ADVERTISEMENT

I'm actually glad it's NC State

Great Osobor said similar things and is potentially better than Burns. But I get it, I wouldn't expect him to come out and say anything different.

I have little doubt that once he goes up against Zach for a bit he'll have the "WTF did I do to deserve this" kinda moment.
What did Great say?

The kid has been interviewed by every major sports show in America in the last four days. He is being hailed all over Twitter by NBA players and other celebs. His head might have blown up a bit. But, he did have the presence of mind to correct himself… by saying not on this stage. Of course he has not been on this stage and has never faced anything like Zach.

Reactions: BBG
She just said that today. She said some houses were up several hundred thousand. Who can afford that? WHY the increase cost in housing?
The Triangle is a Tech Mecca. Apple is building a huge campus in Wake County. Wake Forest was 4k people in 87. It’s now over 50k and still exploding. Raleigh used to be 10 miles away. It now abuts Wake Forest. We’ve got Three very large Universities within 28 miles. People love the weather and geographic location. Mountains or coast in 3 hours. It’s terrible. Please tell everybody. :)

The Triangle is a Tech Mecca. Apple is building a huge campus in Wake County. Wake Forest was 4k people in 87. It’s now over 50k and still exploding. Raleigh used to be 10 miles away. It now abuts Wake Forest. We’ve got Three very large Universities within 28 miles. People love the weather and geographic location. Mountains or coast in 3 hours. It’s terrible. Please tell everybody. :)
So the move was strictly the company he and two other guys have that is going to be bought out again in the next year or so. If they don't offer him the contract he wants to keep him after being bought out to his satisfaction he wanted to be in the triangle to either do consulting or work for some company there. she just sent me a text concerning Kure beach that they will go spend a couple of days...letting me know some other things to do when I visit...like Civil War history. ;)

The kid has been interviewed by every major sports show in America in the last four days. He is being hailed all over Twitter by NBA players and other celebs. His head might have blown up a bit. But, he did have the presence of mind to correct himself… by saying not on this stage. Of course he has not been on this stage and has never faced anything like Zach.
I'll get a better feel in a couple of minutes, but I just worry about a couple of bad calls against Zach that changes a lot of what Purdue does. I know who is the better player. I know what should happen. If Purdue is not hit with some unusual calls and plays a good game, Purdue should win.

So the move was strictly the company he and two other guys have that is going to be bought out again in the next year or so. If they don't offer him the contract he wants to keep him after being bought out to his satisfaction he wanted to be in the triangle to either do consulting or work for some company there. she just sent me a text concerning Kure beach that they will go spend a couple of days...letting me know some other things to do when I visit...like Civil War history. ;)
3 hours from here. We’ve got beautiful beaches. They’re terrible. Tell everyone. :)

• Haha
Reactions: ejs1111 and tjreese
I'm just trying to decide if he simply is supremely confident or ignorant of what he is going up against.
They are playing with house money - no offense to them and their run but that is a fact. They certainly can be more relaxed and calm because they had no expectations coming into the tourney.

We have/had a lot - depending on how you want to look at it. Perhaps some of the weight was lifted after making it to the Final 4 and we will come out loose and locked in.

Regardless, I didn't take his comments to be a dig or anything at Purdue and Edey. Just a kid who is confident in his game and abilities answering a question. Do I think Zach is going to have those comments on his pre-game mix to fire himself up? You bet - and that kid doesn't need a lot to ignite the fire.

Reactions: tjreese and BBG
I'll get a better feel in a couple of minutes, but I just worry about a couple of bad calls against Zach that changes a lot of what Purdue does. I know who is the better player. I know what should happen. If Purdue is not hit with some unusual calls and plays a good game, Purdue should win.
If the fouls are early it’s more of a problem. A second early in the first half, a third early in the second. Hopefully we won’t see something we have never seen with Zach. That is one of those games when every time a player returns to the game after sitting he gets another foul and never gets the rhythm and minutes. Usually that requires some stupid fouls in addition to a bad call or two.

Reactions: tjreese
They are playing with house money - no offense to them and their run but that is a fact. They certainly can be more relaxed and calm because they had no expectations coming into the tourney.

We have/had a lot - depending on how you want to look at it. Perhaps some of the weight was lifted after making it to the Final 4 and we will come out loose and locked in.

Regardless, I didn't take his comments to be a dig or anything at Purdue and Edey. Just a kid who is confident in his game and abilities answering a question. Do I think Zach is going to have those comments on his pre-game mix to fire himself up? You bet - and that kid doesn't need a lot to ignite the fire.
I didn't take it as a dig, just either really uninformed or overflowing confidence lol

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Three and five second calls are hardly ever called. I saw one all year in my Grandson's High School game. I like to sit close to the floor under the basket when I can, and I actually counted out loud seven seconds and still the ref never called it.
Wasn't the rule invented to keep the "aircraft carrier" bags from being so dominant? Basically, to even the playing field for the teams lacking a dominant big man? If so, maybe it's de-emphasized due to the trend for the style of play to not play through the center.

My mental self-preservation is kicking in as I remember how I laughed last year when the FDU coach said that he thought his team could beat Purdue. Not laughing this year when expressions of bravado come out of their camp. I assume they believe it, and that makes them dangerous. As some people on this board have reminded us, it's not who you play, it's when you play them.

My mental self-preservation is kicking in as I remember how I laughed last year when the FDU coach said that he thought his team could beat Purdue. Not laughing this year when expressions of bravado come out of their camp. I assume they believe it, and that makes them dangerous. As some people on this board have reminded us, it's not who you play, it's when you play them.
They are very old and mature having won 9 games in a row. They have every reason to feel good about where they are. "IF" Zach defends Burns, Burns will be the first guy that can score in the mid range game and try to put Zach into a first step move while also crafty enough to score different ways. I do think Burns is right that he may be the first person to put offensive pressure on Zach...which if he can puts Zach in an "unusual" situation. I just think that if Zach is smart and calls do not get absurd but consistent for the previous 100+ games, Zach will not be in foul trouble. If neither are in foul trouble...Zach should win the rebounds and points battle. Hence we may see Trey starting out on Burns...and will Caleb see minutes? They may put Diarra on Zach as I mentioned elsewhere to try to shore up that high ball screen and trying to prevent Braden's mid range game. If they do that, where is Burns ? Is he in enough drop that he attempts to hold Zach out farther when Zach rolls? Does Burns just stay on Trey? If so, does Purdue seek out Trey with Burns defending him?

They want to protect Burns and Purdue wants to protect Zach. They can't afford to lose Burns or both Middlebrook and Diarra and if there exist no reason to expect them to prevent Zach from getting the ball without leaving an open look which may bring in Mason earlier than usual. If Zach has his touch and is not pushed out too deep or rode while shooting...Zach should get his and if he does and hits his FTs NCS will decide to let him get what he does or start fouling.

It could be that the 5s may not be the factor. Corralling Horne and not letting other perimeter players have the game of their career...or that battle when Mason comes in...undersized at the 4, but possibly flipping the table by stroking it on the perimeter. We may even see Cam some on Diarra. Cam although shorter, could board with Diarra "IF" he gets a good block out and can run the court better if the time came and defend Diarra if outside a bit. I just think when it is all said and done that Purdue has more ways of scoring and depth. I'm mostly concerned about a highly efficient mid-range game from NCS in the general scheme . Anyway, as Matt has said, NCS is undefeated at this time and playing better than before. Nothing unusual and Purdue wins, but Purdue has experienced more often than desired, unusual events...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT