ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue at Illinois: MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD

I'm going to nuance #3 a bit. Mason has been a good standstill or spot up shooter for a while. It started at the end of the year before last where Matt tried to move him to take advantage of his shooting. He shot worse coming off screens and was not as effective as Matt wanted and Purdue needed. He improved that a bit last year and also added a rare drive to the bucket. This year Mason comes off screens (top of the key shot), moves to spots behind the arc to catch and "set his feet" quicker and score...and sometimes still gets a drive. His footwork is much quicker and if you are able to go to the games you will see him moving (pregame) not much (too many balls and players) maybe 8 feet of so to catch and shoot and Purdue is benefitting from it greatly.

Many will not see that progression and therefore not appreciate the work he has put in to improve his play on the perimeter. Much respect for a guy that works as hard as he has to be more effective on the court while at the same time throwing his body and encountering any subsequent pain as a result to battle. Mason has turned the page...

He is out there in the spotlight a million miles away, giving every ounce of energy he is willing to give away, as the sweat pours out his body like the music that he plays...
Great points! He's definitely improved his footwork and he's been much better at shooting off of screens.

Don't get me wrong, he's still no Ray Allen or Rip Hamilton in that department haha, but he has certainly steadily improved, and his work effort, I'm sure, is second to none. He's a hell of a player.

Reactions: tjreese
Heide's athleticism and quickness allows him to be a better defender than Morton...and he seems to fight thru screens very well. I noticed Heidi stayed on his man even if a screen was set by the Illini.
to be honest I don't know how the two compare away from the ball, but will give Ethan an edge in passing the ball. That said Cam is my choice to defend a few people. His D is really good for a first year player. Just has to make better decisions on contesting shots...especially behind the arc. Cam's minutes will go nowhere but up...

I'm going to nuance #3 a bit. Mason has been a good standstill or spot up shooter for a while. It started at the end of the year before last where Matt tried to move him to take advantage of his shooting. He shot worse coming off screens and was not as effective as Matt wanted and Purdue needed. He improved that a bit last year and also added a rare drive to the bucket. This year Mason comes off screens (top of the key shot), moves to spots behind the arc to catch and "set his feet" quicker and score...and sometimes still gets a drive. His footwork is much quicker and if you are able to go to the games you will see him moving (pregame) not much (too many balls and players) maybe 8 feet of so to catch and shoot and Purdue is benefitting from it greatly.

Many will not see that progression and therefore not appreciate the work he has put in to improve his play on the perimeter. Much respect for a guy that works as hard as he has to be more effective on the court while at the same time throwing his body and encountering any subsequent pain as a result to battle. Mason has turned the page...

He is out there in the spotlight a million miles away, giving every ounce of energy he is willing to give away, as the sweat pours out his body like the music that he plays...
Ok Bob lol

I noted in rewatching the game that TKR hit all of his FTs? Another positive from the game.
:)
I've watched 3/4 and hate Peacock since going back and forth always brings a commercial it seems. Horrible to actually try to understand what was going on relative particular interests! I see sag, I see match up in those possessions I wanted to understand. Too much hassle to see if only after makes or dependent on player...and or location to try to understand the rules of the D for "that" game those few possessions. FWIW they sagged off Trey a lot to help on Zach when Trey was more on the perimeter, but he did hit that one FT you mentioned. ;)

I noted in rewatching the game that TKR hit all of his FTs? Another positive from the game.
:)
So, I did find a video of a time I was interested in. Look how much more sag that usual Purdue plays in man in this set? Illinois gets about 2/3s the baskets with assists as Purdue does and that tell you they have more one on one play...AND why we can see more sag than usual against Illinois. Purdue has the man they are defending, but packing the lane. I think it was expected to see more packing of the lane on weakside when Domask or Shannon had the ball. You can also see Zach can't really see his man because he is in his usual one man zone

So, I did find a video of a time I was interested in. Look how much more sag that usual Purdue plays in man in this set? Illinois gets about 2/3s the baskets with assists as Purdue does and that tell you they have more one on one play...AND why we can see more sag than usual against Illinois. Purdue has the man they are defending, but packing the lane. I think it was expected to see more packing of the lane on weakside when Domask or Shannon had the ball. You can also see Zach can't really see his man because he is in his usual one man zone

Here is another where the weakside is playing close to the lane. Everyone on the guy they defended, but packing the lane...not too worried about the perimeter shot...or giving up the ball although Fletch is defending Luke who we know can shoot and then the handoff and Lance is back on Domask. Pretty typical D when on top, but watch Mason and Zach cheat over when Domask gets it.

Last edited:
Here is another where the weakside is playing close to the lane. Everyone on the guy they defended, but packing the lane...not too worried about the perimeter shot...or giving up the ball although Fletch is defending Luke who we know can shoot and then the handoff and Lance is back on Domask. Pretty typical D when on top, but watch Mason and Zach cheat over when Domask gets it.
I know he scores, but I just don't like watching Domask's style of play. Is it just me?

Reactions: tjreese
I know he scores, but I just don't like watching Domask's style of play. Is it just me?
Nothing wrong with a player not being your cup of team. The ball generally sticks when he gets it and your dislike is probably not much different than some not liking Purdue's style with Zach. As far as being good...he is good. You can see in the videos, Purdue tweaking their D by packing the lane a bit more than usual. Neither he or Shannon are a pass first player and both want to get into the lane. Had Purdue had a place, Matt might have recruited him, but I doubt Matt would have as many ISO possessions for him

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT