ADVERTISEMENT

Painter’s Problem

I'd say it slightly differently, through practice and games those athletic options need to show that they can get to the point that they know wtf they are doing. That probably means them getting more PT than what MP is historically comfortable with but keeping MC on the floor when he's running around like a chicken with his head cut off on defense just reinforces poor performance.
The only way these guys will learn is to actually figure it out on the floor during games. Painter has to be willing to let a player like MC make mistakes, figure things out, etc, not just be a great practice player (which is what I suspect Morton is).

I believe Carsen's Jr year we got waxed by WV in a secret scrimmage.
I think Texas beat Arkansas last year by 30 in their scrimmage. St Johns lost to a D2 school this year and IU struggled with a D2 for a bit. Pretty sure those teams won’t be that bad this year and if they played those same D2 teams in 2 weeks, pretty sure they’d destroy them. It’s just an exhibition ppppl. Let’s save the panic for February 😂

The only way these guys will learn is to actually figure it out on the floor during games.

Painter has to be willing to let a player like MC make mistakes, figure things out, etc, not just be a great practice player (which is what I suspect Morton is).
Your first statement could not be more wrong. Are you aware of any coach who has had any level of success who believes that players can only learn in games, not in practice? Certainly Coach K, Knight, Wooden, etc. strongly disagreed with that view.

Agree with your second statement, hopefully we see players like Colvin and Heide more the next few weeks and they show enough to gain more run against Xavier and in the Maui tournament. I think Heide is already there or close, I hope Myles shows that he isn't lost and that Arkansas was an anomaly for him.

Your first statement could not be more wrong. Are you aware of any coach who has had any level of success who believes that players can only learn in games, not in practice? Certainly Coach K, Knight, Wooden, etc. strongly disagreed with that view.

Agree with your second statement, hopefully we see players like Colvin and Heide more the next few weeks and they show enough to gain more run against Xavier and in the Maui tournament. I think Heide is already there or close, I hope Myles shows that he isn't lost and that Arkansas was an anomaly for him.
He had 2 points, 1 rebound, 1 block and an altered shot in a grand total of 5 minutes of PT. We could only dream that Morton would have that kind of production. As far as being lost, I think that is an exaggeration. At least when he gets beat or loses his man, he has a chance to block the shot or alter it. Once Morton is beat (which is often) it is over. I will say this once again: He brings the one thing that CMP himself said we lacked last year, athleticism. So if he isn't doing what you want on the defensive end, you take him out, give instruction and get him back in the game. Playing him for 5 minutes in the 1st half and zero the rest of the game doesn't help him. Of course he is going to play more in the next 3 games, hell if the walk-ons don't get some good run in these games you have a story. I just think it was a missed opportunity against Arkansas (much better team), that is all.

Should have got T’d up at northwestern last year when Collins grabbed Loyer. Hell, Loyer shoulda got in Collins face after he did that and then got T’d up too.
Yep. I see other coaches doing it all the time. I like how relaxed Painter is most of the time. However those are the times he needs to just go off and accept a technical foul.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I wasnt agreeing with that post, I was more so reminded of if Painter were to get T’d up, that should have been the time to do it.

Coach Collins came out on the floor and grabbed Loyer at the end of the Northwestern game, while we were actively trying to get into a set. Loyer turned and was like “wtf?” and pushed his arm off of him and got into the set since the clock was winding down. I don’t believe a coach can grab an opposing player while the game is going on, correct? What would you call if you saw that?

I wish Loyer would have gotten T’d up to bring attention to it because I’ve never seen a coach do that and hoped it would result in Collins getting a T.

I also don’t think when a coach gets T’d up it’ll change the course of the game.
I don't think it will change the course of the game either. I think it might give the players a burst of adrenaline knowing your coach is looking out for his team though.

I don't think it will change the course of the game either. I think it might give the players a burst of adrenaline knowing your coach is looking out for his team though.
Izzo has changed the course of many games with his crying and getting on the refs. This is especially so at home where the crowd gets into it. Refs are humans, they can't help but be affected by it. Why do you think he keeps doing it? Because he thinks it has an impact and helps his team. If he didn't think it mattered, he wouldn't do it as much as he does.

**I'm not saying I want CMP to be like Izzo. In fact, I generally like CMP and his demeanor during games. I'm simply pointing out that I do think it can have an impact**

Reactions: BoilerDeac
Izzo has changed the course of many games with his crying and getting on the refs. This is especially so at home where the crowd gets into it. Refs are humans, they can't help but be affected by it. Why do you think he keeps doing it? Because he thinks it has an impact and helps his team. If he didn't think it mattered, he wouldn't do it as much as he does.

**I'm not saying I want CMP to be like Izzo. In fact, I generally like CMP and his demeanor during games. I'm simply pointing out that I do think it can have an impact**
It 100% has an impact. Those who say it doesn’t have an impact don’t understand human psychology.

I have seen Izzy’s wailing work against him too. He gets attention because he is well respected, but I have seen refs look to teach him a lesson too. Painters quiet and calm approach puts weight behind his comments to the refs. He is also highly respected so his unemotional comments carry weight.

Was wondering where you were 😂

your last sentence…is wild to me. It’s an exhibition!! Painter just play dudes and experiment. I get that it wasn’t a normal exhibition, blah blah blah. But maybe someone will surprise you and rise to the occasion. And if they don’t and Purdue loses by 15….it doesn’t matter since it’s an exhibition game.

To be fair, I think we are all overreacting to all these exhibitions/“secret scrimmages”. But IMO, I’d just like to see some experimentation with different lineups…in more than 1 game. Give them a chance and if they don’t work after a few times, then ok, go back to what you know. It’s OK to lose a few games early on in the season…they don’t matter as much as how well the team is playing in February

On point!

He had 2 points, 1 rebound, 1 block and an altered shot in a grand total of 5 minutes of PT. We could only dream that Morton would have that kind of production. As far as being lost, I think that is an exaggeration. At least when he gets beat or loses his man, he has a chance to block the shot or alter it. Once Morton is beat (which is often) it is over. I will say this once again: He brings the one thing that CMP himself said we lacked last year, athleticism. So if he isn't doing what you want on the defensive end, you take him out, give instruction and get him back in the game. Playing him for 5 minutes in the 1st half and zero the rest of the game doesn't help him. Of course he is going to play more in the next 3 games, hell if the walk-ons don't get some good run in these games you have a story. I just think it was a missed opportunity against Arkansas (much better team), that is all.
I don't have the time or inclination to try to explain team defense to you. If you didn't watch Myles in that game and see him look completely lost on defense I don't know what to tell you.

Painter is always relaxed. So many times he should have jumped down refs throat to stick up for his players. I would have gladly accepted a technical from him because he was letting the refs know that his players shouldn't be getting mauled.
The last time I remember him getting ejected was against Illinois at Illinois. Think Groce was the coach.

I have seen Izzy’s wailing work against him too. He gets attention because he is well respected, but I have seen refs look to teach him a lesson too. Painters quiet and calm approach puts weight behind his comments to the refs. He is also highly respected so his unemotional comments carry weight.
Can you give an example of this? Do you mean the refs started calling more stuff on his team?

Hope you don't fall off that high horse you're on today. Have a good one.
Fair enough response, I recognize that it was an asshole answer. I honestly don't know what to say if you thought Myles looked ok on defense. Hopefully it was just a situation of first game nerves in a loud and hostile environment and he can shake it off and settle in.

I should have clarified: yes, practice is important, but nothing replaces live game experience against an opponent you don't face everyday. That's where the most learning and development is going to take place.

I never understand responses like this. I was a HS ref for 12-13 years, which is not college, but a coach or player never affected me to change the way I was calling the game. UNLESS, as there were a couple of times, I knew I blew a call and the coach went wild, I had to TO him, but told him after I was wrong. But if a coach was on me and I thought I was calling correctly and consistently, the coach jabbering at me , only made me want to call anything that was a 50-50 call against him. Maybe I was too thin skinned and vindictive, but I am sure some other refs felt the same, in fact we talked about it. Not sure why many just think if a coach gets a T, the way the game is called will change?
35 years of conditioning by Keady and Knight

I should have clarified: yes, practice is important, but nothing replaces live game experience against an opponent you don't face everyday. That's where the most learning and development is going to take place.
Fair enough. Fingers crossed that Myles figures things out and that MP gives his young guys some leeway, particularly in the next few games.

I suspect that Painter's rotations in Maui will be tighter than you or I would like to see.

I never understand responses like this. I was a HS ref for 12-13 years, which is not college, but a coach or player never affected me to change the way I was calling the game. UNLESS, as there were a couple of times, I knew I blew a call and the coach went wild, I had to TO him, but told him after I was wrong. But if a coach was on me and I thought I was calling correctly and consistently, the coach jabbering at me , only made me want to call anything that was a 50-50 call against him. Maybe I was too thin skinned and vindictive, but I am sure some other refs felt the same, in fact we talked about it. Not sure why many just think if a coach gets a T, the way the game is called will change?
Love this response from someone with actual experience.

Fair enough response, I recognize that it was an asshole answer. I honestly don't know what to say if you thought Myles looked ok on defense. Hopefully it was just a situation of first game nerves in a loud and hostile environment and he can shake it off and settle in.
I didn't say he was ok, I just said I think it's being exaggerated how bad he was. He only played a handful of possessions on defense and had a block and altered another shot. Do I think he looked confused some of those possessions? Yes, he obviously has work to do. But we can't forget what he did and can possibly do on the offensive end. If you extrapolate his 5 minute line over say 20 minutes of PT, it would be a career day for EM (I know I exaggerated there myself), but you get my meaning.

We both want the same thing, PU to win it all. I just think we missed a great opportunity for one of the few players on this team that has the athleticism to fill the void we had last year, to get some serious PT against a very good team. In a game in which the outcome on the scoreboard didn't matter. But it's past now so it doesn't matter I know.

Looking forward to seeing everybody get some PT tonight.

Texans helping Texans.

it's elementary, Beef.....

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I didn't say he was ok, I just said I think it's being exaggerated how bad he was. He only played a handful of possessions on defense and had a block and altered another shot. Do I think he looked confused some of those possessions? Yes, he obviously has work to do. But we can't forget what he did and can possibly do on the offensive end. If you extrapolate his 5 minute line over say 20 minutes of PT, it would be a career day for EM (I know I exaggerated there myself), but you get my meaning.

We both want the same thing, PU to win it all. I just think we missed a great opportunity for one of the few players on this team that has the athleticism to fill the void we had last year, to get some serious PT against a very good team. In a game in which the outcome on the scoreboard didn't matter. But it's past now so it doesn't matter I know.

Looking forward to seeing everybody get some PT tonight.
Not posting this to say I’m right, just thought you might find it Interesting. Go to the last two minutes or so where he talks about elite athletes learning to be guys you can trust. MP has shown that he will let guys play through mistakes but he has a little patience for guys. He can’t trust because they don’t know what they’re doing. Myles is a smart kid and he’ll get it figured out but he has a little ways to go.

. Link

Matt Painter on what Purdue needs to do to reach the Final Four in 2024:

"Don't turn the ball over. It's that simple. We had 20 turnovers on Saturday against Arkansas. If we can limit that to around 10 each game, we'll be in position to the control the game."

See, this is Painter’s problem. He makes it sound so simple. “Oh, we just need to stop turning it over.”

Hey, CMP…why do you think your teams constantly have increased turnovers against quick, athletic teams?

Maybe, just maybe, it’s because your own, unathletic teams get exposed against an athletic team that speeds you up.

CMP makes it seem like it’s some simple fix, when clearly it’s not, and clearly there’s a pattern of Purdue struggling when facing quicker, athletic teams.
The only way to fix that problem is to hire the right coach (that molds/puts together a modern style) when CMP retires or moves on. Its really that simple.

Matt Painter on what Purdue needs to do to reach the Final Four in 2024:

"Don't turn the ball over. It's that simple. We had 20 turnovers on Saturday against Arkansas. If we can limit that to around 10 each game, we'll be in position to the control the game."

See, this is Painter’s problem. He makes it sound so simple. “Oh, we just need to stop turning it over.”

Hey, CMP…why do you think your teams constantly have increased turnovers against quick, athletic teams?

Maybe, just maybe, it’s because your own, unathletic teams get exposed against an athletic team that speeds you up.

CMP makes it seem like it’s some simple fix, when clearly it’s not, and clearly there’s a pattern of Purdue struggling when facing quicker, athletic teams.
History tells a different story. Look up turnover rates for past teams. Only in recent years have Purdue players decided that valueing the ball is not as important as simply trying to outscore the opponent. That is why the very athletic Purdue team with Ivey lost in the NCAA tourney. And turnovers were a major contributor, along with poor shooting, to last year's woes.

History tells a different story. Look up turnover rates for past teams. Only in recent years have Purdue players decided that valueing the ball is not as important as simply trying to outscore the opponent. That is why the very athletic Purdue team with Ivey lost in the NCAA tourney. And turnovers were a major contributor, along with poor shooting, to last year's woes.
typically for "MOST" teams the athletic team was recruited to attempt to turn you over or play tight tough defense and make the shots hard. Most teams sacrifice some skill as a result. Arkansas was very athletic, maybe got a few breaks on D, but overall played very well that game. They were very good and Purdue was not. That said, if Arkansas doesn't hit some prayers Purdue probably wins a close game where a lot of things went against Purdue and went for Arkansas. When the game started and Purdue got a lead up to 7 and let them back in I figured that may have been the boost Arkansas needed. Had the shot clock been longer Arkansas would have had more difficulty getting back into the game, but today no lead is very safe

Reactions: BoilerAndy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT