ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers at Purdue: MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. The Rutgers Scarlet Knights (14-11; 6-8) visit Mackey Arena to take on the #3-ranked Purdue Boilermakers (23-3; 12-3) as both teams get ready for the stretch run of the conference season. Tip is scheduled for approximately 7:00 pm (Eastern time) with television coverage on Fox Sports 1 network.

Projected Starting Line-ups:

Rutgers - Clifford Omoruyi, Aundre Hyatt, Jamichael Davis, Derek Simpson, and Jeremiah Williams

Purdue - Zach Edey, Trey Kaufman-Renn, Lance Jones, Fletcher Loyer, and Braden Smith

Both teams are coming off recent losses, as Rutgers lost at Minnesota 81-70, and Purdue lost at Ohio State, 73-69. This is the second meeting this year - Purdue won at Rutgers last month, 68-60, in a game where Purdue let a 13-pt halftime lead dwindle but still was able to close out the game. Rutgers also played that game without Jeremiah Williams, who brings another dimension to its team.

Williams, a Temple transfer, leads the Scarlet Knights with 13.2 points and 3.8 assists with 5.2 rebounds per game, although he has just played in just five games due to eligibility and injury issues. Cliff Omoruyi, who seems to give Purdue and Zach Edey fits every contest contributes 11.2 points on 51.7% shooting and 9.0 rebounds with 3.3 blocks per game. Rutgers is very stout defensively. It ranks second in the nation in Adjusted Defensive Efficiency according to KenPom. Conversely, the Scarlet Knights are 275th in Adjusted Offensive Efficiency. They allow just 65.4 points per game and 39.8% shooting (14th) and 31.2% from long range. They also shoot just 39.1% (357th) from the field and 29.1% (347th) from beyond the arc. Despite having Omoruyi, they rank just 208th in rebound rate at 49.4%.

Although Rutgers has not been consistently proficient from beyond the arc, they are quite capable and had good outings from deep against Northwestern and Wisconsin.....those were at home, but Hyatt and Palmquist/Fernandes/Griffiths off the bench are the ones that could hurt Purdue if they are not kept under control for that part of the game plan.

I would not be surprised if this game turns out to be another physical, hard-fought close contest like most of the last several games between these two teams. Rutgers is quite capable of pulling the upset and has won in Mackey Arena twice in the last few years. Jeremiah Williams didn't play in the first game, but Omoruyi held his own for the most part with Zach Edey, who did get his numbers. Purdue definitely needs some other players besides Braden Smith to step up with some production.

The Boilers also need to shake off the effects of the Ohio State game, and they need a more focused effort from everyone to limit the mistakes, especially the turnovers. Being at home should help, but it's no guarantee. This is a good litmus test for toughness - and it only gets tougher from here on out. So, can the Boilers get things back on track? A win keeps them two games in front in the loss column over Illinois, but a loss would continue to raise more questions and doubts. That's the price to pay to compete at the highest level. We'll see how the Boilers handle it tonight, starting in a little over an hour or so.

Boiler Up, my friends...

i
i

I would say that taking an L today would be a strong indication we’re on a similar path to last year.

I don’t see us losing to a 16 seed again (although doing that back to back could be a new record of shame that would likely last until the end of time)

But I imagine if we’re going to have a similar Feb and March as last year, our ceiling is the Sweet 16. Every single 8-9 seed is going to be capable of taking out a 1. Any double digit seed that wins their first game is also possible.

Was OSU a blip, or just our typical February play finally catching up to us in a down Big Ten. We find out tonight. We scored 58? Points in our loss to FDU. Scoring in the 50s or 60s this game is a good indication that it will likely happen again. And likely means we lost or it was way closer than it should be.

Please prove me wrong Boilers. The cubs did it one year and you can too lol

If we give Illini back their loss last night, it will be an epic choke.

I will not be “tipping my hat” to Rutgers playing a “great game” against us. If we lose this has everything to do with Purdue and nothing to do with Rutgers

Reactions: Grob13 and Zaphod_B
I would say that taking an L today would be a strong indication we’re on a similar path to last year.

I don’t see us losing to a 16 seed again (although doing that back to back could be a new record of shame that would likely last until the end of time)

But I imagine if we’re going to have a similar Feb and March as last year, our ceiling is the Sweet 16. Every single 8-9 seed is going to be capable of taking out a 1. Any double digit seed that wins their first game is also possible.

Was OSU a blip, or just our typical February play finally catching up to us in a down Big Ten. We find out tonight. We scored 58? Points in our loss to FDU. Scoring in the 50s or 60s this game is a good indication that it will likely happen again. And likely means we lost or it was way closer than it should be.

Please prove me wrong Boilers. The cubs did it one year and you can too lol

If we give Illini back their loss last night, it will be an epic choke.

I will not be “tipping my hat” to Rutgers playing a “great game” against us. If we lose this has everything to do with Purdue and nothing to do with Rutgers
That’s a hard-ass, myopic take…..

…and I’m hard-pressed to disagree with any of it.

I need to see some swagger tonight; some take-
- no-effin’- prisoners intensity from Purdue all night long!

Reactions: Schnelk
Looks like Mag is out for Rutgers. Not sure who the guys are listed as questionable but Mag is significant news.

Yes, Beef - that is a big loss for Rutgers with Mag out. Austin Williams started the first game against Purdue, but his minutes had significantly dropped when Jeremiah Williams got in the line-up. Ogbole is a back-up big who plays sparingly as of late.

That's what you call a hard foul.

Boilers better d-up....can't let Rutgers get those second chances. Five offensive rebounds already.....goodness. :(

Rutgers on pace for their highest scoring game of the year 😂😂😂

No one missing much in the early going

Rutgers first shot that rimmed out and I can’t believe didn’t go down is the current difference

Jones didn’t need to force that one. Was feeling it a little too much

Loyer misses bad on a three. Gets ball back. Forces it Zach for a silly turnover, gives up a transition 3.

And they get a silly technical. Honestly you should get Rutgers talk when they are scoring at will, doesn’t happen for them often

That is at least 7 points off turnovers.....not enough focus on that end.

But - another BOOM BABY from Cam Heide! Get some stops, Boilers......please?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT