifert floating in that situation also.

Noooooooooooo ... Not the dreaded FLEXXX CUT ... I thought they outlawed it.
I see a few teams do the cut over the years, but few actually run the entire offense..and most start out in a 2-3 set

Noooooooooooo ... Not the dreaded FLEXXX CUT ... I thought they outlawed it.
just the cut...no downscreen, the screener actually met who would usually screen and congested the elbow...maybe hopeful for a curl down to the basket???

just the cut...no downscreen, the screener actually met who would usually screen and congested the elbow...maybe hopeful for a curl down to the basket???
If they don't go out with Haarms or Tre on the perimeter, Purdue can keep using them to screen until carsen or Ryan have an open look..I mean if they only send one person out that far and if they go out...dive, be ready for help and hit Ryan or Grady for the open three in whichever player came to help. Usually the left side helps..

Last edited:
Reactions: Carolsh
If they don't go out with Haarms or Tre on the perimeter, Purdue can keep using them to screen until carsen or Ryan have an open look..I mean if they only send one person out that far and if they go out...dive, be ready for help and hit Ryan or Grady for the open three in whichever player came to help. Usually the left side helps..
Looks like their X Green can get it going...streaky? Lot of individual play..don't see CArsen getting to the rim like I thought as much because I don't see the in your face D. I see more positional D. The individual play is the type of thing that has bit Purdue in the final seconds after leading, but I think it takes a poor game by teh Boilers to end up with a L even though we know there is some finite probability no matter how unlikely it is. If Boilers shoot "average" or just Carsen gets it going and the team is so so...I think Purdue plays Saturday

Last edited:
Stith is. I found it interesting that NE isn’t guarding him according to CMP. Of course I expect switching to occur frequently anyway.
I just now listened to the video of him and think Nojel guards the Caver (PG) he is a scorer and stith gives him credit for setting tempo. If he is that key....nojel is the man

I could see Eifert floating in that situation also.
no doubt they are not going to hug Carver out of the lane who ever has him...just need to be close enough to get a body on him for the defensive board

Stith is. I found it interesting that NE isn’t guarding him according to CMP. Of course I expect switching to occur frequently anyway.
I saw an ODU post suggesting Eastern may guard Caver who is their dribble penetrating guard which initiates most of their offense.
If Nojel can keep him out the paint I think they struggle. If Caver truly can’t shoot Nojel can go under screens for him further helping contain the dribble.

I saw an ODU post suggesting Eastern may guard Caver who is their dribble penetrating guard which initiates most of their offense.
If Nojel can keep him out the paint I think they struggle. If Caver truly can’t shoot Nojel can go under screens for him further helping contain the dribble.
I think he can shoot, but in the Stith video even he says Caver sets the tone...so why not cut the head off

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT