ADVERTISEMENT

ODU

lbodel

All-American
Jul 15, 2006
ODU has a lot of similarities to Purdue's make up.

It's not an offensive juggernaut (averaging 66 points a game), but typically maximizes possessions with pretty good rebounding (leads Conference USA in rebounding margin) and limited turnovers. It also leads Conference USA in scoring defense.

It starts a 7' and has one that comes off the bench as well, so raw size will not be an advantage for Purdue. Its big guys are not big offensive producers typically.

Almost all of ODU's offensive production comes from the guard position with a 6'5" guard leading the way. They shoot 22 3s a game at a 35% clip - not bad.

They go 9 deep - in their conference championship game, 9 guys played 10+ minutes.

ODU's best win of the season came against Syracuse in the Carrier Dome - so they won't be intimidated. Syracuse shot pretty poorly - but inside and out, and were out rebounded by 5.

This won't be some walk in the park - any team that can play good defense and shoots a lot of 3s at a decent rate can be dangerous for a first round match up.

Purdue will need to be hungry on the boards and value possessions - not any different than most other games, but ODU can outrebound/play tough defense and will not be shy about shooting 3s, which can be frustrating to play against if you don't show up (see LR).

They’re a 14 seed. There should be “no such thing like a broken heart” against old dominion. If CMP can’t win this one we will have to “Snapback” to reality and potentially “Break up with him.”

This is gonna get old really quick, if this is what every game is predicated on. Most people 3 months ago didn't think Purdue was going to be in the tournament. Does every thread have to turn into this?

They’re a 14 seed. There should be “no such thing like a broken heart” against old dominion. If CMP can’t win this one we will have to “Snapback” to reality and potentially “Break up with him.”

This is gonna get old really quick, if this is what every game is predicated on. Most people 3 months ago didn't think Purdue was going to be in the tournament. Does every thread have to turn into this?
no kidding, what's wrong with these people. Can't they enjoy anything. PU since 1994 has lost in the first round twice by a total of 3 points both in ot.

no kidding, what's wrong with these people. Can't they enjoy anything. PU since 1994 has lost in the first round twice by a total of 3 points both in ot.
My friends look up old dominion and the words from my post in quotation marks. This post was sarcasm. Those are all songs by the country band old dominion lol

My friends look up old dominion and the words from my post in quotation marks. This post was sarcasm. Those are all songs by the country band old dominion lol
I was going to say that sounds depressing. Should've guessed country. I missed your sarcasm due to the few outspoken posters looking for negativity in everything.

Reactions: BoilerGal74
Also of note, ODU lost to Arizona State on a neutral site by 5.

Syracuse was ranked #25 when ODU beat them.

They've been in a lot of close games because of their defense -- avoiding that is the biggest key as that's not where you want to be with a team playing with house money.

They are aggressive defensively - Carsen has to help facilitate and we can't afford a 5+ turnover night from him. Purdue just has to play smart. If Purdue gets going offensively, we should do quite well, but we can't get into a super inefficient game. Just be patient.

they are not very good offensively, and their centers do NOT shoot from 3 at all, like..at all

we should be able to then trap their 2 scoring guards on screens since we dont have to worry about their bigs popping for a shot

I think as long as we dont turn the ball over like crazy, we should be pretty safe in this one

villanova worries me though, but I am hoping for St. Marys to ride their high from beating gonzaga and taking them out for us

Reactions: Yellowstone1004
I was going to say that sounds depressing. Should've guessed country. I missed your sarcasm due to the few outspoken posters looking for negativity in everything.
Be sure to check out my live chat on Tuesday to take your mind off the negativity

You clown

This will not be a cake walk at all. They are a down to earth squad that plays D and knows how to grind games out. We must rebound. I watched quite a bit of the C-USA Championship, as has been said, depth is a big strength. Yes they have height but I think Haarms and Trevion can have really good games, especially if we're looking to pass first on offense. their guard BJ Stith is their Carsen.

As far as being a 14 seed, who gives a rip. A 14 hasn't won the last 2 years but did like the 6 years prior. About every 10 years it happens twice in the same tourney, most recently was 2015 when two won within minutes of each other C-USA rep UAB knocked off IA St and Ga St Baylor each by 1.

I think if we rebound well and don't totally stink it up from 3 (we really haven't since the game in Bloomington), we should win by 10.

Be sure to check out my live chat on Tuesday to take your mind off the negativity
Right. Let’s put the negativity away! If you think there’s any accuracy to be found in Jeff Sagarin’s ratings they say that if the games were played today, Purdue would beat OD byDOUBLE-digits and would beatVillanova in a very close one. Thst's at least a little cause for some positivity instead of negativity. BOILER UP!

Right. Let’s put the negativity away! If you think there’s any accuracy to be found in Jeff Sagarin’s ratings they say that if the games were played today, Purdue would beat OD byDOUBLE-digits and would beatVillanova in a very close one. Thst's at least a little cause for some positivity instead of negativity. BOILER UP!
I hope you have some good inquiries cooked up for me Tuesday, brother

- Carsen has to help facilitate and we can't afford a 5+ turnover night from him. Purdue just has to play smart. If Purdue gets going offensively, we should do quite well, but we can't get into a super inefficient game.

does every thread have to turn into this

Reactions: James J Chitwood

giphy.gif

- Carsen has to help facilitate and we can't afford a 5+ turnover night from him. Purdue just has to play smart. If Purdue gets going offensively, we should do quite well, but we can't get into a super inefficient game.

does every thread have to turn into this

Any time we face a good defensive team, absolutely. Are we just supposed to pretend it hasn't been an issue?

The root of upsets in the tournament tend to come from bad shooting and turnovers.

Any time we face a good defensive team, absolutely. Are we just supposed to pretend it hasn't been an issue?

The root of upsets in the tournament tend to come from bad shooting and turnovers.
Short of the Dukies getting knocked out in the first round I won't consider any loss an upset this year as wide open as the field is.

One of the joys at Tourney time, for me at least, is getting to know the school/schools you play. I like to get on their forum and find out the similarities and differences among the fans. I like to read about "Purdue" from an outsiders viewpoint. Sometimes they don't know squat about us.....so reading their thoughts can be funny at times. We are no different I'm sure. ODU fans seem alright. It's always interesting reading someone else "size" up our team and coach. They respect that the state of Indiana takes basketball incredibly seriously. Of course they don't know the little things or the background players (ie BIG TRE) that make this team dangerous. Anyway, I wish them luck in anything but basketball. BTFU!!!

they are not very good offensively, and their centers do NOT shoot from 3 at all, like..at all

we should be able to then trap their 2 scoring guards on screens since we dont have to worry about their bigs popping for a shot

I think as long as we dont turn the ball over like crazy, we should be pretty safe in this one

villanova worries me though, but I am hoping for St. Marys to ride their high from beating gonzaga and taking them out for us
It sounds like we should not have to double the post like we have through most of the conference season.
That makes hard hedges and traps on ball screens workable.
I also think Nojel could have a huge impact given all the scoring comes from guards.

It sounds like we should not have to double the post like we have through most of the conference season.
I also think Nojel could have a huge impact given all the scoring comes from guards.

Agree completely. If we're not double teaming the post, our guards (Nojel and Cline) should be able to stick like glue on theirs and prevent a hot 3 point shooting night. In other words, make them beat you on penetration to the basket and thru their big men.

They’re a 14 seed. There should be “no such thing as a broken heart” against old dominion. If CMP can’t win this one we will have to “Snapback” to reality and potentially “Break up with him.”

All things being equal Purdue should win, but they aren't a 100% lock. Even if they win this 90% of the time have you ever seen a 90% free throw shooter brick a free throw? Of course you have. When that happens do you think that person forgot how to shoot free throws or do you think that was just the 10% rearing it's ugly head?

Don't know anything about them as far as offense. I wonder if they do a lot of ball screens? They probably switch a lot with so many of similar size . If they are deliberate on O and don't shoot well maybe we can push the ball a bit and get it to carsen in open court speeding to the rim...get him going on some quick downs

I think Nojel is going to be the secret weapon in this game. They will defend Carsen who is ailing anyway. They will attempt to neutralize Haarms with their 7' centers. They will have nothing to contest Nojel. Cline will get his 10-12 points. It will hinge on Nojel.

Good luck guys!

:cool:

Reactions: Schnelk
I think Nojel is going to be the secret weapon in this game. They will defend Carsen who is ailing anyway. They will attempt to neutralize Haarms with their 7' centers. They will have nothing to contest Nojel. Cline will get his 10-12 points. It will hinge on Nojel.

Good luck guys!

I like this. I also like the thought of Big Tre coming in and providing the ole' one two punch.

Good luck guys!

I like nojel to thrive against smaller school guys. His drives are going to look strong.
Get nojel, wheeler and tre going and the boilers might get rolling

Reactions: Schnelk
ODU has a lot of similarities to Purdue's make up.

It's not an offensive juggernaut (averaging 66 points a game), but typically maximizes possessions with pretty good rebounding (leads Conference USA in rebounding margin) and limited turnovers. It also leads Conference USA in scoring defense.

It starts a 7' and has one that comes off the bench as well, so raw size will not be an advantage for Purdue. Its big guys are not big offensive producers typically.

Almost all of ODU's offensive production comes from the guard position with a 6'5" guard leading the way. They shoot 22 3s a game at a 35% clip - not bad.

They go 9 deep - in their conference championship game, 9 guys played 10+ minutes.

ODU's best win of the season came against Syracuse in the Carrier Dome - so they won't be intimidated. Syracuse shot pretty poorly - but inside and out, and were out rebounded by 5.

This won't be some walk in the park - any team that can play good defense and shoots a lot of 3s at a decent rate can be dangerous for a first round match up.

Purdue will need to be hungry on the boards and value possessions - not any different than most other games, but ODU can outrebound/play tough defense and will not be shy about shooting 3s, which can be frustrating to play against if you don't show up (see LR).

Honestly, I love playing any team that plays a 7’ because I know ours is better than theirs. Small ball is what’s beaten Purdue in the NCAA. I hope they keep a 7’ on the floor for 40 minutes. No way they win playing that way.

Honestly, I love playing any team that plays a 7’ because I know ours is better than theirs. Small ball is what’s beaten Purdue in the NCAA. I hope they keep a 7’ on the floor for 40 minutes. No way they win playing that way.

I agree with this. Haarms is too mobile for other 7 footers. Then bring Tre in the game and it will be hard for them to contain two very skilled big men.

All things being equal Purdue should win, but they aren't a 100% lock. Even if they win this 90% of the time have you ever seen a 90% free throw shooter brick a free throw? Of course you have. When that happens do you think that person forgot how to shoot free throws or do you think that was just the 10% rearing it's ugly head?

OD is a horrible free throw shooting team. Surprised they are winning close games. Feel pretty confident about this game.

Reactions: NG.q15
I agree with this. Haarms is too mobile for other 7 footers. Then bring Tre in the game and it will be hard for them to contain two very skilled big men.
certainly Haarms is more mobile than most 7 footers and I imagine more mobile than theirs. However, what "if" they let the 7 footer 285 lb play very physical inside and swallow the whistle? Can the whistle or lack of negate Haarms...and at 7 foot and 285 Tre won't move him around as easy as some..although no doubt more skilled.

More often than not...the better teams have really good bigs and the gap between bigs is typically larger than the guards as you would expect just due to population differences creatng number differences. I think Purdue is better inside.

I also think Carsen gets to the rim easier in this game. With them being more deliberate and not shooting as well...I would love to see Purdue get the ball off a miss and into Carsens hands at half court in a race to the basket. Carsen is very good in open court and this puts their guards in a tough spot as well...and maybe gets Carsen a jump start for the game.

Not knowing their offensive play..would like them concerned with Purdue's push...

Reactions: purduepat1969
certainly Haarms is more mobile than most 7 footers and I imagine more mobile than theirs. However, what "if" they let the 7 footer 285 lb play very physical inside and swallow the whistle? Can the whistle or lack of negate Haarms...and at 7 foot and 285 Tre won't move him around as easy as some..although no doubt more skilled.

More often than not...the better teams have really good bigs and the gap between bigs is typically larger than the guards as you would expect just due to population differences creatng number differences. I think Purdue is better inside.

I also think Carsen gets to the rim easier in this game. With them being more deliberate and not shooting as well...I would love to see Purdue get the ball off a miss and into Carsens hands at half court in a race to the basket. Carsen is very good in open court and this puts their guards in a tough spot as well...and maybe gets Carsen a jump start for the game.

Not knowing their offensive play..would like them concerned with Purdue's push...

Historically, I don't think they've allowed the physcality that we see during conference play. So I can see Haarms getting their bigs in foul trouble, especially on pick and roll situations from a high screen. Haarms will be able to dive to the basket much quicker. And if the big doesn't play him honestly, Haarms is able to hit a jump shot from free throw range.

Reactions: tjreese
One of the joys at Tourney time, for me at least, is getting to know the school/schools you play. I like to get on their forum and find out the similarities and differences among the fans. I like to read about "Purdue" from an outsiders viewpoint. Sometimes they don't know squat about us.....so reading their thoughts can be funny at times. We are no different I'm sure. ODU fans seem alright. It's always interesting reading someone else "size" up our team and coach. They respect that the state of Indiana takes basketball incredibly seriously. Of course they don't know the little things or the background players (ie BIG TRE) that make this team dangerous. Anyway, I wish them luck in anything but basketball. BTFU!!!

To be fair, a team's fans are not necessarily represented by what you find on a fan forum. Look at this place....I'd assume Purdue fans were schizo - after a win it's sunshine and rainbows, and even the hint of a loss it's we need to burn the program down and start over.

Historically, I don't think they've allowed the physcality that we see during conference play. So I can see Haarms getting their bigs in foul trouble, especially on pick and roll situations from a high screen. Haarms will be able to dive to the basket much quicker. And if the big doesn't play him honestly, Haarms is able to hit a jump shot from free throw range.
Yeah, think Purdue is going to be fine inside...although refs in the tourney can surprise you...see Roy Hairston's torn jersey as a result of holding him down on a offensive rebound at the end of the game not called. I really don't know whether Carsen's shot is on, but think he finds his way to the rim more. They are similar in size and the weights suggest solid. They probably are reasonably good athletes...assuming that since they hang their hat on D. Wheeler may be an X factor here inside on the boards and if he runs the court. Just think Purdue will push it when it can...but need the discipline to know when to pull back as well,

To be fair, a team's fans are not necessarily represented by what you find on a fan forum. Look at this place....I'd assume Purdue fans were schizo - after a win it's sunshine and rainbows, and even the hint of a loss it's we need to burn the program down and start over.

After a win there's somewhat reasonable discussion about the program.

After a loss the d@mn sky is falling, and there's a campaign to get a mob together with torches and pitchforks to head off to the AD's office to fire the coach.

After a win there's somewhat reasonable discussion about the program.

After a loss the d@mn sky is falling, and there's a campaign to get a mob together with torches and pitchforks to head off to the AD's office to fire the coach.
Fans come in all stripes, but think the largest difference in some outspoken fans is not in Matt's abilities as a coach, but that some consider the coach responsible for recruiting and others see the coach in conjuction with other variables at play. There is one maybe more that has typed that think the recruiting is fine, but the coaching isn't. Most however, think recruiting could and a smaller majority think it should be better and how they view teh coach relative to that success is the biggest divide IMO

Reactions: BoilerIron
I did the same. They don't know a lot about the way Purdue plays. At times they are kind of correct. Their fans seem to hang their hats on the D they play and how they have the ability to get physical if they need to. If they do enjoy a great defensive effort I am sure they will pleased with the way Purdue plays. As math said, they have not said much about Nojel. He should be able to feast on them at times.

Reactions: PU pit bull
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT