ADVERTISEMENT

Surprised...jump off the ledge or understandable?

You don't consider the returning NPOY as elite? LOL
The sky is NOT falling.
I struggle with that one. There are times he's dominant, given the match up. When the match-up isn't favorable he can struggle with ball control and vision. Quicker players can make a move on him as well. Too many times I don't think he establishes his position well enough and ends up with a poor angle offensively, struggles to find his kick out shooters and turns the ball over. I love the guy and root hard for him, but there's a reason he's not in the NBA. I will say that portions of his game were getting very close last year.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I struggle with that one. There are times he's dominant, given the match up. When the match-up isn't favorable he can struggle with ball control and vision. Quicker players can make a move on him as well. Too many times I don't think he establishes his position well enough and ends up with a poor angle offensively, struggles to find his kick out shooters and turns the ball over. I love the guy and root hard for him, but there's a reason he's not in the NBA. I will say that portions of his game were getting very close last year.
He’s pretty elite compared to college talent…not nba talent tho. What matchups weren’t favorable last year for him? Which quicker players made a move on him? Are you more so referring to a guard in the PnR? Cuz yes, it would be expected a smaller guard could get by him.

I felt he struggled to contain a quick 3 or 4 in isolation due to his lack of lateral quickness. The tough part of being 7'4". I believe he had 54 assists vs 75 turnovers last year. When the double (or triple) comes he either has to be in drop step position (which is unstoppable) or innately know where your shooters are immediately. It obviously isn't easy - but I think that's where I'd like him to be to be considered elite. But Big Z is extremely composed and usually works through these issues as the game progresses. But when he struggles, this is usually where I see it and you can tell it frustrates him.

I felt he struggled to contain a quick 3 or 4 in isolation due to his lack of lateral quickness. The tough part of being 7'4". I believe he had 54 assists vs 75 turnovers last year. When the double (or triple) comes he either has to be in drop step position (which is unstoppable) or innately know where your shooters are immediately. It obviously isn't easy - but I think that's where I'd like him to be to be considered elite. But Big Z is extremely composed and usually works through these issues as the game progresses. But when he struggles, this is usually where I see it and you can tell it frustrates him.
While at times he struggled passing out of the double teams, when he does find wide open shooters, they still need to knock down shots. So, I would say his assists would have been higher if we didn’t struggle shooting wide open shots. In regards to the drop step, he often gets called for an offensive foul (due to just being taller and bigger) which also contributed to TOs.

It’s been said he has looked a lot better passing out of the double team in practice and scrimmages, but we will see.

He is going to be exposed (well I assume) more in the PnR more and more this year, so it’ll be interesting to see how he is able to adjust/keep up since he is slower (and tons bigger).

Since we have decent depth, I would love to see him be more aggressive on defense and maybe be more of an enforcer and pick up an extra hard foul here or there to make ppl think twice of coming down the lane. Maybe embrace a “villain” role haha. He does a great job of staying out of foul trouble and I know we need him, so every now and then, it’d be interesting to see him be super aggressive though.

What defense would you suggest?
Anything but the one that let's the other team just score at will. Full court press, zone, half court press, 2-3, 3-2, 1-3-1. Just something different. Then Morton getting as many minutes as he is, is just ridiculous.

You know what you say is true Morton & switching D. Frustrating.

But he does seem to have a winning formula that has been very successful these past few years. I think you are quick to cut at that due to your frustrations. That's ok, but recognize it.
Our non success in March says otherwise. I would rather lose the B1G and BTT and win a natty.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
To answer your original question....I'm concerned.

In the few times I've seen Purdue play this year and reviewing the stat sheets, it appears this team has similar issues as last year's team when it comes to the backcourt.

Yes, we had a great year, but we lost 5 of our last 12 games. We were really struggling at the 2 and 3 at the end of the year. So much so Painter inserted Newman into the starting lineup and played Jenkins a little more.

Fast forward to this year and after all of the offseason hyperbole, I'm not seeing an obvious improvement at the three or backup minutes at the 1 or 2. Are the new guys an improvement over Newman and Jenkins? I'm not sure.

I keep hearing how great Jones is playing in practice yet if you take the stats from the European Trip, our last scrimmage and the Arkansas game he's shooting 31% from the field and 25% from 3. That's over the equivalent of 6 games. The guy didn't shoot the ball well the last two years at SIU so I guess I'm in the "I'll believe it when I see it" mode. As for Colvin, Heide and Waddell, if they can't get minutes because Morton and Jones are better options, that concerns me.

Reactions: Schnelk
Should people be concerned with turnovers, poor shooting and Zach getting half the minutes in a game to play? Perhaps? Is Trey/Zach not going to be the best scenario? Perhaps? However, not all offenses are the same and not all offenses are the same at different times of the year. Same with defense.

Typically, defenses are ahead of offense early in the year, especially those that press or put a lot of pressure on the offense...many times due to the offense not being crisp. I think it is safe to say that yesterday, Arkansas hands were active along with the length and quickness. Arkansas was more athletic in more positions...which is needed for the pressure D, but they also outshot Purdue. Arkansas offense was a lot more free lancing with individual efforts while making some pretty tough shots. Transfers (desired) to Arkansas especially older mature players should adapt quicker due to offense simplicity and they already know how athletic they are for the defense played by Arkansas. I have no idea how much slapping took place, but if the refs officiate most games in similar approach, that becomes the norm for them. I have no idea if any of that played any role whatsoever. However, that may well be what Purdue sees in the tourney and if no fouls, Purdue needs to adjust to that defensive play.

Purdue shooting so bad and turning it over (were any forced...were many looks good?) and yet was there at the end to win it...and should have won it. Any reading this...would you expect Purdue's offense to be crisp early in the year being as complex as many have stated? Having players come back mixed with many new faces still takes time to reteach an offense that may be complex. Every coach starts pretty basic with teams early in the year (just as teachers spend the first 6 week session repeating or children spending 3 years (different grades) in fractions). So, there are reasons why Purdue was not sharp and yet there are reasons why poor shooting and turnovers may have little to do with an early game facing an older team super hyped for the game that is very talented and GOOD...at least yesterday.

Those that believe this is the same ole...same ole could be right. That has merit. Those looking at a few things may not hold that view at this time due to the situations at play. That has merit as well. IMO too early to state a declaration of the team based upon the game yesterday since I can find justification for both sides at this time. Did I read that ARkansas already had an exhibition game played?
he still has to get the team ready for some big games and this may be the last chance until then I expect the next couple of games we see more minutes for Cam/Myles and Brian. You have to improve and you need to win and you have some promising players that need minutes. All three need to take place. Someone needs to really see why Caleb is not contributing more...
The Furst comment at the end of what you posted is my thoughts exactly…in my opinion Caleb needs to be a 18-20 minute a night player contributing nearly 10 points 6 rebounds a game, maybe 8 and 5 whatever. I hope being a non starter looking over at Gillis in a fight for minutes doesn’t affect him.

Should people be concerned with turnovers, poor shooting and Zach getting half the minutes in a game to play? Perhaps? Is Trey/Zach not going to be the best scenario? Perhaps? However, not all offenses are the same and not all offenses are the same at different times of the year. Same with defense.

Typically, defenses are ahead of offense early in the year, especially those that press or put a lot of pressure on the offense...many times due to the offense not being crisp. I think it is safe to say that yesterday, Arkansas hands were active along with the length and quickness. Arkansas was more athletic in more positions...which is needed for the pressure D, but they also outshot Purdue. Arkansas offense was a lot more free lancing with individual efforts while making some pretty tough shots. Transfers (desired) to Arkansas especially older mature players should adapt quicker due to offense simplicity and they already know how athletic they are for the defense played by Arkansas. I have no idea how much slapping took place, but if the refs officiate most games in similar approach, that becomes the norm for them. I have no idea if any of that played any role whatsoever. However, that may well be what Purdue sees in the tourney and if no fouls, Purdue needs to adjust to that defensive play.

Purdue shooting so bad and turning it over (were any forced...were many looks good?) and yet was there at the end to win it...and should have won it. Any reading this...would you expect Purdue's offense to be crisp early in the year being as complex as many have stated? Having players come back mixed with many new faces still takes time to reteach an offense that may be complex. Every coach starts pretty basic with teams early in the year (just as teachers spend the first 6 week session repeating or children spending 3 years (different grades) in fractions). So, there are reasons why Purdue was not sharp and yet there are reasons why poor shooting and turnovers may have little to do with an early game facing an older team super hyped for the game that is very talented and GOOD...at least yesterday.

Those that believe this is the same ole...same ole could be right. That has merit. Those looking at a few things may not hold that view at this time due to the situations at play. That has merit as well. IMO too early to state a declaration of the team based upon the game yesterday since I can find justification for both sides at this time. Did I read that ARkansas already had an exhibition game played?
Rather than jumping off a ledge I believe it’s time Purdue fans started to develop more realistic expectations for this team! Edey was the NCAA player of the year but not wanted by any NBA team. And the Canadian world games team didn’t really want him either! And he’s our best player!

We just lost to Arkansas. They are not Kansas or Duke! Purdue is still a top 20 team, but please don’t get your hopes up too high that this will finally their year!
Arkansas last March beat Kansas in the tourney, borderline top 10 team. Playing on their home court will result in nearly every team losing this year. Edey is a great college player, won’t be a great pro, much different game.

Same old shit to me . Loyer and Smith getting waxed by more athletic teams and playing 32 and 37 minutes. Morton plays 21 minutes and no shots . Thought Painter learned but apparently not. Absolutely must play Colvin and Heide, we need athletes.
Good post, those two shouldn’t be playing that many minutes a game.

Samford, Moorhead State, Texas Southern are upcoming. Lots of minutes possible for Heide, Waddle, Colvin. Maybe Matt thought Arkansas was too much of a hornet’s nest for these untested players.
I think this is exactly correct.

The Furst comment at the end of what you posted is my thoughts exactly…in my opinion Caleb needs to be a 18-20 minute a night player contributing nearly 10 points 6 rebounds a game, maybe 8 and 5 whatever. I hope being a non starter looking over at Gillis in a fight for minutes doesn’t affect him.
I hope Caleb improves offensively because he is a good athlete. However, what if his personality were a bit of a jokester and although basketball is important to him it isn't as important as it is to some. I don't know that he is any of that, but just pointing out that different players are more serious about the game than some others. His peers in high school and Purdue are better suited to speculate on that.

You mean like points and rebounds? :)
i understand what you mean, but If you are the best in college (NPOY), you are elite (best among your group).
NBA or not does not factor in that definition.

It seems he is fronted on the blocks or at least 3/4 by many teams and 3/4 to more behind at mid post. Most teams are concerned about his jump hook over his left shoulder like Trevion before him and Trey now as well. Some of the quicker teams crowd him to try and prevent the jump hook or a drop step with his left leg. Kofi played him straight up and Zach was able to get to a drop step with his left leg... However, there are times that teams overplay that jump hook so much that the drop step with his right leg is there and he doesn't use it enough. If he is low and has his defender moving with him I would like to see him attempt to dunk it much more.

Good post, those two shouldn’t be playing that many minutes a game.
Do you know what "waxed" means? His concern were the 1 & 2 spots but thought the 3s should get more minutes? I think Myles could get some minutes at 2, but only with Braden and maybe Lance at the 1. Cam isn't a 2 but a 3 or 4 IMO

I have posed that question several times in the last couple of years, but not refined to only new guys. I think Jay Price had around 200-300 out of bounds plays when he was on Gene's staff. Personally, I'm not much into a whole lot of different plays. I think basic excellent execution of the fundamentals is more desirable...as if anyone cares. ;)
those hundreds of plays are simple variations based on what the defense gives you. There may be 20 of the same play that applies to what is given ... but would be different due to whatever happened prior to that situation.
EXAMPLE: off a PnR at the elbow, does the D stay tight to the big man, then play 11. Does the D on the block come up to take the roller? Then play 28. Does the D drop back and double the big man? Then play 17. Does the picker slide off to the 3-point line without the D following him? Then Play 41.

All those plays may apply in several other situations.

Last edited:
Reactions: tjreese
I'll go out on a limb ... Furst will fade further and further out of PT. I said it in August and I continue to say it .... and now I'll pour another double.

those hundreds of plays are simple variations based on what the defense gives you. There may be 20 of the same play that applies to what is given ... but would be different due to whatever happened prior to that situation.
EXAMPLE: off a PnR at the elbow, does the D stay tight to the big man, then play 11. Does the D on the block come up to take the roller? Then play 28. Does the D drop back and double the big man? Then play 17. Does the picker slide off to the 3-point line without the D following him? Then Play 41.

All those plays may apply in several other situations.
Oh I get all the various reads and such and certainly some of those reads you just don't want due to the particular strengths of the player at a given area. I remember years ago my brother-in-law talking about the Butler offense having 8 options for a player in a given location. I I tried thinking of 8 and couldn't really do it. I just tend to believe that if not careful players are thinking too much of where to be...what to see and miss the opportunity in front of them. That is just me...I'm not a big fan of what may be too much complication in basketball and a bit more about fundamental execution. In high school the out of bounds under your basket was one of the more successful possession. Out of Jay's Tom Reiter's plays I only recall one. I'm thinking it may have been Doug Lee taking it out on the sideline in the closing seconds I believe. He passes inbound and the player take two or three dribbles and the double team follows and he throws it back to Doug who hits a three ball. I sais Jay Price, but thinking it was Tom Reiter RIP now .

Oh I get all the various reads and such and certainly some of those reads you just don't want due to the particular strengths of the player at a given area. I remember years ago my brother-in-law talking about the Butler offense having 8 options for a player in a given location. I I tried thinking of 8 and couldn't really do it. I just tend to believe that if not careful players are thinking too much of where to be...what to see and miss the opportunity in front of them. That is just me...I'm not a big fan of what may be too much complication in basketball and a bit more about fundamental execution. In high school the out of bounds under your basket was one of the more successful possession. Out of Jay's Tom Reiter's plays I only recall one. I'm thinking it may have been Doug Lee taking it out on the sideline in the closing seconds I believe. He passes inbound and the player take two or three dribbles and the double team follows and he throws it back to Doug who hits a three ball. I sais Jay Price, but thinking it was Tom Reiter RIP now .
I always had my out of bounds player getting the 3-ball ... for 15 years. Worked most of the time. We had two out of bounds under the basket plays. One he went ball-side, the other he went weak side. Same basic play

Reactions: tjreese
I look at the. Headline and the topic of the thread and responded. There are certain posters here that no matter what I say will call it the worst post of the decade just. Eva use it was posted by me! They act like they know everything, yet in reality they don’t really know anything more than I do!

Look at your own threads! With the recent world games, posters here were shocked Edey wasn’t getting more playing time. Some people thought he must be injured because he wasn’t playing. After all, he was the gawd dam ncaa player of the year! And he’s from Purdue so the Canadian coach must be crazy not to play him more minutes. The reality was Edey wasn’t injured! He just wasn’t good enough to deserve more playing time. He probably only made the team because he was the NCAA player of the year and he provided name recognition. As for the NBA, if Edey was good enough to be drafted in the first round, he would have kept his name in the draft. Edey is better than Haas.

As for jumping off a cliff, let’s look at Purdue and then look at Arkansas.

Purdue usually starts out of the gate fast because they usually have experienced players rather than one and dones. The Purdue team that played in that exhibition had the same core of players from last year. There is a lot of experience on that team. Yet they basically looked almost the same as the team that lost in the first round in the NCAA tournament to a 16th seed. Did anybody who watched this game see any improvement over their tournament game? Did they shoot the ball from the 3 better? Did they play better defense? Did they show a new style of up tempo ball? Did they show any more athleticism? Or was it the same old purdue basketball that we have seen for the last 2 decades? Did you see anything new that would make you believe this year’s outcome in the real season and tourney was going to be anything different than what we have already witnessed? Did any player stand out as really elevating their game? Did any of our new players look like they were going to become an instant starter like Loyer and Smith were last year?

I read the posts here and some of you are very defensive about Purdue and their players! You keep talking about how great and awesome they are ! I look in the NBA. And don’t see any of these most awesome dudes becoming a star! I’m sorry you believe Purdue players are the greatest thing since sliced spam. But to me they are more like the fidget spinner and pet rock!

Purdue lost an exhibition game to Arkansas. This is not the NFL or the Packers where people say RELAX, it’s just the preseason! Most people here say Painter was taking this game seriously and was playing to win, and yet we lost in typical Purdue fashion. We should have won. We allowed the lesser team to stay close and then lost a heartbreaker. How many times has this happened before to a Purdue team? That seems to be our mantra and destiny - to play good enough to lose. I kind of expect the same thing to happen over and over and over again. So I no longer even get excited or upset when it happens.

Ok now for Arkansas. Sure Kansas lost to Illinois. But Purdue wasn’t playing Kansas, they were playing Arkansas. How good is Arkansas? I believe most would say they are a top 15-20 team. Most people would say they are a good team and deserving of our respect. Is Arkansas a top 5 team? A top 10 team? No! So basically come tourney time, they would most likely be a 4 or 5 seed! And nothing more!

So in a game that Painter was actually playing to win, Purdue didn’t really show anything new or anything better than last year. And they just lost to a projected 4 seed. What does that tell you about Purdue’s chances and your expectations of them being a final 4 team if they can’t even beat a 4 seed? Was this an aberration? A fluke? Or is this a typical overhyped purdue team not living up to the Purdue fan’s expectations?

My final thoughts. Some of you have tremendous expectations for Edey and this team. Personally, I don’t! Purdue is an experienced team and was playing to win. If they are a final 4 team, they should have been in control of this game and won by double digits! Isn’t that what final 4 teams do to #4 seeds? If this is a final 4 team, shouldn’t we have that cool shooter who can drain a three in the last seconds to win the game? Or make a critical steal or block or free throw to ice the game?

As I see it, we lost. Many others will say we will learn from our loss and we will make adjustments. Do you know how many times posters here have said those exact words? Has painter ever made adjustments? Have Purdue players ever learned from a previous loss? They talk about how that last loss left a stinging memory and it will never happen again. And yet, they lost to Arkansas in the exact same fashion as their tournament loss. To me that says these players haven’t learned much from that last loss or adjusted their game.

Purdue is still a good team and should still win 2”-25 games! But I believe a few of you have very unrealistic expectations about our team’s chances of being a final 4 team. And I also believe you have too high of an opinion of the talent of our players. Some of you are already talking about Miles going to the NBA. Has he shown he’s even as good as Carsen was yet?

And that is why I am not standing on a ledge and ready to jump. Purdue list. No big deal. They will win some and lose some! It’s not like this is Duke or Kentucky or Kansas where their fans have zero tolerance for losing. It’s not like Purdue basketball is like Ohio st football where they expect to win every game every year.

I turn to recruiting. We’re struggling to beat out Georgia tech for a recruit! We lost out on a couple of others. Does that sound like something that would happen to a team destined for the final 4? Or does sound like a typical season for Purdue basketball ?

My take away from the game. We lost in the same manner we always lose. Lower your expectations now rather than being depressed and devastated later.

It’s funny, the same people who post here thought our football team was going to a bowl game this year and that Card was going to be the next qb in the cradle of QBs.

As I said, start being realistic and not a rah rah homer! Lower your expectations! Purdue is not as good as you hope they will be! 20-25 wins. A sweet 16. And nothing more!

I look at the. Headline and the topic of the thread and responded. There are certain posters here that no matter what I say will call it the worst post of the decade just. Eva use it was posted by me! They act like they know everything, yet in reality they don’t really know anything more than I do!

Look at your own threads! With the recent world games, posters here were shocked Edey wasn’t getting more playing time. Some people thought he must be injured because he wasn’t playing. After all, he was the gawd dam ncaa player of the year! And he’s from Purdue so the Canadian coach must be crazy not to play him more minutes. The reality was Edey wasn’t injured! He just wasn’t good enough to deserve more playing time. He probably only made the team because he was the NCAA player of the year and he provided name recognition. As for the NBA, if Edey was good enough to be drafted in the first round, he would have kept his name in the draft. Edey is better than Haas.

Purdue usually starts out of the gate fast because they usually have experienced players rather than one and dones. The Purdue team that played in that exhibition had the same core of players from last year. There is a lot of experience on that team. Yet they basically looked almost the same as the team that lost in the first round in the NCAA tournament to a 16th seed. Did anybody who watched this game see any improvement over their tournament game? Did they shoot the ball from the 3 better? Did they play better defense? Did they show a new style of up tempo ball? Did they show any more athleticism? Or was it the same old purdue basketball that we have seen for the last 2 decades? Did you see anything new that would make you believe this year’s outcome in the real season and tourney was going to be anything different than what we have already witnessed? Did any player stand out as really elevating their game? Did any of our new players look like they were going to become an instant starter like Loyer and Smith were last year?

I read the posts here and some of you are very defensive about Purdue and their players! You keep talking about how great and awesome they are ! I look in the NBA. And don’t see any of these most awesome dudes becoming a star! I’m sorry you believe Purdue players are the greatest thing since sliced spam. But to me they are more like the fidget spinner and pet rock!

Purdue lost an exhibition game to Arkansas. This is not the NFL or the Packers where people say RELAX, it’s just the preseason! Most people here say Painter was taking this game seriously and was playing to win, and yet we lost in typical Purdue fashion. We should have won. We allowed the lesser team to stay close and then lost a heartbreaker. How many times has this happened before to a Purdue team? That seems to be our mantra and destiny - to play good enough to lose. I kind of expect the same thing to happen over and over and over again. So I no longer even get excited or upset when it happens.

Ok now for Arkansas. Sure Kansas lost to Illinois. But Purdue wasn’t playing Kansas, they were playing Arkansas. How good is Arkansas? I believe most would say they are a top 15-20 team. Most people would say they are a good team and deserving of our respect. Is Arkansas a top 5 team? A top 10 team? No! So basically come tourney time, they would most likely be a 4 or 5 seed! And nothing more!

So in a game that Painter was actually playing to win, Purdue didn’t really show anything new or anything better than last year. And they just lost to a projected 4 seed. What does that tell you about Purdue’s chances and your expectations of them being a final 4 team if they can’t even beat a 4 seed? Was this an aberration? A fluke? Or is this a typical overhyped purdue team not living up to the Purdue fan’s expectations?

My final thoughts. Some of you have tremendous expectations for Edey and this team. Personally, I don’t! Purdue is an experienced team and was playing to win. If they are a final 4 team, they should have been in control of this game and won by double digits! Isn’t that what final 4 teams do to #4 seeds? If this is a final 4 team, shouldn’t we have that cool shooter who can drain a three in the last seconds to win the game? Or make a critical steal or block or free throw to ice the game?

As I see it, we lost. Many others will say we will learn from our loss and we will make adjustments. Do you know how many times posters here have said those exact words? Has painter ever made adjustments? Have Purdue players ever learned from a previous loss? They talk about how that last loss left a stinging memory and it will never happen again. And yet, they lost to Arkansas in the exact same fashion as their tournament loss. To me that says these players haven’t learned much from that last loss or adjusted their game.

Purdue is still a good team and should still win 2”-25 games! But I believe a few of you have very unrealistic expectations about our team’s chances of being a final 4 team. And I also believe you have too high of an opinion of the talent of our players. Some of you are already talking about Miles going to the NBA. Has he shown he’s even as good as Carsen was yet?

And that is why I am not standing on a ledge and ready to jump. Purdue list. No big deal. They will win some and lose some! It’s not like this is Duke or Kentucky or Kansas where their fans have zero tolerance for losing. It’s not like Purdue basketball is like Ohio st football where they expect to win every game every year.

I turn to recruiting. We’re struggling to beat out Georgia tech for a recruit! We lost out on a couple of others. Does that sound like something that would happen to a team destined for the final 4? Or does sound like a typical season for Purdue basketball ?

My take away from the game. We lost in the same manner we always lose. Lower your expectations now rather than being depressed and devastated later.

It’s funny, the same people who post here thought our football team was going to a bowl game this year and that Card was going to be the next qb in the cradle of QBs.

As I said, start being realistic and not a rah rah homer! Lower your expectations! Purdue is not as good as you hope they will be! 20-25 wins. A sweet 16. And nothing more!
If I was you, I would quit watching and paying attention.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00

lol so much to unpack here…maybe next time do a TL;DR??

Anyways, Purdue is ranked 3 in a lot of preseason polls by the “experts”, not saying they know everything, but us Purdue fans aren’t the only ones expecting big things from a team that won almost 30 games, its conference and conf tourney and returns essentially everyone while adding some top 100 talent (Colvin at 63 and Heide WAS top 100 before he got hurt).

Re:recruiting…the 2024 class is ranked 15 right now by people who follow recruiting more than we do. And yes, the rankings aren’t always reflective of how good players are, but this is one of the better classes Painter has had. And “losing a recruit to GA Tech” doesn’t mean we are losing recruiting. NIL comes into play, also we have a lot of guards on the team already which may make gicarri think twice and want to go play at a lesser bball school, could stay home closer to family and also has to live up to expectations of following in the footsteps of arguably the best player in all of Purdue sports (his dad).

As far as Purdue losing to Arkansas, who made the E8 last year by beating KU in the round of 32 and also added three good transfers in the offseason, it doesn’t mean they’re not a final four team. It also doesn’t mean they are. But with your reasoning, you could have said that about UConn, FAU, Miami and SDSU last year…all teams that made it the F4. In regards to this loss, I’m not sure what you wanted at this stage of the year…Purdue shooting 45% from 3 and winning away on the road by 15? Guys are rusty and figuring it out, and maybe tried different things out themselves since it was…an exhibition?

Edey didn’t play for Canada team because the pros he was playing with were better than him. Like it or not, he is 7’4 and can give an advantage to some teams for certain plays of the game (please note not to play a WHOLE game). He was unstoppable in college bball last year, so probably another reason he got added to the team.

Myles has shown more athletic ability than Carsen at his freshman year, on par with iveys and shoots better than Ivey (who was a top 5 pick). He is not yet where Carsen was as a freshman, but it took Carsen a bit to get up to speed. Also, Carsen wasn’t playing on a deep team like this one. The potential that Myles has, seems to be what is making us think he will be gone next year…which is what the nba drafts on now a days.

And lastly, we are all tired of being satisfied with a S16 and/or a big ten title every now and then. This team has, again, the POTENTIAL to be one of painters best teams and could breakthrough. They could also flop again (but that team had no expectations). But as a fan, wouldn’t you rather be excited and hype to see your team who has the potential of an E8 or F4 and hope that happens? As opposed to your thinking of “oh we will win some games and maybe go to the S16” and be satisfied with that? Any fanbase would be expecting what we are expecting with the team we have.

lol so much to unpack here…maybe next time do a TL;DR??

Anyways, Purdue is ranked 3 in a lot of preseason polls by the “experts”, not saying they know everything, but us Purdue fans aren’t the only ones expecting big things from a team that won almost 30 games, its conference and conf tourney and returns essentially everyone while adding some top 100 talent (Colvin at 63 and Heide WAS top 100 before he got hurt).

Re:recruiting…the 2024 class is ranked 15 right now by people who follow recruiting more than we do. And yes, the rankings aren’t always reflective of how good players are, but this is one of the better classes Painter has had. And “losing a recruit to GA Tech” doesn’t mean we are losing recruiting. NIL comes into play, also we have a lot of guards on the team already which may make gicarri think twice and want to go play at a lesser bball school, could stay home closer to family and also has to live up to expectations of following in the footsteps of arguably the best player in all of Purdue sports (his dad).

As far as Purdue losing to Arkansas, who made the E8 last year by beating KU in the round of 32 and also added three good transfers in the offseason, it doesn’t mean they’re not a final four team. It also doesn’t mean they are. But with your reasoning, you could have said that about UConn, FAU, Miami and SDSU last year…all teams that made it the F4. In regards to this loss, I’m not sure what you wanted at this stage of the year…Purdue shooting 45% from 3 and winning away on the road by 15? Guys are rusty and figuring it out, and maybe tried different things out themselves since it was…an exhibition?

Edey didn’t play for Canada team because the pros he was playing with were better than him. Like it or not, he is 7’4 and can give an advantage to some teams for certain plays of the game (please note not to play a WHOLE game). He was unstoppable in college bball last year, so probably another reason he got added to the team.

Myles has shown more athletic ability than Carsen at his freshman year, on par with iveys and shoots better than Ivey (who was a top 5 pick). He is not yet where Carsen was as a freshman, but it took Carsen a bit to get up to speed. Also, Carsen wasn’t playing on a deep team like this one. The potential that Myles has, seems to be what is making us think he will be gone next year…which is what the nba drafts on now a days.

And lastly, we are all tired of being satisfied with a S16 and/or a big ten title every now and then. This team has, again, the POTENTIAL to be one of painters best teams and could breakthrough. They could also flop again (but that team had no expectations). But as a fan, wouldn’t you rather be excited and hype to see your team who has the potential of an E8 or F4 and hope that happens? As opposed to your thinking of “oh we will win some games and maybe go to the S16” and be satisfied with that? Any fanbase would be expecting what we are expecting with the team we have.
Purdue has played enough games already to get that rust off. I saw absolutely no change from the tournament game we lost last year. We played exactly the same against a better team than last year and lost again. I'm afraid this game showed us what the Tournament is going to happen again. I hope I get proven wrong.

Purdue has played enough games already to get that rust off. I saw absolutely no change from the tournament game we lost last year. We played exactly the same against a better team than last year and lost again. I'm afraid this game showed us what the Tournament is going to happen again. I hope I get proven wrong.
Purdue has played 1 game against another team, with this roster. Not sure I call that enough games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT