ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers at Purdue: MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD

It is ok to disagree. You state your reasons. I state mine. Rebounding margin last four games:
Indiana +15
Minnesota +17
Ohio State +13
Rutgers +13

Each of the last two games we had a short segment of the game where we gave up too many offensive rebounds. I believe that the Ohio State game it was an effort issue. Therefore, Painter said so. Tonight, I believe it was bad bounces. Mistakes that are effort or focus related(turnovers, rebounds) are the ones that bother Painter most.

I still don't think we disagree on much. I just wouldn't call rebounding a "problem".
Rebounds margin assumes all rebounds are the same, they aren't. Offensive rebounds are the key stat, both your own and your opponents.

Rebound margin is a terrible metric to cite. Offensive rebound percentage is the best metric to use to assess rebounding. Purdue ended up great tonight, giving up just a 21.9% OR% but it was a big problem early when qaz posted that. Rutgers had 5 of their 7 offensive rebounds in the first 4 minutes.
I agree with everything you said, except the first sentence. There was no reason to say that. We all know that the terms "turnover" and "rebounds" are very simplistic and require a deeper look. Yet, turnovers and rebounding margin, simplistic as they may be, remain the best predictors of success in the game.

I agree with everything you said, except the first sentence. There was no reason to say that. We all know that the terms "turnover" and "rebounds" are very simplistic and require a deeper look. Yet, turnovers and rebounding margin, simplistic as they may be, remain the best predictors of success in the game
It is absolutely a terrible metric to cite. By nature, defensive rebounds are much easier to get. Therefore, rebounding margin is driven by shooting percentage and free throw rate as much more than anything else.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT