ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue vs. Wisconsin: MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD

I don't like this take. They hang banners for BTT championship. If Purdue plays as if doesn't mean anything (and I don't believe they did) they don't learn that lack of effort and attention to detail has consequences. Stupid technical foul, turnovers, missed free throws, not rebounding will get you quick out in the NCAAT where you are going to play a lot better teams than Wiscy. As Painter would say "we need to sit in this one for awhile" and hopefully be prepared for the tournament.
Where did I ever say Purdue wasn’t playing to win?

This game IMO was a great, very low-consequence laboratory for Painter to get more people involved and comfortable…

Please quit with the, “we can’t do any better BS.” We have a team that is primed to step to the next level. Great fans, facilities, players, etc…. We have CMP to thank for that. But, as he is almost completely unable to adjust his coaching, he’ll never get us there.
If CMP is not the answer who is? Answer the question. Stop ducking it.

• Love
Reactions: clankhan
Gee, how about the COACH adjusts and wakes the **** up to reality?

Why is it IMPOSSIBLE for him to play some zone when it makes sense too or to recruit shot creating wings or to tailor an offense around basketball that translates to tournament play such as elite wing and guard play and shot creating/making???

It is such a ****ing simple fix and he REFUSES.

Our guards and wings ALWAYS play their best basketball early in the year and their worst at the end of the year. I cant ****ing imagine why
So, why do you rail about him not changing if he never changes? It seems like CMP isn't the answer in your book. Who is?

I'm going to try to keep this as positive as I can, but that's tough right now. We flat-out sucked today.

Outside shooting - although the second half was better
Free throw shooting - atrocious
Loose balls - lost just about all of them
Refs - yeah we got a ton of fouls called on them, but they missed a lot of little things, mostly travels by Klesmit. And even when we do get a gift call, it cost us a Gillis 3-pointer. Klesmit shouldn't have gotten a timeout when there was a clear tie-up by Jones first. Then Edey didn't get his timeout before sliding out of bounds.
Bad luck - prime example is when we set up the perfect inbounds pass and Zach throws it out of bounds because he was fouled. Game would have been over. Replay was correct.
Lack of effort - is this because they subconsciously didn't think the game mattered? Maybe a little tentative because of Braden's injury? I don't know, but it wasn't there, primarily on the defensive end.
Hepburn - he was awesome
Turnovers - duh. The pick 6's have to stop.

If CMP is not the answer who is? Answer the question. Stop ducking it.
I mean there are other coaches who could be successful here. We haven't had a bad basketball coach since I believe the Korean War.

I'm not advocating Painter be fired or anything like that, but I have never bought that it's Painter or we suck.

Painter has one more step to take. Thus far, he hasn't taken it. He's going to be fairly criticized until he does. Not saying some of the overwrought comments here are "fair."

I absolutely wish Painter was better in March…

I absolutely want and expect Painter to stay at Purdue until he figures it out, or retires.

You snowflakes who can’t handle this reality should REALLY find another team to root for!

I mean there are other coaches who could be successful here. We haven't had a bad basketball coach since I believe the Korean War.

I'm not advocating Painter be fired or anything like that, but I have never bought that it's Painter or we suck.

Painter has one more step to take. Thus far, he hasn't taken it. He's going to be fairly criticized until he does. Not saying some of the overwrought comments here are "fair."
I agree. There are coaches out there who can do what Painter is doing. But, certain folks here are complaining about Painter not getting Purdue to the promised land. So, they don't want a lateral coaching hire. They want a coach that elevates Purdue. I just don't know who that is...and neither do they.

I'm going to try to keep this as positive as I can, but that's tough right now. We flat-out sucked today.

Refs - yeah we got a ton of fouls called on them, but they missed a lot of little things, mostly travels by Klesmit. And even when we do get a gift call, it cost us a Gillis 3-pointer. Klesmit shouldn't have gotten a timeout when there was a clear tie-up by Jones first. Then Edey didn't get his timeout before sliding out of bounds.
Bad luck - prime example is when we set up the perfect inbounds pass and Zach throws it out of bounds because he was fouled. Game would have been over. Replay was correct.
Lack of effort - is this because they subconsciously didn't think the game mattered? Maybe a little tentative because of Braden's injury? I don't know, but it wasn't there, primarily on the defensive end.
Hepburn - he was awesome
I think the mental was as missing as the physical effort.

Makes me wonder if the team was a little bored playing against another B10 opponent or maybe they had the mindset of well we always win in the end.

Whatever it was, it definitely was I think one of the worst games they played this season.
They should have won this game by 10.

Reactions: drewjin and Gesysp
Ah, the irony of someone blindly defending a coach who's been delivering the same mediocre results since the 2000s. Bravo, you've truly mastered the art of oblivious fandom.
and You who has posted 1 time on here since April of last year, you are a troll, probably an IU fan who has hid till this op to jump on us. Nice season and coach u have there Loosier!

It was clear Paint and the team were just going through the motions. I’m not sure it’s a wise choice to make such predictions as you have off of how the team played today.
I dont buy this. If they wanted to just go through the motions then just sit all the starters. Why risk injury to go through the motions.? They lost today because they played poorly. Actually they havent played great since probably Rutgers. They have gutted out wins which is great but when you consistently play with fire you will get burned.

And ... you want to talk about them in the regular season? This team was just as good in the regular season thenlast 2 seasons prior to this and suffered the same fate that this one seems destined to do.

Maybe a loss entering the tourney is what we need as last year we went into it off a win.. but I believe 2 ywars ago we went into it with a loss and still lost to a 15 seed
2 years ago we went to Sweet 16, you are not telling that side of the story. If this team upsets you so much , why don't you quit watching or go root for UConn?

Hawkeye fan here. Cheer for the Boilers every opportunity I get. Nothing but respect for Painter and the program. I have one question:

Why does Purdue not get out and push tempo a bit more than they do?

I understand it’s tough with Edey but they certainly have the 1,2,3 to do it with their smart play, ability to make shots, and handle the ball. I’m talking Iowa and Illinois fast. I feel as they find themselves in games strictly because they want to play in the half court with Edey all day. They could absolutely blitz inferior teams if they get out and go. Just a thought I had. Pulling for you guys in March this year. I think Jones is a good addition and should really benefit in the tournament this year.
We scored more than you did this year, correct? Why don't Iowa play defense, just asking?

Gee, how about the COACH adjusts and wakes the **** up to reality?

Why is it IMPOSSIBLE for him to play some zone when it makes sense too or to recruit shot creating wings or to tailor an offense around basketball that translates to tournament play such as elite wing and guard play and shot creating/making???

It is such a ****ing simple fix and he REFUSES.

Our guards and wings ALWAYS play their best basketball early in the year and their worst at the end of the year. I cant ****ing imagine why
We played zone several times this year, if you would have watched.

Reactions: Schnelk
I dont buy this. If they wanted to just go through the motions then just sit all the starters. Why risk injury to go through the motions.? They lost today because they played poorly. Actually they havent played great since probably Rutgers. They have gutted out wins which is great but when you consistently play with fire you will get burned.
Painter wasn't going through the motions, the players certainly weren't mentally locked in were they?

At any rate, they have two games coming in 5 and 7 days. I'm going to guess Painter has plenty of film to work with off this game to get them back to not being so blase about their play.

Agreed. Wisconsin is still fighting for a better seed, and they played like madmen today. We have a #1 seed wrapped up already, and the guys know it. That has to factor in. This game was an outlier compared to other games this year, plain and simple.

Time to rest up, prepare, and kick ass in the NCAAT.
Agree , probably for the best, rest up, another day to get Barden rest. Maybe jolt them back into not believing all their hype.

Reactions: Lionheart1
I wonder how many of the top 100 programs would love to have that mediocrity.
When Purdue loses a game which rarely happens it provides that rare opportunity to learn so much that just doesn't exist very often. It is a time where we see less boring analysis of the why something happens through cumbersome depth of specifics and much more jumbling together things to see the clear picture that otherwise is missed almost all the times or times that Purdue wins. Clearly we must appreciate the depth of discussion to grow our understandings when the rare occurrences happen. My understanding of the game is blessed in the outpouring of knowledge in these rare events that I find I just may have missed before. It truly is a tome of knowledge on the game that generally cannot be found.

Not sure it was lost but certainly handicapped Purdue and was a huge reason for what followed. Yesterday Matt called Mason and Zach over to tell them not to do what Zach did today
seems like the players don't listen. Yesterday after the Illini win a reporter asked Underwood we thought you called a TO to foul them so not to get off a 3 pointer. He said " I told the guys to foul but they didn't listen and we were fortunate their 3 didn't go in for the tie"

Reactions: tjreese
I agree there. Sometimes things break down and you just have to play.
It is nothing new. Many teams challenge the ball reversal at the top against Purdue. Still, you cannot go brain dead and get automatic with it. Purdue made a lot of mistakes offensively in this game and then it doesn't go past regulation. Even the O/Bs could have been possibly handled better to put the game away. Now Purdue will face teams without as much scouting and experience against Purdue. Where ever Braden percentwise...maybe better after this game or not...he should be closer to himself in a couple of games physically "if" he still had some soreness.

Reactions: mryankee2397
seems like the players don't listen. Yesterday after the Illini win a reporter asked Underwood we thought you called a TO to foul them so not to get off a 3 pointer. He said " I told the guys to foul but they didn't listen and we were fortunate their 3 didn't go in for the tie"
this is what soooooooooooooooooooooo many don't understand. It is a players game and they have to execute. It isn't a video game and the players do what you want all the time. Sometimes they go brain dead. Look how smart Mason normally plays...that wasn't today. Zach probably two time NPOY going out of his way to draw the ire of the refs early. They didn't lose the game, but you hope the older players remain cool mentally and serve as an example for those younger. I mean that is something that should be easier than making a basket or playing D without fouling. Purdue had sooo many ways of putting this game away and didn't and then finally were snake bitten.

Reactions: RossMackey

Hepburn - he was awesome
even just the O/Bs where Zach caught the ball...if he jumps and turns a bit to lead Braden to "the other end" Braden gets it and if somehow Braden was covered then the clock is ticking as the players and ball are headed towards Purdue's end even if intercepted should Braden have actually been covered.

We’re still easily the #1 seed In the Midwest. UConn will be east, Houston - south, UNC. - west.

overall resume due to our normal November brilliance is unmatched.

This game didn’t really matter. These conference tournaments are stupid. Especially for one bid leagues. Completely negates the whole regular season.

doesn’t bother me to lose today. Doesn’t bother me to not win the BTT tournament back to back. This is a grind right at the end of the season when your legs are Tired

its disappointing that we played our injured PG 36 mins and still looked this bad. It’s disappointing our stud center couldn’t keep his cool after a foul. It disappointing that chucky Hepburn could get in smith head. It’s disappointing that was our effort today

they won’t lose to a 16 again. They likely win a close game in 8/9. I don’t see us making the elite 8, the one time painter did, we had two players who went absolutely nuts. It will probably be in game where they are 10 pt favorites But we play like this. I don’t know if it’s painter or what it is. We aren’t a march team. Cubs syndrome, forget how to play by end of the season

We’re still easily the #1 seed In the Midwest. UConn will be east, Houston - south, UNC. - west.

overall resume due to our normal November brilliance is unmatched.

This game didn’t really matter. These conference tournaments are stupid. Especially for one bid leagues. Completely negates the whole regular season.

doesn’t bother me to lose today. Doesn’t bother me to not win the BTT tournament back to back. This is a grind right at the end of the season when your legs are Tired

its disappointing that we played our injured PG 36 mins and still looked this bad. It’s disappointing our stud center couldn’t keep his cool after a foul. It disappointing that chucky Hepburn could get in smith head. It’s disappointing that was our effort today

they won’t lose to a 16 again. They likely win a close game in 8/9. I don’t see us making the elite 8, the one time painter did, we had two players who went absolutely nuts. It will probably be in game where they are 10 pt favorites But we play like this. I don’t know if it’s painter or what it is. We aren’t a march team. Cubs syndrome, forget how to play by end of the season
Our arguments yesterday notwithstanding, all of this makes sense. What's disappointing is HOW they played, not THAT they played. What gives me hope is that as bad as we played, we absolutely should be playing tomorrow. Also, Wisconsin is a solid team that is playing better as a team than they were a couple of weeks ago. Clearly. It's also difficult to beat a team 3 times in one season.

So here is where I am begging for history to repeat itself.

So far so good.

Virginia 2019
Coach: Tony Bennett
Conference: ACC
Record: 35-3 (16-2)
Conference Finish: T-1st
Conference Tournament Finish: Lost in semifinals
NCAA Tournament Seed: No. 1 seed
NCAA Tournament Region: South Region

So here is where I am begging for history to repeat itself.

So far so good.

Virginia 2019
Coach: Tony Bennett
Conference: ACC
Record: 35-3 (16-2)
Conference Finish: T-1st
Conference Tournament Finish: Lost in semifinals
NCAA Tournament Seed: No. 1 seed
NCAA Tournament Region: South Region
And they weren't the #1 overall. They were #2 overall that year, in the top right of the bracket as we well know.

Reactions: DenverBoiler
Did you? You said call for a screen which was there. So who should he have passed it to for that screen?
The screen came at the end of the needless dribbling. One of the other four players on the floor? Are you arguing it was required that he dribble horizontally for most of the shot clock thirty feet from the basket?

Zach has to quit talking , he has to know the other team is baiting him and he has to know red will give both technicals. Walk away and shut up you are way to important to be immature

and You who has posted 1 time on here since April of last year, you are a troll, probably an IU fan who has hid till this op to jump on us. Nice season and coach u have there Loosier!
Ah, the classic 'you don't post often, so you must be a troll' argument. Sorry to burst your bubble, but lurking doesn't equate to trolling. And as for being an IU fan, nah, I'm just someone who prefers quality over blind loyalty.

Ah, the classic 'you don't post often, so you must be a troll' argument. Sorry to burst your bubble, but lurking doesn't equate to trolling. And as for being an IU fan, nah, I'm just someone who prefers quality over blind loyalty.
CLANK!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT