ADVERTISEMENT

ODU

Yeah, think Purdue is going to be fine inside...although refs in the tourney can surprise you...see Roy Hairston's torn jersey as a result of holding him down on a offensive rebound at the end of the game not called. I really don't know whether Carsen's shot is on, but think he finds his way to the rim more. They are similar in size and the weights suggest solid. They probably are reasonably good athletes...assuming that since they hang their hat on D. Wheeler may be an X factor here inside on the boards and if he runs the court. Just think Purdue will push it when it can...but need the discipline to know when to pull back as well,

Purdue needs to play confidently inside. That means running the offense and finding good feeds. ODU plays "in your face" defense - our guards have to be comfortable.

Going back to the Little Rock game, we didn't play confidently inside. We settled for shooting 3s.

It also means we have to play confidently on the defensive end. They don't get their bigs involved much offensively, but we have to clean up the boards, not get lost defensively and not pick up cheap fouls. If we can get beyond the first 5 minutes without foul issues, I'll feel a lot better.

Purdue needs to play confidently inside. That means running the offense and finding good feeds. ODU plays "in your face" defense - our guards have to be comfortable.

Going back to the Little Rock game, we didn't play confidently inside. We settled for shooting 3s.

It also means we have to play confidently on the defensive end. They don't get their bigs involved much offensively, but we have to clean up the boards, not get lost defensively and not pick up cheap fouls. If we can get beyond the first 5 minutes without foul issues, I'll feel a lot better.
I know nothing about their play. Cant imagine anymore belly up than Illinois though. Maybe more physical if the refs allow, buy probably not quicker

Reactions: purduepat1969
CE, NE and AW need to get out and go for this one. I don't think ODU can stop our break. They are going to try to keep the game in the 50's if they can. Just don't play their game and PU should be fine.

I know many of you don't put much weight on the officials, or more to the point, how they call the game...…….but I do. The officials in this game could really influence the outcome IMO. I'll go with the "just call it consistently" crowd before I really start to hate them LOL

I did the same. They don't know a lot about the way Purdue plays. At times they are kind of correct. Their fans seem to hang their hats on the D they play and how they have the ability to get physical if they need to. If they do enjoy a great defensive effort I am sure they will pleased with the way Purdue plays. As math said, they have not said much about Nojel. He should be able to feast on them at times.

Just because the fans have not noticed Nojel any opposing coaching staff worthy of pay has. He does average 28+ minutes. Someone on ODU's staff has noticed him. But I vote for feasting with or without fan notice.

Reactions: purduepat1969
I know many of you don't put much weight on the officials, or more to the point, how they call the game...…….but I do. The officials in this game could really influence the outcome IMO. I'll go with the "just call it consistently" crowd before I really start to hate them LOL
Refs always have an effect and have a bias that is an advantage to a certain type of play. They too are human. That could favor Purdue and may not...and may have little effect on the outcome, but there is a bias...we all would

Refs always have an effect and have a bias that is an advantage to a certain type of play. They too are human. That could favor Purdue and may not...and may have little effect on the outcome, but there is a bias...we all would

I'll be ready TJ...…...one call to Guido is all it'll take

They’re a 14 seed. There should be “no such thing as a broken heart” against old dominion. If CMP can’t win this one we will have to “Snapback” to reality and potentially “Break up with him.”

Yea. Great idea. Dump the coach of the year over one game. I’m sure we’ll attract a ton of great candidates after such a brilliant move.

Reactions: Flot
One ODU guy posted this. Apparently, word on IU is getting around......

bit_9

mod.gif

I Root For: ODU
RE: ODU vs Purdue

Hi Boilermakers! I'm going to invite my neighbor across the street over to watch the game with me. He went to Purdue and is a huge fan, so will make for some fun watching. We immediately texted each other during selection show.

P.S. Indiana sucks.
03-nutkick.gif

Yea. Great idea. Dump the coach of the year over one game. I’m sure we’ll attract a ton of great candidates after such a brilliant move.

I think the OP was being sarcastic. If you're a country music fan, Old Dominion is a band with song titles that are in quotation marks in his post.

One ODU guy posted this. Apparently, word on IU is getting around......

bit_9

mod.gif

I Root For: ODU

Hi Boilermakers! I'm going to invite my neighbor across the street over to watch the game with me. He went to Purdue and is a huge fan, so will make for some fun watching. We immediately texted each other during selection show.

P.S. Indiana sucks.
03-nutkick.gif
Probably a connection to a visitor at Mackey. Sometimes knowledge takes a while and why repetition is crucial. There will be a lost generation somewhere I'm sure

Reactions: PU pit bull
ODU has a lot of similarities to Purdue's make up.

It's not an offensive juggernaut (averaging 66 points a game), but typically maximizes possessions with pretty good rebounding (leads Conference USA in rebounding margin) and limited turnovers. It also leads Conference USA in scoring defense.

It starts a 7' and has one that comes off the bench as well, so raw size will not be an advantage for Purdue. Its big guys are not big offensive producers typically.

Almost all of ODU's offensive production comes from the guard position with a 6'5" guard leading the way. They shoot 22 3s a game at a 35% clip - not bad.

They go 9 deep - in their conference championship game, 9 guys played 10+ minutes.

ODU's best win of the season came against Syracuse in the Carrier Dome - so they won't be intimidated. Syracuse shot pretty poorly - but inside and out, and were out rebounded by 5.

This won't be some walk in the park - any team that can play good defense and shoots a lot of 3s at a decent rate can be dangerous for a first round match up.

Purdue will need to be hungry on the boards and value possessions - not any different than most other games, but ODU can outrebound/play tough defense and will not be shy about shooting 3s, which can be frustrating to play against if you don't show up (see LR).
speaking out of ignorance since I haven't seen them play and only reading a few things...I'm a bit concerned if this gets to a slugfest. I hope Purdue pushes the ball when able and has teh discipline to know when it is not there. If close or behind I look for as limited possessions as the shot clock allows (rebound the fricking ball) and less possessions and volume shooting that is astray is NOT a good combo. Anytime and everytime Purdue can get a bit of a push with Carsen parallel or and ODU playing slightly ahead but running down the court...get the ball to Carsen and see if he can make a play. If Purdue starts out smart and gets a decent lead...Purdue can grind it out. ODU wants it close at the end...Purdue doesn't. Only a F'ing ref unaware of the physics at play would call a charge when two players are running down thd court in close proximity since there is no help setting up.

Would love to see their perimeter players thinking foremost about getting back on D while in their offense. Hope I'm wrong...don't want my heart pulsating like usual! ;)

Would love to see their perimeter players thinking foremost about getting back on D while in their offense. Hope I'm wrong...don't want my heart pulsating like usual! ;)

No kidding! Glad I'm not the only one who teeters on the edge of cardiac arrest when watching the Boilers. I'm like a pop tart in a broken toaster... one moment sitting, the next moment standing (shouting!), and repeat. Maybe I should lug the exercise bike up out of the basement and pedal while watching? Might help me burn off some nervous energy.

Reactions: tjreese
I know nothing about their play. Cant imagine anymore belly up than Illinois though. Maybe more physical if the refs allow, buy probably not quicker
I have read that they are susceptible to straight line drives, much like Illinois. Carson and Nojel could make hay and I think Hasrms could get some slips and keepers to the rim as well.
They are agrresive and physical on defense and deliberate on offense.

I have read that they are susceptible to straight line drives, much like Illinois. Carson and Nojel could make hay and I think Hasrms could get some slips and keepers to the rim as well.
Yeah I read that as well. FWIW...I have said I think Carsen gets to the rim more. ;) Nojel needs to go strong and look for contact when going up...dunk it when he can. If their BJ has a similar game to Carr at Penn State (and it sounds like he does) Nojel will be fine.

Want to see Cline with his sites adjusted and ready for assassination...…….him making shots will force ODU into some decision making. And Grady needs to bring his "floor burn" attitude......not worried about that though. But that will set a tone...…….game on!!!!

just caught a few brief moments on youtube. Looks like a concerted effort to drive into the lane and compress the D. It will be interesting if Purdue makes a strong effort to force baseline. Teh clips show a lot of one one one scoring and a few behind the arc stationary shots. Couldn't find a lot of screening...some along the baseline...really need a couple of games to view, but appear to have a lot of one on one type guards...as somewhat expected in those team. I can see Haarms seeing their jumpers in teh lane as eye candy, but someone MUST get the board if he is contesting shots...course stop the dribble penetration into the lane and I suspect you stop them overall. Will the refs call it tight on the perimeter and loose underneath..or vice versa...or tight everywhere or loose everywhere?

Getting into a grind is familiar territory for Purdue and if they play a decent game they should get the W, but we have all see oddities in this game and it is not the best team in a series, but at that moment and in THAT environment. Dribble containment on D and force them one on one a bit farther out... ;)

Reactions: Purdue85
Yeah I read that as well. FWIW...I have said I think Carsen gets to the rim more. ;) Nojel needs to go strong and look for contact when going up...dunk it when he can. If their BJ has a similar game to Carr at Penn State (and it sounds like he does) Nojel will be fine.

They play an "in your face" defense. Carsen should be able to get a step on his man and drive to the basket. Same for Nojel. I think their defense will play right into the hands of our guards. Haarms will also be able to slip away from screens and dive to the bucket.

They play an "in your face" defense. Carsen should be able to get a step on his man and drive to the basket. Same for Nojel. I think their defense will play right into the hands of our guards. Haarms will also be able to slip away from screens and dive to the bucket.
yeah ...Dakota and I already discussed that. Just so hard to really know seeing highlight clips...

Unless BJ is as good as Cassius Winston I’m not overly concerned. Nojel will keep him under average. If he is not used to Beastern level defense he may get shutdown.
I think that their 285 pound 7’ guy is going to very tired of the “horns” set and covering dribble hand offs, fake dribble hand offs, pick and rolls, slips, anything that makes him play in space.

Check out their message board TJ. I get a hoot out of this stuff. Much respect to Carsen on there. Probably more than found on here. They have funny posters too.

https://csnbbs.com/thread-872869-page-6.html

Well they aren’t wrong. If Purdue has an off night shooting, that plays into their hands. They want to foul and draw out possessions. If they can stay close, that is dangerous for Purdue.

Unless BJ is as good as Cassius Winston I’m not overly concerned. Nojel will keep him under average. If he is not used to Beastern level defense he may get shutdown.
I think that their 285 pound 7’ guy is going to very tired of the “horns” set and covering dribble hand offs, fake dribble hand offs, pick and rolls, slips, anything that makes him play in space.
absolutely anything in space should be difficult for him...UNLESS you can compensate with physical play that is allowed. No way will he move well enough on the perimeter. Course, I'm sure they want to feed him the ball and see if he can damage Purdue inside with fouls. None of their players can penetrate at will like Simpson or Winston I'm sure...and do expect Nojel to be effective in this game as well...especially with players that are used to using their strength and length on jumpers in the lane.

According to their coach..."Grady is the one that makes them go" and so I think they want to defend all of Purdue and hope Carsen doesn't get loose for too many... ;)

absolutely anything in space should be difficult for him...UNLESS you can compensate with physical play that is allowed. No way will he move well enough on the perimeter. Course, I'm sure they want to feed him the ball and see if he can damage Purdue inside with fouls. None of their players can penetrate at will like Simpson or Winston I'm sure...and do expect Nojel to be effective in this game as well...especially with players that are used to using their strength and length on jumpers in the lane.

According to their coach..."Grady is the one that makes them go" and so I think they want to defend all of Purdue and hope Carsen doesn't get loose for too many... ;)
Good point on the physical play. Hopefully the freedom of movement rules still apply.
Also interesting that their coach said Grady was key.
If I’m playing against Purdue, I want Carsen to feel tons of pressure to see if he is in control or out of it. Also, to make it hard for him to pass to the roll, I encourage him to dribble sideways and back when possible. The farther out he dribbles the better. I want the passing lanes to be long for him. I cover up Cline and live with whatever is left.
If Grady, Wheeler, Haarms and Williams beat me, so be it.

e·vis·cer·ate
  1. disembowel (a person or animal).
    "the goat had been skinned and neatly eviscerated"
    synonyms: disembowel, gut, remove the innards from, draw, dress; More
    • deprive (something) of its essential content.

Is anyone listening to this guy on DD’s show??? Wow is he hating on the B10 and Purdue in particular. Doug Kazarian

certainly Haarms is more mobile than most 7 footers and I imagine more mobile than theirs. However, what "if" they let the 7 footer 285 lb play very physical inside and swallow the whistle? Can the whistle or lack of negate Haarms...and at 7 foot and 285 Tre won't move him around as easy as some..although no doubt more skilled.

More often than not...the better teams have really good bigs and the gap between bigs is typically larger than the guards as you would expect just due to population differences creatng number differences. I think Purdue is better inside.

I also think Carsen gets to the rim easier in this game. With them being more deliberate and not shooting as well...I would love to see Purdue get the ball off a miss and into Carsens hands at half court in a race to the basket. Carsen is very good in open court and this puts their guards in a tough spot as well...and maybe gets Carsen a jump start for the game.

Not knowing their offensive play..would like them concerned with Purdue's push...
Just tell Carsen not to dunk the ball on every fast break.

To be fair, a team's fans are not necessarily represented by what you find on a fan forum. Look at this place....I'd assume Purdue fans were schizo - after a win it's sunshine and rainbows, and even the hint of a loss it's we need to burn the program down and start over.
I think that’s pretty standard on most forums.

Good point on the physical play. Hopefully the freedom of movement rules still apply.
Also interesting that their coach said Grady was key.
If I’m playing against Purdue, I want Carsen to feel tons of pressure to see if he is in control or out of it. Also, to make it hard for him to pass to the roll, I encourage him to dribble sideways and back when possible. The farther out he dribbles the better. I want the passing lanes to be long for him. I cover up Cline and live with whatever is left.
If Grady, Wheeler, Haarms and Williams beat me, so be it.

Good stuff Girl. And I applaud your responses on the ODU message board. They seem like a decent group. Continue to BTFU!

Good breakdown here:

mturn017
ODU Homer
heisman.gif

I Root For: Old Dominion

Welcome Dakota Girl!

We do sound similar in our make up and philosophy but you guys undoubtably seem to have more weapons.

I’ll give you a breakdown of our players and these guys can correct me where I go astray. I’ve lurked on your board a bit and seen some questions about the roles each play. So we can answer some here and the lurker bees and carry it back to the hive.

We’re led by two senior guards Ahmad Caver and BJ Stith. They’re the heart, soul and glue of the team.

Ahmad Caver - True point guard. Good ball handler, good TO 2 Assist ratio. Good on the ball defender, quick hands can create turnovers. Decent shooter, 37% from 3. Can drive the lane. Quick enough but very strong for his size and has the senior experience to know how to draw a foul. Unfortunately not the best FT shooter in fact everyone on the team is under 70% except BJ Stith. Can and will put the team on his back when needed. Has also been accused of being a “hero” by fans at times but we’re critical.

BJ Stith - Shooting guard. Best rebounder on the team. Leading scorer. Wingspan makes him longer than his height portrays. Look for him to curl around to the FT line and either go to the basket or pop the midrange jumper. Also dangererous from three and will drive the baseline. Dude is constantly moving while on offense. He was a consistent scorer most of the season but is hopefully recovered from a late season slump.

Elbert Robinson - He’s a BIG Dude. Grad Transfer from LSU. Starts game but plays limited minutes. Back to the basket powerful center. Had some troubles earlier in the season handling the ball and shuffling his feet but really progressed. Not real mobile on d and will probably have trouble keeping up with Haarms so if he’s confortable pulling up for a jumper he’ll get the chance.

Aaron Carver - Junior forward. Strong on glass and rim protection but almost nonexistent offensive threat.

Dajour Dickens - Transfer center from Providence. The more mobile 7 footer. Runs the floor well, good shot blocker, has a good touch on his shots but hasn’t yet been a big part of our offense.

Xavier Green- rd freshman guard. The rising star. He’s shown he’s got a smooth game shooting and driving. Has deferred to the seniors a lot of the season but recently come into his own and shown more confidence. Also has been put on guarding the other teams best player.

Jason Wade - True freshman guard. Quick to the basket, hesitant to take an outside shot. Good defender. He will be a great player for us.

Kalu Ezipke - True freshman center. Not a back to the basket player. Light on his feet and good hands around the basket. Good defender. Also will be a great player.

Justice Kithcart-Transfer guard from Pitt. The guy plays with a lot of energy. Maybe quickest player on the team and can knock down a three. Sometimes a little overzealous on both sides of the ball though. Over commits on d and sometimes drive to the basket without a plan on what to do when he gets there. Has provided us with a shot in the arm plenty this season when we needed it.

Overall we’re a defense first team, almost exclusively man to man. I doubt you’ll see any zone, we used it effectively against Syracuse but they were a poor perimeter shooting team. As coach Jones said in an interview recently we’re somewhat offensively challenged. We’ll get out in transition when we can and do well on offensive rebounds and second chance points. We have a lot of new players that have shown flashes throughout the season but rely a lot on our seniors. Those seniors are driven though. We’ve been down by double digits more times than I can count and have come back including the wins over Syracuse and VCU. We even spotted WKU a 21-0 lead in our first win over them. We won’t give up, play our best ball gritty. We want to play ugly and make you play uglier.

We’re excited about being back in the dance and the team is too. There are more knowledgeable basketball fans than me so please add what I’ve missed.

Good breakdown here:

mturn017
ODU Homer
heisman.gif

I Root For: Old Dominion

Welcome Dakota Girl!

We do sound similar in our make up and philosophy but you guys undoubtably seem to have more weapons.

I’ll give you a breakdown of our players and these guys can correct me where I go astray. I’ve lurked on your board a bit and seen some questions about the roles each play. So we can answer some here and the lurker bees and carry it back to the hive.

We’re led by two senior guards Ahmad Caver and BJ Stith. They’re the heart, soul and glue of the team.

Ahmad Caver - True point guard. Good ball handler, good TO 2 Assist ratio. Good on the ball defender, quick hands can create turnovers. Decent shooter, 37% from 3. Can drive the lane. Quick enough but very strong for his size and has the senior experience to know how to draw a foul. Unfortunately not the best FT shooter in fact everyone on the team is under 70% except BJ Stith. Can and will put the team on his back when needed. Has also been accused of being a “hero” by fans at times but we’re critical.

BJ Stith - Shooting guard. Best rebounder on the team. Leading scorer. Wingspan makes him longer than his height portrays. Look for him to curl around to the FT line and either go to the basket or pop the midrange jumper. Also dangererous from three and will drive the baseline. Dude is constantly moving while on offense. He was a consistent scorer most of the season but is hopefully recovered from a late season slump.

Elbert Robinson - He’s a BIG Dude. Grad Transfer from LSU. Starts game but plays limited minutes. Back to the basket powerful center. Had some troubles earlier in the season handling the ball and shuffling his feet but really progressed. Not real mobile on d and will probably have trouble keeping up with Haarms so if he’s confortable pulling up for a jumper he’ll get the chance.

Aaron Carver - Junior forward. Strong on glass and rim protection but almost nonexistent offensive threat.

Dajour Dickens - Transfer center from Providence. The more mobile 7 footer. Runs the floor well, good shot blocker, has a good touch on his shots but hasn’t yet been a big part of our offense.

Xavier Green- rd freshman guard. The rising star. He’s shown he’s got a smooth game shooting and driving. Has deferred to the seniors a lot of the season but recently come into his own and shown more confidence. Also has been put on guarding the other teams best player.

Jason Wade - True freshman guard. Quick to the basket, hesitant to take an outside shot. Good defender. He will be a great player for us.

Kalu Ezipke - True freshman center. Not a back to the basket player. Light on his feet and good hands around the basket. Good defender. Also will be a great player.

Justice Kithcart-Transfer guard from Pitt. The guy plays with a lot of energy. Maybe quickest player on the team and can knock down a three. Sometimes a little overzealous on both sides of the ball though. Over commits on d and sometimes drive to the basket without a plan on what to do when he gets there. Has provided us with a shot in the arm plenty this season when we needed it.

Overall we’re a defense first team, almost exclusively man to man. I doubt you’ll see any zone, we used it effectively against Syracuse but they were a poor perimeter shooting team. As coach Jones said in an interview recently we’re somewhat offensively challenged. We’ll get out in transition when we can and do well on offensive rebounds and second chance points. We have a lot of new players that have shown flashes throughout the season but rely a lot on our seniors. Those seniors are driven though. We’ve been down by double digits more times than I can count and have come back including the wins over Syracuse and VCU. We even spotted WKU a 21-0 lead in our first win over them. We won’t give up, play our best ball gritty. We want to play ugly and make you play uglier.

We’re excited about being back in the dance and the team is too. There are more knowledgeable basketball fans than me so please add what I’ve missed.
I assume CE guards Caver and NE Stith?

Seems right, Grady on Carver, let the chips fall . . .
Now, not that I expect major changes, but...
"IF" they play Carver AND Robinson at the same time and Carver is no threat on O, then "maybe" if no foul trouble we "could" see for a few (Low possession game?) Haarms having Carver but playing in the lane as a one man zone more less and Tre on Robinson eliminating their low post game AND contending the jumpers in the lane (Haarms) that seem to be a good portion of their offense. Course someone has to find Carver then on the glass...judgement calls by Haarms as to when to defend the lane and yet keep Carver off the boards.

When this is said, "Aaron Carver - Junior forward. Strong on glass and rim protection but almost nonexistent offensive threat." Is he talking defensive rebounder, offensive rebounder? I would think an offensive rebounder would score some on putbacks. Anyway, without really watching a few games...lot of guess work on what tweaks Matt may do. Let's hope for none and it is smooth sailing...

"IF" they play Carver AND Robinson at the same time and Carver is no threat on O, then "maybe" if no foul trouble we "could" see for a few (Low possession game?) Haarms having Carver but playing in the lane as a one man zone more less and Tre on Robinson eliminating their low post game AND contending the jumpers in the lane (Haarms) that seem to be a good portion of their offense. Course someone has to find Carver then on the glass...judgement calls by Haarms as to when to defend the lane and yet keep Carver off the boards.

When this is said, "Aaron Carver - Junior forward. Strong on glass and rim protection but almost nonexistent offensive threat." Is he talking defensive rebounder, offensive rebounder? I would think an offensive rebounder would score some on putbacks. Anyway, without really watching a few games...lot of guess work on what tweaks Matt may do. Let's hope for none and it is smooth sailing...
This is far to analytical for me before 3:00pm .... i think we absolutely eviscerate them ... I got that word after 3:00pm yesterday and saved it.

Last edited:

I've never seen someone miss from within 2 feet as much as Aaron Carver.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT