ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue at Illinois: MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD

Masonator with another big BOMB Shot!

Ken-Double-and-The-Mighty-Wurlitzer-of-Long-Center-%E2%80%93-Version-3.jpg
That’s Ken double

This was an atypical game in that Purdue was neutralized on the boards and dominated on the free throw line, but won the turnover battle. Ultimately, it was clutch shooting from 3 that made the difference. Gillis, Fletch, and Smith were clutch and Jones hit a big one at a key time as well!

This was an atypical game in that Purdue was neutralized on the boards and dominated on the free throw line, but won the turnover battle. Ultimately, it was clutch shooting from 3 that made the difference. Gillis, Fletch, and Smith were clutch and Jones hit a big one at a key time as well!
I wanted Zach to just dunk that but he didn’t look and see the dunk was there, but found Lance who hasn’t been shooting well for a three. Which worked out better. Cam had a dunk under the basket earlier but passed it out as well

Reactions: TopSecretBoiler
Woah. What a win.

1) Really nice game and 2nd half from Loyer
2) Lance Jones rushed shots and forced a bit too much, but hit a HUGE three late. Love his confidence.
3) Gillis is such a good standstill shooter.
4) Smith. My god. Stud.
5) Domask is really, really good
6) Edey’s left hand is not great, but he’s so dominant either way lol. So consistent. Just a hell of a player and kid
7) I gotta give credit to CMP for not giving up on Loyer
8) give credit to coach for playing Heide more

I wanted Zach to just dunk that but he didn’t look and see the dunk was there, but found Lance who hasn’t been shooting well for a three. Which worked out better. Cam had a dunk under the basket earlier but passed it out as well
couldn't believe Zack passed that one out, thankfully it worked in our favor

I'd have to look at it again, but I think Cam got wrong-footed stuck underneath....at least he didn't panic into a give away. He did a great job shutting down Domask for a while. Domask still got going late to give Illinois a shot.

I like that the Boilers just took it down the stretch. Illinois still looks like they could do some serious damage - and these two teams could meet again in Minneapolis or somewhere else.....you never know.

Yeah that was the most confusing Heide play. Maybe was afraid of getting fouled/stuffed and it leading to another easy one on the other end? I didn’t understand the pass out. The Edey play I could have gone either way. After getting mauled by 4 guys a few plays earlier, he had to make a quick decision.

Lance has been a hot mess lately but that corner three was huge at the end.
(What was that last possession shot?)

Thought Edey looked generally poised overall.

Braden is a beast.

Rebounding was bad tonight. Also we need to pass out of a lot of our breakaways. Doesn't end well a lot. Anyone know how many missed easy ones we had tonight?

You really posted this crap?
I’d like to say some of it reverse psychology. I do tend to be overly negative because I usually end up being wrong (comes with Purdue and Cubs fandom, you try anything)

But I really thought they were mailing it in this game. Especially in the first half. I’m happy when I’m wrong. I feel like my overconfidence in the msu game led to the close score lol

I just need the tourney to start

Best and most entertaining win of the year. Fletcher was huge tonight, Jones is scuffling shooting, that last 3 was huge though, Smith is so good, Mason his usual steady self. I thought for the most part the officials were fair, they blew some, it went both ways though. Fun game to watch, both teams played hard, no cheap shots except for that dopey Freshman holding on to Edey for dear life. Domask is really good, that was come helluve road win. Also, I’m sorry, if Gillis wants to play his Covid year at Purdue I’m not telling him he can’t lol.

Thoughts after I have calmed down:
1) I think the difference in the game was low turnovers for Purdue and Purdue overall transition defense and defense after makes/misses. They never let Shannon get going in transition to steal easy points and get the crowd really into it. Yeah he got some but compared to how he has been dominating everyone else, really put the lock down on him tonight.

2) Heide played solid minutes. Him being able to play good defense and challenge Domask physically was another key point. Felt like he should of had a lay up but kicked it out. Love that Painter has given him the Morton minutes because Heide spaces the floor so much better.

3) Edey is just special. Top 4 best player in Purdue history. Mout Rushmore of Purdue basketball

4) 3 pt shooting. 8/10 in the 2nd half. EIGHT out of ten is just outstanding. Loved that Gillis had no hesitation. We must have that type of Gillis to go deep in the tournament.

5) Loyer played good enough defense and found his rhythm on offense again. When he does that on both ends of the floor, Purdue is national title level

6) Only semi-negative is tonight is Jones. We need him to get right. His decision making was better than the MSU game where he was terrible but still took too many ill-advised 3's and didn't make good decisions in transition. But gets a semi-negative because he hit some big time 3's late in the 2nd half. So hopefully he has righted the ship in the 2nd half.

Shannon out for 10 minutes or so certainly helped Purdue......other than that, probably just the turnovers (8) - Boilers could have capitalized better. Illinois is the better team tonight so far, but 20 minutes left to change that.
you responded to this-Purdue can play much better. Can Illinois? Illinois didn't and Purdue did...what a game! Purdue's offense was lacking the first half and it led to some Illinois baskets...but not by Shannon

I'd have to look at it again, but I think Cam got wrong-footed stuck underneath....at least he didn't panic into a give away. He did a great job shutting down Domask for a while. Domask still got going late to give Illinois a shot.

I like that the Boilers just took it down the stretch. Illinois still looks like they could do some serious damage - and these two teams could meet again in Minneapolis or somewhere else.....you never know.
I never looked at his feet. I only saw he was under the basket and had space

Yeah that was the most confusing Heide play. Maybe was afraid of getting fouled/stuffed and it leading to another easy one on the other end? I didn’t understand the pass out. The Edey play I could have gone either way. After getting mauled by 4 guys a few plays earlier, he had to make a quick decision.
He jumps well enough. You don't lead with the ball, but jump up and out just a bit and jack a few jaws if they are that close and then bring the ball up as you clear space

Reactions: Schnelk
Heide's athleticism and quickness allows him to be a better defender than Morton...and he seems to fight thru screens very well. I noticed Heidi stayed on his man even if a screen was set by the Illini.

Thoughts after I have calmed down:
1) I think the difference in the game was low turnovers for Purdue and Purdue overall transition defense and defense after makes/misses. They never let Shannon get going in transition to steal easy points and get the crowd really into it. Yeah he got some but compared to how he has been dominating everyone else, really put the lock down on him tonight.

2) Heide played solid minutes. Him being able to play good defense and challenge Domask physically was another key point. Felt like he should of had a lay up but kicked it out. Love that Painter has given him the Morton minutes because Heide spaces the floor so much better.

3) Edey is just special. Top 4 best player in Purdue history. Mout Rushmore of Purdue basketball

4) 3 pt shooting. 8/10 in the 2nd half. EIGHT out of ten is just outstanding. Loved that Gillis had no hesitation. We must have that type of Gillis to go deep in the tournament.

5) Loyer played good enough defense and found his rhythm on offense again. When he does that on both ends of the floor, Purdue is national title level

6) Only semi-negative is tonight is Jones. We need him to get right. His decision making was better than the MSU game where he was terrible but still took too many ill-advised 3's and didn't make good decisions in transition. But gets a semi-negative because he hit some big time 3's late in the 2nd half. So hopefully he has righted the ship in the 2nd half.

Surprised me how they made TSJ pretty much a nonfactor......for a guy that has been lights out ~25 or so scorer these last 8-9 games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schnelk
Rebounding was bad tonight. Also we need to pass out of a lot of our breakaways. Doesn't end well a lot. Anyone know how many missed easy ones we had tonight?
First half Purdue missed about 4 layups, they get contested players worry about them getting blocked, they’re not real easy, they are to us at home though lol. No doubt rebounding wasn’t the best, Illinois is really good, Illinois played their asses off at home, hardly unexpected.

Mostly first half - probably four (counting ZE).....ZE had one or two in the second half, but a couple were good banks that usually go.....plus a good tip that bounced out.

Rebounding in the first half ignited and set me off for a while.... haha. To Painter and Purdue's credit, I think Illinois only got one offensive rebound in the second half.....
Purdue won that battle (total boards) 31-29 with Illinois having a 11-10 edge offensive. Turnover edge and 3-pt shooting ended up being the statistical difference. Game could have gotten away in the first half - Purdue looked to be the fresher/focused team down the stretch.....that is nice to see.

Hoping they can carry that forward.

Heide's athleticism and quickness allows him to be a better defender than Morton...and he seems to fight thru screens very well. I noticed Heidi stayed on his man even if a screen was set by the Illini.
That light switched on for Heide in the past few games. Earlier in the season, his D was... rough. He's figured it out.

Woah. What a win.

1) Really nice game and 2nd half from Loyer
2) Lance Jones rushed shots and forced a bit too much, but hit a HUGE three late. Love his confidence.
3) Gillis is such a good standstill shooter.
4) Smith. My god. Stud.
5) Domask is really, really good
6) Edey’s left hand is not great, but he’s so dominant either way lol. So consistent. Just a hell of a player and kid
7) I gotta give credit to CMP for not giving up on Loyer
I'm going to nuance #3 a bit. Mason has been a good standstill or spot up shooter for a while. It started at the end of the year before last where Matt tried to move him to take advantage of his shooting. He shot worse coming off screens and was not as effective as Matt wanted and Purdue needed. He improved that a bit last year and also added a rare drive to the bucket. This year Mason comes off screens (top of the key shot), moves to spots behind the arc to catch and "set his feet" quicker and score...and sometimes still gets a drive. His footwork is much quicker and if you are able to go to the games you will see him moving (pregame) not much (too many balls and players) maybe 8 feet of so to catch and shoot and Purdue is benefitting from it greatly.

Many will not see that progression and therefore not appreciate the work he has put in to improve his play on the perimeter. Much respect for a guy that works as hard as he has to be more effective on the court while at the same time throwing his body and encountering any subsequent pain as a result to battle. Mason has turned the page...

He is out there in the spotlight a million miles away, giving every ounce of energy he is willing to give away, as the sweat pours out his body like the music that he plays...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT