ADVERTISEMENT

Surprised...jump off the ledge or understandable?

Rather than jumping off a ledge I believe it’s time Purdue fans started to develop more realistic expectations for this team! Edey was the NCAA player of the year but not wanted by any NBA team. And the Canadian world games team didn’t really want him either! And he’s our best player!

We just lost to Arkansas. They are not Kansas or Duke! Purdue is still a top 20 team, but please don’t get your hopes up too high that this will finally their year!
Completely agree. We are not elite at any position and the structure of this offense concerns me. We play 30 feet from the basket and other teams get within 10 feet at will. I worry about the #3 preseason ranking and following UNC last year going from ranked #1 to missing the tournament. I don't see it being that bad, but every opponent will be gunning for us this year - and you better have the toughness, talent, coaching and maturity to take it. How many court stormings did we have last year - it seemed like every one of our losses. I was hoping for Smith to be the second coming of Aaron Craft - but it's not looking like it.

Rather than jumping off a ledge I believe it’s time Purdue fans started to develop more realistic expectations for this team! Edey was the NCAA player of the year but not wanted by any NBA team. And the Canadian world games team didn’t really want him either! And he’s our best player!

We just lost to Arkansas. They are not Kansas or Duke! Purdue is still a top 20 team, but please don’t get your hopes up too high that this will finally their year!
Maybe you watched Kansas against Illinois. Illinois seemed to be the more athletic team and won by 7. Kansas is #1 and Dickenson is their 2nd best player?

Completely agree. We are not elite at any position and the structure of this offense concerns me. We play 30 feet from the basket and other teams get within 10 feet at will. I worry about the #3 preseason ranking and following UNC last year going from ranked #1 to missing the tournament. I don't see it being that bad, but every opponent will be gunning for us this year - and you better have the toughness, talent, coaching and maturity to take it. How many court stormings did we have last year - it seemed like every one of our losses. I was hoping for Smith to be the second coming of Aaron Craft - but it's not looking like it.
Pretty severe overreaction here.

Wole,

Ok, I'll be your fish for this absurd take.

1. Sounded like NBA teams were most certainly considering him, as Edey didn't withdraw from the draft until what, the final day? He is likely making more $$ with NIL than as a 2nd round pick and it's pretty well known he is enjoying his time at Purdue. C'mon man.

2. That Canadian Nat team was fairly loaded, no? If they "didn't want him" why did he make the cut? C'mon man.

3. Arky will probably be ranked top 15-20 most of this year. They are pretty good. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see them in the FF. C'mon man.

come-on-man-seriously.gif

If I was a space alien visiting earth, and you told me the southern states are football crazy (Arkansas) and Purdue is from a basketball crazy state (Indiana), then get asked "guess which team is the athletic one without seeing them? I would not answer the question correctly.

Reactions: titaniumbolt
Agree with your overall take, I didn't see anything that has me on cloud 9 but didn't see anything that caused me to lose optimism either.

You're more mentally and emotionally mature than I am but I refuse to consider it Zach 'missing a dunk' when his arms got raked on the catch and the guy pulled at his waist when Zach got by him. I know, not whistle, no foul but wow. Between that and Zach getting fouled at least twice in five seconds prior to his defender faking a flail when Zach picked up his third the officiating crew should be embarrassed with how the called the game with respect to Zach.
Yes, but the point I was trying to make was that with all the things that really happened that were good for Arkansas and all the things that were bad for Purdue...Purdue still had it won.

Saw some commentary about the MSU Tennessee game and how basically the second half was Izzo letting the young guys loose. Painter needs to take that advice and realize we know exactly what we are getting out of Morton, nothing.
Exactly…what would have been the harm to let those guys get decent minutes?? If Purdue lost by 15 or won by 15, at the end of the day, it doesn’t matter. Hope Colvin, Waddell and Heide get minutes over the next few months. I’m actually ok with losing some games if that means these guys get some decent minutes and experience and it helps them be ready for mid Feb and on.

Same old shit to me . Loyer and Smith getting waxed by more athletic teams and playing 32 and 37 minutes. Morton plays 21 minutes and no shots . Thought Painter learned but apparently not. Absolutely must play Colvin and Heide, we need athletes.
How’d they get waxed? Purdue almost won when shooting, yet again poorly. Loyer held his own and kept Purdue in it in the second half and Braden kept the offense going in the first half. Do you expect Purdue to go into Arkansas and win by 15?!?

Last edited:
Exactly…what would have been the harm to let those guys get decent minutes?? If Purdue lost by 15 or won by 15, at the end of the day, it doesn’t matter. Hope Colvin, Waddell and Heide get minutes over the next few months. I’m actually ok with losing some games if that means these guys get some decent minutes and experience and it helps them be ready for mid Feb and on.
I saw something that Painter has 500+ plays in his playbook. It begs the question if our scheme is overly complex which hampers young guys coming in and fitting in quickly.

I do hope that Painter clamps down on Morton’s minutes because at this point, we are 4v5 on both sides of the ball with him in. What do we have to lose with giving time to Heide/Colvin/Waddell?

I'm unaffected. I see problems and I know how some could be due to Purdue's offense as far as feeding Zach due to the timing needed for many of the entry type passes when armies are devoted to stopping Zach and yet these problems have existed before and so I'm just kind of a wait and see. I accept that Purdue will never be as good in stopping dribble penetration as a more athletic team, but that trade off was suppose to be with better skill and yet Purdue misses a LOT of open looks. Arkansas played really well and is a very athletic, talented team that played at home with a really fired up team and fans.

Arkansas played really well, lots of great individual effort and made some really tough shots with between 2 and 3 just beating the shot clock. Purdue didn't play well and many problems were identified and yet with 31 seconds left and Purdue up 3 after not playing well Purdue had control of the game or would have almost all the time, but Arkansas hit a big 3 to tie it up in regulation. This not long after Zach missed an open dunk and zach playing half a game (53%) which will not happen the rest of the year in a close game and so there were a lot of things that were problematic that were repeats of previous games and yet with all that Purdue should have still won the game. With ALL of the problems (which were legit) Purdue should have won the game against an older, good, athletic talented team that played well and so there are just as many reasons if not more to be hopeful IMO
I didn't get to see much of that game due to a party we were having , but I would think as many have already stated, we would have to feel pretty good having a chance to win this game with the type of team we were playing against. IF we would continue to struggle 4 or 5 games in, then I think we have reasons to worry.

Saw some commentary about the MSU Tennessee game and how basically the second half was Izzo letting the young guys loose. Painter needs to take that advice and realize we know exactly what we are getting out of Morton, nothing.
Izzo had a top 5 recruiting class to work with! Painter is 7-3 vs Izzy last 10!

Izzo had a top 5 recruiting class to work with! Painter is 7-3 vs Izzy last 10!

What exactly is you point? Do you think Purdue should not play young guys because they are not part of a top 5 class? If so would disagree.

Yes CMP has a nice record vs Izzy. One can still prepare young guys early, and still beat Izzo later.

Reactions: Dryfly88
Same old shit to me . Loyer and Smith getting waxed by more athletic teams and playing 32 and 37 minutes. Morton plays 21 minutes and no shots . Thought Painter learned but apparently not. Absolutely must play Colvin and Heide, we need athletes.
Painter never learns. It's obvious now. Anyone that says different is delusional. Morton needs to stay on the bench. Also we need to switch up our defense when the opposing team can't miss a shot with our man defense.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Painter never learns. It's obvious now. Anyone that says different is delusional. Morton needs to stay on the bench. Also we need to switch up our defense when the opposing team can't miss a shot with our man defense.

You know what you say is true Morton & switching D. Frustrating.

But he does seem to have a winning formula that has been very successful these past few years. I think you are quick to cut at that due to your frustrations. That's ok, but recognize it.

Reactions: mathboy
What defense would you suggest?

I saw something that Painter has 500+ plays in his playbook. It begs the question if our scheme is overly complex which hampers young guys coming in and fitting in quickly.

I do hope that Painter clamps down on Morton’s minutes because at this point, we are 4v5 on both sides of the ball with him in. What do we have to lose with giving time to Heide/Colvin/Waddell?
I have posed that question several times in the last couple of years, but not refined to only new guys. I think Jay Price had around 200-300 out of bounds plays when he was on Gene's staff. Personally, I'm not much into a whole lot of different plays. I think basic excellent execution of the fundamentals is more desirable...as if anyone cares. ;)

What exactly is you point? Do you think Purdue should not play young guys because they are not part of a top 5 class? If so would disagree.

Yes CMP has a nice record vs Izzy. One can still prepare young guys early, and still beat Izzo later.
I think in a roundabout way, they’re saying Purdue has been successful against MSU the past few years, even though they have high ranking recruiting classes?

But I agree, should let Colvin and Heide and Waddell get more mins…at least in the exhibition. Unless Morton shows us he is capable over the next month of shooting it well and actually locking someone down, I would think we should experiment with other players so that (hopefully) they can be ready in mid Feb and on. I’d be more than ok with some losses and not winning the B1G, if that meant those 3 saw more mins and were ready for March.

I have posed that question several times in the last couple of years, but not refined to only new guys. I think Jay Price had around 200-300 out of bounds plays when he was on Gene's staff. Personally, I'm not much into a whole lot of different plays. I think basic excellent execution of the fundamentals is more desirable...as if anyone cares. ;)
Yes agreed! Then also have plays in your pocket to use if needed in certain points of the game.

Reactions: tjreese

No, Painter knows his talent. If I remember right Purdue had two FRESHMAN guards last year that started on a team that was ranked NO. 1, so Painter knows what his is doing! I find it fascinating that a bunch of internet EXPERTS who know more than a coach who recruited and teaches them players in practice would like to run the show! I have faith these players are going to be good but they need to be coached! We need to have patience! We played one charity game that did not count!

Reactions: BoilerDaddy
I think in a roundabout way, they’re saying Purdue has been successful against MSU the past few years, even though they have high ranking recruiting classes?

But I agree, should let Colvin and Heide and Waddell get more mins…at least in the exhibition. Unless Morton shows us he is capable over the next month of shooting it well and actually locking someone down, I would think we should experiment with other players so that (hopefully) they can be ready in mid Feb and on. I’d be more than ok with some losses and not winning the B1G, if that meant those 3 saw more mins and were ready for March.
I so agree. Exhibitions can help serve the purpose of young inexperienced college players ,getting used to the college level of play.

Generally agree. Would argue that it’s much different throwing the young guys into the fray at home versus in the beehive at Arkansas. Hopefully those younger guys see a lot more minutes in the next few games at home and then in the neutral site games.

No, Painter knows his talent. If I remember right Purdue had two FRESHMAN guards last year that started on a team that was ranked NO. 1, so Painter knows what his is doing! I find it fascinating that a bunch of internet EXPERTS who know more than a coach who recruited and teaches them players in practice would like to run the show! I have faith these players are going to be good but they need to be coached! We need to have patience! We played one charity game that did not count!

We agree on most things then. As I agree with coach on all but 2 counts.

1. Morton
2. Not making effort in recruiting better mid major transfers.

And just comment on both as this is a message board.

Isn't it better to do that when games don't count though?
Sure, absolutely, all other things being equal I think that's true.

IMO you don't want to put young guys in their first action in an environment where they don't have a chance to be successful. I get that it doesn't count but I don't see any benefit there. Get them some minutes in the three buy games at home and if they look ok get them minutes against a Xavier team that should be solid but a more manageable ask at home than Arkansas on the road.

I would have been fine with Cam seeing more minutes. I watched the game as a fan and not to break down film, but I thought overall he looked fine. To me Colvin looked completely lost on defense and I didn't think BW looked great. They'll get other shots.

Reactions: Boilermb
Isn't it better to do that when games don't count though?
The purpose of the game (other than charity) was to learn where you are and what you do well and need to improve. In the past some coaches have asked the other to play such and such to see how they do against it. Grace is an exhibition game this wed that hopefully allows more to play since I doubt it tells near as much to the older players as Arkansas did. As far as I know Arkansas was different than any previous exhibition game Purdue has played in that it was played like a real game in an away hostile site with talented players that should be tough for Purdue to play

Last edited:
A lot of hand ringing going on. I feel positive coming out of the game just as would have if Purdue got beat by 10 in regulation. We have no idea what Refs were told/asked to do. We have no idea what the coaches had talked about. If it were me coaching, I would want to put the team through as much pressure as possible. AK just happened to hove the type of team to deliver that pressure. When the games count, I will be watching closely and then compline if needed.

The purpose of the game (other than charity) was to learn where you are and what you do well and need to improve. In the past some coaches have asked the other to play such and such to see how they do against it. Grace is an exhibition game this wed that hopefully allows more to play since I doubt it tells near as much to the older players as Arkansas did. As far as I know Arkansas was different than any previous exhibition game Purdue has played in that it was played like a real game in an away hostile site with talented players that should be tough for Purdue to play
Agree that Arkansas was to show what we need to work on and see where we are at, but what did we learn that we didn’t already? Unfortunately, it seems that we didn’t learn much.
I want to say though, I was encouraged that we could stay in the game and almost win with not shooting well and edey out half the game. Will be watching to see if we have improved or will do anything different in the games to come.

My surprise is that we were in a position to win considering.....
1. The athleticism of A
2. The length of A
3. The foul trouble of ZE
4. The poor shooting
5. The turnovers of all esp Smith
6. Away game in a fired up arena

Yet with all that we were right there even after a woeful first half.

That's how I am looking at the game. Watched the end of the first half and OT. Ark is exactly the type of team that should give Purdue fits, and possibly one of the best versions of it, and Ark played relatively well. And Purdue was right there, showing every flaw people cried about all summer

You don't consider the returning NPOY as elite? LOL
The sky is NOT falling.

Definitely need athletes that don't know where to be on defense!

Reactions: BoilerAndy
If I was a space alien visiting earth, and you told me the southern states are football crazy (Arkansas) and Purdue is from a basketball crazy state (Indiana), then get asked "guess which team is the athletic one without seeing them? I would not answer the question correctly.

What does a basketball crazy state have to do with one university being more athletic than the other?

Painter during his radio showed commented on Heide/Colvin/Waddell playing time. Summation “wanted to play them more but ball handling was top priority”.

I don’t have the stat sheet in front of me but how many TOs did everyone have?

Painter during his radio showed commented on Heide/Colvin/Waddell playing time. Summation “wanted to play them more but ball handling was top priority”.

I don’t have the stat sheet in front of me but how many TOs did everyone have?
Here you go my friend:

Smith - 7
Loyer - 1
TKR - 4
Edey - 2
Lance - 2
Gills - 3
Furst - 1

Rest of guys - 0

Total - 20

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
ADVERTISEMENT