ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Southern v. Purdue Game Thread

Purdue Grad in Texas

All-American
Mar 22, 2010
Good evening, Ladies and Gentleman. The Texas Southern Tigers (0-6) visit Mackey Arena tonight to take on the #1-ranked Purdue Boilermakers (6-0). Tip-off is scheduled for around 8:30 pm (Eastern time) with television coverage on the Big Ten Network.

Projected Starting Line-Ups:

Texas Southern - Jahmar Young, Jr., Jonathan Cisse, Kehlin Farooq, PJ Henry, and Deon Stroud

Purdue - Zach Edey, Trey Kaufman-Renn, Lance Jones, Fletcher Loyer, and Braden Smith

Texas Southern remained winless on the season after falling on the road at the Drake Bulldogs on Saturday, 77-71. The Tigers are led in scoring by senior guard, PJ Henry, who had 27 points against Drake. Texas Southern averages just 54 points per game, and the 71 against the Bulldogs was their highest total of the season. The Tigers are also shooting just 26 percent from beyond the 3-pt arc.

Purdue, now ranked number one for the third consecutive season, is coming off an impressive showing in Hawaii, taking the Maui Invitational with a thrilling 78-75 victory over the 3rd-ranked Marquette Golden Eagles. Zach Edey led the Boilers with 28 points and 15 rebounds in the victory, his 5th double-double of the season and was named the tournament's outstanding player.

These teams have met once in their history, as Purdue won 76-56 in Mackey Arena on Dec. 17, 2017.

Although this will not be one of Purdue's strongest opponents, the Boilers cannot afford to take any game lightly.....win or lose, complacency and lack of fundamentals and determination can lead to bad habits. However, with a road conference game coming up Friday and coming off a tough three games in three days for the Maui Tournament, this game does come at a good place in the schedule for Purdue to get back to competition. I would expect Matt Painter will loosen up the rotation a little tonight, so you should see a little more of Myles Colvin and Cam Heide than the last couple of games - they likely will be needed more as the season wears on.

Purdue's defense has been fairly solid so far this year compared to expectations - it will be interesting to see the level of intensity. Also, how much will Purdue focus the offense early with Zach Edey. Edey is 7th in the NCAA in scoring, 6th in rebounds, and 7th in blocks. Braden Smith is top-15 in assists in the NCAA. Offensively, Purdue still has had some inconsistent moments with spotty shooting and turnovers. The second half of the Gonzaga game and the first half against Marquette were probably the two best halves of the three games.....can the Boilers put two strong halves together tonight? We shall see in a couple of hours or so.

Boiler Up, my friends.....

i
i

I agree. Get Heidi and Colvin bigger minutes. And I'd like to see Furst and TKR on the floor together. More. Btfu!

Goodness gracious - this team had been shooting well under 30% from deep....5/9 tonight. Purdue better tighten it up, although some of these are well beyond the arc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT