FG %: 49.6 (16th)
Assists/game: 17.1 (10th)
FT%: 74.7 (62nd)
Rebounds/game: 35.26 (188th)
Assist to TO Ratio: 1.60 (8th)

ESPN's BPI Matchup Predictor: 96.6% Purdue
Spread: TBA

Prediction:
Against the Hoosiers, the Scarlet Knights scored the most points (76) since playing Purdue back on February 3rd (Purdue won 78-76). That would also be the 5th highest scoring total for the entire season for Rutgers (scored 94, 92, 83, and 80). However, only one of those games came in a conference game this season (80 against Iowa). With playing their third game in three days, a well rested Purdue (and most importantly Vincent Edwards), and a Purdue team that seemed to figure out what makes them so potent on offense again (passing the ball and movement off of it), Purdue should have little trouble in getting to the semi-finals against either OSU or PSU.

Purdue: 82
Rutgers: 66

Last edited:
Reactions: Zaphod_B
In keeping with the Lenten tradition of no red meat on Friday I predict we leave Rutgers looking and smelling like a load of bad fish on a hot sunny dock.
92-72 Boilers.

Some interesting statements from a couple of the Boilers on this evening's game:

PJ Thompson:

"You're going to get judged by what you did in the postseason. You don't want to be known as people who won a lot of games in the regular season and always came up short when it really mattered.

We have an opportunity, with this being the best team we've been on, to make some noise and to do well. It starts Friday in the Big Ten tournament.

We know how to get there. It's just about finishing it. It's a new year and a new opportunity for us to finally win the Big Ten Tournament. People say that's harder to do than win the Big Ten, because three games in three days is hard to do."

Isaac Haas:

"Coach Painter's communicated to us that hey, look, our goals are still there. If you still want to hang a banner this year, then you've got to win the tournament. Plus, you have a chance to be a No. 1 seed. I'm really excited to step up and be a part of it."

Rutgers has been so unpredictable... Generally bad, but they’ve had surprising wins and close losses against really good teams. I say we win but not in a total blowout. Purdue 82 Rutgers 71

Going to need to contain Corey Sanders (IU couldn't) and then Baker from the perimeter. Might need to try things differently on defense. Rutgers is better than their record when they want to be. They are motivated now, we need to be ready of course. Purdue 80, Rutgers 70.

I agree with the player's sentiments. this team will be remembered most for their post season accomplishments, not their regular season wins. And as Painter and Haas indicated, Purdue has placed themselves in a position if they win the BIG 10 tourney, I truly believe they will receive a #1 seed. Winning the tourney should mean 2 significant victories over OSU, and Mich/MSU. I don't believe both Nova and Xavier will receive #1s. We can do this. It's all about finishing the game.

Louisville showed us the path NOT to follow. Up by 4 with 1 second left and still lose. That is not OUR path. We've gone that path before. Time to forge a new path.

The memory of bowing out to Michigan in last year's quarterfinal should provide additional motivation, even if the team isn't quite as jacked up as they would be for Indiana.

I hope this plays out similar to 2016 when Purdue actually lost at Michigan late in the season but rebounded to beat the Wolverines soundly in the B1G Tournament. We'll see.

The memory of bowing out to Michigan in last year's quarterfinal should provide additional motivation, even if the team isn't quite as jacked up as they would be for Indiana.

I hope this plays out similar to 2016 when Purdue actually lost at Michigan late in the season but rebounded to beat the Wolverines soundly in the B1G Tournament. We'll see.
prediction: RU will have more fans present, will be in red, see more of Eastern, Carsen comes up big, we win by 16.

Rutgers will have tired legs in second half - our D will be excellent tonight and we will play focused. Vince, Carson and Dakota all have huge games. Boilers by 20 - Vegas says 15

I ‘m hoping to get past this game, then beat OSU in semi-Finals, to then takeMSU in finals. No way we don’t get #1seed if that plays out...

I think that Purdue can win this game easily. Purdue is the better team and Rutgers has had two hard games in the past 48 hours. That has to affect them, especially late.

I hope that CMP uses the bench a lot once a good lead is established. If Purdue wins, they have either OSU or PSU tomorrow. Both of those teams have given Purdue trouble in the recent past. The status of the PSU center is a key question in that game. He did not play yesterday iirc. PSU desperately needs to beat OSU, so they should give them a hard time under any circumstances.

The object is to win the BTT. Advance and give rest when you can.

Reactions: Roeder
I think that Purdue can win this game easily. Purdue is the better team and Rutgers has had two hard games in the past 48 hours. That has to affect them, especially late.

I hope that CMP uses the bench a lot once a good lead is established. If Purdue wins, they have either OSU or PSU tomorrow. Both of those teams have given Purdue trouble in the recent past. The status of the PSU center is a key question in that game. He did not play yesterday iirc. PSU desperately needs to beat OSU, so they should give them a hard time under any circumstances.

The object is to win the BTT. Advance and give rest when you can.

Think PSU has said he’s out for season but could have dreamed that...

I think we'll learn quickly if we should plan for a second week in the NCAA. If they come out and smoke Rutgers, take control early and OWN the game - then I see us making the sweet 16. If we struggle, pull away at the end, then it will be a short live March

I think we'll learn quickly if we should plan for a second week in the NCAA. If they come out and smoke Rutgers, take control early and OWN the game - then I see us making the sweet 16. If we struggle, pull away at the end, then it will be a short live March

Hmmmmm....I’d wait to give Vince a chance to get back into his rhythm before I write us off. And that might take a game or two but the team will carry us until he does. Go stir the pot elsewhere...

If Carsen wears 2 earrings during shot around, we make it to the Final 4.

If only 1, we will lose by 50 to Rutgers.

Reactions: Dakota Girl
We win by 15 and Vince looks more like the pre flu Vince tonight. Carsen will dominate like his usual self.

Hmmmmm....I’d wait to give Vince a chance to get back into his rhythm before I write us off. And that might take a game or two but the team will carry us until he does. Go stir the pot elsewhere...

OK - sorry - didn't realize we can't have a discussion on the discussion board!

WE ARE GOING TO THE FINAL FOUR!!!!!!

Boilers win, but closer than expected game from Rutgers. They played us very tough in Piscataway and their guards are dynamic playmakers in isolation and those types of players have given us issues. Need a good collective defensive effort and rebounding from everyone.

Reactions: rgarlitz
This literally makes zero sense

Looking at your profile picture...let me see if I can simplify:

If the team plays well today (Purdue scores many more points than opponent) - this could be a leading indicator that the team is rested, they have recovered from injuries and we are well positioned to win many games in March. This is GOOD

or

Team plays poorly today (Purdue scores less points than the opponent, or maybe just a few more points than the opponent) - this could indicate the team is still a bit tired, injuries are lingering and we are not well positioned to win many games in March. This is BAD (although some people would ignore this indicator and still say this is GOOD)

As previously pointed out - we are only to look at the GOOD scenario to today.

Therefore, we will score many more points than our opponent and we will all feel very good about the Purdue basketball program. Further comment on the topic or alternative viewpoints are not a valid use of the internet.

I think this will be close. I think the spread is 14.5, but I expect it to be closer than that. The key will be Nojel on Sanders. PJ is good defender, but he gives up size. Carsen is a very good defender as well, but you don't necessarily want your best scorer guarding their best scorer. Could see some switching as well, but Nojel has the length to shut Sanders down. PJs shooting has been in a bit of a slump, and if he isn't knocking down shots consistently, Eastern has shown he can come in and change the pace as well as locking down the opposing guards. I would like to see Eastern in the 20-25 minute range. Boilers by 9 in the 65-80 range for both teams.

Looking at your profile picture...let me see if I can simplify:
If the team plays well today (Purdue scores many more points than opponent) - this could be a leading indicator that the team is rested, they have recovered from injuries and we are well positioned to win many games in March. This is GOOD or Team plays poorly today (Purdue scores less points than the opponent, or maybe just a few more points than the opponent) - this could indicate the team is still a bit tired, injuries are lingering and we are not well positioned to win many games in March. This is BAD (although some people would ignore this indicator and still say this is GOOD)
As previously pointed out - we are only to look at the GOOD scenario to today. Therefore, we will score many more points than our opponent and we will all feel very good about the Purdue basketball program. Further comment on the topic or alternative viewpoints are not a valid use of the internet.

The thrust of your post was that if we OWN the game that you can see as making the sweet 16.

If we are moving the ball inside and out, rebounding and boxing out and playing hard nose D, then we should be National Champs.

There is no team that has both the inside and outside game of Purdue and as long as we move the ball we have the best consistency in the country. We have hard nose man to man defenders and we intimidate inside. We box out well and can use more of our physical strength to grab more rebounds during the playoffs and March Madness.

Our only weakness is when we make poor decisions by not getting the ball inside throughout the game.

Reactions: BoilerGal74
Just watching back ground run of Empire State Building... being colored in last 6 remaining B1G colors. Winner is to have it all in their colors. Let’s paint the Empire in Gold and Black!!!

Ok. I am back from one of the longest transits I have ever had for a business trip. 30 hours of plane time. Looking forward to the team that looks almost unbeatable. They still have it. PUrdue roles tonight 88 -62

Okay...Suited up into my Purdue Warm-Up Suit...A few years ago my sister’s ( who lives in West Lafayette) street had their annual yard sale and at the time a Purdue Asst Coach lived on her street. They knew she and my brother-in-law were IU grads so when they saw her looking at some old Purdue stuff for sale they came up to see if she was sick...lol! She told them no but that her older sister was a Purdue Alum living in NC who bled Black and Gold. The Coach said “ Wait a minute” went inside and came out with one of the Ladies’ complete warm up suits. Wouldn’t take any $$$ for it at all..... I always save them for the Tourneys and special games...So Boiler Up... Lets go show all of New York what a Boilermaker is!!!

Ok. I am back from one of the longest transits I have ever had for a business trip. 30 hours of plane time. Looking forward to the team that looks almost unbeatable. They still have it. PUrdue roles tonight 88 -62

Welcome home.....And Boiler Up!!!

Reactions: rgarlitz
For a supposedly weak Conference that’s somewhat top heavy we sure have had some close games. I’m ready for a blow out by the Good Guys!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT